AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 3321 Posts

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Ahh but the 675 uses RF not IR, I had a 1080p sony that did IR and I did get an extender for that one it never would just black out it would just drop out of 3d when it lost sync

also the projector is right above my head

Keith
Hi.
Yes, the 665/675 uses RF but that is susceptible to interference too.
Try batteries or charging, but it could be just an intermittent bad signal caused possibly by something else in the room.

Also you need to pair the glasses whilst the 3D material is being shown or it will not work. :)

Could also possibly be a fault in the glasses themselves of course.

Cheers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know that this Sony does not support 4k 60FPS HDR.
Is it possible to play on this projector in 4k 30fps and HDR? Or is it limited to 24fps? My source will be PC.

Is there any way to use DI in HDR mode? Something like HDFury or another way.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
I know that this Sony does not support 4k 60FPS HDR.
Is it possible to play on this projector in 4k 30fps and HDR? Or is it limited to 24fps? My source will be PC.

Is there any way to use DI in HDR mode? Something like HDFury or another way.
Hi.

Can it display 4K 12bit 4:2:2 at 24hz? If so, then possibly limiting the frame rate/refresh to 30hz (max) may allow you to do that.

Easiest thing to do is to try it and see! ;):D

By DI, do you mean Dynamic Iris? If so, it is usable in any mode. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi.

Can it display 4K 12bit 4:2:2 at 24hz? If so, then possibly limiting the frame rate/refresh to 30hz (max) may allow you to do that.

Easiest thing to do is to try it and see! ;):D
Thank you fo reply.

I can't test it myself because i currently own JVC.
I need to find out if I can run games in 4K 30FPS 4:2:2+HDR 10/12bit on this projector. This is one of the main reasons for buying it.

By DI, do you mean Dynamic Iris? If so, it is usable in any mode. :)
Do you mean I can use it in HDR mode also? This is good news!

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Thank you fo reply.

I can't test it myself because i currently own JVC.
I need to find out if I can run games in 4K 30FPS 4:2:2+HDR 10/12bit on this projector. This is one of the main reasons for buying it.
Technically you need 11.1Gbps for 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 30hz, so that means that with only a 10.2Gbps HDMI setup the 665 won't display it, it would need to be 8 bit.

Do you mean I can use it in HDR mode also? This is good news!
Yes the iris is operable on HDR 4k content. At least it is on my 550(675). :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Technically you need 11.1Gbps for 4K 10 bit 4:2:2 30hz, so that means that with only a 10.2Gbps HDMI setup the 665 won't display it, it would need to be 8 bit.
Some sites claim that the required bandwidth between 4K 24 FPS HDR and 4K 30FPS HDR is the same.

It would be nice if someone could check (for example Nvidia Shield or PC).

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi Guys,

I just wanted to ask if i could get your picture settings, and why you have it setup that way ? I got my 520/665 for a year ago and absolutely love it! Running more or less out of the box settings, and was wondering if i could tweak the picture quality some more. Thanks !

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ladies and Gents,

New to the forum, just received my 665 and am absolutely loving it! Glad to be here, and thankful for all the information and perspectives available! I look forward to learning more from you all.

Very Respectfully,

Erich S.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Old lamp

Hi All,

If anyone wants to sell/donate (I'll pay for the Shipping of course), his old lamp, please give me a PM.

I broke my housing by accident.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey guys. I’ve asked a question on here before for a friend who owns the 665es. I have another question. Is there an option to enable Frame Interpolation on this Projector? I’ve tried on a standard blu ray and then with a 4K movie as well. The only option I see close to enabling FI is the motionflow option. But the only setting I can choose is either impulse or off. With my lcd Sony I can choose another option called cinemotion but I don’t see that option here. I can’t imagine a $15,000 Projector not having FI. Can someone help me find how to enable FI when watching movies? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Hey guys. I’ve asked a question on here before for a friend who owns the 665es. I have another question. Is there an option to enable Frame Interpolation on this Projector? I’ve tried on a standard blu ray and then with a 4K movie as well. The only option I see close to enabling FI is the motionflow option. But the only setting I can choose is either impulse or off. With my lcd Sony I can choose another option called cinemotion but I don’t see that option here. I can’t imagine a $15,000 Projector not having FI. Can someone help me find how to enable FI when watching movies? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi.
The only Motionflow (FI) option for 4K material on the 665/520 is Impulse.
Impulse is analogous to black frame insertion as far as I recall.

Only native 1080 material has all the options available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Tom,
I’m afraid my Input 2 has been damaged by a nearby lightening strike as well. I have a similar scenario where all my equipment was off and on a UPS. What was the cost to replace the input if you don’t mind me asking and where did you go about getting it fixed? Input 1 is showing an image off my Lumagen but won’t show my Amazon Fire TV which outputs HDR for Amazon and Netflix flawlessly through the Lumagen. I’ve tried changing HDMI cords, re-syncing the input, double checked the Lumagen on an old computer monitor and all inputs are functional. Up at 2:20am and need to work tomorrow but this is driving me crazy. Never had a problem with the unit. The lightening was very close though. My wife was about half a mile driving to an appointment and it struck near her car. The car shut off completely for a few minutes and then she was able to restart. Come to think of it the light which is plugged into the outlet that the UPS/projector is in popped audibly and visually but stayed on. Any assistance you could provide or anyone else on the would be helpful.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hi Tom,
I’m afraid my Input 2 has been damaged by a nearby lightening strike as well. I have a similar scenario where all my equipment was off and on a UPS. What was the cost to replace the input if you don’t mind me asking and where did you go about getting it fixed? Input 1 is showing an image off my Lumagen but won’t show my Amazon Fire TV which outputs HDR for Amazon and Netflix flawlessly through the Lumagen. I’ve tried changing HDMI cords, re-syncing the input, double checked the Lumagen on an old computer monitor and all inputs are functional. Up at 2:20am and need to work tomorrow but this is driving me crazy. Never had a problem with the unit. The lightening was very close though. My wife was about half a mile driving to an appointment and it struck near her car. The car shut off completely for a few minutes and then she was able to restart. Come to think of it the light which is plugged into the outlet that the UPS/projector is in popped audibly and visually but stayed on. Any assistance you could provide or anyone else on the would be helpful.
Thanks,
Steve
My 665ES was still under warranty when the nearby lightening strike knocked out HDMI Input 2. My dealer returned the projector to Sony's authorized repair center in Syracuse and they repaired it and had it back to me within one week with no charge other than the shipping cost to get the projector to them. I had a Yamaha AVR (RX-A1050) that was feeding video to the 665ES and several of the HDMI inputs were destroyed on that AVR by the nearby lightening strike as well. I shipped the receiver to a Yamaha authorized service center and it too was repaired without charge and returned to me within a 10 day period. Other equipment such as a Tivo Bolt with an indoor digital antenna connected, a Roku 4K box, and Apple TV, a Samsung K8500 Ultra HD blu-ray player, a Panasonic UBD900 Ultra Hd-blu-ray player, and an Nvidia Shield all plugged into the same system and located in the same AV cabinet were not damaged in any way. None of the equipment, including the 665ES showed any external signs of visible damage. All of the damage had to be caused by the electrostatic discharge from the nearby lightening strike. In a downstairs home theater I had an older Apple TV that was damaged by the same nearby lightening strike, but a Sony 95ES projector and A Sony AVR were not damaged.

Tom

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Ouch.

I wonder if this sort of problem is nother good reason to use fiber optic HDMI cables. No metal connection.

How did the lightning get to the equipment? Satellite or antenna, or via mains power? I don't have any RF gear connected to my house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so after a lot of trouble shooting downloading new firmware to the Lumagen and still nothing I did a “force” download on the Lumagen so it would reload everything not just the update. I read that power surges can affect full operation of the unit. HDMI 1 would then show TV and the computer but not the Amazon Fire TV on a second long cable I had, first cable showed nothing. I disconnected used a new short 18Gz 4K Acitve cable on HDMI 2 (disconnecting and relocating projector to get near the Lumagen) and Amazon Fire TV worked flawlessly with the HDR flag and colors being activated through Netflix, switching between TV, Amazon Fire TV; and computer were both fast. Looks like both my long cords that were in service at the time of the storm got fried. I’m so relieved. . . FYI we have called the power company. We have had numerous brown outs which I’m sure are not good for the equipment either. The power company is coming to check it out as the issue is happening to all of our neighbors as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Haven't posted in quite awhile but today I had a symptom change I thought I should post here.

When I turned on the 665ES last night I had a small advisory popup in the lower right corner of the screen. It said to change the lamp soon. The image looks just as bright and contrasty as it always has and the hours on the lamp is 4630. I would guess it runs about 70% of the time in low power mode. I only use high power for 3D and 4K UHD HDR content.

I wonder if anyone else has seen this warning and how long your lamp lasted after the first sign. I have a spare lamp ready to install, but will push this one until it dies suddenly or the image loses contrast/ brightness. My spare is not a Sony branded LMP H280 but rather an OEM replacement bulb, I will install in the existing lamp holder.
Hey Don

My unit got about 2000 Hrs, and noticing a strange behavior-
The picture looks noticeably dull, But the captions/Menu bar looks very bright. I thought its time to replace the bulb, but I didn't get any message like you got!

Is it normal or something wrong with the unit?

- AKKS

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Hey Don

My unit got about 2000 Hrs, and noticing a strange behavior-
The picture looks noticeably dull, But the captions/Menu bar looks very bright. I thought its time to replace the bulb, but I didn't get any message like you got!

Is it normal or something wrong with the unit?

- AKKS
That doesn't sound like a bulb issue. Did you check different picture sources, switch the inputs on the projector. Review your settings on the Sony and the source. Compare the resolution of your source, 4K vs 1080P.

I'm on my second bulb yet with 3800Hrs and it looks great, but not as bright as it was with only 100 hours. These bulbs tend to drop a bit in output at about 100 hours and then hold steady until end of life when they go real low in output. My old 90 went through 10 bulbs and most of them went dim between 1200-1800 hrs. The 665 is much better on bulb life.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That doesn't sound like a bulb issue. Did you check different picture sources, switch the inputs on the projector. Review your settings on the Sony and the source. Compare the resolution of your source, 4K vs 1080P.

I'm on my second bulb yet with 3800Hrs and it looks great, but not as bright as it was with only 100 hours. These bulbs tend to drop a bit in output at about 100 hours and then hold steady until end of life when they go real low in output. My old 90 went through 10 bulbs and most of them went dim between 1200-1800 hrs. The 665 is much better on bulb life.
Thanks Don! Sony suggests to replace the bulb:(

3241 - 3260 of 3321 Posts