AVS Forum banner

1661 - 1680 of 1771 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I would really appreciated that, yes. Thanks you.
Ok.. here you guys go.. If you want airy lively sound doing full 20-20k correction..

In arc, set room gain to 0

use the tilt option and choose +1.0db
set frequency to 2k

for each channel, choose rolloff 7.9 and have full 20k correction.

I set my crossovers to 80hz, but choose what you like..

From this, you can add a room gain if needed

But 0 room gain gives smooth and tight non bloated bass.

Hope this helps someone..
It made a huge difference in my avm70 and my buddies mrx1140

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok.. here you guys go.. If you want airy lively sound doing full 20-20k correction..

set frequency to 2k

Thank you. I will give it a shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

just got my MRX540. ARC won't work properly as it sets everything at +9 to +11, and I just don't feel like using it. I only have a 2.1 system, I guess I'll wait for them to realise that the solution is simply setting a higher sensitivity on the mic, which will also result in better measurements. I do my own settings, I'm an engineer and use very linear speakers. Hardware-wise, this thing sounds really good.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Hi all,

just got my MRX540. ARC won't work properly as it sets everything at +9 to +11, and I just don't feel like using it. I only have a 2.1 system, I guess I'll wait for them to realise that the solution is simply setting a higher sensitivity on the mic, which will also result in better measurements. I do my own settings, I'm an engineer and use very linear speakers. Hardware-wise, this thing sounds really good.
I found ARC on my system and my buddies turn SPL levels +10db too high..

Just reduce all channels by - 10db to get proper levels.. In Anthem setup menus.. After ARC was uploaded.

At least safer levels.

·
Registered
13 Posts
  • So I just received my MRX1140 and a few quick observations after setting it up.

Out of box
  • The build of this thing is solid and aesthetically a nice receiver to look at. Compared to the Denon 4700, it weighs quite a bit more.
  • Love the white font on the front display.
  • I read on here some of you complaining about the WebUI, but I find it very intuitive and laid out very well.
  • Speaker connectors are very good quality
  • First time turning it on, it immediately ran a firmware update
ARC setup

• The quality of the mic and the stand it comes with is top notch.
  • Unlike the Denon, you have to tell it what your setup is. Fair straightforward but one thing I noticed is in my 7.1.4 setup, my rear speakers cannot be set on their own. It wants you to select surrounds as well. I had my rears connected to the receiver to the rear plugs but ARC would no let me just select them. I therefore connected them to the surround connections and it was fine. Any thoughts on this? I also have front in-ceiling and rear in-ceiling but setting assigning the height each set to height 1 and 2 was fine.
  • After ARC completed all 5 stages, I uploaded the configuration and saved the file. No issues.
    • Upon review of the setup, I noticed it had all of my speakers set to 12db with the exception of the sub and the in-ceiling. I manually changed that for each before testing the setup. I also noticed during the setup it wanted me to increase the volume on the sub.
  • Listening and watching a few movies (Man of Steel, Justice League, Lord of the Rings), the sound is very accurate a sharp. Definitely prefer this over the Denon. No issues so far with the processing formats and it decoding Dolby Atmos, HDR, etc. just fine. Still need to tinker a bit more but so far no problems.
Additional observations

• As some of you have indicated, the fan noise is pretty loud. It came on a few times for a couple of minutes and is really noticeable. No other receiver I have owned in the past ever had this sort of issue. Hoping this can be addressed in some way down the road especially since the receiver did not seem hot whatsoever.
  • The remote it comes with is pretty basic. I guess the assumption here is that most will use a universal or automation setup within their theaters.
  • Streaming music: You have to first set it to streaming before playing your music. It has no autosense which I always liked in a receiver. Not a deal breaker but a nice to have for sure
That is all for now. I will continue to test and tweak this puppy but so far the pros outweigh the cons.

Cheers
Shawn
Thanks for your first impressions. Can you give some more details on the streaming part?
How it works with airplay and chromecast? So if it is in stand by, can you just stream from your phone and wake up the receiver? And you said it does not have auto sense. That means when you use I.e. Spotify from your phone and choose the MRX as the output device, you also have to go and select “streaming” as a source?? A bit frustrating I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for your first impressions. Can you give some more details on the streaming part?
How it works with airplay and chromecast? So if it is in stand by, can you just stream from your phone and wake up the receiver? And you said it does not have auto sense. That means when you use I.e. Spotify from your phone and choose the MRX as the output device, you also have to go and select “streaming” as a source?? A bit frustrating I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My MRX540 wakes up with any input, I never had to select any source manually, unless I am currently using one and I want to switch. Make sure CEC controls are switched on in the web interface, under "general setup", as they are off by default.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found ARC on my system and my buddies turn SPL levels +10db too high..

Just reduce all channels by - 10db to get proper levels.. In Anthem setup menus.. After ARC was uploaded.

At least safer levels.
Although I feel like that's probably the solution, it was the first thing I tried but the actual response at different signal levels of the speakers might not be the same, thereby messing up with the intended target curve. I might be mistaken, but since I cannot see how ARC Genesis is coded, I'm going to run safe. By ear, in my 2.1 I don't think I like the result anyways, and I use it only for bass integration, which works really well, except for the fact that there is too much bass for my taste.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My MRX540 wakes up with any input, I never had to select any source manually, unless I am currently using one and I want to switch. Make sure CEC controls are switched on in the web interface, under "general setup", as they are off by default.
Good to know. I did not get a chance to test this yet since I went in to turn that on but will keep you and 'nicoven' posted.

·
Registered
162 Posts

set frequency to 2k

Thank you for your recommendations! I'm going to try these today. Just wondering, but isn't the general recommendation to only correct up to 350-500hz? As well, can you please explain what 'tilt' does?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thank you for your recommendations! I'm going to try these today. Just wondering, but isn't the general recommendation to only correct up to 350-500hz? As well, can you please explain what 'tilt' does?
tilt allows you choose a frequency in which you want to tilt the correction curve.

So let's say you choose 2khz to start a tilt..and choose a positive dB number to tilt.
the correction ARC calculations will be flat until you get to the starting tilt frequency. Then it will slope the curve of correction up to the dB number you choose at 20khz..

Kinda like a manual eq. you set all eq sliders to 0 until where you want to start to increase the eq or decrease. and slowly slope up or down the eq..

Some rooms and or speakers. may need or benefit from eq to 20khz.

If your room is dead sounding, for example, you may loose crisp sound. If room is to height, you. may want to reduce treble etc.

Some people just like play and see what happens.

Mine and my buddies rooms liked the slow treble increase ending with a nice roll off. Gave more life to final Sound.

·
Registered
162 Posts
tilt allows you choose a frequency in which you want to tilt the correction curve.

So let's say you choose 2khz to start a tilt..and choose a positive dB number to tilt.
the correction ARC calculations will be flat until you get to the starting tilt frequency. Then it will slope the curve of correction up to the dB number you choose at 20khz..

Kinda like a manual eq. you set all eq sliders to 0 until where you want to start to increase the eq or decrease. and slowly slope up or down the eq..

Some rooms and or speakers. may need or benefit from eq to 20khz.

If your room is dead sounding, for example, you may loose crisp sound. If room is to height, you. may want to reduce treble etc.

Some people just like play and see what happens.

Mine and my buddies rooms liked the slow treble increase ending with a nice roll off. Gave more life to final Sound.
Thanks for the reply! Your posts led me to the Advanced Settings pages at Anthem and, boy oh boy, what an eye opener. I have a lot to learn/experiment with before I can say I've gotten the best out of my 1140 & ARC.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Your posts led me to the Advanced Settings pages at Anthem and, boy oh boy, what an eye opener. I have a lot to learn/experiment with before I can say I've gotten the best out of my 1140 & ARC.
Have fun That is what is cool about this hobby.. Playing, listening, tweaking, and repeat.. lol

The cool thing is you save your project and upload to anthrm anytime.. So you can't really mess anything up.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hi all. I am looking to buy the MRX 1140 and I don't see many reviews out there yet. You all seem to be in the know.

Are people generally happy with this product? Well-built, quality, etc.? Or does it have known problems already?

·
Registered
Sony A8F OLED, Monolith HTP-1, Paradigm Studio 60 v4, Paradigm CC-590, Elemental Designs A2-300
81 Posts
Hi all. I am looking to buy the MRX 1140 and I don't see many reviews out there yet. You all seem to be in the know.

Are people generally happy with this product? Well-built, quality, etc.? Or does it have known problems already?
You will probably get a lot of different opinions on this. This is my two cents. I upgraded from the Pioneer SC-05 to the MRX 740. The new MRX line was originally suppose to be released in December. The new models were delayed until the end of January. I got mine during the first week of February, Supplies are still very hard to find. I found the build quality to be good and I liked the look of the unit. There appears to be several bugs, but many of the new AVRs seem to have a lot of bugs during launch. When the MRX and AMV lines were first launched they were required to run ARC Genesis Beta. ARC Beta was causing most of the units to yield very high trim levels. Some people reported there units trim levels were +12 after running ARC. The cause of this problem is the calibration of new microphones. It appears that there is at least a 10db issue with the calibration.

Several weeks later Anthem announced that the new models can use the non beta version. The non-beta version only slightly improved the microphone calibration issue by about 3dbs.
Other issues that others and myself have had is eARC and streaming connectively issues. eARC would occasionally have no sound. My other issue was with streaming (chromecast) I had a hard time reconnecting to the AVR after streaming Pandora and switching to another streaming app or back to Pandora.

I though the Anthem sound quality was a step up from my Pioneer in most aspects. The Anthem had much more bass compared to my Pioneer and integrated my subwoofer a lot better. However, my Pioneer had sweeter highs. I missed those sweet highs. I few people have recommended a few tweaks, but unfortunately that didn't work with my setup. The one major improvement that the Anthem offered over the Pioneer was the surround sound during movies. The Anthem just made my surrounds come alive. It filled whole room with sound.

I purchased my AVR through Crutchfield which has a generous 60 day return policy. I told myself that I would give Anthem time to fix my two biggest issues, the microphone calibration and eARC. Well two months later there were still no fixes so I returned the unit.

My take away. The new units launched by Anthem are not fully baked. IMO, I don't think that this product should have been release with ARC Genesis in beta and the microphone not properly calibrated. ARC Genesis is Anthems number one feature. I can't understand how a company can release a product without their number one feature not working properly. As stated earlier this product was suppose to be released in December it is now April, 4 months later. I realize that we are in the middle of a pandemic, however I don't have a lot of faith that these issues will be fixed anytime soon. I would only recommend buying the unit if you have a generous, no hassle return policy or wait until their room correction (ARC) is working properly.

My next adventure will be with the Monolith HPT-1. I have always heard that separates sound better. I hope it is worth the additional cost.

·
Registered
110 Posts
question for those of you with a 540. After looking at the manual, and comparing to various advertising text, I am still uncertain if the 540 can do amp matrixing. In particular, can I route the front channels to an external amp and re-assign LR to Height. If not .. what are people doing for 5.1.2 ... all channels to external amp?

Sorry if this has already been rehashed to death, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Tks

·
Registered
5 Posts
question for those of you with a 540. After looking at the manual, and comparing to various advertising text, I am still uncertain if the 540 can do amp matrixing. In particular, can I route the front channels to an external amp and re-assign LR to Height. If not .. what are people doing for 5.1.2 ... all channels to external amp?

Sorry if this has already been rehashed to death, but I couldn't find a definitive answer. Tks
My MRX540 most definitely does not support amp matrixing, no zone 2, no bi-amping etc... The buttons on the remote that concern zone 2 are all dead as well :). The setup menus do not include the options as you can see in some screenshots, even in its own user manual. Height channels go through line outs, if I remember correctly. And I also did not know prior to buying, due to the extremely unclear communication from the company.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Not going to repeat the magnificent reply by Dave a couple posts above, but my personal recommendation would be to at least wait a bit. The product feels beta. It was delivered with such a buggy alpha firmware that it took me a day to even connect it and update it to the latest release, which is decent tbh.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice post Dave. Here's my 2 cents. Fortunately I have never had to use eARC. My HT uses 4K projection. Perhaps, I am one of the lucky few (or many?) who is satisfied with the latest ARC Genesis release. With the pandemic, being a Beatle fan all my life and after reading about the Abbey Road Dolby Atmos release, I knew I had to upgrade my HT to support ATMOS and improve my 2 CH experience. I had acoustic challenges with my Denon 2310ci that Audyssey couldn't correct. ARC opened up my sound stage and Abbey Road in Dolby Atmos was truly an amazing experience. Here are my results before and after:

Note: With v1.3.25, ARC detected the subwoofer gain was too high by 3db - so I adjusted it down. Hence, ARC countered my change by increasing the SUB by 1.5 db. V1.3.19 did not detect this all.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I ordered this unit in December and reached out to the local dealer today who put the order in. I thought he got it two months ago and was holding onto it for me but he said he hasn't even gotten it yet! Are they now holding onto these units?

1661 - 1680 of 1771 Posts