AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 11267 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Well of course they are grossly over-priced: welcome to the world of boutique audio video.

You can bet they will be neutered in a myriad of ways: multizone functionality, switching versatiity, streaming/playback functionality are usually near the top of the list...all for "improved sound quality" which of course is never actually quantifiable, conveniently enough.

Arcam, Anthem, NAD, etc figured this game out a long time ago: charge more for less, give it a 3-$5000 price tag, make it relatively scarce, and add another 15-20lbs and the illusion of better quality, performance and reliability is all-but complete.

I'll exit before I hear about how earth-shattering the room correction system is.

James
Everything wrong with AVS Forum in one convenient post. Nice!

Why don't you just even HEAR one and then talk? Not even asking you to own one, but actually HEAR an anthem product before you make your silly pseudo intelligent "I have everything figured out about audio" remarks.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Arcam, Anthem, NAD, etc figured this game out a long time ago: charge more for less, give it a 3-$5000 price tag, make it relatively scarce, and add another 15-20lbs and the illusion of better quality, performance and reliability is all-but complete.
While I do think your comments fairly apply to the NADs and Cambridge Audios of the world, because they don't even try to offer anything special to their AVRs except for their brand name, Anthem is IMO in a different category.

(At least Arcam adds beefier-than-usual Class G amps as a selling point, albeit at an ungodly price that's more than an equivalent performance AVR and a good 7-channel amp.)

For one thing, Anthem has never had a $3000-5000 AVR. Their previous flagships were $2000. A little more than the Japanese, yes. But a lot less than NAD or Arcam or Cambridge Audio. (I guess they didn't have some "features," too, though to be honest I find all of the streaming stuff on AVRs - or Blu-Ray players - insufferably clunky compared to a $70 AppleTV.)

As for ARC, all I can say is don't knock it unless you try it. ARC + Dolby Volume is a really killer combination with good loudspeakers well placed.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm still wondering what percentage of consumer rooms can either "support" - or more importantly- be properly configured with 13-17 loudspeakers???

Further-, seeing there exists NO 13 channel discreet system/array in the world, it is odd to me that people place it as essential criteria in the first place. It's like demanding a 6 wheeled car.

I guess it "must" be better.

Bizarre.

James
Saw like 4 of these on my way home from work. Wasn't really looking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Nice truck. I wonder how many powered speakers it has? :D

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
You'd already primed us for a price increase with your earlier incorrect statements about Denon relative pricing.
There's always a constant flow of new readers. Can't see a better reason for resuscitating old discussion from other threads.

However, one assumes the relative price points will be reasonably constant between markets.
The HK numbers are preliminary info rounded to nearest ten-thousand, putting the AVM 60 at the same price as MRX 1120. In the US and I'm sure many other markets I doubt that'll be the result.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I hope my Onkyo holds out until then. ;)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well, anyone who went to CEDIA last year could have heard 13 channel discrete systems in two or three places. And anyone who owns a Trinnov Altitude 32 can do >13 channels of Atmos if they so desire. Unless you don't count non-bed speakers in Atmos as discrete, which would be a strange conclusion.

Edit: Looks like the mods removed the post immediately prior to mine, so this post is a little out of context now . . .

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
With the MRX1120 are there pre-amp outs so that external amps may be used? For example, can existing external amplifiers be used for the LCR, sides and rears, and MRX1120 amplifiers for the 4 additional channels?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
With the MRX1120 are there pre-amp outs so that external amps may be used? For example, can existing external amplifiers be used for the LCR, sides and rears, and MRX1120 amplifiers for the 4 additional channels?
I'd be shocked if this were not the case. I'm sure that in the 1120 you can externally amplify any or all of the 11 main channels.

Now, I think [email protected] confirmed here or elsewhere that on the 720, the AVR amps cannot be assigned to the "height" speakers. So I assume that you need at least four channels of external amplification for the heights on that one. And undoubtedly you can add any number of additional channels of external amplification beyond that.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I'm still wondering what percentage of consumer rooms can either "support" - or more importantly- be properly configured with 13-17 loudspeakers???

Further-, seeing there exists NO 13 channel discreet system/array in the world, it is odd to me that people place it as essential criteria in the first place. It's like demanding a 6 wheeled car.

I guess it "must" be better.

Bizarre.

James
You are living in a legacy way of thinking though. Atmos for example is object based, not speaker based and the home Atmos is spec'd for 32 (or is it 34) channels. You simply tell the hardware how many speakers you have and the objects are sent to the speakers when an Atmos encoded disc is played back. You can however use the new Dolby up mixer to matrix say a discrete 7.1 dts HD Master Audio track to however many speakers you have. Many people are implementing 16 speaker and greater setups. These are of course those using Trinnov Altitude32's and Daatsat RS20i's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In essence there's only one ARC. The differences are external - how the hardware connects and how much DSP is in it. ARC knows which model it connects to and operates/calculates accordingly. The three new models have the same DSP between them.
Hi Nick,

Is ARC version updated on these models?
Or is the same ARC™ 1M version as the MRX n10 range but just enhanced to support the additional speakers for 11 channel audio?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
You are living in a legacy way of thinking though. Atmos for example is object based, not speaker based and the home Atmos is spec'd for 32 (or is it 34) channels. You simply tell the hardware how many speakers you have and the objects are sent to the speakers when an Atmos encoded disc is played back. You can however use the new Dolby up mixer to matrix say a discrete 7.1 dts HD Master Audio track to however many speakers you have. Many people are implementing 16 speaker and greater setups. These are of course those using Trinnov Altitude32's and Daatsat RS20i's.
Not a legacy way of thinking in the slightest. "Many' people are not implementing 16 speakers and greater set-ups. Certainly not relatively speaking vs the 125 million or so US households.

AVR manufacturers need to make money. They calculate demand/$ vs cost and produce products to make money.

There is no consumer model offering more than 11 playback channels, even thought they could "easily" be produced. There are very good reasons for this.

We heard they "may" arrive last year. Then we heard they "may" arrive this year. I'm certain they "may" arrive next year.

I doubt it. Certainly not at any price point that's remotely affordable for 99+%.

James

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Not a legacy way of thinking in the slightest. "Many' people are not implementing 16 speakers and greater set-ups. Certainly not relatively speaking vs the 125 million or so US households.

AVR manufacturers need to make money. They calculate demand/$ vs cost and produce products to make money.

There is no consumer model offering more than 11 playback channels, even thought they could "easily" be produced. There are very good reasons for this.

We heard they "may" arrive last year. Then we heard they "may" arrive this year. I'm certain they "may" arrive next year.

I doubt it. Certainly not at any price point that's remotely affordable for 99+%.

James

It's certainly legacy for Dolby and dts. They have moved the technology forward. They don't care if people go beyond a standard 5.1 or 7.1, the fact is object sound is here. There are consumer products you just need to look beyond the cheaper products on the market. Trinnov Altitude32 with 32 channels, Daatsat RS20i with 16 channels while the Datasat LS10 has 15. The upcoming Theta Casablanca IVa will have 12 channels and it's bigger brother will have 32. The upcoming McIntosh MX160 will have 12. These are the only types of products in my opinion that can truly pull this off right now. It will eventually come to the cheaper solutions out there, the Denon's, Marantz's, Oknyo's and Yamaha's of the world but they will be compromised solutions for some time to come in my opinion.

41 - 60 of 11267 Posts