AVS Forum banner

3241 - 3260 of 10352 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes I get that but seeing his other settings I bet it's incorrectly set too.
I think 120Hz is the Dolby standard. And I'd be concerned about localization when playing content above 120Hz through the subwoofer.

Reactions: Bandyka

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I think 120Hz is the Dolby standard. And I'd be concerned about localization when playing content above 120Hz through the subwoofer.
Yes even the Anthem and ARC manual strongly suggest not to go over or below 120hz.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just joined the Anthem family (just added a 720) after finally retiring my Lexicon MC-12. So I am having a weird issue that someone more familiar with Anthem may know the answer to. I setup a 7.1.2 configuration. I am using my Lexicon LX7 for the 7 channels. I am used the 720 for the in ceiling height speakers. I can run through the calibration and channel checks and all speakers work just fine. However when I run actual content all I ever hear is sound from the 5.1 set of speakers. I get nothing from the back surround or height speakers. The display shows things like Dolby 3/4 or DTS 3/4 so I believe the signal is coming from the source properly. I could have sworn it did work once but now I cannot seem to get it back.

Also, I saw something else extremely odd, When I was playing a DTS-Master 7.1 test track. The right back surround test signal came out of the left surround speaker. Truly strange.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Hey Mauricef,

I'm not sure if you got things working yet or not but it sounds like you're trying to do what I tried to do when I got my 720 about a year ago (I also upgraded from a MC-12). I wanted to power my rear/back surrounds with my external amps so I configured the built in rear/back amps to power the height 1 speakers and plugged my external amps in to the rear/back and height 2 pre-outs for a 7.1.4 setup.

The test tones all work fine, sending a tone to each of the channels correctly but when playing an actual movie I noticed I wasn't getting any sound from back/rear speakers.

I opened a case with Anthem and found out that that internal amps can only be used in the following configurations:
5.1.2 (rear/back amps setup as height 1)
5.1 + zone2 (rear/back amps setup as zone 2)

It seems that when you re-route the rear/back amps to something other than the rear/back, the 720 can't route the decoded rear/back audio track out the pre-outs or some such. I personally found this to be odd since the internal test tones generator had no problem routing the tones correctly to all the channels correctly. I'm sure there is some valid technical reason for this and I didn't push Anthem for a detailed reason.

Any ways, I just configured the rear/back amps to power my rear/back speakers and powered my height 1 and 2 speakers with my external amps and everything worked fine.

Since you have a LX 7 you should be able to power your front left & right and center + the height 1 and 2 speakers via the pre-outs with it and then use the 720's internal rear/back and side amps to power those speakers and have a 7.1.4 setup.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey Mauricef,

I'm not sure if you got things working yet or not but it sounds like you're trying to do what I tried to do when I got my 720 about a year ago (I also upgraded from a MC-12). I wanted to power my rear/back surrounds with my external amps so I configured the built in rear/back amps to power the height 1 speakers and plugged my external amps in to the rear/back and height 2 pre-outs for a 7.1.4 setup.

The test tones all work fine, sending a tone to each of the channels correctly but when playing an actual movie I noticed I wasn't getting any sound from back/rear speakers.

I opened a case with Anthem and found out that that internal amps can only be used in the following configurations:
5.1.2 (rear/back amps setup as height 1)
5.1 + zone2 (rear/back amps setup as zone 2)

It seems that when you re-route the rear/back amps to something other than the rear/back, the 720 can't route the decoded rear/back audio track out the pre-outs or some such. I personally found this to be odd since the internal test tones generator had no problem routing the tones correctly to all the channels correctly. I'm sure there is some valid technical reason for this and I didn't push Anthem for a detailed reason.

Any ways, I just configured the rear/back amps to power my rear/back speakers and powered my height 1 and 2 speakers with my external amps and everything worked fine.

Since you have a LX 7 you should be able to power your front left & right and center + the height 1 and 2 speakers via the pre-outs with it and then use the 720's internal rear/back and side amps to power those speakers and have a 7.1.4 setup.
Thanks h3ym03, that is exactly what I ended up doing. I described it several page back. This should be detailed a little better in the documentation. The docs do not show this limitation. My other receivers are much more flexible in this regard.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Thanks h3ym03, that is exactly what I ended up doing. I described it several page back. This should be detailed a little better in the documentation. The docs do not show this limitation. My other receivers are much more flexible in this regard.
Yes this was learning curve for me as well when I first set it up.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello everyone.

I am about to buy a new AVR, and I'm considering several different models, with the MRX 1120 being one of them.

There are really 2 main reasons why I'm intrigued with Anthem; ARC and Anthem is not a mass market brand like the others I'm considering.

In regards to ARC, I have no measurements to support the need for what appears to be considered one of the better room correction systems, and I'm not sure how much better it would do as opposed to the newest versions of Audyssey, MCACC, and YPAO.

So I'm interested in hearing other owner's thoughts on ARC, and if a drastic difference was noticed between it and one of the other systems.

For comparison purposes, I'm also considering the following:
Pioneer LX-SC901 with MCACC Pro
Yamaha RX-A3060 with YPAO with RSC

I'm aware the LX-901 and the 1120 have 11 internal amps and the A3060 has just 9. I'd be driving a 7.2.4 system in zone 1, so I know I'd need to buy an external amp if I went with the Yamaha.

I have received some very good quotes on the Yamaha and the Pioneer from local shops, but there's only 1 local dealer who sells Anthem. Does anyone here sell Anthem?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone.

I am about to buy a new AVR, and I'm considering several different models, with the MRX 1120 being one of them.

There are really 2 main reasons why I'm intrigued with Anthem; ARC and Anthem is not a mass market brand like the others I'm considering.

In regards to ARC, I have no measurements to support the need for what appears to be considered one of the better room correction systems, and I'm not sure how much better it would do as opposed to the newest versions of Audyssey, MCACC, and YPAO.

So I'm interested in hearing other owner's thoughts on ARC, and if a drastic difference was noticed between it and one of the other systems.

For comparison purposes, I'm also considering the following:
Pioneer LX-SC901 with MCACC Pro
Yamaha RX-A3060 with YPAO with RSC

I'm aware the LX-901 and the 1120 have 11 internal amps and the A3060 has just 9. I'd be driving a 7.2.4 system in zone 1, so I know I'd need to buy an external amp if I went with the Yamaha.

I have received some very good quotes on the Yamaha and the Pioneer from local shops, but there's only 1 local dealer who sells Anthem. Does anyone here sell Anthem?

Would also be interested in recommendations here as also considering Pioneer vs Anthem and MCACC Pro vs ARC.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Would also be interested in recommendations here as also considering Pioneer vs Anthem and MCACC Pro vs ARC.
MCACC is the calibration software I like the least. It is too aggressive in it's changes and I think it is because of how the volume works with the test tones. All of my experiences with it I was never able to go off what it set and had to readjust everything. Last Pioneer I had was an SC95. It also doesn't help that I feel pioneer has gone to complete trash

YPAO I actually like quite a bit, I was always able to get a very clean distinct calibration out of it with little tweaking afterwards. It also EQ's the subs independent from one another. Last YPAO I used was in a A2040

ARC on the other hand, is pretty amazing. It give you 100% total control. You set your curves, crossovers, everything. So unlike the other systems where you say I'm going to EQ this to Music with a cookie cutter curve that is some preset of what they determine music is. You can customize everything. It does not do dual sub EQ repeatedly they are done in parallel

I love my 1120 it's a great all around performer. I don't need all that extra fluff the others keep throwing in their systems. If you can take a listen to each.

Just curious if you are looking at the 11 built in amps have you looked at the 6300h Denon?

·
Registered
964 Posts
MCACC is the calibration software I like the least. It is too aggressive in it's changes and I think it is because of how the volume works with the test tones. All of my experiences with it I was never able to go off what it set and had to readjust everything. Last Pioneer I had was an SC95. It also doesn't help that I feel pioneer has gone to complete trash
I don't feel great about the Pioneer brand, especially since they've been bought out by Onkyo.

YPAO I actually like quite a bit, I was always able to get a very clean distinct calibration out of it with little tweaking afterwards. It also EQ's the subs independent from one another. Last YPAO I used was in a A2040
I currently have the RX-A3000 and have been, for the most part, satisfied with its version of YPAO, which doesn't EQ the subs (or maybe it didn't level match the subs, I don't remember). Usually I run YPAO, then use my SPL to adjust levels across all my speakers/subs. I've used REW before too, and I've tried to manually EQ my subs but I probably end up making it worse because I understand how to do it only enough to be dangerous. Having just a handful of frequencies to adjust doesn't make it any easier.

ARC on the other hand, is pretty amazing. It give you 100% total control. You set your curves, crossovers, everything. So unlike the other systems where you say I'm going to EQ this to Music with a cookie cutter curve that is some preset of what they determine music is. You can customize everything. It does not do dual sub EQ repeatedly they are done in parallel

I love my 1120 it's a great all around performer. I don't need all that extra fluff the others keep throwing in their systems. If you can take a listen to each.
So would you say that ARC has made a big and noticeable improvement in your room, compared to YPAO?

I would love to listen to all of the receivers I'm considering, and preferably in the same room with the same speakers. Unfortunately, none of the receivers I'm considering are on display anywhere near where I live. The only way to demo would be to buy all of them and return the ones I decided against, and I'm pretty sure my local dealer isn't going to like that idea :)

Just curious if you are looking at the 11 built in amps have you looked at the 6300h Denon?
Yes, I did have the 6300h in contention, and maybe it still should be, but for some reason I'm just not terribly excited about Denon either. I know it has audyssey multeq xt32, which I've heard does a good job with room correction, but I've also read that manual tweaking can't be done afterwards.

What I think I want is:
  • something that does a great job with room correction, but allows for a great deal of manual tweaking. As part of my upgrade, I'm planning to pay for an audio calibration and just want something that is robust enough to allow for making meaningful changes.
  • a brand that is not one of the normal brands - but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to provide a benefit commensurate with the price increase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am actually leaning to the Anthem MRX- 1120 or maybe the 720. Anyone know where I can get a deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't feel great about the Pioneer brand, especially since they've been bought out by Onkyo.
That also has a lot to do with how I feel about them plus the amount of issues I had out of the SC95 was mind blowing.

I currently have the RX-A3000 and have been, for the most part, satisfied with its version of YPAO, which doesn't EQ the subs (or maybe it didn't level match the subs, I don't remember). Usually I run YPAO, then use my SPL to adjust levels across all my speakers/subs. I've used REW before too, and I've tried to manually EQ my subs but I probably end up making it worse because I understand how to do it only enough to be dangerous. Having just a handful of frequencies to adjust doesn't make it any easier.
IIRC when I used YPAO it did them independently only. Didn't do them independently and then together.

So would you say that ARC has made a big and noticeable improvement in your room, compared to YPAO?
I would say that the different was noticeable especially in the surrounds. The surrounds in YPAO had a brighter sound to them and were very localized. With the ARC calibration they were more subdued. The front soundstage also sounds fuller. the only thing YPAO seems to handle better were the ATMOS modules on my DefTech's. It seems to produce a greater sense of overhead effect. Though I have been in the process of switching out gear and I'm actually installing 4 Prime Elevation speakers today so that point will soon be moot for me. Also switching to Paradigm Prestige 85F's and 45c. Along with switching out surrounds.

I would love to listen to all of the receivers I'm considering, and preferably in the same room with the same speakers. Unfortunately, none of the receivers I'm considering are on display anywhere near where I live. The only way to demo would be to buy all of them and return the ones I decided against, and I'm pretty sure my local dealer isn't going to like that idea :)
Yeah I understand that I had to travel to listen to a few models I was looking at. I was looking at the 6300h, a marantz, Acram, and Anthem.

Yes, I did have the 6300h in contention, and maybe it still should be, but for some reason I'm just not terribly excited about Denon either. I know it has audyssey multeq xt32, which I've heard does a good job with room correction, but I've also read that manual tweaking can't be done afterwards.
I don't have much experience with Audyssey unfortunately. Haven't used it in a long time. I'm not a huge fan of Denon either but it always comes down to the model and the 6300h checked all the boxes for what I was looking for. Not many choices when it comes to 11 built in amps.

What I think I want is:
  • something that does a great job with room correction, but allows for a great deal of manual tweaking. As part of my upgrade, I'm planning to pay for an audio calibration and just want something that is robust enough to allow for making meaningful changes.
  • a brand that is not one of the normal brands - but I don't want to buy something that isn't going to provide a benefit commensurate with the price increase.
I would think if you are paying for an audio calibration they would run what is built in and use a 3rd party software anyways. So as long as you have a fairly comprehensive set of controls you should be good either way. The 2 options that I can think off that would give you the most control would be from Anthem or Arcam. ARC and DIRAC are done outside the unit itself. Which takes you outside of the normal brands, and the focus is really on the performance. Not how many features you can cram inside of the box. That's a lot of why I started looking at Anthem and Arcam. The way I see it is you hit a point/wall where if and when you want to elevate your gear and performance, you cannot go with the Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo's etc. You have to go into the realm of Pre/Pro and if you do not want to go into that realm and you want a AVR you have to look at NAD, Anthem, Arcam, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am actually leaning to the Anthem MRX- 1120 or maybe the 720. Anyone know where I can get a deal?

Thanks!
Contact overtureav.com as they are an Anthem authorized seller and based in tax free Delaware and includes free shipping.

I'm still trying to find out if Sam Kury Electronique near Montreal CA is an Anthem authorized seller (I've emailed Anthem support about this). His price with free shipping and no tax is hard to beat from my research.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Generally Paradigm and Anthem don't allow authorized dealers to ship most of the product line of not all the product line. For an product with warranty coverage it has to be bought and physically picked up from an authorized dealer. So if it is shipped than in most cases it isn't from an authorized dealer unless the dealer's authorization specifically allows it to do so.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
IMO Audyssey sucks the life out of audio compared to ARC.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Generally Paradigm and Anthem don't allow authorized dealers to ship most of the product line of not all the product line. For an product with warranty coverage it has to be bought and physically picked up from an authorized dealer. So if it is shipped than in most cases it isn't from an authorized dealer unless the dealer's authorization specifically allows it to do so.

Agreed but if you check Paradigm or Anthem's authorized dealer website and input Wilmington, DE for example, overtureav is listed. Still checking on Sam Kury in Laval Quebec.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a Anthem MRX 720.
This might be a stupid question. Is there a way to use the the Anthem as just a power amp in the future, for example when HDMI 2.1 is important to have for video quality.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Agreed but if you check Paradigm or Anthem's authorized dealer website and input Wilmington, DE for example, overtureav is listed. Still checking on Sam Kury in Laval Quebec.
Still, warranty coverage may not extend from USA to Canada, although it might not be an issue if one is close to the border. And possibly an address in the US also.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Hi,
I just bought a Anthem MRX 720.
This might be a stupid question. Is there a way to use the the Anthem as just a power amp in the future, for example when HDMI 2.1 is important to have for video quality.
Just run the video around it if that happens. That's what I did with my AVM50V2 before I upgraded to my MRX1120.

It's also not a foregone conclusion that these AVMs won't support HDMI 2.1 at all. It won't support 8K or 16K of course, or any HDMI 2.1 modes that require more than 18Gbps, but they may be able to add some of the other features. Lumagen is expecting to add Dynamic Metadata to the Radiance Pro, even though it can't support over 4K/18Gbps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Still, warranty coverage may not extend from USA to Canada, although it might not be an issue if one is close to the border. And possibly an address in the US also.

FYI...

Just called Paradigm/Anthem tech support and inquired about purchases. The 3 year warranty only applies to the country of purchase where the customer resides. So, in my example; I can purchase a product from OvertureAV and retain the 3 year warranty since they are based in Wilmington, DE but I can't purchase in Canada and get the warranty since I live in the US.

So far, OvertureAV has the best prices.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
FYI...

Just called Paradigm/Anthem tech support and inquired about purchases. The 3 year warranty only applies to the country of purchase where the customer resides. So, in my example; I can purchase a product from OvertureAV and retain the 3 year warranty since they are based in Wilmington, DE but I can't purchase in Canada and get the warranty since I live in the US.

So far, OvertureAV has the best prices.
I purchased my MRX 720 from OvertureAV back in December. The manager Joe was great to work with and they even took my MRX 300 as a trade in. I got the free PW600 with my MRX 720 because they had another promo running from 11/24-12/24. The PW600 was dead out the box and there wasn't any warranty issues at all getting it replaced from Paradigm and I'm in CT and OvertureAV is in DE.

First class place, I would defiantly do business with them again.

3241 - 3260 of 10352 Posts