AVS Forum banner

9901 - 9920 of 10403 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Crutchfield shows in stock for all three receivers.

And available on Anthem's site.... he was probably referring for the 20% off sale.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Hello all,
I have a question when I get my 1120 repaired and back fro Anthem. When I listen 2.0 audio I have a Oppo 205 used as a transport for a Schiit Yiggy DAC, and a Node 2 for streaming. I have the Oppo’s analog stereo outs into the Anthems analog #1 input, and the Yiggys analog stereo outs to the Anthems #2 analog input. I can switch back and forth to here the differences between the 2 DACs. I have ARC deactivated with no processing except for the external DACs. My question is if I add an external 2 ch amp for the front R/L into the Pre amp inputs would the Analog stereo signal be powered by just the front ch ext amp, or a combo of the ext, and onboard amps of the Anthem. The reason I am asking this question is now that I am without my 1120, I set up my old Adcom amp/preamp combo, with the Oppo 205 transport setup and the sound is much better then what I was getting with the Anthems onboard amps. I hope this is not to confusing. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hello all,
I have a question when I get my 1120 repaired and back fro Anthem. When I listen 2.0 audio I have a Oppo 205 used as a transport for a Schiit Yiggy DAC, and a Node 2 for streaming. I have the Oppo’s analog stereo outs into the Anthems analog #1 input, and the Yiggys analog stereo outs to the Anthems #2 analog input. I can switch back and forth to here the differences between the 2 DACs. I have ARC deactivated with no processing except for the external DACs. My question is if I add an external 2 ch amp for the front R/L into the Pre amp inputs would the Analog stereo signal be powered by just the front ch ext amp, or a combo of the ext, and onboard amps of the Anthem. The reason I am asking this question is now that I am without my 1120, I set up my old Adcom amp/preamp combo, with the Oppo 205 transport setup and the sound is much better then what I was getting with the Anthems onboard amps. I hope this is not to confusing. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jeff
What ever source you select for listening will pass throuh the preamp, then to the amp from the pre-outs of the preamp and from there to the speakers. As long as you don't have your speakers hooked up to both the amp and Integrated amp at the same time(I hope you don't), the dedicated amp will power the speakers. That's if I read your question correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
The problem is, many "power conditioners" can't provide clean power when there's a surge in power draw -- as happens with amps. It's not unusual to have amp makers (includes Receiver makers) recommend against using power conditioners.
--Bob
***O.K. But the Furman products are solid. I've been using mine for 8 years. Where is the harm in using a power conditioner under any situation? If you didn't use it, wouldn't you be subject to the same lack of "clean power" without the protection? What am I missing here? Unless you're telling me that the Anthem AVR's have a way to identify "clean power" and/or shut down under any surge in power draw to prevent damage to their receivers?

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
***Looking at a new AVR for HT and music streaming (QoBuz.) I believe Anthem said they will have QoBuz streaming soon. I'm not sure what "app" they use for the interface. My question is this - - in trying to setup a system for both HT and music streaming - - are there any Anthem MRX - 1120 users that can comment on the two channel, stereo "streaming" experience?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
What ever source you select for listening will pass throuh the preamp, then to the amp from the pre-outs of the preamp and from there to the speakers. As long as you don't have your speakers hooked up to both the amp and Integrated amp at the same time(I hope you don't), the dedicated amp will power the speakers. That's if I read your question correctly.
Hello,
Yes, my question is will the analog out put only go through the external amp? Front R/L will be through external.

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
***Looking at a new AVR for HT and music streaming (QoBuz.) I believe Anthem said they will have QoBuz streaming soon. I'm not sure what "app" they use for the interface. My question is this - - in trying to setup a system for both HT and music streaming - - are there any Anthem MRX - 1120 users that can comment on the two channel, stereo "streaming" experience?
Anthem uses the DTS Play-Fi app for streaming and has Amazon Muisic, Qobuz, Tidal and others. I use Play-Fi app, a Node 2i or AppleTV 4K for streaming Tidal and Qobuz.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Question using the 12v trigger

I have a dedicated media closet with two receivers- an MRX700 and an MRX1120- to run my living room and my theater room, respectively. I have a Panamax M5400 which I use to power two external amplifiers- one for the L/R in my living room and the second for the L/C/R for the theater room. The issue I have: the Panamax only has a single 12v trigger (currently from the MRX700) and I kinda want two triggers so I don't have to power on the MRX700 if I'm in the theater. Why? Because the TV in the family room automatically turns on when it senses an input, the TV turns on if I'm in the theater and the MRX700 turns on- and my wife hates it.

I assume I can run a Y splitter at the input the Panamax and run a trigger cable from both the MRX1120 and the MRX700, but I'm not sure. Basically the 700 and 1120 triggers would be on a common bus.
I'd hate to find out that providing an external 12v signal at the OUTPUT to the MRX700/1120 12v trigger would damage it.

MRX700 12v ----------->|
..................................|------> Panamax 12v input
MRX1120 12v --------->|

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Anthem uses the DTS Play-Fi app for streaming and has Amazon Muisic, Qobuz, Tidal and others. I use Play-Fi app, a Node 2i or AppleTV 4K for streaming Tidal and Qobuz.
***Much thanks! And when will we see some NHL Hockey! Any difference in sound between the DTS Play-Fi app for QoBuz and Bluesound Node 2i? I tried the Bluesound with my Denon x5200 and was underwhelmed. I just didn't think the two channel music sounded good. I ended up returning it. That's where I'm hoping the Anthem MRX 1120 (and superior DAC?) will provide a better experience. Can you get "high res audio" with the DTS Play-Fi app? Last question (for this post!) - - do the Anthem AVR's run "hot" or are they efficient while not generating a lot of heat? Thx again - Rico.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
They run warm as you would expect.

PlayFi is an interesting but finicky tech and business. It can do high res.......from some sources. And some services are not compatible even in lossy (eg Google Msuic). It appears to deliver the bits as they are, which is what one wants from a streaming tech in my view. No sound impact, just a transparent delivery of bits.

IMO the game changer about Anthem is less about their DACs and related analog stages (which are top notch for their category/price) and more about their superior room correction software (which is way better than competing schemes at the same price points in my view).

·
Registered
195 Posts
HeffaMusic/Jeff

What ever integrated amp or preamp/amp combo you have, the LF and RF gets hooked up from the pre outs of the preamp to the ins of the amp. That amp takes that line level and amplifies it so long as it is connected to your speakers. The only way your integrated amp would also power your speakers as well would be if you had left the amp speaker connects connected to your speakers as well. I repeat. Don't do this. Connect your LF and RF speakers to the external amp only. Your fronts will be powered by the external amp and your other speakers by the integrated amp or preamp/amp combo speaker connections

Hope this clarifies

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
They run warm as you would expect.

PlayFi is an interesting but finicky tech and business. It can do high res.......from some sources. And some services are not compatible even in lossy (eg Google Msuic). It appears to deliver the bits as they are, which is what one wants from a streaming tech in my view. No sound impact, just a transparent delivery of bits.

IMO the game changer about Anthem is less about their DACs and related analog stages (which are top notch for their category/price) and more about their superior room correction software (which is way better than competing schemes at the same price points in my view).
I second what Nathan says...Qobuz sounds better to me on Play-Fi than Tidal. Like everything else, it depends on the source material. I'm listening to Led Zeppelin right now on Qobuz Play-Fi and it sounds really good. I normally use the Node 2i as a streamer, Qobuz Hi-Res via coax to Anthem coax input and Tidal MQA via analog out to Anthem analog input. I'll be moving to an integrated amp (Naim Uniti Nova) in the next couple of months for my streaming which I expect a big upgrade.

PS - Yes, I need my hockey and baseball to begin very soon!

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
I second what Nathan says...Qobuz sounds better to me on Play-Fi than Tidal. Like everything else, it depends on the source material. I'm listening to Led Zeppelin right now on Qobuz Play-Fi and it sounds really good. I normally use the Node 2i as a streamer, Qobuz Hi-Res via coax to Anthem coax input and Tidal MQA via analog out to Anthem analog input. I'll be moving to an integrated amp (Naim Uniti Nova) in the next couple of months for my streaming which I expect a big upgrade.

PS - Yes, I need my hockey and baseball to begin very soon!
***Nice! The Naim seems pretty pricey and for my taste, I'd look at a tube amp or hybrid tube/solid state amplifier with separate speakers (Harbeth/Spendor) for a sole, 2.0 or 2.1 streaming (primarily) solution in a separate room. But that's my dream system. Since I'll need to upgrade my AVR anyway - - it would be nice to have a receiver that can handle HT (Dolby Atmos 7.1.4) AND have native streaming music (QoBuz) capability. And it sounds like the Anthem MRX 1120 can do that. Much thanks.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
***Nice! The Naim seems pretty pricey and for my taste, I'd look at a tube amp or hybrid tube/solid state amplifier with separate speakers (Harbeth/Spendor) for a sole, 2.0 or 2.1 streaming (primarily) solution in a separate room. But that's my dream system. Since I'll need to upgrade my AVR anyway - - it would be nice to have a receiver that can handle HT (Dolby Atmos 7.1.4) AND have native streaming music (QoBuz) capability. And it sounds like the Anthem MRX 1120 can do that. Much thanks.
Yeah...I'm also looking at the McIntosh MA352 hybrid tube/solid state integrated but it doesn't have a DAC or a McIntosh MA8900 solid state that has a DAC but leaning toward the Naim.

·
Premium Member
3,876 Posts
Yeah...I'm also looking at the McIntosh MA352 hybrid tube/solid state integrated but it doesn't have a DAC or a McIntosh MA8900 solid state that has a DAC but leaning toward the Naim.
***I really like the Anthem MRX 1120 native streaming solution with Play-Fi for our HT in the living room and then a separate system for two channel sound in another room. If you don't stream, I guess this isn't important but I see it as a great selling advantage for Anthem. I have a contact (Sony Distributor - Film Composer) that said tube amps can sound great with some music and not as great with other recordings. I'm not sure if there is a Hybrid Tube/SS Amp that has enough power AND where you can use all tube or all solid state at a flick of a switch. And DAC's are an interesting dilemma as having one aboard (not separate) means you can't take advantage of advances in DAC technology. But that comes with a separate cost, as well!

I'm veering off topic regarding Anthem products but I am really starting to believe that this will be my new AVR soon (MRX 1120). Between the advanced room correction and native high res streaming and 140 wpc - - that sounds like a winner to me. Thanks again - Rico.

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
HeffaMusic/Jeff

What ever integrated amp or preamp/amp combo you have, the LF and RF gets hooked up from the pre outs of the preamp to the ins of the amp. That amp takes that line level and amplifies it so long as it is connected to your speakers. The only way your integrated amp would also power your speakers as well would be if you had left the amp speaker connects connected to your speakers as well. I repeat. Don't do this. Connect your LF and RF speakers to the external amp only. Your fronts will be powered by the external amp and your other speakers by the integrated amp or preamp/amp combo speaker connections

Hope this clarifies
Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess what my overall question is when I choose an analog setting in my Anthem will the sound only be directed through the external power amp channels. No I do not have my speakers connected to both. The fronts will be connected to the external amp, and that amp will be connected to the Anthems front right and left pre amp outputs. (Edited my post).

Regards,
Jeff

·
Registered
508 Posts
Hello,
Thanks for the quick reply! I guess what my overall question is when I choose an analog setting in my Anthem will the sound only be directed through the external power amp channels. No I do not have my speakers connected to both. The fronts will be connected to the external amp, and that amp will be connected to the Anthems front right and left pre amp inputs.

Regards,
Jeff

If you have your Anthem front pre-outs connected to the external power amp, which in turn is connected to your front speakers. I'm not sure if the signal is also present at the front speaker terminals (which are NOT connected to speakers) on the Anthem - I would assume so.

9901 - 9920 of 10403 Posts