AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story but my 5 month old GWI ended up given to my ILaws as part of a Christmas present. While my husband replaced it with the GWII.

I miss my first GWI!!! I am having trouble with the dark portions/scenes of DVD's that were previously very detailed. on the GWI.

Contrast is supposed to have improved on the new model. And I have no detail in large dark sections of a scene.

I have not calabrated the new set yet with VE, But the old GW out of the box did not have this problem, Just contrast and bright needing pulling back and some weird color tints. None of the settings however effected the GWI's handling of these types of dark sets.

Could I have gotten something not right on this single unit. Any out there who have owned both noticed this problem. This time of year is a busy time to be worrying about my 30 clock running!!

The only change made was the display, STB, cables, DVD deck, are all orginal to the GWI setup.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

No one at AVS has owned both units to compare shadow detail?

I guess its time to start calling UU and Sony before the 30 day runs out. Wish this had not happend at Christmas but conversly was because of.

I am watching intently and maybe the decoder, or 3 screen factory locked alighnment is off. It appears the same as the GWI at many times ...at others...something is just not right, I may be seeing a lack of resoultuion in brighter scenes also across the board. A softer look to the details of faces etc.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
:confused: This is a very interesting thread for 2 reasons:

1. The replies are the OPPOSITE of what we had been led to expect, i.e., that the GW II was the equal or better in every way to the GW I. (On the other hand, I think some people have stated that they believe this year's Sony RPTVs (CRT) are not better in every way than last year's.)

2. Hardly anyone has posted here. This thread BEGS for comments ... unless NO ONE on avsforum except this 1 poster has owned/compared these 2 versions of the GW ... which I find difficult to believe.

Of course, it is possible that increasing contrast/blacks on this LCD RPTV had the unfortunate effect of proportionately losing detail in dark areas. That also can happen in, e.g., b&w photography -- i.e., if you use a higher contrast paper or increase the contrast using a variable-contrast paper, you potentially lose some shadow detail, as I recall from my 1970's college b&w photo days.

:confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Where is mookhead, didn't he have the old GW and then get the new one? I can only comment based on viewing the GWII in my home and the GWI at the store. The GWI in the store seems to be brighter overall, and does perhaps have more shadow detail, but also a much higher instance of whitish haze. You probably get used to that somewhat after viewing for awhile. While I was messing around in the service menu of the GWII I noticed that increasing the gamma gave the TV more of a GWI feel - the whitish haze was back and everything was brighter overall.

As eweiss speculates, I too believe that there is a tradeoff with the new optical filters or whatever the new GWII uses to improve black levels. During bright scenes I feel the new GWII does a much better job than the GWI, the picture just flat out looks better. During dark scenes it has less haze, but perhaps less detail (unless you do some service menu tweaks). Maybe there is a sweet spot, but I haven't tweaked it enough to tell. I don't know if anyone has had the chance to demo both side by side with the same material. I do feel that properly tweaking the GWII will result in a picture that should give you a better overall experience than the GWI.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Eweiss for your own ‘bump’ and ‘6’ for your comments. I know I’m not ‘happy’ with this set, as I was with the GWI and could not understand all the hype on Black Level, The pic was GREAT regardless, and so much better in so many areas over RP CRT IMO the I traded off thankfully for the GW.

I may have been lucky and had a uniquely ‘best of the best’ unit.

I had one stuck faint green pixel on the GWI (never an issue but I am aware it can be depending where/what color/how many) I was excited to see the new GWII had none. Still….I’d take my pixel back.

I’ve been out of pocket today guess its time to get on the phone, my prob. is (I’m a newbie) done a lot in the last year (learned what an interconnect was  ) but barley got through the VE disc which has a lack of explanation on some test screens and what your goal is in fine-tuning. I’m almost brave enough to spend immense time surfing threads/sites on service menus etc, and study hard (copy original settings) - and dig in.

But with Christmas and my business (females have lots of responsibilities at this time of year, is that a ‘sexist’ remark?). I don’t think I’ll be anywhere near ready to ‘tweak’ service menus myself till well after this 30 day clock runs out. So I have to depend on you guys and Sony and UU to figure out what ‘can’ be done.

The only problem for this situation is the detail was there on the GWI before (and after) tweaking with VE.

So in newbie terms I’m wondering…..is it something ‘off’ this unit….and I cant’ effect it anyway.

My inclination is to march back to the store and demand an ‘upgrade’ to a new GWI. My husband however firmly wants the DVI and ordered an STB to go with it….so I’m guess I’m stuck making the GWII work?

Thanks again.

PS. I thought AVS had the market cornered on buying displays....even before anyones seen them in person!. Thought I'd find owners of 'both' for sure here. :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't owned either of the two sets but have demoed them quite a bit at my local A & B Sound store and I must agree with you. I liked the overall picture of the GWI much better. The picture seemed more 3D like and had greater details with shadows etc. I find the GWII just plain flat looking. The rep and I spent about 30 min trying to make it look good but had no luck. At the end, he said that I was better off with my Hitachi 65SWX20B which I currently own.

See if you can trade the TV with the inlaws. This way, you can get back your GWI and they get the GWII.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Mary.. Your GWII has no Stuck pixels. Are you sure? Did you turn the lights off and put it a input with no source and with the VIVID setting. Consider yourself lucky. I have about 1/2 a dozen at least on the both sets I have gotten.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I can't see any stuck pixels on my GWII either but I am not going to go to the lengths you suggest to look for them. If a defect is not visible in normal viewing conditions then there is no point obsessing over it.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Prakash
I haven't owned either of the two sets but have demoed them quite a bit at my local A & B Sound store and I must agree with you. I liked the overall picture of the GWI much better. The picture seemed more 3D like and had greater details with shadows etc. I find the GWII just plain flat looking. The rep and I spent about 30 min trying to make it look good but had no luck. At the end, he said that I was better off with my Hitachi 65SWX20B which I currently own.
Very ... interesting. "Flat looking" does describe the GWII. That's been my major dislike. Do the umr tweaks give it some "depth" and "sparkle"? Those who have done umr's tweaks seem to be eminently satisfied with this TV.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
“Mary.. Your GWII has no Stuck pixels. Are you sure? Did you turn the lights off and put it a input with no source and with the VIVID setting. Consider yourself lucky. I have about 1/2 a dozen at least on the both sets I have gotten.â€

WeeJavaDude, I will pass you a bone to make you feel better (and I worse), Since we placed the display I truly have not had time to mess with it last night I did however while activating the new HD200, (gee whiz…..had a reboot within an hour…..this ‘hobby’ is driving me CRAZY) so I will be high-hoeing off to the 200 thread and the GWII ‘green goblin’ thread.

We bought the store display since when we went to pay all in stock that night were pre-paid (commited) and we would have had to wait on a CO shipment). Before the topic ever came up we knew this set had been unboxed on the floor 2 days prior, (2-day display lifespan does not bother me). In the EXTREMELY poor lighting conditions we set this Sony to an inactive feed and studied it for pixel stick with the reflections of the Displays behind us making it this an extremely difficult task. I was delighted to have opportunity to check for pixels on the spot, (I knew the luck of the draw figures).

Last night after reading your post I go study it (when the thought crossed my mind I have not even looked since we brought it home…I haven’t had much veiwing time) and in our lighting easily found 4-5 very faint blue pixels (fainter than the green pixel we had on the GWI) AND GASP,,,,a green goblin 1 ½ diam circle.

Now as ADGrant posted this is not going to be an obsessive issue for me if I have to go ‘FIND it’, under forced feed circumstances….who cares? (In my book) However the green goblin is a different issue as are all the other considerations I posted at the top of the thread.

See if you can trade the TV with the in-laws. This way, you can get back your GWI and they get the GWII.

This would not have happened but for the fact that my husband secretly desired to ‘upgrade’ to the DVI capability to get rid of a DTC100 RGB converter to GWI incompatibility issue we had. When my mother in law ‘stuck’ on the issue of accepting a display as a gift (Don’t send anybody to my house I’ll send them back to the store etc…….she can do this) my husband blurted “Mom, okay…..how bout if you do US a favor….we need DVI for an issue which you and Dad will never use so please take the other set it will help US outâ€

This whole deal made me nervous there is NO WAY I’m gonna say “lets trade, I like the GWI betterâ€.

I would return it today for exchange upgrade to a GWI if a new unit is available, but my Husband for reasons that I am in fairly equal agreement with wants to keep the DVI (which resolves an older issue) plus possible upcoming situations. Right now we are stymied WHAT do we trade off…ugh!

This weekend I live on AVS and research our alternatives (again) other brands/work arounds etc……..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.