AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a nice Panasonic recorder two years ago. At the time, I did not think I needed a hard drive. I soon realized to get the best quality available on DVD, I would need to get rid of commercials.

All I want to do is edit football games to make them fit at the two hour speed.

I am considering - 1) Buying a refurbished Panasonic 80H or hard drive recorder which will allow me to do it all on one machine. Or

2)Buying another inexpensive recorder and possible recording the game on RAM on one machine and editing it there to copy onto another machine. Is this possible and easy?

Any other methods I haven't thought of?

(I am assuming it will be awile before High Def recorders become affordable-for me around $500 but waiting another year or so may be an option.)

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Option 1 is the best IMO. Only 1 unit to deal with, no hassles, no mess. Option 2 is do-able, record to RAM disc or RW, then create a playlist and edit out the ads , and then playback, feeding the signal into the other recorder. Much the same thing we did all these years with vcrs and making copies of tapes.

A hdd is the best bet. Prices are dropping-the new E50 can be had for $395-427, depending on if you can find the right time to buy-Circuit City Online had it for $375ish last week, and 427 this week.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C
A hdd is the best bet. Prices are dropping-the new E50 can be had for $395-427, depending on if you can find the right time to buy-Circuit City Online had it for $375ish last week, and 427 this week.
I noticed CCs price on the EH50. $50 more this week. I'll wait until the next sale to pick this up.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info.

I see where you can by factory refurbished Pansonic 80h's for $350. Would this be a good deal or would you recommend a new unit like the EH50? (So far I have had good luck buying factory refurbished electronic equipment.)

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
A refurbished E80 at $350 IS NOT a good deal. I've seen open box EH50 with all accessories at Circuit City for $370. Differences between the E80 and EH50 include:

EH50 has EPG, E80 does not

EH50 has 100GB, E80 is 80GB

EH50 can high speed dub to DVD-R at 8x, E80 is 1X

EH50 can record to DVD+R and DVD-RW as well as DVD-R and DVD-RAM, E80 can only record to DVD-R and DVD-RAM

EH50 can high speed dub playlists, E80 cannot high speed dub playlists

EH50 can real time dub DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW back to HDD, E80 cannot. Both can dub DVD-RAM to HDD.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari
EH50 can real time dub DVD-R/DVD+R/DVD-RW back to HDD, E80 cannot. Both can dub DVD-RAM to HDD.
With -RW, it can high speed back to HDD. Correct?

·
Registered
13,240 Posts
Panasonic units only allow a HS-Dub back to the HDD from a VR mode encoded disk. Panasonic units only write in VR mode to RAM, the EH50 records to -RW in Video mode. The only way to HS-Dub back to the HDD from a -RW is by using a PC to copy the RTAV folder off the RAM and burn it onto a UDF 2 formatted -RW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.