AVS Forum banner

10841 - 10860 of 10954 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
Klipsch & JTR & Anthem & Parasound & good music & movies makes for some unforgettable memories!
243 Posts
So I have a question.
PREAMPLIFIER
Maximum Output (<0.1% THD) 4.2 Vrms, subwoofer channel 5.2 Vrms
Frequency Response (2 Vrms output) 10 Hz — 31 kHz (+0, -0.25 dB)
Frequency Response, Analog-Direct (2 Vrms output) 10 Hz — 48 kHz (+0, -0.25 dB)
THD+N (2 Vrms output) -95 dB
S/N Ratio (2 Vrms output, IEC-A filter) 110 dB
What does 2vrms output mean under frequency response and what is analog direct? Is the frequency response for 2 channel listening 20-20? Also it says it only goes down to 10hz but for say my subwoofer which is jtr captivator4000 it can go down flat between 5-7hz, will the reciver actually support that or will it only let my sub go down to 10hz like the specs say?

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Yeah, there are several people smarter than me that have brought up good arguments for manual distance settings since automatic setting speaker distances can be prone to error or something. I used to think that it made more sense to let the AVR report what it "hears" based off of room and environmental factors and let it make corrections based off of that, but the arguments I read about it when I got my 1120 made more sense that there is good reason to never use automatic sensing of distance, even on AVRs that have the capability.
Would love to see those reasons outweigh the incorrectly set manual distances as 99% of users simply don't know how to set them correctly causing lots of bass integration issues as evident on this thread not to mention they need special equipment such as REW to do it. It blows my mind that at least Anthem should explain what to do in the manual but they don't even mention it. Sorry if all other manufacturers use it they at least should provide an option or properly explain the process.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
Would love to see those reasons outweigh the incorrectly set manual distances as 99% of users simply don't know how to set them correctly causing lots of bass integration issues as evident on this thread not to mention they need special equipment such as REW to do it. It blows my mind that at least Anthem should explain what to do in the manual but they don't even mention it. Sorry if all other manufacturers use it they at least should provide an option or properly explain the process.
Yep, I like setting mine manually but I have no idea if I’m doing it correctly which I’d why I would like to have increments of 6 inches rather than a 1ft. And actual instructions how to use distance for bass integration would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
The new units seem really nice though frankly all the new features I might use I have already added to my 720: Chromecast, Airplay via ATV, discrete sub processing via minidsp, etc.

That said for people that need eARC, or hdmi 2.1 (assuming it gets added later via hardware upgrades), or Bluetooth, or more than 11.x.4 channels these would be a great choice over Denton, Marantz, Yamaha etc.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Yep, I like setting mine manually but I have no idea if I’m doing it correctly which I’d why I would like to have increments of 6 inches rather than a 1ft. And actual instructions how to use distance for bass integration would be helpful.

it simply can't be done accurately without proper tools or auto implementation. What puzzles me is that ARC bass management is worth nothing without proper delay settings and this is precisely why we see lots of dips around the crossover point and owners can't work out why. Crazy stuff from Anthem.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
What surprises me is that you complain about Anthem and their products all the time, and yet are still here. LOL

Better bass management from the AVR requires actual distance measurements, and not "best guess automatic measurements" that tend to either match a quick manual tape-measured distance or are pretty far off due to room acoustics, so I don't see your point there.

This does not take into account any other variables or testing outside of ARC, like using REW, miniDSP, etc into bass management.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
it simply can't be done accurately without proper tools or auto implementation. What puzzles me is that ARC bass management is worth nothing without proper delay settings and this is precisely why we see lots of dips around the crossover point and owners can't work out why. Crazy stuff from Anthem.
I use my subs PEQ to smooth out the dips.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The new units seem really nice though frankly all the new features I might use I have already added to my 720: Chromecast, Airplay via ATV, discrete sub processing via minidsp, etc.

That said for people that need eARC, or hdmi 2.1 (assuming it gets added later via hardware upgrades), or Bluetooth, or more than 11.x.4 channels these would be a great choice over Denton, Marantz, Yamaha etc.
I'm in the market to replace an old AVR and, while 2.1 isn't a necessity at this point, Bluetooth and Airplay (I have a Roku) would be nice. Probably going to be a decision between a Marantz and the MRX540. A bit of apples and oranges perhaps, but there will be a not insignificant price difference as well.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
What surprises me is that you complain about Anthem and their products all the time, and yet are still here. LOL

Proper bass management requires actual distance measurements, and not "best guess automatic measurements" so I don't see your point there.
I am not complaining at all I just want a basic essential feature done and no its not distance measurement this is where most go wrong but this has been discussed in detail here before. I put in a lot if effort to demonstrate and help others you obviously did not see that one. Distance is delay. Anyway if you don't want your system setup the way it should be than yes you don't need this feature.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
If I had one gripe with the Anthem processors, it would be the lack of automatic delay settings. That's keeping it from being a truly one and done automatic room correction system. It's not a problem for me, I use REW take measurements to get everything aligned. I don't use Anthems delay settings either since they only use 1 foot increments, I use the DSP built into my Crown amps, I get much more accurate delays when set properly. Add that, and some sort of setup that calibrated multiple subs similarly to how MSO sets up multiple subs, and it'll be a HUGE winner.

But not everybody has REW and a measurement mic so I think it should at least be an option if you want ARC to set delays or not.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Proper bass management requires actual distance measurements, and not "best guess automatic measurements" so I don't see your point there.
I disagree, especially in multi-sub setups. I set my subwoofer distance of 9' based on the actual measurement and that resulted in a huge null at the crossover frequency. I ran sweeps in REW, changing the distance until the null went away at 3'. Having room correction software automatically set the distance might not be entirely accurate either. The results still need to be verified in REW.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
I compared the distances (delays) that ARC set versus what REW told me with a calibrated microphone and found the mains were all correct (or as correct as possible with the not too granular settings available).

The sub distance/delay was okay but the crossover could be improved by adjusting it further or changing the crossover to avoid a problem at the crossover region. (I posted all the measurements and what ARC chose, earlier in this thread or in the ARC Genesis thread.)

ARC isn't perfect but if I was not inclined to use REW, I would feel better about what ARC does on its own versus any other automatic correction system I have tried (Audyssey, YPAO). It's the subs that are most likely to benefit from additional tweaking, especially in dual (or more) sub setups, imo.

I realize in some rooms with some other great and non optimal choices for sub placement that the results from ARC are likely to be less stellar versus ideal but suspect the ARC results will still be more pleasing than most automated systems.

·
Registered
10,276 Posts
I use my subs PEQ to smooth out the dips.

that won't help with proper integration
If one has a single sub, using the PEQ on it, and adjusting phase or delay to get a good acoustical integration with the mains should be possible, right?

But once there are two subs, though the phase knobs on the subs could help to time align them, using PEQ on each sub becomes problematic because one wants to treat them as a mono unit. I guess theoretically if it is precise digital PEQ and one does exactly the same thing on each one, and does tedious adjust/measure/adjust/measure for a while, it might be possible to get close. But at that point I'd probably vote to time align them with phase controls on the subs (non trivial in itself) and hope that ARC does the EQ well (sees them as a mono source and does it's best to tame peaks) instead of trying to coordinate PEQ on each individual sub.

But I'm also not a perfectionist and realize this is a compromise approach...... and this is really entering the realm where even a $99 miniDSP + a good microphone + REW can make a world of impact.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
that won't help with proper integration
I have REW and a minidsp umik-1 but haven't used it recently since my system is not at its permanent location. Once it is, I'll go to town on everything. Currently, I have a small dip at 55Hz so I'm not terribly worried about it now.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I put in a lot if effort to demonstrate and help others you obviously did not see that one. Distance is delay. Anyway if you don't want your system setup the way it should be than yes you don't need this feature.
Yes, you do provide a lot of help and its greatly appreciated!

Reactions: coz2001 and Bandyka

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I disagree, especially in multi-sub setups. I set my subwoofer distance of 9' based on the actual measurement and that resulted in a huge null at the crossover frequency. I ran sweeps in REW, changing the distance until the null went away at 3'. Having room correction software automatically set the distance might not be entirely accurate either. The results still need to be verified in REW.
I completely agree that subs are different, and we can get into a number of exceptions to every statement out there, but we were just talking about manually entering distances of speakers vs. letting the AVR or pre/pro do it automagically. With subs, adding some different delays (depending on the number of subs, using a miniDSP, etc) can help with nulls, but again we were just talking manual AVR entries vs. automatic estimates. I will go back and update my statement for more clarity.

But yes, adding manual REW measurements to play around with faux-subwoofer distances can help, but again, the argument here was around someone not wanting any manual measuring of anything, and just having the AVR do it all automatically. I was just stating that it doesn't always yield accurate results, and thus the reason Athem left it out for all speakers (and subs) per discussions years ago.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I am not complaining at all I just want a basic essential feature done and no its not distance measurement this is where most go wrong but this has been discussed in detail here before. I put in a lot if effort to demonstrate and help others you obviously did not see that one. Distance is delay. Anyway if you don't want your system setup the way it should be than yes you don't need this feature.
Exactly.

I have my subs set at 23 feet even though they're 11 feet from me. That was the trick.

10841 - 10860 of 10954 Posts