AVS Forum banner

10761 - 10780 of 10858 Posts

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
215 Posts
You've got Windows issues. May I suggest you research those or post in the appropriate thread as this can be quite a lengthy troubleshooting process that is not to do with the Anthem.
I’ve tried I have no idea what to even type in as my problem. Anyone know where to start looking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
So they have a separate stereo amp you can pair with their AVR to drive subs separately and still do ARC?
It does what I’d like but is cost prohibitive. I know it has ARC but running the signal through a processor and then through the integrated amp just for the sub control is an interesting concept but I am not sure it would actually work. I think for my use I will start with the single X12 sub and the 720 or 1120 and start there.

·
Registered
589 Posts
How do you even do updates for the anthem? I heard they took away spread but is that for anthem receivers too? So there’s an update out the the anthem receivers and if we do it it will take away the spread feature on Dolby sourround? I’m never doing the update then. What is the update even for, is it something I should do?
From the .txt file generally included with firmware updates:

Software installation for Anthem AVM 60, MRX 1120, MRX 720, MRX 520

The same firmware file applies to all the above models. Model version is automatically detected.

1. Copy the extracted "MRXx20_USB.fw" file to a USB memory stick, root directory. Make sure there are no other .fw files in the root directory.

2. Connect the USB stick to AVM/MRX front panel, behind the cover in the lower left.

3. Go to the setup menu / System Info / Update Via USB and follow the instructions.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
What is the update even for, is it something I should do?
The update was to add IMAX enhanced and fixes a bug with DTS-X HRA for titles like Fast & Furious. For me it's not worth loading because I'm not interested IMAX Enhanced and the limited number of titles currently available. I could care even less about any Fast and Furious movies. I'd much rather keep the Center Spread feature so I'll never load it.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
215 Posts
The update was to add IMAX enhanced and fixes a bug with DTS-X HRA for titles like Fast & Furious. For me it's not worth loading because I'm not interested IMAX Enhanced and the limited number of titles currently available. I could care even less about any Fast and Furious movies. I'd much rather keep the Center Spread feature so I'll never load it.
Lol right I’m on the same page. I think they were trying to trick people into thinking it was an update they actually needed but it’s just some bs to get rid of center spread. I think that’s an awesome feature and love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
True, the XLRs are kinda bulky at the connector end unless they are those phoenix (?) type connectors. Mini-XLR - interesting idea. A lot of subs do use XLR though, but not your entry levels, true.
How about something like Dante? Seems to be showing up in gear from time to time.
Mini XLR's (e.g. T3M/T3F) have always struck me as pretty fragile. They're pretty common in production/remote pro audio equipment and Shure uses them on their wireless packs and on some of their smaller microphones, and while I appreciate the size limitations necessitating their usage, I'm not a fan. IME, DB-25 tends to be the high-density connector of choice for most rackmounted pro audio equipment with a lot of non-ip-based i/o. Something like that could clean up your av cabinet, but possibly make the wiring more messy further down the line.

-Dan.

·
Registered
215 Posts
So you can’t just update on the anthem itself you have to dl on a usb stick and all the bs. That’s retarded why isn’t there just a feature when an update is needed in the anthem menu...

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
So you can’t just update on the anthem itself you have to dl on a usb stick and all the bs. That’s retarded why isn’t there just a feature when an update is needed in the anthem menu...
Sorry you don't like the update procedure. You'll have to ask Anthem why.

·
Premium Member
6,862 Posts
Yeah, it's a minor annoyance, but it's not that bad really. ;)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry you don't like the update procedure. You'll have to ask Anthem why.
Lol no need to be sorry I just think it’s ridiculous. My 300$ reciver had updates I could do straight from the receiver. Would just think it would be easier than that.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I am not upgrading FW as it has been functioning fine and I do want to keep center spread.

·
Registered
589 Posts
No plans to upgrade FW either.

·
Registered
995 Posts
please correct if I am wrong, we paid for a product which comes with features and center spread is one of them, so they can take a feature away from us, is it stated some where the this product feature is for X amount of days or years. this is applicable on all AVRs that manufactures are trying to take away feature with sneaky FW updates. Dolby should be ashamed of themselves doing it to consumers. once they have taken license money and product is sold they can not subtract any feature.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
please correct if I am wrong, we paid for a product which comes with features and center spread is one of them, so they can take a feature away from us, is it stated some where the this product feature is for X amount of days or years. this is applicable on all AVRs that manufactures are trying to take away feature with sneaky FW updates. Dolby should be ashamed of themselves doing it to consumers. once they have taken license money and product is sold they can not subtract any feature.
Yeh it really is dirty. Anthem and anyone else who implemented the feature per Dolby's specs have no choice but to comply and remove the feature. Dolby packages it as Dolby Surround and can add or remove features as they see fit because they own the licensing. Heck they can change the algorithms that create the different sound formats at will and we can't do a thing about it. It's a licensed product and they own the rights which gives them to the right to change the specs when they want to.

I don't like it anymore than anyone else does. I haven't looked at the Anthem's release notes for the beta firmware. I wonder if they say Center Spread has been disabled. They should at least say it in the release notes and not just disable it without mentioning it.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I don't want to defend Anthem too much but in this situation, they don't get much choice. Dolby dictates how the Dolby features work. And I am glad that Anthem continues to offer firmware updates this many years into the product's life cycle. That is support one doesn't often see in mass market gear.

That said, I too have chosen, in other situations with other products, to avoid firmware updates at times when everything is working fine, and I don't need the new features or bug fixes in the update and the update changes something I don't want to change. So I totally get that.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
yes.
Note, though, that I believe this beta may be the one where the AVR test tones will no longer work (at least that's what happened to me and several others who posted similarly). I went back to the last official release.
does this mean if you update with the beta you can go back/update back to the latest official update?

·
Registered
995 Posts
My inclination will be not to update. This is I like about usb update that I control the update. If I don’t want I can keep everything as is. I get the point of license Dolby owns but that license is tied to a feature which we paid for. Something is really wrong with this approach.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is disgraceful that Dolby would get rid of the center spread. I hope people write them to complain. I tried but they of course never responded but it's still nice to light a bit of fire under their ass. I have the 520 now with adjustable center parameters for Pro Logic 2, but when I had the NAD T758, center spread was crucial for making Dolby Surround usable to upmix music.

I'm wondering if anyone with other Anthem MRX receivers have issues with occasional letters flickering on the units display. I've had two units in a row with this issue which Anthem told me was highly unlikely, but alas, sometimes half of the letters on the screen will flicker to incorrect values. Small example:

10761 - 10780 of 10858 Posts