AVS Forum banner

11101 - 11120 of 11207 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've emailed Anthem, but, in the meantime, any know the single ended input impedance for the MRX720?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I want to use the video sources (Oppo 203, X1 cable box, AppleTV 4K) connected to my MRX-720 on my TV (Sony 65A8H) with Sonos Arc sound bar. Can I use HDMI Out 2 (non-ARC) to non-ARC HDMI input on my TV if I do not want to use the speakers connected to my AVR?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone having issues with the AVM60 and video drop outs? Or handshake issues switching resolutions?
Sorry to say my AVM60 is currently back in Canada having the HDMI board replaced for these same issues. IMO the HDMI side of this particular Anthem line is terrible. I'm on my second unit and second HDMI repair. I know this makes no sense but it seems like the boards degrade over time and get worse, becoming more finicky as to when they will and won't sync, and what resolution they will sync at. After 15 years with an AVM20 that was flawless, I'm not really happy with the 60.

·
Registered
24 Posts
From Audioholics - Anthem Releases New 11CH & 15CH AVM A/V Processors and MRX Receivers

The new lineup of MRX Receivers will include the 540, 740, and 1140 models. Anthem says that the MRX A/V Receivers are "about maximizing performance for the money". MRX Receiver channels can be assigned in many ways. For instance you can Bi-amp demanding speakers by assigning unused channels to bass or mid-range drivers. Extra channels power an additional audio zone in a whole-house system. Set up any configuration of height, width or presence speakers in a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X system; then balance the presentation with ARC Genesis.

Building on the feature set of previous models, the MRX 540, 740 and 1140 now include:
Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and IMAX Enhanced
Latest version of ARC Genesis Room correction.
Anthem Web User Interface.
All-New Electronics Platform, up to 15.2 channels, HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, hardware upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 (8K).
New Networking Platform with web-based setup and over-the-air updates.
Next-Generation Multi-core DSP Platform.
Modernized Design with high resolution front panel display.
Platform Agnostic Streaming with AirPlay2, Google Chromecast (Audio), Bluetooth v4.2, and Spotify Connect (coming soon!) and Roon (coming soon!).
Video support including 7 HDMI 2.0b inputs with 2 outputs and independent Zone 2 HDMI.
eARC for seamless integration with smart TVs.
Pass-through of Ultra HD signals with Dolby Vision, HDR or Hybrid Log Gamma.
Redesigned and higher precision calibration microphone.
Amplifier re-assignment with up to 10 channels on MRX1140, 6 on MRX 740, and 4 on MRX 540.

From Audioholics - Anthem Releases New 11CH & 15CH AVM A/V Processors and MRX Receivers

The new lineup of MRX Receivers will include the 540, 740, and 1140 models. Anthem says that the MRX A/V Receivers are "about maximizing performance for the money". MRX Receiver channels can be assigned in many ways. For instance you can Bi-amp demanding speakers by assigning unused channels to bass or mid-range drivers. Extra channels power an additional audio zone in a whole-house system. Set up any configuration of height, width or presence speakers in a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X system; then balance the presentation with ARC Genesis.

Building on the feature set of previous models, the MRX 540, 740 and 1140 now include:
Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and IMAX Enhanced
Latest version of ARC Genesis Room correction.
Anthem Web User Interface.
All-New Electronics Platform, up to 15.2 channels, HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, hardware upgradeable to HDMI 2.1 (8K).
New Networking Platform with web-based setup and over-the-air updates.
Next-Generation Multi-core DSP Platform.
Modernized Design with high resolution front panel display.
Platform Agnostic Streaming with AirPlay2, Google Chromecast (Audio), Bluetooth v4.2, and Spotify Connect (coming soon!) and Roon (coming soon!).
Video support including 7 HDMI 2.0b inputs with 2 outputs and independent Zone 2 HDMI.
eARC for seamless integration with smart TVs.
Pass-through of Ultra HD signals with Dolby Vision, HDR or Hybrid Log Gamma.
Redesigned and higher precision calibration microphone.
Amplifier re-assignment with up to 10 channels on MRX1140, 6 on MRX 740, and 4 on MRX 540.

hi
Sorry not sure if I’m asking in the right place but will the Anthem 540 do 5.1.4 with on external power amp
Thank you

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
@justmitch I believe it has 11 preouts with 7 internal amps which mean it can expand to 7.1.4
The back of the unit from the Anthem web site looks like 7 main pre-out's to me. Not 100% clear on what this means. The configuration looks like 5.2.2. Thoughts?

EDIT
Also, there are only 5 speaker connections. Doesn't that mean just 5 amplified channels?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The back of the unit from the Anthem web site looks like 7 main pre-out's to me. Not 100% clear on what this means. The configuration looks like 5.2.2. Thoughts?

EDIT
Also, there are only 5 speaker connections. Doesn't that mean just 5 amplified channels?
Yes. The 5xx have 5 amps, the 7xx has 7 amps, and the 11 has 11 I thought. And the 7 and 11 handle 7.1.4

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Yes. The 5xx have 5 amps, the 7xx has 7 amps, and the 11 has 11 I thought. And the 7 and 11 handle 7.1.4
Didn't pick up on the significance of that first digit! Too funny... missed that all these years. :) Thanks for calling that out.

Shouldn't the support for 2 subs on the 7 and 11 mean 7.2.4?

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Didn't pick up on the significance of that first digit! Too funny... missed that all these years. :) Thanks for calling that out.

Shouldn't the support for 2 subs on the 7 and 11 mean 7.2.4?
You can have as many as you want but the actual signal is just one sub channel. But the new model does allow separate room correction on both outputs

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Ive been running an MRX510 since 2014 and recently updated to 4K. Looking to possible update the Anthem.

I have a line from my Anthem dealer on a year old 720 that will be traded in next week at about $900 cheaper than a new 740 (when available). Aside from 4K hdmi capability and more amp wattage, are there any improvements over the 510 should expect on a 5.2 speaker setup?

Also I am considering waiting on the (hopefully) 20% Anthem trade in sale that they usually have in the spring and looking into a 540 or 740.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a line from my Anthem dealer on a year old 720 that will be traded in next week at about $900 cheaper than a new 740 (when available). Aside from 4K hdmi capability and more amp wattage, are there any improvements over the 510 should expect on a 5.2 speaker setup?

Also I am considering waiting on the (hopefully) 20% Anthem trade in sale that they usually have in the spring and looking into a 540 or 740.
The additional 4k capability is basically the main upgrade + wireless capability with streaming, in addition to the more modern audio codecs on the 720 (Atmos, etc). Although I don't have a crystal ball to predict the future, but based on the fact that current supply chains are still pretty much a mess, I'd have doubts that Anthem will be offering a trade in sale any time soon on their receivers. They seem to be having delays even getting the new x40 series out the door at the moment, but so are a lot of other manufacturers having product availability issues. Again, this is just pure speculation based on how the markets seem to be at present.

In addition, the HDMI capability is still the same on the 740 vs. the 720 at this time, with plans to update (at some undefined cost) at a later date. In my opinion, I feel the current configuration on the x40 is just a stopgap until they officially release the new HDMI boards. I'm holding off on even considering any upgrade from my current MRX520 until 2022 at the earliest. Hopefully by then, we'll have some sort of normalcy in the electronic supply chains as well. If you're a big gamer and can actually get your hands on a PS5 or Xbox (or both) someday, go for the x40 series that has an upgrade path (whenever that will be), however, if you just like watching 4k movies and listening to music, the 720 would work just fine.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The additional 4k capability is basically the main upgrade + wireless capability with streaming, in addition to the more modern audio codecs on the 720 (Atmos, etc). Although I don't have a crystal ball to predict the future, but based on the fact that current supply chains are still pretty much a mess, I'd have doubts that Anthem will be offering a trade in sale any time soon on their receivers. They seem to be having delays even getting the new x40 series out the door at the moment, but so are a lot of other manufacturers having product availability issues. Again, this is just pure speculation based on how the markets seem to be at present.

In addition, the HDMI capability is still the same on the 740 vs. the 720 at this time, with plans to update (at some undefined cost) at a later date. In my opinion, I feel the current configuration on the x40 is just a stopgap until they officially release the new HDMI boards. I'm holding off on even considering any upgrade from my current MRX520 until 2022 at the earliest. Hopefully by then, we'll have some sort of normalcy in the electronic supply chains as well. If you're a big gamer and can actually get your hands on a PS5 or Xbox (or both) someday, go for the x40 series that has an upgrade path (whenever that will be), however, if you just like watching 4k movies and listening to music, the 720 would work just fine.
Thanks. Pretty much my way of thinking as well on all points. Also, who knows if the roll out will be without bugs.

How about the pricing of the year old 720 at 1800? I have to find out if it has the remaining warranty. Truthfully if I had a line on a 520 closer under 1K that would be my direction. I see that a few have been offered and sold in the classifieds but the pricing has been removed at time of sale so I cant judge current value of the models.

Also wondering if an HDMI switch to seperate video and audio may get me by for now. Really only need it for a streaming unit (Shield ot Roku) as the Panasonic 820 has dual hdmi output.

Really missing OPPO's hdmi input and dual output-that would have solved my issue

·
Registered
4,135 Posts

Also, don't forget that AKM had a fire at their chip manufacturing plant so the availability of DAC chips has stopped.

Reactions: gbreda

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
How about the pricing of the year old 720 at 1800? I have to find out if it has the remaining warranty. Truthfully if I had a line on a 520 closer under 1K that would be my direction. I see that a few have been offered and sold in the classifieds but the pricing has been removed at time of sale so I cant judge current value of the models.
I can't really value whether this is a good discount or not. I suspect there will be a bunch of X20 models for sale once first responders get their new models. Seeing as Anthem has a 5 year span on every line, there would likely be more upgraders than D&M/Yamaha owners.
Your call though, I wouldn't want that to be my responsibility if you can't find a better deal ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I can't really value whether this is a good discount or not. I suspect there will be a bunch of X20 models for sale once first responders get their new models. Seeing as Anthem has a 5 year span on every line, there would likely be more upgraders than D&M/Yamaha owners.
Your call though, I wouldn't want that to be my responsibility if you can't find a better deal ;)
Agreed on the hopeful availability of X20 units after rollout of the X40's.

In regards to value of the current 720 offer, I think that this is where the question of warranty might come in as well as if it has everything with it including original boxes (which I always keep)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Agreed on the hopeful availability of X20 units after rollout of the X40's.

In regards to value of the current 720 offer, I think that this is where the question of warranty might come in as well as if it has everything with it including original boxes (which I always keep)
Hard to predict how upgraders will price their old units too. The newer ones with some substantial warranty time left in them will probably be more like the one that was offered to you. Depends how saturated the 2nd hand market will become and how easy it would be to sell.
Personally, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new model, but only after the HDMI upgrade is shipped with it. I like the old design better, but eARC is a standard for some years now, and HDMI 2.1 8K/120Hz may become what 4K is now in two years time or so.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Hard to predict how upgraders will price their old units too. The newer ones with some substantial warranty time left in them will probably be more like the one that was offered to you. Depends how saturated the 2nd hand market will become and how easy it would be to sell.
Personally, I'd bite the bullet and buy a new model, but only after the HDMI upgrade is shipped with it. I like the old design better, but eARC is a standard for some years now, and HDMI 2.1 8K/120Hz may become what 4K is now in two years time or so.
True...I don't see myself upgrading to 8K in the next 5 years so I'll probably skip this generation. Of course, this is subject to change depending on what other items I upgrade. I do keep looking at the new MCA 525 so that may be my next upgrade.

Reactions: madrac

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
True...I don't see myself upgrading to 8K in the next 5 years so I'll probably skip this generation. Of course, this is subject to change depending on what other items I upgrade. I do keep looking at the new MCA 525 so that may be my next upgrade.
I can't see myself upgrading to 8K either. I don't game, which seems to be the biggest application for it at the moment and content wise there is next to non. A big chunk of existing UHD movies are upscaled from 2K with the addition of HDR and Atmos to make it more attractive. Unless the studios are going to come up with some exciting new format like say DV+, I can't see anything prompting me to upgrade. Of course if something like that happens these models would not support it anyway :) Just like what happened with the jump from 1080p to 4K and then to 4K with HDR.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I don't see myself upgrading either for 8K...for me, 4K is fine as more into music/vinyl then movies now...

Reactions: nickbuol

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't see myself upgrading either for 8K...for me, 4K is fine as more into music/vinyl then movies now...
I have the MRX 1140 possibly in my future plans in 3 to 4 years as I previously considered an 1120 model, but I'm going to start saving up now as that price tag is quite steep. Who knows, if Onkyo hopefully recovers financially and the Dirac room correction baked into their upcoming receiver lineup takes off, perhaps that will excite the market again. Perhaps Anthem will even add independent subwoofer channels to the "lower end" successors to the 540 & 740 receivers as well! For now, my MRX 520 works very well and is bug free.

11101 - 11120 of 11207 Posts