AVS Forum banner

8201 - 8220 of 10365 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi everyone, did you hear anthem 720/1120 vs arcam 550 in one system and room? could you share your experience? in my country i can 550 the same price 1120 (buying 1120 is very hard but 550), i"m focus to SQ
Tks all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
When I purchased the MRX510 , I dropped the external amp completely as I no longer needed it (was using a BK 200.5 amp and pre/pro). At the time I was using Klipsh Forte speakers and then changed to PSA 210's for LCR when those were first released.

When I bought the Fortes 25 or so years ago, it was because I couldnt find speakers with the punch of a live rock concert until I tried these. The PSA 210 was the only speaker to better them without spending huge money. For 2.0 listening, the Forte would win due to low end, but with the 5.2 system I have now-the 210's sounded better.

Most do not use external amps with the PSA speakers, I am interested in seeing how you make out here.

PSA is in a major growth spurt that has caused some delays that are not the norm for them but its all for the better. I believe yiou are getting the newer tweeter driver at the same price as the old one. This is one of the many improvements Tom has been making.
Tom has been great and responsive via email. My order had unusual delays (power outages at Tom's shop) on top of me knowing going in that some parts were on back order. I've waited a long time, but it looks like everything is going to be delivered Tuesday. I'm quite excited and can't wait to hear the results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should also try setting 'Room Gain' to zero, and instead use 'Deep Bass Boost' to tilt the low end higher. I found this cleared up that 'muddy' effect quite nicely.

I did that and wow what a difference it made. I also reduced the max eq fq of the fronts while leaving the eq for the surrounds and heights a bit higher (did not know we could do that) and I’m amazed with how good the sound is.
Thanks ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
I did that and wow what a difference it made. I also reduced the max eq fq of the fronts while leaving the eq for the surrounds and heights a bit higher (did not know we could do that) and I’m amazed with how good the sound is.
Thanks ;)
How high was it initially set by ARC? Mine was set to 4.25 and I lowered it a bit. Dropping it to 0 sounds a bit flat though. Another option is to look into the high frequency extension of the sub. Mine was set to 250Hz, which I dropped down to 200Hz. That also clears some of the muddiness.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you get a response from them? Any update or anything?
Yeah, I was told it was a known issue, and that they're working on it. The support guy said he thought it would be fixed in the next firmware release, but wasn't 100% sure and couldn't provide an ETA.

I am left wondering why any studio would press a UHD blu-ray with a lossy DTS:X soundtrack, which is what's been done here and presumably what's confusing equipment. I mean, sure, I'm annoyed that my Anthem can't play it, and that it's taking so long to get a fix out, but once that's resolved I'll still be annoyed that I bought a UHD disc with a lossy soundtrack. ;)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yeah, I was told it was a known issue, and that they're working on it. The support guy said he thought it would be fixed in the next firmware release, but wasn't 100% sure and couldn't provide an ETA.

I am left wondering why any studio would press a UHD blu-ray with a lossy DTS:X soundtrack, which is what's been done here and presumably what's confusing equipment. I mean, sure, I'm annoyed that my Anthem can't play it, and that it's taking so long to get a fix out, but once that's resolved I'll still be annoyed that I bought a UHD disc with a lossy soundtrack. ;)
I guess it was an early release,and a stupid mistake. If it was lossless variable bit rate, the file size would be smaller. No-one uses it so I guess antbem never tested.

I'm just annoyedas my marathon of the series came to a halt. For months now... I'm sick of waiting. It is nearly a year since their last firmware update. And this is probably the most e,xpensive received out there. At least it is in Australia.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How high was it initially set by ARC? Mine was set to 4.25 and I lowered it a bit. Dropping it to 0 sounds a bit flat though. Another option is to look into the high frequency extension of the sub. Mine was set to 250Hz, which I dropped down to 200Hz. That also clears some of the muddiness.

It was originally set at 3.625 i dropped it to 2.0 and set the deep bass boost at 2.5.
I’ll look into the high freq extension of the sub this evening!
Many thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone have issues with there wifi not connecting or dropping connection. I can get it to work on playfi but not ARC 2 or Genesis. IP control is on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Anyone coming from a Yamaha and regretting the change?

·
Registered
657 Posts

I have a Yamaha 2060 in family room and Anthem AVM 60 in theatre room that replaced a Marantz. I bought the Yamaha before I bought the Anthem. If I could do it again I would have bought an Anthem Receiver for the family room. As it happens I will most likely do that when Anthem releases new models.

Yamaha is good, very reliable but my theatre room has never sounded better, in fact it reminds me of when I had a Halo C2 processor before the Marantz. I think a lot has to do with ARC room correction and I am sure my family room can benefit from better room correction.

Reactions: Deckard71

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just upgraded from a Yamaha 2060 to the MRX 1120 a few days ago. Initial impressions are good but I’m still learning how to use ARC and trying to get things dialed in. The biggest difference is the lack of DSP modes and other Yamaha goodies like built in streaming apps and better integration with the Apple ecosystem. I decided I could live without those features to get better sound. I’m pretty happy with my first ARC run for movies but trying to get better low end for music. Lots of good information over in the ARC Genesis thread on options to try.

Good luck with your decision!

·
Premium Member
23,208 Posts
Just upgraded from a Yamaha 2060 to the MRX 1120 a few days ago. Initial impressions are good but I’m still learning how to use ARC and trying to get things dialed in. The biggest difference is the lack of DSP modes and other Yamaha goodies like built in streaming apps and better integration with the Apple ecosystem. I decided I could live without those features to get better sound. I’m pretty happy with my first ARC run for movies but trying to get better low end for music. Lots of good information over in the ARC Genesis thread on options to try.

How did you find the YPAO eq for subs ? I was told the eq on YPAO being 64 bit is quite good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
858 Posts
How did you find the YPAO eq for subs ? I was told the eq on YPAO being 64 bit is quite good
It's still terrible compared to Anthem. I am really really hoping Yamaha completely overhauls their room correction and microphone in the next series of receivers (new design finally).

·
Premium Member
23,208 Posts
It's still terrible compared to Anthem. I am really really hoping Yamaha completely overhauls their room correction and microphone in the next series of receivers (new design finally).

Thanks, I will stick with the AVM 60. I was intrigued by there 64 bit eq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
609 Posts

Thanks. That’s the dilemma, the Yamaha is super convenient regarding app and networking in general. Also very handy to have 2 patterns, all the scenes fully customizable, ability to change dialogue, tone, etc on the fly, access via web with the option save infinite settings, etc. The manual EQ gives a lot of room for experimenting. DSP can be changed to your taste, etc

On the other hand I think I could have a better performance in movies, especially in the center channel, and music could also be better. Music is my first priority (multichannel). I improved it a lot using the manual EQ and adding an integrated amp, but still I am missing something

You say you don’t get a good low end for music?

PS: I don’t use either the numerous DSP of Yamaha, only the D. Surround and Neural:X for movies and games, and 9ch Stereo for music, which is amazing and customizable

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks. That’s the dilemma, the Yamaha is super convenient regarding app and networking in general. Also very handy to have 2 patterns, all the scenes fully customizable, ability to change dialogue, tone, etc on the fly, access via web with the option save infinite settings, etc. The manual EQ gives a lot of room for experimenting. DSP can be changed to your taste, etc

On the other hand I think I could have a better performance in movies, especially in the center channel, and music could also be better. Music is my first priority (multichannel). I improved it a lot using the manual EQ and adding an integrated amp, but still I am missing something

PS: I don’t use either the numerous DSP of Yamaha, only the D. Surround and Neural:X for movies and games, and 9ch Stereo for music, which is amazing and customizable
Also, is it true that ARC downsamples to 48khz?

That would explain why, even limiting ARC to e.g. 250hz, you notice a differences in the higher frequencies (many of you say ARC takes the lifeness out), as they have not been EQ'd but downsampled

·
Registered
679 Posts
No, it's not true for current generation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a Yamaha 2060 in family room and Anthem AVM 60 in theatre room that replaced a Marantz. I bought the Yamaha before I bought the Anthem. If I could do it again I would have bought an Anthem Receiver for the family room. As it happens I will most likely do that when Anthem releases new models.

Yamaha is good, very reliable but my theatre room has never sounded better, in fact it reminds me of when I had a Halo C2 processor before the Marantz. I think a lot has to do with ARC room correction and I am sure my family room can benefit from better room correction.

I recommend people stick with Yamaha instead of changing to Anthem. That way my system will always sound better than yours!

In all seriousness I love the Yamaha's software and configurability. I have an RX-A3050 and the switching, app etc are great but I was always trying to get it to sound better.

Bought a 720, hooked it up, ran ARC and never looked back. Subs were finally integrated into the mains and everything just sounded "right". I still use my Yamaha for powering other zones and displays. I can take the main outs from the Anthem (thank you for including that feature - it's REALLY useful), feed it to the Yamaha and easily feed sound and video to the rest of my house.

When you first look at the Anthem it feels like it could be missing some needed features. After you start to use it however you find it has everything you need. Having room correction run on a PC with a good quality calibrated mic instead of the receiver is brilliant. The way Anthem does it's inputs seems simplistic at first but you'll find it's really useful once you start to configure your system. And I enjoy how they include features like downconverting multi-channel sound to Zone 2, the aformentioned main outs and the volume controlled pre-outs. Bottom line it does everything you need it to.

Yes the networking could be improved/more robust but as I mentioned in a previous post, using a wired connection with the right switches resulted in minimal problems - maybe < 5 instances in the last year.

I know I sound like a commercial (I don't work for Anthem!) but I've been buying HT equipment for 25 years and can honestly say it's the best piece of equipment I've ever owned.

Nuff said

·
Registered
169 Posts

It's not that I don't get good low end for music, just that I want to improve it. I've only had the 1120 for a few days and am trying to learn all of the options available to do that. So far, I'm not really missing any of the Yamaha features. My setup is probably not optimal given that I have all small bookshelf sized speakers (RBH Signature series, no towers) supplemented with 3 subs (2 SVS SB300 and one older KEF model). The sound is really pretty great, but the fun of this hobby is trying to make it even better. One thing of note for music that surprised me is how good the Dolby Surround option with center spread sounds. I had never used this mode on my Yamaha. The AnthemLogic Music mode also sounds pretty good as does standard 2-channel.

8201 - 8220 of 10365 Posts