AVS Forum banner

10941 - 10960 of 11109 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi everyone.

I've been slowly piecing together my system bit by bit. I've come down to the final 2 pieces, the sub, and the AVR.
I'm building a 5.1.2 setup for my basement with the following:
LR: Paradigm Prestige 15b
Center: Paradigm Prestige 55c
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Atmos: Ceiling mounted SVS Prime Elevation

Other:
Physical Media: Panasonic UB820
Streaming: Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) (will also use this to stream from my NAS through plex)
Xbox Series X for games
Late evening watching, I'll definitely have to use headphones

I've tried to do as much research as possible. I don't really know the right questions to ask, but have been eyeing Anthem AVRs, as recommended by my the dealer from whom I purchased the Paradigms.

I have a few options. I can spring for an MRX 740, though even then, the price is somewhat off-putting, especially considering what I've seen from Sound United products I've looked at. Again, I'm pretty new to all of this, so comparing AVRs is beyond me at the current time.

Another option that I have available to me is to buy a trade-in MRX 720 from my dealer, once people's new Receivers come in December.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Hi everyone.

I've been slowly piecing together my system bit by bit. I've come down to the final 2 pieces, the sub, and the AVR.
I'm building a 5.1.2 setup for my basement with the following:
LR: Paradigm Prestige 15b
Center: Paradigm Prestige 55c
Surrounds: Paradigm Monitor SE Atom
Atmos: Ceiling mounted SVS Prime Elevation

Other:
Physical Media: Panasonic UB820
Streaming: Nvidia Shield Pro (2019) (will also use this to stream from my NAS through plex)
Xbox Series X for games
Late evening watching, I'll definitely have to use headphones

I've tried to do as much research as possible. I don't really know the right questions to ask, but have been eyeing Anthem AVRs, as recommended by my the dealer from whom I purchased the Paradigms.

I have a few options. I can spring for an MRX 740, though even then, the price is somewhat off-putting, especially considering what I've seen from Sound United products I've looked at. Again, I'm pretty new to all of this, so comparing AVRs is beyond me at the current time.

Another option that I have available to me is to buy a trade-in MRX 720 from my dealer, once people's new Receivers come in December.
i would not trade in 720 for 740, better of spend that money on external amp more value added in my opinion.

Reactions: madrac

·
Registered
71 Posts
i would not trade in 720 for 740, better of spend that money on external amp more value added in my opinion.
Ah sorry, don't think I made it clear.

I don't have an AVR right now. What I meant is that I could purchase a used MRX 720 from my dealer when people trade theirs in for the new AVRs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what I'm hoping to learn from you guys. But I guess I'd like to know opinions on a few things.

Do you guys think its worth it/or safe to buy a used avr, like an MRX 720 from a dealer.

The 20 series is getting pretty aged now, how long on average do AVRs last before they have issues?

Followup to the above, what would I lose out/gain if I choose this over, say, an 'equivalent' Denon from this year?

I think i remember reading a few months back when I was lurking these threads something about issues using 2 subs with the 720?

Is there anything else that i need to know?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what I'm hoping to learn from you guys. But I guess I'd like to know opinions on a few things.

Do you guys think its worth it/or safe to buy a used avr, like an MRX 720 from a dealer.

The 20 series is getting pretty aged now, how long on average do AVRs last before they have issues?

Followup to the above, what would I lose out/gain if I choose this over, say, an 'equivalent' Denon from this year?

I think i remember reading a few months back when I was lurking these threads something about issues using 2 subs with the 720?

Is there anything else that i need to know?
high end AVR are not updated every year may be 3-4 years, 720 is safe to buy used if savings are good and warranty intact, like 20 percent or more, brand like anthem or Arcam are not much into bell and whistles, so you will have less features, what I realized is those features not used that much, at the end of day quality of sound matter.
If you want two independent subs you are looking at $3600 plus on 1140 model. so you can do the math if it worth that much extra for you. I have done separate subwoofer calibration with 1120 I bought few months ago. 1140 is needed for marketing reasons to sell new products but content wise you will not miss much between 1120 and 1140, appearance much better on 1140. this is for if some want to update.
At low end under 1500 Denon/Marantz are good but if you go at 720 price level I will go with Anthem, I moved from Marantz to Anthem. Anthem ARC is better for most people than Audessy of Marantz.
If 8K is important to you then wait at least a year to let dust settles on the issues. advantage of 20 series is most bugs are already fixed.
on AVR reliability, heat is enemy of electronic failures mostly, if you don't have any failures first year and have good ventilation your AVR should last long time. My Yamaha was working fine for 10 plus years when I upgraded it. then pioneer elite for 8 years almost no issues on any. they were all higher end units not base models.
with Atmos 4 channels either AVR will do class D amplification or have preout for external amps, I do not see how one pack all these channels in the chassis at lower price point, for dedicated home theater separates will be the way to go.

·
Registered
71 Posts
high end AVR are not updated every year may be 3-4 years, 720 is safe to buy used if savings are good and warranty intact, like 20 percent or more, brand like anthem or Arcam are not much into bell and whistles, so you will have less features, what I realized is those features not used that much, at the end of day quality of sound matter.
If you want two independent subs you are looking at $3600 plus on 1140 model. so you can do the math if it worth that much extra for you. I have done separate subwoofer calibration with 1120 I bought few months ago. 1140 is needed for marketing reasons to sell new products but content wise you will not miss much between 1120 and 1140, appearance much better on 1140. this is for if some want to update.
At low end under 1500 Denon/Marantz are good but if you go at 720 price level I will go with Anthem, I moved from Marantz to Anthem. Anthem ARC is better for most people than Audessy of Marantz.
If 8K is important to you then wait at least a year to let dust settles on the issues. advantage of 20 series is most bugs are already fixed.
on AVR reliability, heat is enemy of electronic failures mostly, if you don't have any failures first year and have good ventilation your AVR should last long time. My Yamaha was working fine for 10 plus years when I upgraded it. then pioneer elite for 8 years almost no issues on any. they were all higher end units not base models.
with Atmos 4 channels either AVR will do class D amplification or have preout for external amps, I do not see how one pack all these channels in the chassis at lower price point, for dedicated home theater separates will be the way to go.
Thank you so much for the detailed response, I genuinely appreciate it.

I'm not sure what warranty will be offered, I'll be sure to key in on that when the dealer calls me when one comes in. I don't need the majority of bells and whistles, I've got external devices that can handle that.

Can you elaborate on 'independent' subs?

The heat issue may be of a little concern to me as I'll likely keep the unit inside of a closed (but ventilated) BDI cabinet. Should I consider getting something like an AC Infinity Aircom device?

Just a note on the power and amplification. I'll be doing 5.1.2 (or 2 subs) if I get the 720, or 7.1.2 if I get the 1120 (unfortunately, no room to do rear atmos due to unfortunately placed ductwork). I definitely don't plan on running anywhere near reference. I'm hoping to get by with just an AVR in this room. I'll look into the separates in the next house/theater that I plan. Do you think i'll run into power issues? From what I understand, my Paradigm speakers are relatively easy to drive.

8k is not important to me, and will not for a while, as I just spent a pretty penny on a 77" LG CX, so I'm set on the display department for a while.

·
Registered
263 Posts
m thinking about an order...anyone have any accurate beta on release dates for the new receivers? With covid- i have to think a lot of things can go wrong with any supply chain.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you have the 77CX the Anthem won't be able to pass through 4K120/VRR if you are getting an Xbox series x or ps5
Technically with all the issues with hdmi 2.1, currently in AVRs, isn’t this an issue for everyone at the current time?

Can you bypass the AVR for video and go direct to tv? Is there some way around this or should I really just key in on AVRs with hdmi 2.1?

Also, iserum mentioned 2 independent subs, what does this mean vs other configurations?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Current subs connection are kind of y splitters from AVR to subwoofers. In 1140 the subs can be calibrated independent of each other. You can have two different kind of subwoofers they will be calibrated in ARC. In current avrs you have to tune them at same level let say 75 db using manual setup in ARC genesis software.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Technically with all the issues with hdmi 2.1, currently in AVRs, isn’t this an issue for everyone at the current time?

Can you bypass the AVR for video and go direct to tv? Is there some way around this or should I really just key in on AVRs with hdmi 2.1?

Also, iserum mentioned 2 independent subs, what does this mean vs other configurations?
Yes the HDMI 2.1 bug in the current AVR chipset makes it an issue. But the new Anthem 40 series is designed to have an upgradeable HDMI board that will be 2.1 so that’s the long term plan.

You can plug everything to the TV and use eARC to send video back to the current AVR as a workaround.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Has anyone had this issue with wifi set-up on the MRX 720? If I broadcast SSID on wifi, the 720 will find the network and connect. But if I switch SSID broadcast off after that, the 720 appears to lose the connection to the wifi network after that. This is the only device that I've ever hooked up to our wifi network that seems to lose the connection once SSID broadcast is shut off after previously successfully connecting to it.

Maybe I'm being a goof because I think not broadcasting the SSID makes the network more secure - LOL? Thus creating my own headache.

Anyway - if anyone else has experienced this issue with the MRX 720 and figured out a fix I'd appreciate it if you would share it here.

- Cheers,
JD

·
Read the FAQ!
35,577 Posts
Disabling broadcast of the network name does not increase security. That’s because the network name also appears, unencrypted, in multiple other WiFi transmissions. Apple, for example, actually recommends against hiding the network name, as “hidden” networks can cause other problems.

That said, last time I tried it (over a year ago) the AVM 60 had no problem reconnecting to a hidden WiFi from Apple Airport hardware. So your problem may be new.
—Bob

·
Registered
650 Posts
Has anyone had this issue with wifi set-up on the MRX 720? If I broadcast SSID on wifi, the 720 will find the network and connect. But if I switch SSID broadcast off after that, the 720 appears to lose the connection to the wifi network after that. This is the only device that I've ever hooked up to our wifi network that seems to lose the connection once SSID broadcast is shut off after previously successfully connecting to it.

Maybe I'm being a goof because I think not broadcasting the SSID makes the network more secure - LOL? Thus creating my own headache.

Anyway - if anyone else has experienced this issue with the MRX 720 and figured out a fix I'd appreciate it if you would share it here.

- Cheers,
JD
I had this problem with my Vizio TV. Bob is correct. The SSID is still broadcast in management packets but for the novice hacker it can make it harder to figure out the network but for lightly skilled hackers it is too easy. Download a tool and bam, there is the SSID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am in the process of upgrading my front speakers: going from a pair of CM8 S2 to the 804 D3. Will the Anthem MRX 720 be able to correctly drive the new speaker? I would prefer not to add external amplification and stay with a single box solution ;)

As I am living in a condo I fear that the larger bass extension of the new speaker (I don’t own subs) may bother the neighbours at night (when we mostly watch movies). Is the LATE NIGHT mode of the Dolby Volume any good?

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Those B&W are fun speakers.

I am in the process of upgrading my front speakers: going from a pair of CM8 S2 to the 804 D3. Will te Anthem MRX 720 be able to correctly drive the new speaker? I would prefer not to add external amplification and stay with a single box solution ;)
Yes, though if you are also driving 3 to 5 other speakers in a surround setup, and not using a subwoofer, that is a lot to ask of any receiver. But it appears from your later comment that you are probably not trying to reach reference volume in this room.

Personally, I went with the 805 D3 and used a subwoofer for the bass. That is a lot easier for the Anthem to drive since the sub has an amp, and it allowed for better more accurate bass response in my room since the sub could be positioned and equalized to provide more accurate response.

But I understand the aesthetic appeal of the floor standing version.

As I am living in a condo I fear that the larger bass extension of the new speaker (I don’t own subs) may bother the neighbours at night (when we mostly watch movies). Is the LATE NIGHT mode of the Dolby Volume any good?
It is good in the sense that it reduces the dynamic range of the audio. And that may help prevent neighbors from being annoyed.

But frankly for late night viewing I find it MUCH more pleasing to use a pair of quality headphones. That way you can listen at a solid volume with full dynamic range and not bother anyone at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those B&W are fun speakers.

Yes, though if you are also driving 3 to 5 other speakers in a surround setup, and not using a subwoofer, that is a lot to ask of any receiver. But it appears from your later comment that you are probably not trying to reach reference volume in this room.

Personally, I went with the 805 D3 and used a subwoofer for the bass. That is a lot easier for the Anthem to drive since the sub has an amp, and it allowed for better more accurate bass response in my room since the sub could be positioned and equalized to provide more accurate response.

But I understand the aesthetic appeal of the floor standing version.

It is good in the sense that it reduces the dynamic range of the audio. And that may help prevent neighbors from being annoyed.

But frankly for late night viewing I find it MUCH more pleasing to use a pair of quality headphones. That way you can listen at a solid volume with full dynamic range and not bother anyone at all.
Thanks for your reply. We hesitated long between the 805 and the 804 but the 804 were sounding more pleasing to both my wife and me for most tracks we tested. The 804 are obviously fuller at the bottom end but I was however surprised that the high-frequency was sometime harsher on the 804 (and more pleasing on the 805). In addition, I found that the price difference between the 804 and 805 (with stands) was relatively small (25% or so)... In terms of aesthetic, I must say that I find both to be pleasant looking (the wifey actually preferred the 805 on stands to the 804).

Indeed, we mostly listens around -50 to -30 dB, so we are relatively far off the reference level. I will try to play a bit with Dolby volume and see how I can integrate it into Harmony control.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi All,

Very interested this new offering from Anthem. I'm building a 5.1.4 system and was considering a Anthem MRX 1120 or a NAD T778. With the 1140 now out I'm considering that. Any perspective on if the added cost is advised over the NAD T778?

Edit:
Likely driving Focal Aria 906 and then Focal 300 series in wall speakers for the rest of the 5.1.4 system.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi y'all... new guy to the Anthem brand here. I have been out of the HT scene for quite a while, but now trying to play catchup. From what I have read, I am going to be very happy with the 1120 that I just ordered for many years to come, even though its 4-5 years old. Picked it based off of a recommendation from a good friend, as well as I can't help but support companies from the "Mother-land."

While I will typically try reading through everything, does anyone have an abridged version of hints/tips/etc. Almost 11,000 posts is a lot of catching up to do, and I will assume some of it is out-dated due to software updates.

I will be running some older Klipsch Reference Series speakers (5.1 system), as well as a few Def. Tech in-walls (acquired from a client) that I am using as in-ceiling. This will allow me to do a 7.1.2 system as recommended by a local installer. Looking forward to the many hours of entertainment in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Luckily the unit is pretty simple and the instructions from Anthem are pretty good. You shouldn't need any special insight or tips beyond that.

But if you do run into any weirdness or have questions once you try the official instructions, post about it here and I'm sure we will have ideas!

10941 - 10960 of 11109 Posts