AVS Forum banner

10721 - 10740 of 10954 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,525 Posts
I remember someone at some point saying you shouldn’t use a surge protector or was it a power conditioner with anthem products. Is it ok to use a surge protector or power conditioner or surge suppressor with anthem products?
A surge protector or battery backup should be fine. A power conditioner, on the other hand, can be problematic if it is not capable of handling the Max power draw of the gear connected to it. Devices with amps are the usual problem since their Max draw can be much higher than their average draw.
—Bob

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've both myself, and never even thought about using the ir trigger. Were you having issues getting it to work with just the hub? Eg a cabinet or something? And just using one of those IR extension dongles they give didn't work either?

If doing with cable, maybe check if the pins are different? Is the one on the anthem two pin or three like stereo headphones, and likewise on the harmony. I don't personally know
IR emitter from Harmony works great in cabinet but wanted to see if I could get this to work. Thanks

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used this mono cable from my harmony hub to my 720. Works without any issues. Make sure you have the MRX rear ir set to on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Awesome thank you . Maybe that's my problem using a stereo splitter.

·
Premium Member
6,889 Posts
This is off beat, but I really wish home audio manufacturers had come up with a new standard for interconnects. Balanced. Like an xlr mini, something balanced that doesn't take up some much space. I know some things have xlr, but it is a mess and in 11.2 and 13.2 output AVRs, impractical. And nearly nothing at the other end supports it, subs especially.
True, the XLRs are kinda bulky at the connector end unless they are those phoenix (?) type connectors. Mini-XLR - interesting idea. A lot of subs do use XLR though, but not your entry levels, true.

I remember someone at some point saying you shouldn’t use a surge protector or was it a power conditioner with anthem products. Is it ok to use a surge protector or power conditioner or surge suppressor with anthem products?
I do use a Panamax with my AVM60, in fact with every component I have minus my main amp and subs. No issues. Don't know how good it really is, but it is convenient for power distribution at least and matches my aesthetic...:whistle:

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
211 Posts
I used this mono cable from my harmony hub to my 720. Works without any issues. Make sure you have the MRX rear ir set to on.

Anyone know where to get 2.5mm mono splitter? Can't seem to find one anywhere.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why do you need a spliter? Is the other IR repeater from the harmony not enough for your devices. If I recall correctly I think the hub itself is also a repeater.

Hub on outside on top of the cabinet to control the TV mounted on the wall. 2 IR ports below in the cabinet to control multiple devices. If I'm going to use IR input on Anthem amp I need a splitter.

Reactions: Norris Kasey

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
<snip>

This is off beat, but I really wish home audio manufacturers had come up with a new standard for interconnects. Balanced. Like an xlr mini, something balanced that doesn't take up some much space. I know some things have xlr, but it is a mess and in 11.2 and 13.2 output AVRs, impractical. And nearly nothing at the other end supports it, subs especially.
How about something like Dante? Seems to be showing up in gear from time to time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I reversed mine: Hub in the cabinet to control everything in there, and single IR repeater (included with the purchase of the hub) outside the cabinet, to control the TV.
Dam! That's not a bad idea :). I had two sides to the cabinet, but worth a try.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
243 Posts
Ok so I figured out how to get rid of the bad static when I use an HDMI cord to my computer. I just plugged my pc into an old power strip that had the grounding prong ripped out and now it’s gone. But when I try to configure my speakers as a 7.1 sourround sound system and play music it only comes out of my front two speakers. It says multi pcm 3/4 on the mrx720. I swear last night I had all 7 working but now only two. Is there anyway to acually get all 7 speakers going in that mode, also is there any difference like sound quality wise or any difference at all? If I just run it as a stereo setup on my computer then I can run as many speakers as I want it’s only when I try to configure my speakers on the computer as a 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound system it changes the display on the receiver to the 3/4 bullcrap and only comes out of the front two.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It would be nice if a $3500 AVR could integrate your mains and subs, but I learned yesterday the 1120 doesn't do that. You need a UMIK-1 and REW. I had set the sub distance to 9', but when I did a sweep there was a huge null (up to 28db) from 65-105hz. I experimented with the distance setting in my 1120 (I was unaware of the auto phase tool in REW) and ended up with a decent response at 3'.
Yeah it's a huge letdown. Search this thread on my posts about it. "delay"

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Ok so I figured out how to get rid of the bad static when I use an HDMI cord to my computer. I just plugged my pc into an old power strip that had the grounding prong ripped out and now it’s gone. But when I try to configure my speakers as a 7.1 sourround sound system and play music it only comes out of my front two speakers. It says multi pcm 3/4 on the mrx720. I swear last night I had all 7 working but now only two. Is there anyway to acually get all 7 speakers going in that mode, also is there any difference like sound quality wise or any difference at all? If I just run it as a stereo setup on my computer then I can run as many speakers as I want it’s only when I try to configure my speakers on the computer as a 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound system it changes the display on the receiver to the 3/4 bullcrap and only comes out of the front two.
I've been having this issue on my overhead speakers since I added a new video card. The only solution will be getting a better card I fear. I run the best PSU there is in the PC.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
243 Posts
I've been having this issue on my overhead speakers since I added a new video card. The only solution will be getting a better card I fear. I run the best PSU there is in the PC.
Is there even any difference if I run it that way? It’s confusing but I’m sure there’s a way I can figure it out. This is what I’m running.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Before when I got sound to come out of all my speaker I thought it was on realtek High definition audio but when I try and use it no sound will come out. And it makes me use mrx720. Which one should I be using Realtek or Nividia one?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anyone know where to get 2.5mm mono splitter? Can't seem to find one anywhere.
I haven't had any luck finding one. Was going to make one myself from male mono 2.5mm jack and 2 female mono 2.5mm sockets.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Before when I got sound to come out of all my speaker I thought it was on realtek High definition audio but when I try and use it no sound will come out. And it makes me use mrx720. Which one should I be using Realtek or Nividia one?
Not sure what difference you mean but if your referring to unplugging that cable its fine, always use the Nvidia sound card/driver as that is the HDMI one.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not sure what difference you mean but if your referring to unplugging that cable its fine, always use the Nvidia sound card/driver as that is the HDMI one.
I mean like is there any difference configuring my system on my computer as a 7.1 sourround sound system vs just the stereo system. is it higher quality or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
For music, the MRX 720 decodes up to 24/192 in PCM. However, its only omissive flaw, in the otherwise excellent design, is no direct DSD decoding. Multichannel or stereo DSD via HDMI is converted to 24/88.2 PCM. A number of competitors do have direct DSD decoding from the HDMI bitstream to at least the standard 2.8 MHz DSD. And we know that the AKM chips can certainly decode DSD.
Since the receiver does not have multichannel analog input, you also cannot use a SACD player to output its multichannel DSD analog to the MRX either. You can, however, play DSD stereo music via your player’s analog output when connected to a pair of the stereo inputs of the MRX 720.
I bring the DSD compatibility up because the receiver sounds so good on PCM, for even high-end audiophiles, that inclusion of DSD decoding would make it even better. The DSD-to-24/88 PCM is okay, but not as good as straight DSD decoding. Anthem engineers say that DSD cannot be processed in its native form for EQ, etc. and must be converted to PCM to enables various MRX features.

I read this on a review of the anthem today. So it says it doesn’t have direct dsd decoding. Is this a true statment and what exactly does that mean and is there anyway to get direct dcd decoding?

10721 - 10740 of 10954 Posts