AVS Forum banner

9981 - 10000 of 10365 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I was researching paradigm speakers and found this ARC mic placement (diagram B) for a 5.1 setup with a couch against a wall. I haven’t seen the diagram before in ARC materials so I thought I would share.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The Anthem Remote app lets you toggle ARC on and off on the fly, if that is what you are looking for.
I didn't know that. Thanks for calling this out. I'll have to give it a try.

More broadly, it would be great to have as many of these controls be dynamic as possible and I suspect it would be useful to lots of Anthem gear owners. But that may not be where Anthem wants to take their products.

Reactions: madrac

·
Registered
3 Posts
MRX1120 question: Does Play-Fi allow output to the optical out or Zone2 analog out? Was planning to use Play-Fi to feed an MDX16 for whole-house audio. Since all my streaming devices connect via HDMI, I believe I need a different source since I can't output HDMI audio to Zone2 analog.

Separate Q: Can I output HDMI audio via the optical out? I don't think so...

Short of buying a separate streaming device such as a Sonos Port with both digital and analog outs, you could try several options that would allow feeding play-fi to the the mdx16: set Zone 2 to follow Main, or feed the Main outs to the MDX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Short of buying a separate streaming device such as a Sonos Port with both digital and analog outs, you could try several options that would allow feeding play-fi to the the mdx16: set Zone 2 to follow Main, or feed the Main outs to the MDX.

Turns out that Play-Fi outputs via the Zone2 analog outputs only. No digital output. :frown:

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
I was researching paradigm speakers and found this ARC mic placement (diagram B) for a 5.1 setup with a couch against a wall. I haven’t seen the diagram before in ARC materials so I thought I would share.

Thank you for sharing this. Our couch is 15" away from the back wall, and I usually do a modified "x" with position 1 at the MLP (ear level about where nose would be), and then position 2 and 4 off to the left 2.5' (both at ear level with position 2 about 1' in front of the couch and position 4 in line with position ). I mirror positions 3 and 5.

There are only two of us that use our system, and the MLP is set for me. I have the miniDSP EQ set for the MLP, and have noticed that ARC messes up the response to the MLP with the 5 different measurements. I usually just go back and remeasure the sub with all 5 positions at the MLP then upload it. Question; Is this something that can be done with Quick Measure?

For users that only want the LFE configured for MLP, I wish there was an option for using only the LFE measurement from position 1

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thank you for sharing this. Our couch is 15" away from the back wall, and I usually do a modified "x" with the #1 at the MLP (ear level about where nose would be), and then #2 and #4 off to the left 2.5' (both at ear level with #2 about 1' in front of the couch and #4 in line with #1 ). I mirror #3 and 5.

One thing I was surprised at (maybe overlooked it in the MRX owner's manual) is that position #1 is the "main measurement used for base levels."

There are only two of us that use our system, and the MLP is set for me. I have the miniDSP EQ set for the MLP, and have noticed that ARC messes up the response to the MLP with the 5 different measurements. I usually just go back and remeasure the sub with all 5 positions at the MLP then upload it. Question; Is this something that can be done with Quick Measure?

For users that only want the LFE configured for MLP, I wish there was an option for using only the LFE measurement from position #1 .

Also, be sure to vary the height of the mic at different positions. Read that on the Genesis thread.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi everyone. Just replaced my Marantz SR7012 (which I'm now selling) with the MRX 1120. Nice product. Still playing with ARC to see if I like it better than my own speakers adjustments I did (distance, levels & crossovers).
I use a Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSD Se and I must say the DACs inside the Anthem are quite good. I know my Anthem isn't broken in yet (how many hours??) but I'm impressed so far.

So I'm A/B between USB out of my Roon Nucleus server to the W4S Dac --> tube pre --> tube power amps with
HDMI out of Nucleus to the Anthem --> preout to my tube pre --> tube power amps.

If the Anthem gets sounding better, I may have to give up my Wyred4Sound DAC!

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Also, be sure to vary the height of the mic at different positions. Read that on the Genesis thread.

I will try this also. Thank you!

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I just ordered a Naim Uniti Nova Integrated Amp and will be connecting it to my MRX-720. After connecting to the 720 L/R pre-outs to the Nova's L/R Analog inputs and L/R speakers to the Nova, do I run ARC like normal? Do I have to set new Nova's amp to a particular volume/setting when running ARC?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I just ordered a Naim Uniti Nova Integrated Amp and will be connecting it to my MRX-720. After connecting to the 720 L/R pre-outs to the Nova's L/R Analog inputs and L/R speakers to the Nova, do I run ARC like normal? Do I have to set new Nova's amp to a particular volume/setting when running ARC?
I've always wondered this about using separate amps. And then when watching movies, how do you control volume? Via AVR and the separate amps?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I’m having issues with genesis on my 520. On the previous version it set a few channels to +12. I updated to 1.2.2.0 yesterday and ran again and now all my speakers are set to -12. I went in with an SPL meter and adjusted all the speaker levels but not sure what I’m doing wrong. Both runs I had the main listening position as position 1 with mic pointed directly at the ceiling and at ear/tweeter level. It’s not up against a wall either. Should I just remeasure and see what happens?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I've always wondered this about using separate amps. And then when watching movies, how do you control volume? Via AVR and the separate amps?

I believe the Anthem AVR would control the volume. From Sound & Vision.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi guy's. My local brick and mortar store opened up this week and I went in to give a listen to Anthem receivers. To my disappointment, they no longer carry Anthem on their shelves for a demo. I currently have a Yamaha RX-A2070 and have been happy enough with it but I'm curious about Anthem particularly the MRX series. Can anyone give me some thoughts if you are familiar with Yamaha AVR's and currently own an Anthem receiver?
Thanks in advance!
Well, having sold and used them all and currently am running an MRX720 i think the Anthem’s are the best sounding units out there. Finicky network connectivity (mine has been solid but occasional customer issues) but their room correction second only to Dirac really and i like their overall simplicity. Yamaha for too long has been obsessed with DSP and now AI in an effort to improve sound by layering on falsities upon the core tracks. It often confuses customers and is generally unwanted by even the novice audiophile. While the Yamahas do sound good (most modern AVR’s over $1500 do) i gravitate to the Anthems. I do know they are being replaced this year so...some things to consider.

Reactions: mikeyf and mbroadus

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Well, having sold and used them all and currently am running an MRX720 i think the Anthem’s are the best sounding units out there. Finicky network connectivity (mine has been solid but occasional customer issues) but their room correction second only to Dirac really and i like their overall simplicity. Yamaha for too long has been obsessed with DSP and now AI in an effort to improve sound by layering on falsities upon the core tracks. It often confuses customers and is generally unwanted by even the novice audiophile. While the Yamahas do sound good (most modern AVR’s over $1500 do) i gravitate to the Anthems. I do know they are being replaced this year so...some things to consider.
Yeah the network, wireless AND wired is definitely finicky. I'm so often having issues with it. If I start the android app and it finds the anthem, I'm considering myself VERY lucky...

That said, generally the only reason I want to use it is to see the INFO page, which I have to use because the info on the Anthem front display is frankly pretty rubbish, and when I'm using the appleTV the anthem info page is the only way I can see what I'm actually getting audiowise.

On the anthem display, Eg for near everything from apple TV I see "MULTI PCM". Not any use at all. Some other numpty displays include "TrueHD 3/2"

Why so illogical? Can't they do something useful like:
TrueHD 5.1 / 7.1 / 6.1 etc etc
PCM 5.1 / 7.1 / 6.1 etc etc
DTS-HD MA 5.1 7.1

DTS-X and DTS-IMAX and TrueHD Atmos are fine

is it just anthem, or are all receivers this bad?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah the network, wireless AND wired is definitely finicky. I'm so often having issues with it. If I start the android app and it finds the anthem, I'm considering myself VERY lucky...

That said, generally the only reason I want to use it is to see the INFO page, which I have to use because the info on the Anthem front display is frankly pretty rubbish, and when I'm using the appleTV the anthem info page is the only way I can see what I'm actually getting audiowise.

On the anthem display, Eg for near everything from apple TV I see "MULTI PCM". Not any use at all. Some other numpty displays include "TrueHD 3/2"

Why so illogical? Can't they do something useful like:
TrueHD 5.1 / 7.1 / 6.1 etc etc
PCM 5.1 / 7.1 / 6.1 etc etc
DTS-HD MA 5.1 7.1

DTS-X and DTS-IMAX and TrueHD Atmos are fine

is it just anthem, or are all receivers this bad?
The only thing that put me off Anthem initially was their lack of features for the common user. Yamaha is ahead in that space. My wife still complains about how complicated it is :).
Yamaha actually shows what it is decoding. That's good. Tried the AI on my RX-A3080.. Did not like it. Sounded weird. Yamaha app is great. Can't comment on Anthem app as I don't own one yet.

Closer to the end of the year, we'll see a slew of new models all touting HDMI 2.1 and 8k and eARC (all the new buzzwords) as Denon has thrown down the gauntlet. As I've said in my previous posts, I'll wait for the new gen Anthems. I have a 11.1 setup and i just want a one stop shop without over-obsessing on minute details that don't really affect your life (guess the pandemic has taught us that...me at least).

I still don't have a 4k TV either my current Sony XBR is 6yrs old. Again, I'l wait for the HDMI 2.1 models to arrive and then upgrade and forget about about it for at least 7 years this time around. (once again.. not over-obsessing too much over NITS of brightness and levels of darkness). I'll just get what's best bang for the buck, get an ISF calibration done and enjoy it.

And, I'll also get a new Sub as i think my current one is blown (music - ok, movies-terrible. Can't equalize to what i want). I have all B&W speakers, but I'll get a Paradigm sub this time around, either the X10 or X12. I've heard one that was equalized using ARC and it sounded awesome enough for my needs :).

Have a great weekend.

Reactions: MOberhardt
9981 - 10000 of 10365 Posts