AVS Forum banner

10781 - 10800 of 10858 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
What is the issue with center spread? Do you mean whatever you set the preset for 2 channel sources is overridden?

I've tried reading a definition of it, and I don't understand what "spreading" the center channel means for 2.0 sources. I mean 2.0 means left front plus right front. It isn't 3.0.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,504 Posts
^ Center Spread applies when you use the Surround Sound processing to raise 2.0 content to more speakers output -- including the Center speaker.

For sound appearing in both the Left and Right channels, the algorithm could collapse that sound entirely into the Center speaker (turning a "phantom center" -- as from just 2 speakers -- into a real Center), or it could keep the sound spread out, as is, in the Left and Right channels (no audio sent to Center for these sounds), or it could do something in-between. The center spread setting establishes what you want for this.

Of course absent true, Mono content (coming in as dual channel Mono), the detection of what should be sent to Center depends upon the math detecting what really should be imaged between those two speakers. So the center spread setting essentially alters the math to allow more sound to stay in the Left and Right speakers.

If you have selected NONE processing for 2 channel content, there is no Surround Sound processing, and thus no "center spread" adjustment of that processing. Your 2.0 content becomes 2.1 output (including Crossover processing, steering bass to the Subwoofer), and the Center speaker remains silent.
--Bob

·
Registered
995 Posts
^ Center Spread applies when you use the Surround Sound processing to raise 2.0 content to more speakers output -- including the Center speaker.

For sound appearing in both the Left and Right channels, the algorithm could collapse that sound entirely into the Center speaker (turning a "phantom center" -- as from just 2 speakers -- into a real Center), or it could keep the sound spread out, as is, in the Left and Right channels (no audio sent to Center for these sounds), or it could do something in-between. The center spread setting establishes what you want for this.

Of course absent true, Mono content (coming in as dual channel Mono), the detection of what should be sent to Center depends upon the math detecting what really should be imaged between those two speakers. So the center spread setting essentially alters the math to allow more sound to stay in the Left and Right speakers.

If you have selected NONE processing for 2 channel content, there is no Surround Sound processing, and thus no "center spread" adjustment of that processing. Your 2.0 content becomes 2.1 output (including Crossover processing, steering bass to the Subwoofer), and the Center speaker remains silent.
--Bob
why Dolby wants to take it away, what do they gain.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
215 Posts
Is there a way to choose tO do wide Instead of surround speakers in the anthem mrx720?

·
Registered
589 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts

--Bob
OK.

But aren't their other options on the Anthem for Mode Preset for Stereo sources what would do this?

I don't do much stereo listening so I'm pretty ignorant in the area.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,504 Posts
^ Yes. For each Input you define, you can set the Mode for 2-channel listening to NONE, if you want to keep the audio in just the Left and Right Front speakers (and the Sub).
--Bob

·
Registered
290 Posts
I was hoping to use my Apple TV 4K player to listen to music from my music library on my iMac while watching sporting events. I went into my 720 settings and tried to assign audio to come from the HDMI slot the Apple TV 4K is connected to. However it doesn’t appear I can use an HDMI input for just the audio, is this correct? I’m currently using a BlueSound Node to access my iMac via coaxial digital. I was hoping I could just use my Apple TV and sell the BlueSound unit.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I think you are correct. I sure wish Apple had continued to include a $5 optical output on the AppleTV. You could buy a splitter that extracts the audio but I don't know if they remove it or just provide a separate option. If they remove the audio them you'll lose some things like Atmos when watching ATV content.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yes, wish Apple TV still had a digital out. Not enough of of folks out there. Reminds me of the loss of a manual transmission availability in most car models.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
215 Posts
I read what dts neutral:x non direct and direct? I read what it said in the manual but couldn’t make sense of it. What is it what does it do and when should I use it?

·
Read the FAQ!
35,504 Posts
I was hoping to use my Apple TV 4K player to listen to music from my music library on my iMac while watching sporting events. I went into my 720 settings and tried to assign audio to come from the HDMI slot the Apple TV 4K is connected to. However it doesn’t appear I can use an HDMI input for just the audio, is this correct? I’m currently using a BlueSound Node to access my iMac via coaxial digital. I was hoping I could just use my Apple TV and sell the BlueSound unit.
Correct. HDMI Audio is embedded inside an HDMI Video stream. So the Anthem has to process the HDMI Video input from the Apple TV to extract the audio.

The Anthem only has one hardware path for that, so it can't do that while ALSO processing the HDMI Video from another source device.

There are devices out there which will take HDMI Input and produce Optical or Coax Digital Audio output. For example, a quick search on Monoprice.com yielded these:

Search -HDMI AUDIO EXTRACTOR - HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Using such devices can be a bit iffy, due to HDMI copy protection. So if you get one, be sure you understand the return policy if it doesn't do what you want. You will also probably need an HDMI splitter (1 in, 2 out) so you can also run the Apple TV 4K direct to an HDMI input on the Anthem for when you DO want to watch its video.
--Bob

·
Read the FAQ!
35,504 Posts
I read what dts neutral:x non direct and direct? I read what it said in the manual but couldn’t make sense of it. What is it what does it do and when should I use it?
It only applies when playing DTS audio which does not already include height speaker channels. Direct plays that "as is" -- no Surround Sound processing applied. Non-direct (the default) will apply "DTS Neural" Surround Sound processing to the DTS audio input to steer some of the audio to your height speakers -- i.e., adapting the audio to your actual speaker configuration.

Whether you want to use it is purely a matter of taste.
--Bob

·
Registered
215 Posts
It only applies when playing DTS audio which does not already include height speaker channels. Direct plays that "as is" -- no Surround Sound processing applied. Non-direct (the default) will apply "DTS Neural" Surround Sound processing to the DTS audio input to steer some of the audio to your height speakers -- i.e., adapting the audio to your actual speaker configuration.

Whether you want to use it is purely a matter of taste.
--Bob
What sources have dts audio. Like is music from tidal have dts audio or is it certain movies? how will I know if it’s dts audio or not? Also I don’t have any height channels so should I use direct? does it have to be on the mode dts-neutral X for it to apply or will it work on any mode? Thank you.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Is there a way to use the anthem mrx720 as a music steamer? Does using play-fi make it basically like a streamer or how does that work? When listening to music on my computer should I use the play-fi app, does that give me any advantages if I do so or does it not matter when using a computer? Cause I know to stream music directly from the receiver gives you better quality than streaming it from the computer.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
PlayFi will stream from several major music streaming services but misses some of the biggest like Apple Music and YouTube Music (used to be Google Play Music) and some others.

PlayFi can also act as a dlna client to play music (stereo only, non gapless) from a DLNA capable server (I use Plex with dlna enabled).

The version of PlayFi used in this device is not capable of Airplay, nor Bluetooth, nor Chromecasting.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Is there a way to use the anthem mrx720 as a music steamer? Does using play-fi make it basically like a streamer or how does that work? When listening to music on my computer should I use the play-fi app, does that give me any advantages if I do so or does it not matter when using a computer? Cause I know to stream music directly from the receiver gives you better quality than streaming it from the computer.
PlayFi will stream from several major music streaming services but misses some of the biggest like Apple Music and YouTube Music (used to be Google Play Music) and some others.

PlayFi can also act as a dlna client to play music (stereo only, non gapless) from a DLNA capable server (I use Plex with dlna enabled).

The version of PlayFi used in this device is not capable of Airplay, nor Bluetooth, nor Chromecasting.
I didn't bother with 3 free months of Apple Music because I want to be able to control music through my phone, not my Apple TV. I can stream music from my Apple Music library, but I'm not sure how it works with an Apple Music subscription.

When deciding on which streaming service to get, I started with Amazon's unlimited music plan, but I didn't love the Play-Fi app and I particularly hated that the Play-Fi app doesn't show lyrics even though Amazon's app shows them. Then I tried Spotify. It took me a few weeks to get used to the interface because I had been used to Amazon's (I was using the free Prime music for years before I got the 1120). I thought Spotify's playlists were much better for one and equally important, I love how the Spotify app itself connects to Play-Fi without having to use the Play-Fi app. You just have to start playing a song on your device, select your Anthem in the Spotify app, and it'll turn on the Anthem and switch to the Play-Fi input automatically within a second. And of course the volume buttons on your phone control the volume of your Anthem.

My guess is that the next gen Anthem products will have AirPlay, but in the meantime, I am happy with how Spotify works with the 1120.

·
Registered
215 Posts

Is there any advantage to using playfi while on my desktop computer is there any point to use it? What is a dlna client, should I use it?Basically should I use Play-Fi when listening on my computer? If yes then why?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Any word anywhere if the new new series will have 13 or 15 channels?

All I want is my AVM60 again, but with 15 channels and HDMI 2.1 ability (or upgradeable down the road). Airplay, Aura 3D, IMAX enhanced.....that stuff would be cool, but not that big of a deal to me.

10781 - 10800 of 10858 Posts