AVS Forum banner

11201 - 11220 of 11259 Posts

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Unless you are like 12 feet from those from speakers or more, especially when using bass management, adding an amp is not likely to make much difference. If you want a warmer sound, just use the options in ARC to build a house curve with more downward tilt in the high frequencies.

There is science behind how much power you need: Amplifier power / SPL calculator for home theater THX reference level - Acoustic Frontiers

Regarding amp "sound signature": If it has one, that's a not a good amp, imo. We've had the ability for a few decades to make an amp that is 100% true to the source.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Like others on here, I’m thinking of adding a separate 2-channel amp for my main L & R speakers. I have a MRX 720 running a 5.2.4 setup in a open floor plan living room. The speakers are Revel Concerta 2 F36 (91 db sensitivity at 6 ohms) and the center channel is a Concerta 2 C25 (also have two Rythmik subs). I’m wondering what I’d need to spend to make it worthwhile for an improvement. Would it make more sense to go with a 3 channel to inc the central channel? I’m 75/25 music over movies.

I was thinking around $1000 range. I prefer warm/mellow versus analytical. A few ideas: one of the Nord Hypex Ncore amps or Apollonaudio amps (there are a bunch, not sure which one in either brand), or the Monoprice Monolith.

The Schiit Audio Aegir with its class A design sounds really intriguing, but I doubt it’s enough power for my speakers. I am crossing them over at 80 Hz, but Revel recommends 30-200 watts and the Aegir is 20 watts at 8 ohm and 40 watts at 4 ohm. Schiit has the Vidar at $100 less at $699 and 100 watts, but not sure if it would be an improvement over the MRX 720.
Adding power amps was the best decision and investment I've made on this front. IF you have the speakers that benefit it will be well worth it. I added an Anthem MCA20 to the fronts and an Emotiva monoblock to power the centre, an older Technics amp to drive the Atmos overhead and surrounds remain on the 720. The comments I get from audiophile mates is usually "I can't believe how clean and dynamic it sounds at any volume". The second best thing was building my own subs. These two things transformed my cave into a very high end listening room. Ohh and of course treatment and bass management is paramount.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Unless you are like 12 feet from those from speakers or more, especially when using bass management, adding an amp is not likely to make much difference. If you want a warmer sound, just use the options in ARC to build a house curve with more downward tilt in the high frequencies.
Disagree, see my previous comment. Also, sound signature won't change whatever you do with ARC, it depends on the amp and the speakers.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Guess my ears are too old to know.

I have used several outboard amps including one made by Mark Levinson and except with inefficient speakers like Magnepans it didn’t make a difference in my room.

But then if an amp imparts a sonic signature I consider that a defect. So my goals may be different.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Adding power amps was the best decision and investment I've made on this front. IF you have the speakers that benefit it will be well worth it. I added an Anthem MCA20 to the fronts and an Emotiva monoblock to power the centre, an older Technics amp to drive the Atmos overhead and surrounds remain on the 720. The comments I get from audiophile mates is usually "I can't believe how clean and dynamic it sounds at any volume". The second best thing was building my own subs. These two things transformed my cave into a very high end listening room. Ohh and of course treatment and bass management is paramount.
Nice to hear about your experience. My Concerta 2 speakers are Revel’s entry series that are made to work well with receivers, and I’m wondering if they are good enough to notice an upgrade in amplification. I’ll reach out to the Revel speaker community to get their thoughts.
If I do this, I’m leaning to the 3 channel Monoprice Monolith amp. I’ve heard good things about Anthem’s MCA amps, but they are a bit more than I want to spend.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Guess my ears are too old to know.

I have used several outboard amps including one made by Mark Levinson and except with inefficient speakers like Magnepans it didn’t make a difference in my room.

But then if an amp imparts a sonic signature I consider that a defect. So my goals may be different.
Well, the main reason why I went with the power amps is beacuase I knew the speakers could handle a whole lot more than the built in AVR amps can do , in fact I heard the the amps struggle so the upgrade effect was quite obvious but again my speakers were designed for high powered equipment, some others may not benefit as much or at all. However when you push the speakers to their absolute limit and the volume to the max and they just sound more dynamic and remain perfectly clear, thats is an experince worth investing. It has to be heard to honest. I can talk all day but anyone who have heard the system so far left with a huge grin on their face (and a bit of envy :) .

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
Agreed: If one needs more power, there is no substitute (other than more sensitive speakers or sitting closer etc which have the same net impact if they make the existing power become sufficient).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
for dedicated theater room It makes sense to go processor and amp route, the advantages are many only down side is extra cost. amps are rated at all channel driven as compared to AVR 2 channel driven, speakers are driven better with more power. it was ok to expect good power from 5 channels AVRs but with Atmos AVR are for small rooms now. a dedicated processor has much better sound and control. good investment in power amps is better as they last for long time.

Reactions: Bandyka

·
Registered
116 Posts
I posted in the Genesis thread...New release Genesis v1.3.25.
I'm running an 1120 with firmware 1.4.095.

I do not have the decrease in volume and quality for music with ARC on vs ARC off. I haven't gotten into it too much but I did use a simple phone SPL app to measure a steady 80Hz and 120Hz tone with nearly identical results with ARC on vs ARC off. However, Tidal ATMOS music was glitchy with ARC on but a Dolby ATMOS demo disc produced normal results.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I posted in the Genesis thread...New release Genesis v1.3.25.
I'm running an 1120 with firmware 1.4.095.

I do not have the decrease in volume and quality for music with ARC on vs ARC off. I haven't gotten into it too much but I did use a simple phone SPL app to measure a steady 80Hz and 120Hz tone with nearly identical results with ARC on vs ARC off. However, Tidal ATMOS music was glitchy with ARC on but a Dolby ATMOS demo disc produced normal results.
UPDATE
So, for fun, I reloaded my last Genesis 1.3.25 measurements and the behavior of ARC on vs ARC off has gone back to the "old way"... ie for music ARC off sounds louder and more full.

I decided to factory reset my unit and I'll reload my Genesis measurements.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
OK, about to pull my hair out.

I just picked up a used MRX 720 a week ago. Everything has seemed fully operational but today I discovered that I get no sound from any kind of disc with my Oppo BDP-93.

Background:
1. I'm using HDMI out from Oppo (HDMI 1), same audio/video settings on the Oppo I've used for the last 9 years on Denon and Marantz receivers without issue.
2. Only thing I did was to swap HDMI cable from Marantz SR7012 to Anthem MRX.
3. Oppo has latest firmware (2014).
4. Anthem MRX has latest firmware and was factory reset a couple of days ago.
5. Input on MRX is set to HDMI for audio.

Here are the observations I've made and troubleshooting I have done so far:
1. There is video, both from the Oppo's internal display as well as video from the disc itself.
2. Indeed, the MRX 720 shows video signal but "No Signal" from audio -- with either CD, SACD, or BD discs.
3. I have swapped HDMI inputs on the MRX to every other input, including those working 100% with other devices.
4. I have swapped 3 different HDMI cables, including with those working 100% with other devices.
5. I set my Marantz SR7012 back up, plugged in the Oppo and immediately got sound.

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support, you may need a firmware update to allow the 93 to work with a newer AVR which supports 4K HDMI formats.

Use the email us link on the oppodigital support page for the player.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
@rynberg, you've probably already checked but just in case... All HDMI cables need to be certified high speed (cheap at Monoprice). Anthem gear is really cranky about that. But given all of your tests, perhaps what Bob recommended will be the most productive path.

Reactions: rynberg

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Get in touch with OPPO Tech Support, you may need a firmware update to allow the 93 to work with a newer AVR which supports 4K HDMI formats.

--Bob
i had same issue with BDP-93, with OPPO FW update BDP93 works fine now.

Reactions: rynberg and Bill-99

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts

--Bob
@rynberg, you've probably already checked but just in case... All HDMI cables need to be certified high speed (cheap at Monoprice). Anthem gear is really cranky about that. But given all of your tests, perhaps what Bob recommended will be the most productive path.
i had same issue with BDP-93, with OPPO FW update BDP93 works fine now.
Thank you! I found a link to the Oppo unlisted firmware in the Oppo owner's thread and that did indeed solve the problem. I have a few thoughts about this issue:

1. I was already using a newer 4K receiver than the Anthem (Marantz SR7012), and the Oppo worked perfectly with the "official" firmware. Based on this issue, along with a few others I've noted in the last week, the HDMI chipset in the D&M products seems to be a bit more robust than in the Anthem.
2. It's very strange that the Oppo apparently needs a relatively recent firmware update to work with SOME 4K receivers, but this is hidden from customers. Why not just make this the official firmware listed on the support page, which would have solved this whole issue for me in less than 5 minutes?
3. HDMI continues to prove that it is the devil. Man I miss component video (other than the garden hose cabling required) - worked every time with no fuss, and over long distances.

Anyway, thanks again!

·
Registered
514 Posts
HDMI continues to prove that it is the devil.
Oh, you aren't kidding. Of course, despite the marketing, it was never designed for consumer convenience. It was purely about DRM and bugger the user experience.

Reactions: rynberg

·
Read the FAQ!
35,739 Posts
. . . .
2. It's very strange that the Oppo apparently needs a relatively recent firmware update to work with SOME 4K receivers, but this is hidden from customers. Why not just make this the official firmware listed on the support page, which would have solved this whole issue for me in less than 5 minutes?
. . . .

Anyway, thanks again!
OPPO was not in a position to complete enough testing to convince themselves the new, limited distribution, BETA firmware you are now using would not cause other problems when paired with older AVRs. The firmware you are using should only be used if the Official firmware doesn't happen to work with your newer AVR. Thus, no general release (and why it is recommended you ASK OPPO before deciding to install it on your own -- e.g., to see if they have any history on file regarding the AVR giving you grief.)

That said -- glad it worked for you!
--Bob

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
OPPO was not in a position to complete enough testing to convince themselves the new, limited distribution, BETA firmware you are now using would not cause other problems when paired with older AVRs. The firmware you are using should only be used if the Official firmware doesn't happen to work with your newer AVR. Thus, no general release (and why it is recommended you ASK OPPO before deciding to install it on your own -- e.g., to see if they have any history on file regarding the AVR giving you grief.)

That said -- glad it worked for you!
--Bob
Bob, thanks for the explanation. I still feel that Oppo should at least mention on their support page the existence of this issue.

Also strange that the old firmware worked perfectly on my newer Marantz, but obviously D&M has a much larger engineering department to achieve better compatibility with more devices.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was wondering if anyone is having issues with Dolby Vision and/or HDR pass through when using the MRX1120 with Apple TV? If I plug the Apple TV directly into my TV everything works perfect but when i attempt to pass the signal through my receiver it will only do 4k SDR.

·
Registered
12,742 Posts
I've got an MRX720 and both DV and HDR10 work fine.

When you connected directly to your TV which HDMI cable did you use?

The one that was going from the AVR to the TV or the one that was going to from the ATV to the AVR?

I suspect one of those cables is not up to snuff.

As far as I know there are no special HDR settings in the Anthem.

(I assume you have updated the Anthem firmware. When our models were introduced the firmware did not support all the HDR formats. So a few updates have been necessary.)

11201 - 11220 of 11259 Posts