AVS Forum banner

8501 - 8520 of 10395 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've been running a Samsung Q90 with my Anthem MRX1120 reciever for a few weeks now using ARC for the built in apps.

Tonight ARC just quit... The TV is now showing the reciever as an unknown device... I went as far as a factory reset on the TV to try to get it to see it again but no luck...

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Accidently adjusted the PG/PR button on my remote (MRX-720) while watching a movie, i.e., meant to hit Volume button; OSD brought up the Dialog Control menu. Can't determine if I accidentally made adjustments to that control. So wondering, what does that menu (Dialog Control) actually adjust?? I put the setting back to +3dB......

·
Registered
507 Posts
How many of you are running ARC all of the time? I have found that 2-channel music has been more enjoyable with ARC off.
I don't use ARC with 2 channel music either.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
Accidently adjusted the PG/PR button on my remote (MRX-720) while watching a movie, i.e., meant to hit Volume button; OSD brought up the Dialog Control menu. Can't determine if I accidentally made adjustments to that control. So wondering, what does that menu (Dialog Control) actually adjust?? I put the setting back to +3dB......
It is a feature of DTS:X soundtracks, which, from what I have read, rarely if ever has been used on commercial discs.

So, odds are that you did nothing.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
ARC for 2CH

How many of you are running ARC all of the time? I have found that 2-channel music has been more enjoyable with ARC off.
I run ARC all the time, but I have one of the 4 configuration set up for 2-channel music.

I cannot understand why you would not run ARC for the bass correction features alone. There is still a need to correct for the room and listening position and manage subwoofers. Those needs don't change when there is no surround sound.

If there are no signals on the other channels where won't be any sound coming from center, surround or back speakers unless you turn on one of the fancy listening modes. I can see why the purist would want these off.

I did choose a relatively low high-frequency cut-off for the main speakers and got rid of the super bass boost, but I am not sure how much that matters

·
Registered
679 Posts
I cannot understand why you would not run ARC for the bass correction features alone. There is still a need to correct for the room and listening position and manage subwoofers. Those needs don't change when there is no surround sound.
It's quite simple - ARC correction even when limited only to (mid)bass frequency range affects (negatively) the whole frequency range.
For surround and movies it's not a problem, but it is for critical listening.

Therefore, I choose to manually equalize subwoofers and don't use ARC. The difference in sound quality is pretty significant.

Reactions: Carbo

·
Registered
837 Posts
It's quite simple - ARC correction even when limited only to (mid)bass frequency range affects (negatively) the whole frequency range.
For surround and movies it's not a problem, but it is for critical listening.

Therefore, I choose to manually equalize subwoofers and don't use ARC. The difference in sound quality is pretty significant.
I agree; in fact, I have one speaker profile just set up for listening to music (ARC off, no digital processing), and my input setup for my music sources has only the LR speakers on; but I do have full range speakers that give me excellent bass response. That's the beauty of the 720, i.e., setup can be modified for different sources.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yep, lumpy bass response is no fun even if it is what we grew up listening to.

I run ARC all the time, but I have one of the 4 configuration set up for 2-channel music.

If there are no signals on the other channels where won't be any sound coming from center, surround or back speakers unless you turn on one of the fancy listening modes. I can see why the purist would want these off.

I did choose a relatively low high-frequency cut-off for the main speakers and got rid of the super bass boost, but I am not sure how much that matters

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mrx 1120 help please

Hey all,
Was just going to do 2 channel in a dedicated play room I am building. 29x17x10 . Then I figured may as well build in a Atmos system with high quality in wall and ceiling speakers. So the system will be a 4.4.4 with a swarm sub system for the low end. No center as my front channels have a solid image and have always felt phantom is just a better blend. I currently have a pair of Kismet monoblocks for my 2 channel. So I basically need amplification for 2 rears and the 4 Atmos speakers. Are the only assignable channels in the 1120 the less powered channels? I am going to have a second 2 channel zone at the other end of the room as the theater/ listening portion will make up about half the room. Can I assign the front or the rest of the more powerful channels to zone 2? I am just trying to stay away from more boxes and interconnects to streamline the system. Kinda excited now as Atmos music seems to be taking off.
Thanks for the comments and advise!!

Russ

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is any anthem owner here on facebook? And if so would you mind posting on their september announcement on the 6 weeks time firmware update and ask them what the ETA is? Thanks in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/anthemav/posts/go-big-or-go-ahem-stay-home-imax-enhanced-anthem-/10156588545356658/

They aren't answering on their site support channel...

It is well over a year since they released any updates - for the defects, let alone a new feature...
I wonder if their support staff is off for the holidays already - I have an unanswered query out too.

I guess it's better than (their parent company) Paradigm's contact web page, which rejects all support requests with "Bad captcha" without actually having a captcha. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Today I watched Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens on Blu-ray 3D and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story on Blu-ray at -18 dB, and there were a couple of moments in each film where the receiver shut off from short-circuiting. My wires are 10 gauge and banana-plugged.

Obviously they are moments in the film where the dB hits a clipping spike of some sort and these have occurred before, and it's not going to be very easy for me to check back and see if there are any issues, but I was wondering if anybody has encountered this before

These occurrences didn't happen at -20 dB, by the way.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
99.9% of the time there is a strand of speaker wire touching the chassis that causes this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.

Sadly it's not really an easily-accessible job for me (hard to explain, but it's just not). Maybe I can take care of it next week, but as the shut-off is obviously a safety feature, I was wondering if there is actual harm caused in either those particular short-circuits or having it out during normal viewing activity. Nothing there has been moved in a few months, so I'm guessing it's probably been like that for a while then.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Yep sounds like a stray strand or two of speaker wire..... and it’s usually invisible but redoing all the connections tends to be the most likely solution.

Damage? Yeah a short circuit is not healthy and the protection shut down might not cut in quick enough to prevent receiver damage, or speaker damage, or a remote risk of fire.

Maybe start with the connections at the speaker ends if those are easier to get to and see?

A strand of fine copper wire is light and it could have moved close to problematic spot recently due to a slight breeze or temp change or so many things.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Is any anthem owner here on facebook? And if so would you mind posting on their september announcement on the 6 weeks time firmware update and ask them what the ETA is? Thanks in advance.

https://www.facebook.com/anthemav/posts/go-big-or-go-ahem-stay-home-imax-enhanced-anthem-/10156588545356658/

They aren't answering on their site support channel...

It is well over a year since they released any updates - for the defects, let alone a new feature...
I wonder if their support staff is off for the holidays already - I have an unanswered query out too.

I guess it's better than (their parent company) Paradigm's contact web page, which rejects all support requests with "Bad captcha" without actually having a captcha. :rolleyes:

I would just call them.....has always worked for me....:)

8501 - 8520 of 10395 Posts