Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

This question is directed to all dvd-player owners whose players support MP3s (or that claimed they supported MP3s).

I do not yet own a dvd player, but I am in the process of 'doing my homework' before buying one, and one of the features that is important to me is MP3 capability. So I was hoping those of you have have a player that has MP3 capability could tell me how you're satisfied with it.

Specifically:

#1. What player do you have (make/model)?

#2. How is the sound quality? I know this depends on how the MP3 was recorded, but would you say there's a 'minimum bitrate' at which is sounds good/acceptable on your player?

#3. Does it show either the file title, or the ID3 tag, on either the player's display or on-screen?

#4. Can you FFWD or REW through a single MP3?

#5. Can you skip to a particular MP3, just like you can skip to/over a particular track on a CD?

#6. Does your player support 'random play' of an MP3 disc?

#7. Does your player support program/playlist for an MP3 disc? If so, up to how many songs?

#8. any other helpful comments?

Some of the players that I am specifically interested in are:

Denon DVD-800

Denon DVD-2800

Denon DVM-4800

JVC XV-F80

JVC XV-FA90

Kenwood DV-50

Kenwood DV-5050M

Marantz DV4200

Marantz DV6200

Marantz VC5200

Onkyo DV-S555

Panasonic CV51

Panasonic RV31

Panasonic RV41

Panasonic RP56

Panasonic RP91

Toshiba SD2715

Toshiba SD4700

Toshiba SD5700

My sincerest gratitude to any and all of you who take the time to answer any or all of my above questions.

-hud

·
Registered
16 Posts
More questions:

#9. CD-RW support. Although most of provided players in the list claim support CD-RW, not all of them can play them without problems, like skipping, freezing, and distortions.

And couple more players to review:

Kenwood DV5700/5900

-D-y

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a Panasonic RP56 and the mp3 support is great!

#2. How is the sound quality? I know this depends on how the MP3 was recorded, but would you say there's a 'minimum bitrate' at which is sounds good/acceptable on your player?

Most of my mp3's are at least 160kbit, all of my self-encoded mp3's are done at the highest quality VBR setting with the LAME encoder. They all sound excellent. A good bonus is they play out through the optical digital output.

#3. Does it show either the file title, or the ID3 tag, on either the player's display or on-screen?

Nope, all you get is the track number. It sorts through the files on the disc in alphabetical order. I have a web-based database program I wrote that organizes each of my mp3 cd's and displays the proper track number for the player. If you don't have some sort of index it might be hard to find the song you are looking for.

The first player I bought (and returned) was a Zenith DVD2381. It had a nice on-screen display of the first part of each filename, but unfortunately had a serious digital audio problem on DVDs so I returned it.

Yes.

#5. Can you skip to a particular MP3, just like you can skip to/over a particular track on a CD?

Yes.

No, this is one feature I miss. :(

#7. Does your player support program/playlist for an MP3 disc? If so, up to how many songs?

Honestly never tried, but I don't think it does.

Plays all my CDR's and CDRW's and every mp3 I have tried in it so far!

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I have the Apex AD-600A (modified) and Panasonic RP91, as well as an AVC Soul CD/MP3 portable player and a Dell Digital Audio player.

Of the players you've listed the only one of the above included is the RP91.

IMO the MP3 support of the Panasonics is quite lame. There is no random play support and there is no simple way of navigating the file system. Imagine having 150 songs on a disc and not knowing what is what (since they're all just numbered tracks on the RP91), yet at the same time not being able to let the player randomly choose which tracks to play. Furthermore I'm told that the player has major problems with tracks not recorded in joint stereo, but I encode all my MP3s with joint stereo so I haven't noticed the problem myself.

My Apex on the other hand is greatly superior in its handling of MP3. My discs are set up such that all artists have their own directory, and then all albums from that artist have their own subdirectory. On the Apex if I want to listen to Sarah McLachlan's Possession, on the Apex I go to the Sarah McLachlan directory, and then the Fumbling Towards Ecstasy subdirectory, and then click on the song Possession. With the Panasonic I just search through all 150 songs. Alphabetical is problematic since the song name may be "08 - Possession", "Sarah McLachlan - Possession", or "Possession" etc.

The problem is that the DVD video playback quality of the Apex is significantly below the quality of my Panasonic. (I use the Apex for all region and for MP3.)

But after all is said and done, I usually just listen to original CD anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Quote:

#2. How is the sound quality?

#9. CD-RW support?
Answers:

#1. Malata N996 (wasn't on your list, but might help someone...)

#2. Sound quality is pretty good. I have a bunch of 128k mp3's and they sound good. I also encoded some VBR mp3's over 150k and they sound just as good as CD.

#3. Yes - by file title. Malata kind of reads the CDR like a directory - shows subdirectories and filenames in alphabetical order. No ID3 tag support. Cuts off file names onscreen at around 20 chars, I think.

#4. No, unfortunately

#5. Yes. Can browse file names in the same directory while playing, but not in a different directory/subdir.

#6. No, this would have been nice to have

#7. No. I've only tried winamp m3u playlists. BTW, if you attempt to play a playlist or any non-mp3 files, it will just skip it and go to the next file.

#8. TAGS - If you add ID3 V2 to the mp3, Malata will not recognize it as a valid mp3 file. I've gone and removed all of my V2 tags and just use V1. This stumped me for a while. :)

#9. Have not tried CD-RW disc, but it's supposed to support it.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the mp3 feature on the Malata.

·
Registered
133 Posts
These are great questions. I left a similar post on the discussion of the new Kenwood megachangers. I'd also like to know, particularly on the kenwood 5900 or 5050 how that works. I'd also like to know if you can perform random play on mp3's between directories on the same disc or between multiple discs. It sounds like none of the units mentioned in this post have much random play support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone know any info about the Onkyo DV-S555? I know this much from Onkyo's web site:

"The DV-S555 will display MP3 filenames on your TV screen, and you can program a play list of up to 60 songs from the same disc"

That sounds pretty nice compared to say the Panasonics. But does anyone own one of these and have any more info that they can provide? Like, does it support random play? Do the filenames get truncated at all on-screen? Anything else?

Thanks to all who gave answers so far, and thanks in advance for those who will.

-hud

·
Registered
46 Posts
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Answer

1. Pioneer DV-533K (US&Canada model number is DV-440....)

2. Sounds very good. (I do not test minimum bitrate yet)

3. Yes. Both on OSD menu and front FL display

4. Yes (This is wonderful. Most players do not support it)

5. Yes (Track search, Folder search and etc.)

6. Yes

7. Yes

8. There is also MP3 navigator menu which show folder & track lists. You can navigate whole disc contents and play a file.

I think MP3 function of new Pioneer DVDPs is BEST.

·
Registered
57 Posts

Have RP-56, but these comments pertain to the Tosh 4700 I Had.

1. Toshiba 4700

2. Seemed fine on the ones I played at various bitrates.

3. Shows track name On screen, but truncated to 8 characters

4. Dont know

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. Don't know

8. Had problems with it hanging during some songs, had to skip to ext song to get it to continue playing, also got static bursts in some songs

·
Registered
388 Posts
1. What player do you have (make/model)?

Kenwood DV-5900M

2. How is the sound quality? I know this depends on how the MP3 was recorded, but would you say there's a 'minimum bitrate' at which is sounds good/acceptable on your player?

Excellent, my music is encoded at 320 CBR.

3. Does it show either the file title, or the ID3 tag, on either the player's display or on-screen?

It shows the file title in all caps -- but it gets cut-off to about 20 or so characters.

4. Can you FFWD or REW through a single MP3?

Haven't tried ...

5. Can you skip to a particular MP3, just like you can skip to/over a particular track on a CD?

Yes

6. Does your player support 'random play' of an MP3 disc?

No

7. Does your player support program/playlist for an MP3 disc? If so, up to how many songs?

Yes

8. Any other helpful comments?

Overall, I'm not impressed with this player's MP3 capabilities. For the amount of money spent, it should at least give you ID3 Tag capability. It will not output MP3 Audio via it's Digital Outputs (only Analog).

·
Registered
10 Posts
1. Denon DVD-2800

2. Yes, Very Good. DAC drives HCCD, recommend 128kbps or higher

3. Yes, Track # on LCD and full title w/OSD

4. Yes, FFWD and REW Supported

5. Yes, you can skip tracks like on a cd

6. Yes, Supports Random Play Mode

7. No, Does not Support Program/Playlists

8. Only other limitations of Denon include:

- outputs digital PCM bitstream only w/mp3 playback

- not compatible with packet write software

- not compatible with ID3-Tag

- Overall all I am really happy with the unit. It's built like a tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.