AVS Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1816 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Got the 740 and still trying to figure out the best way to connect the speakers. I’m trying to do a 5.1.2 setup with the atmos speakers being in ceiling speakers and my surrounds being mounted to the back wall... my installer has the in ceiling speakers connected into the surround port in the back on the anthem and the back speakers connected to the rear port on the back of the anthem.. was this correct? I was trying to find where I can assign the surround speakers as my in ceiling speakers but haven’t found out how to do that.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey all, I've owned an 1140 for the past 6 weeks and curious for those who have decided they've had enough and returned the unit, what they've decided to replace it with?

I've been having several software/ARC issues, weak bass output in general, as well as intermittent problems streaming.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
@danzaman many of the new mid/high-end units seem to have growing pains this year. If it's too much to wait for a firmware fix or find the issue in your chain of components then take a look at last years mrx1120 or monolith htp-1, which has dirac. Other than the new dlbc implementation, the monolith is pretty established and has a good reputation here on the forum. The arcam avr10/20 and 30 are brand new and have dirac as well. Not sure on bugs/issues though?

If you want plug and play the new denon x6700 and x8500 measure very well over on asr. They do have audyssey xt32, if that is a deal breaker?

I own nothing high end, just some food for thought!

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Got the 740 and still trying to figure out the best way to connect the speakers. I’m trying to do a 5.1.2 setup with the atmos speakers being in ceiling speakers and my surrounds being mounted to the back wall... my installer has the in ceiling speakers connected into the surround port in the back on the anthem and the back speakers connected to the rear port on the back of the anthem.. was this correct? I was trying to find where I can assign the surround speakers as my in ceiling speakers but haven’t found out how to do that.
Fire your installer immediately and get your money back. If you are trying to do 5.1.2 Atmos, the in-ceiling should be connected to height and the "back wall" speakers to the surround (NOT rear surround/backs).

Reactions: Fernane and madrac

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Hey all, I've owned an 1140 for the past 6 weeks and curious for those who have decided they've had enough and returned the unit, what they've decided to replace it with?

I've been having several software/ARC issues, weak bass output in general, as well as intermittent problems streaming.
Pick up a used 1120 if you want to maintain ARC and virtual input scheme? I'm using a used 720 right now just for these reasons.

Reactions: eriksells916

·
Registered
207 Posts
Fire your installer immediately and get your money back. If you are trying to do 5.1.2 Atmos, the in-ceiling should be connected to height and the "back wall" speakers to the surround (NOT rear surround/backs).
The installer was primarily hired to install the speakers on the back wall and install the in-ceiling speakers and run the wires. He told me he wasn’t familiar with anthem or systems in this price range... another stupid question the connection for the heights on the back of the anthem aren’t speaker wire connections, so how do I connect them?

edit to add the in-ceiling speakers are Polk rc80is.. do these have the right connections to connect to the anthem?

the 1140 has height terminals to connect speaker wire but not the 740.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
@adam320 yes, the Polks should use regular speaker wire to connect to speaker terminals on the anthem. Can't you reassign one of the back amps to height (the manual isn't 100% clear but the way I read it, is that you should be able to)?

·
Registered
620 Posts
The installer was primarily hired to install the speakers on the back wall and install the in-ceiling speakers and run the wires. He told me he wasn’t familiar with anthem or systems in this price range... another stupid question the connection for the heights on the back of the anthem aren’t speaker wire connections, so how do I connect them?

edit to add the in-ceiling speakers are Polk rc80is.. do these have the right connections to connect to the anthem?

the 1140 has height terminals to connect speaker wire but not the 740.
The 740 and 1140 have amp matrixing, so you can reassign the back speaker terminals to heights in the web gui. The RCA connectors that are labelled “height 1“ and “height 2“ are if you want an external amp... and you’ll need an external amp if you want x.x.4 atmos.

edit: I had another look at the manual and its not clear on how the terminals can be matrixed. The manual only uses the 1140 as an example. I’d suggest you open up the web gui and determine what the unit allows.

The matrix option is under “speakers“ and “3d sound”

5E2BFD24-BD8D-4F24-A855-8E6DD15EF0C0.jpeg

Reactions: VooBass

·
Registered
207 Posts
@adam320 yes, the Polks should use regular speaker wire to connect to speaker terminals on the anthem. Can't you reassign one of the back amps to height (the manual isn't 100% clear but the way I read it, is that you should be able to)?
the installer has the in-ceiling connected to the surrounds and I’ve tried reassigning those but it didn’t let me. Maybe you can’t reassign surrounds but it will let me reassign the backs? I’ll try that later.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The 740 and 1140 have amp matrixing, so you can reassign the back speaker terminals to heights in the web gui. The RCA connectors that are labelled “height 1“ and “height 2“ are if you want an external amp... and you’ll need an external amp if you want x.x.4 atmos.
thanks for confirming. to clarify for Adam, the x.x.4 atmos external amp is for the 740 as the 1140 has the extra amps.

Reactions: JonnyVee

·
Registered
207 Posts
thanks for confirming. to clarify for Adam, the x.x.4 atmos external amp is for the 740 as the 1140 has the extra amps.
thanks guys. Something clicked when Jonny said reassign the back channels. I was trying to reassign the surround channels since that is where the ceiling speakers are currently connected to but that didn’t work. So I’m thinking if I switch them it’ll let me reassign.

·
Registered
620 Posts
thanks guys. Something clicked when Jonny said reassign the back channels. I was trying to reassign the surround channels since that is where the ceiling speakers are currently connected to but that didn’t work. So I’m thinking if I switch them it’ll let me reassign.
Let us know how it goes. The options for the 1140 are below. Hopefully you have something similar.

753DF964-8146-4C80-800A-7699F494CBD3.jpeg

·
Registered
164 Posts
And that's the million dollar question. Sure, there are excellent solutions like some separates but they are many times more expensive and even more complicated to set up. The Arcams may sound even better but they are even buggier and more complicated and way more expensive. The NAD is just as buggy, more complicated, and more expensive, too.
That leaves the Japanese lines (Marantz, Denon, etc). The Denon AVC-A110 is interesting but waaay more expensive, hard to get, and some people are having problems with those, too. If I moved from my 1140 to the Denon I would always wonder if what I was hearing could have been just a little bit better if I could have lived with the 1140's 'personality'.
Everything considered, the most likely replacements would be either the A110 or the Monolith HTP-1 + 11 channels of high quality amplification.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a very similar configuration (740 in 4.1.2 in-ceiling).

Physical connections:
  • Surrounds to SURR R/L
  • Heights to BACK R/L

Configuration:
  • Speakers > 3D Sound > Height 1 set to In-Ceiling
  • Speakers > Amp Matrixing > Front set to Front; Surround set to Surround; Back set Height 1

Enjoy!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a very similar configuration (740 in 4.1.2 in-ceiling).

Physical connections:
  • Surrounds to SURR R/L
  • Heights to BACK R/L

Configuration:
  • Speakers > 3D Sound > Height 1 set to In-Ceiling
  • Speakers > Amp Matrixing > Front set to Front; Surround set to Surround; Back set Height 1

Enjoy!
Thanks! Looking forward to trying this when I get home later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same problem here. Horrible fan noise AFTER firmware update.

I didn't notice the fan noise at all the first week, not until after the updates last week. It could be I had been playing things too loud to notice (I'm about 12' away from the MRX) but possibly they messed with the fan control settings in the update?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
164 Posts
Same problem here. Horrible fan noise AFTER firmware update.
I read quite a few posts about the fan noise but have never heard the fan come on, ever. My 1140 is totally unenclosed and virtually silent. On the other hand, I'm finally getting the sound dialed in where I like it and we watched a 4k blockbuster last night at rather loud levels and afterwards the temperature in the room was definitely higher than normal by a couple of degrees according to my phone app. No fan noise, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi All..

Anyone with a Roon subscription know if the New MRX's are working with Roon? I know the website shows "coming soon", perhaps they haven't gotten around to updating their site yet. I have a free 2 month subscription waiting to use, but don't want to signup until it's working on my MRX 740. Just itching to start using it since the MRX doesn't support DNLA.

I've heard some fan noise, but my music is drowning it out. Perhaps they'll address it with an update soon.

It's an upgrade from my Marantz SR5011, the mids are much more prominent on my Prestige 75f's now.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi All..

Anyone with a Roon subscription know if the New MRX's are working with Roon? I know the website shows "coming soon", perhaps they haven't gotten around to updating their site yet. I have a free 2 month subscription waiting to use, but don't want to signup until it's working on my MRX 740. Just itching to start using it since the MRX doesn't support DNLA.

I've heard some fan noise, but my music is drowning it out. Perhaps they'll address it with an update soon.

It's an upgrade from my Marantz SR5011, the mids are much more prominent on my Prestige 75f's now.
Not Roon ready as of yet. I would believe Roon is months away.

1681 - 1700 of 1816 Posts