AVS Forum banner

10801 - 10820 of 10954 Posts

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
Is there any advantage to using playfi while on my desktop computer is there any point to use it? What is a dlna client, should I use it?Basically should I use Play-Fi when listening on my computer? If yes then why?
No. On your computer, why involve the anthem? I just got a nice usb DAC and some powered speakers. So when I listen on my computer I just use the DAC and those powered speakers on my desk.

---

That said, if you want to listen to music stored on your computer but played on the anthem, then you don't need a dlna client. PlayFi in the anthem is a dlna client.

But you will need a dlna server on the computer to pipe the music to the anthem. I use Plex but there are many other choices and I have no idea if Plex is the best option.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone else have issues connecting their AVM60 to their WiFi? I have a strong WiFi single on both 5gh and 2.4gh but I always have issues. I have the latest firmware. I have owned mine for just under 3 years and wonder if this is a warranty issue....very frustrating. I can’t even get it connected to run ARC.
I faced the same issue, however when I tried to setup Wifi connection via Play-FI Option and connect wifi on PLAY-FI app on iphone post that setup the receiver started picking up the wifi network itself now (though i did assigned a static ip from my wifi range in receiver network setting).

Try it hope it works for you as well!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a little trouble reconnecting to wifi after a couple power losses. It wasn't detecting the wifi signal through the setup menu. I had to setup wifi through the PlayFi app.

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
244 Posts
yeah if anthem got a new receiver I would probably defiantly trade up to get it. Anthem does that right?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
It showed up on my Facebook. I follow Arendal Sound on there and someone posted this,
It was on Anthem Facebook group page today too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: doctors11

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
From Anthem owners Facebook page.

Reactions: MOberhardt

·
Registered
645 Posts
Same DAC as the Oppo 203. Shame that it is only 2.0b. I don't see a lot of difference other than form factor and maybe a few features to justify a new model. If you have a x20 series might not be much of an upgrade. For us who have the older MRXs maybe... With that being said I don't have anything that would take advantage of HDMI 2.1 and in this house I won't be doing anything more than the 7.1 I have downstairs. I guess my questions are things like why did they NOT go HDMI 2.1? Seems like a no brainer. Will they wait to go 2.1 when 16k TVs are out? If that is the case they will always be behind the competition in terms of features not including streaming and apps. Will I get one? Maybe. Any newer receiver with HDMI would be an upgrade to my system upstairs since I am using an old Sony receiver from 2000/2001; even a $300 receiver. It works and I am only running 2.0 but the convoluted set up sucks with HDMI to the TV and RCA back to the receiver. This isn't a critical listening/watching system. It is for the everyday usage with us and the kids. My main system downstairs gets almost no use and that is the full surround system running the MRX700. The room is packed with supplies like food, TP, paper towels, humidors, an elliptical and other ****.

On a different note, I see that they finally took down the D2v from the website. I would guess a replacement is coming and way overdue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Same DAC as the Oppo 203. Shame that it is only 2.0b. I don't see a lot of difference other than form factor and maybe a few features to justify a new model. If you have a x20 series might not be much of an upgrade. For us who have the older MRXs maybe... With that being said I don't have anything that would take advantage of HDMI 2.1 and in this house I won't be doing anything more than the 7.1 I have downstairs. I guess my questions are things like why did they NOT go HDMI 2.1? Seems like a no brainer. Will they wait to go 2.1 when 16k TVs are out? If that is the case they will always be behind the competition in terms of features not including streaming and apps. Will I get one? Maybe. Any newer receiver with HDMI would be an upgrade to my system upstairs since I am using an old Sony receiver from 2000/2001; even a $300 receiver. It works and I am only running 2.0 but the convoluted set up sucks with HDMI to the TV and RCA back to the receiver. This isn't a critical listening/watching system. It is for the everyday usage with us and the kids. My main system downstairs gets almost no use and that is the full surround system running the MRX700. The room is packed with supplies like food, TP, paper towels, humidors, an elliptical and other ****.

On a different note, I see that they finally took down the D2v from the website. I would guess a replacement is coming and way overdue.
There's a little 2.1 (8K) just beside the 1140 in the first picture.

Maybe it has to do with this?

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
What Facebook group specifically? I thought that I was a member of all of the Anthem ones, and I didn't see this. Not saying it isn't there, just that I want to join that group too. LOL
Anthem Audio lovers...the post has been removed since I posted this pic.

Reactions: nickbuol

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
244 Posts
Can someone please describe to me what the lfe db control is under the level button. I read a little so have an idea of what it is but what exactly is lfe if someone would be kind enough to explain and when should I adjust it. Why does it only go down as in the negatives and not the positives also?

·
Registered
244 Posts

Thanks for this comment. So you think upgrading say from my mrx720 to the new 740 wouldn’t really be much of an upgrade, I see why you said but what all exactly did they upgrade I wonder? Thanks

·
Read the FAQ!
35,530 Posts
Can someone please describe to me what the lfe db control is under the level button. I read a little so have an idea of what it is but what exactly is lfe if someone would be kind enough to explain and when should I adjust it. Why does it only go down as in the negatives and not the positives also?
LFE = Low Frequency Effects. It is the ".1" channel in "5.1" or "7.1".

The regular speaker channels can carry Bass as low in frequency as the authors care to include, but each channel can only carry volume up to a certain level before clipping. So the ".1" channel was defined as an extra place to carry LOUD Bass. For example, explosions. This works because it is recorded 10dB down from the regular speaker channels to provide the extra headroom. (With boost applied in the signal path during playback to get it back up to where it is supposed to be.)

The Subwoofer plays the LFE content, and it also plays the Bass content from the regular speaker channels "steered" from those channels to the Subwoofer by the Crossover processing in the Anthem.

The temporary Level adjustments available via that button on the remote provide adjustment for the Subwoofer and also for LFE. The Sub adjustment applies to EVERYTHING going to the Sub -- both LFE and the steered bass. The LFE adjustment on the other hand only applies to the LFE (applied before it gets mixed with the steered bass going to the Sub). The Sub adjustment goes up and down, but the LFE adjustment only goes down because LFE content may already be recorded to the limits of what it can carry.

If you lower the LFE adjustment, then that component of the Bass going to the Sub will be reduced in Volume, but the steered bass from the regular speaker channels will not be altered.

Playing with any of these temporary level adjustments is purely a matter of taste -- and will typically depend on how you like the mix in the content you are playing. I.e., you do NOT use these adjustments to calibrate your system for proper playback of well-mixed audio. The temporary adjustments do not change the Level settings found in the Setup menu (typically uploaded into your system as part of its ARC setup).

Also note the "Reset On The Fly Settings" choice available in the Setup menu. You can use it clear ALL of the various temporary settings in one go in case you are not sure which ones you've played with.
--Bob

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Thanks. Was there any mention of a release date?
Trying to decide if an upgrade from my MRX1120 is in order for Christmas/January planning, or if it is going to be several months into 2021.
I believe the release is next month...there was a countdown clock but not sure if it is for release of info or product.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Thanks for this comment. So you think upgrading say from my mrx720 to the new 740 wouldn’t really be much of an upgrade, I see why you said but what all exactly did they upgrade I wonder? Thanks
I guess that is up to you and what your plans are. Obviously we would want to wait to see what the finished product is like officially. Like I said, for me anything is an upgrade from an old ~$300-500 Sony. If not in sound quality in at least digital connectivity.

10801 - 10820 of 10954 Posts