AVS Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3320 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Disney+ (assuming any HDR10?) shows, AppleTV 4K and 665....

Mando for example - I get a picture and see the progress bar as well as audio but do not get video. Any of the 4k disney+ shows do the same thing.

Running most current firmware on both Sony 665 and ATV. Info menu shows HDR is being passed.

Have set ATV to match frame and color, as well as not to match frame and/or color.

1080p D+ shows work fine.

All other HDR content (at 24fps) works fine.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My Buddy's 665ES is shutting down with a message stating:

'the lamp is overheating and the projector will shut off in one minute'

My friends message to me... That has happened four times - I am leaving my cabinet door open and the thermostat in that cabinet is reaching 88 degrees. This 88 degrees hasn’t been too hot in the past to overheat things.

If someone has faced this we will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Ash

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
My Buddy's 665ES is shutting down with a message stating:

'the lamp is overheating and the projector will shut off in one minute'

My friends message to me... That has happened four times - I am leaving my cabinet door open and the thermostat in that cabinet is reaching 88 degrees. This 88 degrees hasn’t been too hot in the past to overheat things.

If someone has faced this we will appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Ash
A projector in a cabinet without taking into account special ventilation needs is just asking for trouble. The 665 takes in air in the front and exhausts it out the back. If the only opening is the front of the cabinet, then the exhausted air has to exit the front of the cabinet, which means some of this hot air is sucked back into the projector. May be okay for a while, but eventually, may cause failure.

Added
The airflow on the 665 is a little different than what I said above. I was thinking it was intake in the front and exhaust in the back. The front does have an intake around the lens, but the other two front vents are exhaust. The back two vents are intake. So the exhaust air from the front is getting sucked back into the cabinet and going back into the projector. Cut a hole or two in the bottom of the cabinet, toward the back and add a couple of USB fans, powered off the projector. That way the fans come on, when projector is turned on.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
A projector in a cabinet without taking into account special ventilation needs is just asking for trouble. The 665 takes in air in the front and exhausts it out the back. If the only opening is the front of the cabinet, then the exhausted air has to exit the front of the cabinet, which means some of this hot air is sucked back into the projector. May be okay for a while, but eventually, may cause failure.
What Mike said... See if he can install some AC Infinity fans to properly exhaust the hot air out of the cabinet.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Anyone running a Lumagen Pro?

I currently don’t have one, read a bunch on it and it sounds fantastic I’m still not sure if I need one.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
Anyone running a Lumagen Pro?

I currently don’t have one, read a bunch on it and it sounds fantastic I’m still not sure if I need one.

Thoughts?
What aspect ratio screen do you have?
What size and gain is your screen?

The Lumagen will definitely help with HDR tone mapping, but depending on screen, it could make a big difference in your system., For example, I have a scope screen and a DCR lens. So along with Lumagen doing DTM, I also have the Lumagen doing the scaling for my DCR lens. I also have the Lumagen doing auto aspect ratio for me. So when I watch a 1.78, 1.85, 2.40 or any other aspect ratio movie or show, the Lumagen automaticlly sets the image to fill the height of my screen. So my system is very user friendly for the rest of the family. On the remote you hit watch a movie, load the disc and hit play.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
That sounds super convenient Mike and that's what I like about the Lumagen as well.

I have a SI Black Diamond 1.2 Gain Screen - 130" 16:9

I'm building a new home (theatre) and it will be done in 18mths (ish) and at that time I'm going to move to a 160" scope screen, new projector, dcr lens etc.

The plan is to buy the Lumagen now and take it with me when I move so I was curious about the improvement in my current system.

·
Registered
307 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Me too! (I tried to PM you but I don’t have enough “street cred”)

Also I’m looking at new projectors and would be curious to know what you switched to...

Thanks!
Hi have PM'd you the link.

I moved onto the JVC DLA N7 (NX7 in the US). Fantastic projector, will take me a while to trust Sony again after their contrast/optical block degradation issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All,
I appreciate all the insight here on the forum and need some advice. I bought a new “factory” bulb but it is different than the OEM H-280 bulb. It is clearly made by Phillips but this one is a 310/245W bulb. I wrote to the seller and he said it’s an excellent substitute as the bulb will output what the projector calls for in any range between 245W-310W. He said that he has had zero issues with them and sold many to people with a VPL-665ES Projector. Has anyone used one of these?

P.S. I have a Lumagen Pro and it is excellent. I wouldn’t trade it for the world, color correction and scaling are superb.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
29,706 Posts
Hi All,
I appreciate all the insight here on the forum and need some advice. I bought a new “factory” bulb but it is different than the OEM H-280 bulb. It is clearly made by Phillips but this one is a 310/245W bulb. I wrote to the seller and he said it’s an excellent substitute as the bulb will output what the projector calls for in any range between 245W-310W. He said that he has had zero issues with them and sold many to people with a VPL-665ES Projector. Has anyone used one of these?

P.S. I have a Lumagen Pro and it is excellent. I wouldn’t trade it for the world, color correction and scaling are superb.

Thanks,
Steve
I would not put that in my projector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone with a SONY VPL-VW665ES having an issue with shortened lamp life? We replaced a client's original LMP-H280 Bulb with 2800 hours on it with a new bulb thinking we had a defective original but the second OEM SONY Lamp lasted only about 1200 hours before giving out. Just today went for a new authentic SONY OEM replacement and the light ignites without a hitch, output is rock solid and bright. There isn't an issue with temperature so am mystified why we can't come close to the advertised 5000-6000 hours lamp life.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
Is anyone with a SONY VPL-VW665ES having an issue with shortened lamp life? We replaced a client's original LMP-H280 Bulb with 2800 hours on it with a new bulb thinking we had a defective original but the second OEM SONY Lamp lasted only about 1200 hours before giving out. Just today went for a new authentic SONY OEM replacement and the light ignites without a hitch, output is rock solid and bright. There isn't an issue with temperature so am mystified why we can't come close to the advertised 5000-6000 hours lamp life.
Temperature and/or environment? Are all the vents clear and do they have ample have space around them?

3301 - 3320 of 3320 Posts