AVS Forum banner

7281 - 7300 of 10394 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
... do you have an idea why you asked me to try your speaker S/N? This is very arbitrary, I think. Is it downloading a calibration for my S/N mic from the Internet? If so, Anthem needs to add my S/N into the DB to make this work. If so, this is such a simple fix!!!

Thank you, rondongon!
You are welcome, that is my MIC S/N, but you did the hard work, it was this that gave me the clue :
Note: AUDIO_RECORDER[audio_recorder.cpp[54]]: Failed to load a curve correction for the 1b35_1004_mac measurements will not be calibrated (Calibration file version is newer than this program. Check for updates.).
"Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connections."
stop
Genesis does download the MIC cal file after you enter your MIC S/N and saves it to ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files/330975.cal

It seems from the surface that Genesis is checking the MIC calibration file version, and would not proceed if it does not support it. Though it makes little sense that it doesn't support yours. You can "Report an Issue" under "Help" in ARC Genesis. Anthem AV will later on ask you to do that on top of email/phone followup...

PS: you can download the old software and the cal file from https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

·
Registered
29 Posts
You are welcome, that is my MIC S/N, but you did the hard work, it was this that gave me the clue :
PS: you can download the old software and the cal file from https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php
Thanks again, @rondongon and @cpreilly11. Yes, I echo a number of others who have mentioned everything is hotter here. In my case, my LRC is all atleast +6dB (!!!) and the surrounds are +5 more. I guess my room is really just huge.

Anyway, I do also think the ARC system, when worked via a laptop is way more comprehensive. I like all the information that I get. I also think it sounds better and put together in the surround department. I was using the Anthem ARC iOS app before this; ARC genesis on my mac is better audio.

I will be checking out music tomorrow.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Doug, I'm using Harmony Elite with MRX720, works great! ...I doubt Logitech have different codes for certain remotes, but perhaps it worth trying the Harmony One again with a completely fresh setup from scratch to ensure you have the latest codes loaded?

Let us know how you get on!
THanks for the input....are you using IR or wifi/IP?

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Guys, wondering if installing Genesis overwrites ARC-2 software? ...I'm using Win10, but want to be able to run both in these early days of Genesis just in case.

cheers

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hi Guys, wondering if installing Genesis overwrites ARC-2 software? ...I'm using Win10, but want to be able to run both in these early days of Genesis just in case.

cheers

No it doesn’t. It is a separate installation folder by itself. It won’t overwrite the ARC 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Just played familiar scenes in Wonder Woman. Holy moly, I had to set the volume to -33 to keep the house together.

The levels are way cranked up. Sounds great, but the levels are overdone.

I’m listening at -25db now. Sounds awesome and still bearable. LoL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
ARC Genesis sets subwoofer trim to -12

Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
@Bill-99
Mine is in for repair right now for that exact same reason. It's getting the board containing the NIC replaced.
That's good to know, thanks. I vaguely recall seeing others have NIC failures either on this or the AVM 60 thread. Never fun when it happens but I'm still under warranty so... fingers crossed and all that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Genesis does download the MIC cal file after you enter your MIC S/N and saves it to ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files/330975.cal

It seems from the surface that Genesis is checking the MIC calibration file version, and would not proceed if it does not support it. Though it makes little sense that it doesn't support yours. You can "Report an Issue" under "Help" in ARC Genesis. Anthem AV will later on ask you to do that on top of email/phone followup...

@rondongon, I checked ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files this AM and I found two files in there; one for your S/N mic, fully populated (about 29K bytes). My file for my S/N mic? 8 bytes. (Yes, EIGHT bytes.) Inside, I see the string "NotFound". BTW, how can I read this calibration file? I saw another person compare the JSON file calibrations from before and after.

I have had this MRX 720 (purchased brand new) for less than one month (had this unit less than a month; had to return the first one sent to me owing to other issues). Why should I have to go through these hijinks to make this work? Is the ARC software still beta?

BTW, from the link you sent in your post, it appears like I was able to download the software for ARC, but it is not genesis. Am I not able to run genesis for my system and my S/N mic? The link, per Anthem, is clearly for ARC-1 products. My mic is listed as an ARC-1 Anthem on Sound Preferences. Is this not the mic that I should see shipped with my new Anthem MRX 720? I have many more questions now...

·
Registered
255 Posts
@rondongon, I checked ~/Library/Preferences/ARC Genesis/calibration_files this AM and I found two files in there; one for your S/N mic, fully populated (about 29K bytes). My file for my S/N mic? 8 bytes. (Yes, EIGHT bytes.) Inside, I see the string "NotFound". BTW, how can I read this calibration file? I saw another person compare the JSON file calibrations from before and after.

The zip you downloaded contains the old software AND the calibration file for the Mic S/N you enter in that link. The Mic cal file is binary same for old/new ARC software. So check that Mic cal file in the downloaded zip, is it also 8bytes or regular size? If it's the latter, just simply copy it to the previous directory I listed on macOs and you're set.

If it's the former, then contact AnthemAV and tell them your mic cal file is invalid,... and they'll surely help you.

PS: The JSON like cal files are the ARC cal files, not the MIC cal file.

·
Registered
837 Posts

I have had this MRX 720 (purchased brand new) for less than one month (had this unit less than a month; had to return the first one sent to me owing to other issues). Why should I have to go through these hijinks to make this work? Is the ARC software still beta?

BTW, from the link you sent in your post, it appears like I was able to download the software for ARC, but it is not genesis. Am I not able to run genesis for my system and my S/N mic? The link, per Anthem, is clearly for ARC-1 products. My mic is listed as an ARC-1 Anthem on Sound Preferences. Is this not the mic that I should see shipped with my new Anthem MRX 720? I have many more questions now...
Did you download the file here-

https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

As far as the mic file, it should be populated....

I really don't know what to tell you, I am having other issues with Genesis (critical audio error) that I can't find a solution for, and this is on a laptop that ran ARC1,2 numerous times over the past few years without any trouble....I'll probably wait till tomorrow and talk to support or just wait and keep ARC 2 till things straighten out....

Reactions: Dylanthomasfan

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did you download the file here-

https://www.anthemarc.com/downloads/index.php

As far as the mic file, it should be populated....

I really don't know what to tell you, I am having other issues with Genesis (critical audio error) that I can't find a solution for, and this is on a laptop that ran ARC1,2 numerous times over the past few years without any trouble....I'll probably wait till tomorrow and talk to support or just wait and keep ARC 2 till things straighten out....
I get that (re: copy the calibration file; and no, it is 29K, like @rondongon's); it is the fact that my S/N is tied to an older ARC that worries me. Should I be bummed that my mic is an older model? Was it not OK to do ARC genesis (why then am I downloading it from the old hardware link)? Couple this with the other OSD SW version listing issues that I see (been in touch with Anthem already), these are not the gotchas you want when you drop serious money on audio equipment. I know an MRX 720 isn't exactly super expensive with this activity, but it is, to me. The least I expect from Anthem is that they package their product well and put the right mics in the right boxes.

But the sound from this receiver is very sweet, and as proof of my thinking on that front, an MCA 525 is on its way (hopefully by tomorrow). I just pray that it was (a) packaged well, and (b) doesn't show weird issues. Thankfully, there is less software on that product and I shouldn't see as many issues on it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’ll repeat again, the Mic calibration file is the same regardless wether the old or new Genesis ARC software is used. The download link I provided above is the only link I recall where you can get the mic calibration file manually. As to why Genesis does not download correctly some Mic cal files, who knows and folks need to report this by contacting Anthem either by phone, email or through ARC Genesis Help.

Arc Genesis is release 1.0.0, pretty much beta software, so issues are expected. GL.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hello All,

I just tried calibration using genesis and so did not right. It sounded so thin and upon looking at trim levels my subwoofer is set to -12. I have dual sub and so went back and redid the calibration using arc2 and see the subwoofer trim set to 0 and sounded much better.

Before running calibration I level matched each sub individually to 72db. Does anyone have their sub set so low?

Thanks
Anand
I did the same as you but ended up with a +6 for my two SVS subs, which is higher than before.

I think it's taking much more thorough room measurements. Are you in a very small, square room with powerful subwoofers?

·
Registered
413 Posts
My calibration data wouldn’t download, and support helped with the workaround until the bug gets fixed. I manually downloaded the legacy software from anthemav.com by entering my mic serial number. In the archive is a calibration file that I had to rename - remove the word Anthem from it so it was just 111111.cal - and then placed it in %localappdata%\ARC Genesis\calibration_files\ (this is normally a hidden folder but put that string in explorer and it shows up). After that everything worked great.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It seems like 2 issues are going on with the Genesis install...first issue is the the app trying to find the mic file and the second issue (for me) is once the mic file is found a second issue appears, i.e., the "a failure message: "Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connection." error...maybe they are associated errors...as, has been mentioned, this is ver 1.0......

·
Registered
413 Posts
It seems like 2 issues are going on with the Genesis install...first issue is the the app trying to find the mic file and the second issue (for me) is once the mic file is found a second issue appears, i.e., the "a failure message: "Critical audio problem. Please check the microphone and speaker connection." error...maybe they are associated errors...as, has been mentioned, this is ver 1.0......

Did you rename the calibration file? Doing this fixed that error for me.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hello All,

Thanks
Anand
Same experience here. The sound after Genesis pales severely in comparison to the ARC2 profile I was running. Too bright, thin, soundstage terrible. Bass virtually non-existent. Surrounds way too high. Subs set to -9 in the profile, but with a +3dB room gain set by Genesis, they ended up -6 when uploaded. I cranked up room gain to +6dB which helped some with low end, but everything else still lacked that balance and sparkle that I was used to with ARC2.

I used Anthem's suggestion of varying the mic height for measure 2 - 5. I never did that with ARC2. Maybe that's the problem. As soon as I get a spare hour, I am going to rerun Genesis keeping the mic at ear height for all 5 measures and see if that makes a difference.

I can confirm like many others have reported, everything was set +3db hot over my ARC2 profile, except for my subs.

The good news, Genesis recognized my mic s/n on the first try and had no trouble downloading the calibration file. As far as the mechanics of the process went, everything was flawless. No issue, no errors. Just less than thrilled with the settings that Genesis came up with.

7281 - 7300 of 10394 Posts