AVS Forum banner

9421 - 9440 of 10311 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Just received and setup my first Anthem product (Anthem MRX720) and it really lights my Klipsch Reference Premier series speakers up. I love it! I have a couple questions though that I hope someone can help me with.

1. I ran the ARC software and let it do it’s thing and it seemed to set most of my speaker and sub to max level (12). Thought that was weird but maybe because it made them large speakers and there is no crossover? Sorry I’m coming from YPAO.

2. I can’t seem to be able to update the firmware. I downloaded the latest version and placed the zip on a usb thumb drive. Plugged it in to the front and ran the Firmware update via USB in the menu and it just says error with usb or fw. I tried several usb sticks, also extracted the fw file and placed just that in the stick but all with the same result, just an error.

3. In playing some Dolby Atmos movies from my AppleTV it shows up on the screen as Multi: PCM3/4 and not Atmos. I’ve read that PCM is a straight feed and not processed at all and should be good. So am I getting Atmos? I can hear some sound from my Atmos front height speakers.

That’s all I got for now...really shocked how much better my speakers sound coming off my Yamaha Aventage RX1070.
2. If it's a zip file you have to extract the contents. Check instructions on their website.
3. Atmos for any online service is an utter joke. I have my ATV set for Atmos, but never saw any. I tried Jack Ryan on prime, 5.1 lpcm. A few weeks later I tried again, no setting changes, and I saw Atmos. Anyone relying on digital online services for a great high end AV experience is got to be ready for disappointed... I have full control on my hardware and network. But you know what I have zero control over? Whatever some upstream video services deigns to push down the pipe to my home. Heck, with devices as clouded as this I can't see what bitrate or even resolution I'm getting.

·
Registered
483 Posts
2. If it's a zip file you have to extract the contents. Check instructions on their website.
3. Atmos for any online service is an utter joke. I have my ATV set for Atmos, but never saw any. I tried Jack Ryan on prime, 5.1 lpcm. A few weeks later I tried again, no setting changes, and I saw Atmos. Anyone relying on digital online services for a great high end AV experience is got to be ready for disappointed... I have full control on my hardware and network. But you know what I have zero control over? Whatever some upstream video services deigns to push down the pipe to my home. Heck, with devices as clouded as this I can't see what bitrate or even resolution I'm getting.

2. and the new FW has to be in the root of the USB (eg not in a folder).

And from OP's 1, which version of Genesis? Suggest either 9006 or the beta. Also, make sure that your sub volume (on the sub's amp) is set to provide ~75 db (or a bit more) at the MLP using Quick Measure.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hello,
I am not going to hi jack this thread with Apple talk, but I have an 1120 and the latest Apple TV. All Netflix labeled Atmos movies show on the amp as Atmos. Some of these movies work really well. Prime is a different issue. It is not the equipment it is Primes app.
Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Just received and setup my first Anthem product (Anthem MRX720) and it really lights my Klipsch Reference Premier series speakers up. I love it! I have a couple questions though that I hope someone can help me with.

1. I ran the ARC software and let it do it’s thing and it seemed to set most of my speaker and sub to max level (12). Thought that was weird but maybe because it made them large speakers and there is no crossover? Sorry I’m coming from YPAO.

2. I can’t seem to be able to update the firmware. I downloaded the latest version and placed the zip on a usb thumb drive. Plugged it in to the front and ran the Firmware update via USB in the menu and it just says error with usb or fw. I tried several usb sticks, also extracted the fw file and placed just that in the stick but all with the same result, just an error.

3. In playing some Dolby Atmos movies from my AppleTV it shows up on the screen as Multi: PCM3/4 and not Atmos. I’ve read that PCM is a straight feed and not processed at all and should be good. So am I getting Atmos? I can hear some sound from my Atmos front height speakers.

That’s all I got for now...really shocked how much better my speakers sound coming off my Yamaha Aventage RX1070.
1. You should set your speakers to small regardless of the receiver where it be Yamaha or Anthem and let the sub handle the lower frequencies. I'm assuming you have sub.

3. Dolby Atmos only works via bitstream because Atmos but be decoded in the receiver. PCM means the source device like AppleTV or a BD player is doing the decoding so if you're seeing PCM on the Anthem display you are not getting Atmos. You need to go into the settings of your Apple TV and set it to output bitstream instead of PCM.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
1. You should set your speakers to small regardless of the receiver where it be Yamaha or Anthem and let the sub handle the lower frequencies. I'm assuming you have sub.

3. Dolby Atmos only works via bitstream because Atmos but be decoded in the receiver. PCM means the source device like AppleTV or a BD player is doing the decoding so if you're seeing PCM on the Anthem display you are not getting Atmos. You need to go into the settings of your Apple TV and set it to output bitstream instead of PCM.
Not so, Legaire. There is no Bitstream option.

ATV4K needs to be set to Auto to get Atmos, but not all content providers support it.

If you are seeing MC PCM, but the content is labeled Atmos, that is a source issue. In my setup, ATV+ and Disney+ have content in Atmos and work fine. Other sources such as Movies Anywhere will send out MC PCM.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

Sorting out what content provider does what on what platform is a total hellscape.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts

ATV4K needs to be set to Auto to get Atmos, but not all content providers support it.

If you are seeing MC PCM, but the content is labeled Atmos, that is a source issue. In my setup, ATV+ and Disney+ have content in Atmos and work fine. Other sources such as Movies Anywhere will send out MC PCM.

Sorting out what content provider does what on what platform is a total hellscape.
Yes it can always be a source issue not sending the proper information to produce Atmos. Auto on ATV detects whether or not the target such as the receiver can accept bitstream and if it can it sends bitstream. Atmos must be decoded in the target device such as receiver or soundbar and cannot be decoded in the source such as ATV. ATV must send a bistream signal or the receiver will always receive and show PCM.

You can read about in the Dolby Atmos requirements and setup guide or here on DigitalTrends as well as many other places

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/

If you’ve followed our guide to getting Dolby Atmos but you’re still not seeing an Atmos indicator on your system, or you’re not hearing much of a difference, there’s one more thing you need to check. TVs and streaming devices have different settings for their digital audio outputs. Most of the time, they’re set to “auto” by default, which should work just fine.

But every now and then, they can end up in PCM mode — that stands for Pulse Code Modulation. If you’re not getting Dolby Atmos, check to see if your device is set to PCM. If it is, change it to Auto, or Bitstream because Dolby Atmos is not compatible with PCM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I just received my Avm-60 today. 
I did all the basic connections to my both of my xpa power amp and everything rolls # 1.
Only thing i notice is my backlight is white and not blue ... strange? 
Anyone have this problem? 
Im kinda ocd and wanted the blue backlit to fit my Emotiva. 

Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Figured it out. In the Anthem setup under Input I changed Mode Preset for Multi-Ch source from Last Used to None. Voila it now shows and sounds like Atmos. Phew!

Also, does anyone know where I can download Genesis 9006 version? I want to see if that helps with my calibration

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Figured it out. In the Anthem setup under Input I changed Mode Preset for Multi-Ch source from Last Used to None. Voila it now shows and sounds like Atmos. Phew!

Also, does anyone know where I can download Genesis 9006 version? I want to see if that helps with my calibration
Hello,
Go to the arc page and choose the new beta vs. this will resolve the level prob and the sound is night and day over the latest vs. I would advise you to do another run through.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Hello,
Go to the arc page and choose the new beta vs. this will resolve the level prob and the sound is night and day over the latest vs. I would advise you to do another run through.
I’m thinking a may need to try the beta version, the 9006 version seems a little lifeless. When ARC is “on”, I have to turn up the volume 15dB more than when ARC is “off”. Is this common?
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the Beta suggestion! It appears to have leveled my measurements out much closer to target range and sounds great! You're right, sound is night and day.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Thanks for the Beta suggestion! It appears to have leveled my measurements out much closer to target range and sounds great! You're right, sound is night and day.
I have the macOS version of 9006 in a dropbox if you need it.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts

Maybe I should try the beta this week.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Yup that's it 1.2.2.0

Thanks...is it possible to save 9006 and reinstall it without taking measurements again? Just in case I do not care for the beta version.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Thanks...is it possible to save 9006 and reinstall it without taking measurements again? Just in case I do not care for the beta version.

Sure as long as you have your 9006.arc3 file that you uploaded to your Anthem.

1) Install 1.2.2.0.
2) Then run ARC with 1.2.2.0 and save the file under another name so you don't overwrite your 9000.arc3.

If you don't like 1.2.2.0 just

1) Install 9006
2) Upload your 9006.arc3 file

9421 - 9440 of 10311 Posts