AVS Forum banner

6501 - 6520 of 10361 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thinking of selling the 205, is there a way to directly connect my MacBook to the 720 in order to use Tidal? I would normally use the Play-Fi app but it doesn’t work (recognize devices) half the time. Here’s a pic of my MacBook inputs/outputs.

A few options all would be wired. You could use the built in audio output mini 3.5mm to rca, depending on the exact model most 3.5mm ports double as an optical output as well. You could go USB to an external DAC if you had one or on the other side of your macbook you may even have an HDMI output.

In tidal's desktop app settings it should show all of your sound output capablities. You would need to go there to toggle the output.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
A few options all would be wired. You could use the built in audio output mini 3.5mm to rca, depending on the exact model most 3.5mm ports double as an optical output as well. You could go USB to an external DAC if you had one or on the other side of your macbook you may even have an HDMI output.

In tidal's desktop app settings it should show all of your sound output capablities. You would need to go there to toggle the output.
I do not have a HDMI output on this computer. I guess I’ll continue to use Play-Fi even though the sound quality is less than desirable.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I do not have a HDMI output on this computer. I guess I’ll continue to use Play-Fi even though the sound quality is less than desirable.
The 205 native app or usb would be the best but if your looking to bypass the 205 and your macbook is 2013-2015, the 3.5mm headphone port is also an optical spdif output that supports high bit rates up to 192khz that can be connected to the oppo or the anthem directly as well. I looked it up https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730

You would need a mini toslink to toslink cable https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

Next best is 3.5mm male to rca https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
The 205 native app or usb would be the best but if your looking to bypass the 205 and your macbook is 2013-2015, the 3.5mm headphone port is also an optical spdif output that supports high bit rates up to 192khz that can be connected to the oppo or the anthem directly as well. I looked it up https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202730

You would need a mini toslink to toslink cable https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022902

Next best is 3.5mm male to rca https://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815

Thank you very much @eyecatcher127! The reason I ask is because I’m thinking of selling the 205 and trying to see what my options are other than Play-Fi until I buy a new DAC. The 205s DAC does a great job and sounds fantastic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
You can use a Mini-Display/Thunderbolt 1 port to HDMI adapter - it passes audio. I've got a similar, if not same model MBP, 2011 with no HDMI just like you. Video on the other hand, I've had issues connecting to AVM60, and zero issues connecting to AVM60 via Oppo 203 or directly to my display. Not sure exactly why direct connect from laptop to AVM has video issues (no audio issues) but Oppo acts as the perfect middleman.

EDIT: I should add, the adapter I have is a cheapie, and that could be part of the reason the AVM does not quite work right, I've only tried the one adapter. Adapters can be strange critters.....:eek:

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
You can use a Mini-Display/Thunderbolt 1 port to HDMI adapter - it passes audio. I've got a similar, if not same model MBP, 2011 with no HDMI just like you. Video on the other hand, I've had issues connecting to AVM60, and zero issues connecting to AVM60 via Oppo 203 or directly to my display. Not sure exactly why direct connect from laptop to AVM has video issues (no audio issues) but Oppo acts as the perfect middleman.

Thank you @Jonas2 - Thunderbolt 1...I could not think of the name to research. Thinking of selling my 205 and wanted to see what it sounded like to direct connect to my MRX-720 and stream Tidal.

Like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Thank you @Jonas2 - Thunderbolt 1...I could not think of the name to research. Thinking of selling my 205 and wanted to see what it sounded like to direct connect to my MRX-720 and stream Tidal.
Something along this line:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0134V3KIA

or:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Mini-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter/dp/B00NH13K8S/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XYBMG0Z341VY2Y3QHX01

The MDP-HDMI direct type cable might be better than an adapter, one less thing in the chain!

HA HA! We posted at the same time....:eek:

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

Ha ha...ordered the cable and the other monoprice cables that @eyecatcher127 suggested. We’ll see which works best. Thanks gents!

Reactions: Jonas2

·
Registered
678 Posts
Have you compared sound quality using:

1. Digital inputs - audio player (e.g. foobar2000)
a) Optical
b) Coaxial
c) HDMI

2. Play-Fi streaming (Critical Listening Mode) - media server (e.g. foobar2000 UPnP/DLNA server)

Stereo, only lossless - 44.1/16, 96/24, 192/24.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Personally I prefer the optical using an external dac with non oversampling bit rates true to the source. I find the analog section very clean. Unremarkable difference between optical and coaxial. Perhaps optical has the least amount of jitter an noise in my setup. Also note using hdmi you are limited to 16bit 44/48 on 2ch. you can only use the higher bit rates in mutli channel pcm but then no ablity to use sound processing modes. For critical 2 ch music I typicallly dont use any.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Anyone have an issue when hooking up XLR and getting popping through your speakers? With RCA, it doesnt happen.. other than adding back 1 XLR at a time, any otherway to diagnose?
Issue solved. My dealer talked to his Anthem rep who told him just to order me a new one.

Reactions: toddman36

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys! I am newish to the AV world, so I am hoping someone can assist me. I have an Anthem MRX 1120 with x2 Persona B's and the Persona C. Before I was running just two Persona B's with no center and I didn't budge the volume past -35 and they sounded so clear (and great). I have ran ARC, but I find that I have to raise the volume to around -20 for it to sound clear and loud with the Persona C.

I was wondering if anyone could share what settings for the center channel they have in their AVR that I could try when I get home.

BTW here are the specifications for the Persona C

Design

6-driver, 3 way center channel bass reflex

Crossover

3rd order electro-acoustic at 2.5kHz (tweeter/mid); 3rd order 700Hz

Frequency Response
On-Axis

+/- 2dB from 43Hz - 45kHz

Frequency Response
30° Off-Axis

+/- 2dB from 43Hz - 20kHz

High Frequency Driver

1" (25mm) Truextent® Beryllium dome, ferro-fluid damped / cooled, Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA™) Tweeter Lens, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) optimized pole piece assembly

Mid/Bass Frequency Driver

4" (100mm) Truextent® Beryllium driver, Perforated Phase-Aligning (PPA™) Lens, SHOCK-MOUNT™ Isolation Mounting System, 1" high-temp voice coil

Low Frequency Driver

Four 7" (178mm) high-excursion X-PAL™ drivers, overmolded Active Ridge Technology (ART™) surrounds, SHOCK-MOUNT™ Isolation Mounting System, 1.5" high-temp tandem voice coil

Low Frequency Extension

24Hz

Sensitivity
Room / Anechoic

93 dB / 90 dB

Impedance

Compatible with 8 ohms

Thank You

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Hello all. New, very happy owner of an MRX720. Need help with one thing. Ran ARC when I initially installed the machine. Just installed ATMOS ceiling speakers and ran ARC again. At the end of the process, it prompted me to save the ARC file. Been trying to upload to the machine but that option is greyed out. How can I get that new ARC file into the receiver. Thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Did you click the button "Calculate"? :)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Haha. That is the most funny thing to mention here BUT also the ANSWER to the question why Upload button was greyed out.
Did you click the button "Calculate"? :)
Oh man! I have officially been humbled. How silly of me! Now it works fine. To my defense, I was sure the first time I ran ARC it completed the entire sequence on its own. Regardless, thanks for bailing me out.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Oh man! I have officially been humbled. How silly of me! Now it works fine. To my defense, I was sure the first time I ran ARC it completed the entire sequence on its own. Regardless, thanks for bailing me out.
If you run ARC in auto, I think it does do the upload automatically. In Manual mode, you do have to click calculate then upload.

6501 - 6520 of 10361 Posts