AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I built my home 2 years ago and ran all sorts of cabling to any location that may need a tv. (Component and cat6) Now I need to move out of the dark ages and get couple of flat screen tv's to some of these locations!.

I will say i am happy with my 20 y/o crt. Never had a problem, Picture is great! but i have probabally never experianced HD.. ... it needs to go....

I have spent the day reading this and other forums.. pricing and reading reviews. I am now more confused than ever before. So I have a couple of basic higher level questions.

1 - Plasma or LCD. To be more specific - Has plasma had its day ? All reviews/specification etc that I have read has led me towards going with a Plasma ($$ is also a decision factor). Am I considering a product that is the industryis morin away from?

2 - Internet enabled / Netflix enabled. Should i be looking at the broader selection of Panels who are not internet enabled and netflix ready and just buy another device such as a blu ray player to facilitate this - or should I include this capability in the TV.

3 - I am also looking to build a HTPC. I have been moving my DVD collection onto disk and want to be able to access from any TV (Curently cannot on my CRT) . Will any of these tv's work with media center via some type of extender - or do I need to look for something specific

Folks - Appreciate the input. I am sure all these are answered already, but I am at a point of information overload. Given all that i have read today- I need to step back and decide on the basics. With the information here and once I am clear on the above - picking a good product should not be too difficult.

thanks guys!

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
1) Plasma for videophile viewing if direct sunlight isn't a major concern. Samsung or Panasonic are your best bets. Plasma is still the cream of the crop, though not by as much with Pioneer's exit.

2) Gimmicky, IMO. Get this feature inside a BD player (the Oppo BDP-93 is promising, especially with reports of its Netflix streaming PQ) if you really need it.

3) Any TV that has a DLNA client will do. This can also be done with the aforementioned Oppo (media playback from another file).

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I agree Plasma is still gong strong and had the best image IMO.

As for the rest, buy a simple box like WD Live+, or Seagate FreeAgent Theater+ or any of the many other streaming boxes and get Netflix that way as well as support for streaming you HTPC content. DO NOT count on any TV or Blu ray player to support streaming video files consistently, they are just too problematic.

·
Registered
638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/19633712

1) Plasma for videophile viewing if direct sunlight isn't a major concern. Samsung or Panasonic are your best bets. Plasma is still the cream of the crop, though not by as much with Pioneer's exit.

2) Gimmicky, IMO. Get this feature inside a BD player (the Oppo BDP-93 is promising, especially with reports of its Netflix streaming PQ) if you really need it.

3) Any TV that has a DLNA client will do. This can also be done with the aforementioned Oppo (media playback from another file).

This is good advice. Streaming is much better from the BD player because TVs gimp built in streaming aps. I lose surround and the ability to adjust picture settings when I use the TV to stream video.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts
Plasma or LCD boils down to what your issue with TV's are. If you want the best Picture Quality available, you generally want to go with plasma. If you want "bang for buck" again, this is plasma. If you like a bright picture and want "crazy pop" to wow your friends, this is LED. If you don't like glare or reflection on your set, get an LCD (with a matte screen for the best effect).

On these forums, almost everyone who says "Get plasma!" are picture quality fanatics (which makes sense on an AV enthusiast website). The people who say "Get LCD" usually are people who have issues with some aspect of plasma picture (dithering, can see phosphor trails or feel it isn't bright enough) or they just don't like glare/reflection. You just have to figure out which tech fits your needs best. There isn't a wrong choice here.

I wouldn't worry about an internet enabled tv, since many BD players and all the game consoles do those kinds of things now. Especially the netflix streaming. My PS3 handles it nicely, and while I wish the quality of the SD programs were better, it is acceptable in many cases. (the quality of the HD streaming varies from blech to pretty darned good, but nowhere near BD quality)

If you want a Home theater PC, you might be better off going LCD as opposed to plasma if you intend to use it often and for long periods of time. You may risk burn-in from the PC screen (static icons and whatnot) and in any case, you will get regular IR from such use on a plasma. If you intend to play PC games, just make sure you find a model with minimal motion blur and input lag and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/0

Plasma or LCD boils down to what your issue with TV's are. If you want the best Picture Quality available, you generally want to go with plasma. If you want "bang for buck" again, this is plasma. If you like a bright picture and want "crazy pop" to wow your friends, this is LED. If you don't like glare or reflection on your set, get an LCD (with a matte screen for the best effect).

On these forums, almost everyone who says "Get plasma!" are picture quality fanatics (which makes sense on an AV enthusiast website). The people who say "Get LCD" usually are people who have issues with some aspect of plasma picture (dithering, can see phosphor trails or feel it isn't bright enough) or they just don't like glare/reflection. You just have to figure out which tech fits your needs best. There isn't a wrong choice here.

I wouldn't worry about an internet enabled tv, since many BD players and all the game consoles do those kinds of things now. Especially the netflix streaming. My PS3 handles it nicely, and while I wish the quality of the SD programs were better, it is acceptable in many cases. (the quality of the HD streaming varies from blech to pretty darned good, but nowhere near BD quality)

If you want a Home theater PC, you might be better off going LCD as opposed to plasma if you intend to use it often and for long periods of time. You may risk burn-in from the PC screen (static icons and whatnot) and in any case, you will get regular IR from such use on a plasma. If you intend to play PC games, just make sure you find a model with minimal motion blur and input lag and you'll be fine.

Concur. One other thing to consider is 3D. Plasma is much better with regards to crosstalk, which will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite /forum/post/19636002

Thanks to everyone for the valuable insight. My big concern is that plasma are not a thing of the past.

I Would not be using it to control the HTPC - Just for watching telly... while I do have some concern in reference to the brightness issues - I can put curtains on the windows ...
. The good picture quality and price seal the deal. Now i just need to pick one!

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
Thing of the past only to those who think along the lines of trendiness. The Best Buy Magnolia ad this weekend had the Panasonic 54" 3D Blu-ray bundle on the first page, so it's most definitely still afloat as a viable tech. Those who say "get plasma!" may also have issues with PQ aspects of an LCD (limited viewing angles, poor blacks/contrast ratio, occasional MURA and slightly lower motion resolution), btw, so that argument goes both ways.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Get a Panasonic plasma, it's a no brainer. Then you could get WDTV+ so you could stream your media files from your HTPC or network storage box over the network, plus have access to Netflix. I seriously doubt you could find a better and cheaper setup right now.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro /forum/post/19636470

Concur. One other thing to consider is 3D. Plasma is much better with regards to crosstalk, which will drive you nuts.

If you really care about 3D get a plasma.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 /forum/post/19638716

Thing of the past only to those who think along the lines of trendiness. The Best Buy Magnolia ad this weekend had the Panasonic 54" 3D Blu-ray bundle on the first page, so it's most definitely still afloat as a viable tech. Those who say "get plasma!" may also have issues with PQ aspects of an LCD (limited viewing angles, poor blacks/contrast ratio, occasional MURA and slightly lower motion resolution), btw, so that argument goes both ways.

That's generally what I meant when I said people who want the best PQ generally choose plasma. I put the caveat about people who have issues with some of plasmas limitations to answer the inevitable question of "If plasma has a better PQ, why would anyone choose LCD?"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.