AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR696
6 Posts
I also use the Android app. The issue I'm talking about is when listening mode is set to Stereo, then you can use the Stereo Assign feature to send audio to a specific pair of speakers.

If I choose Front, subwoofer works normally. If I choose Sorround, subwoofer does not works.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Not sure, I know my sub definitely works when sending music to all speakers. I just checked and I'm in Surround listen to music as I type this. There is a firmware update from I think August, not sure that matters, but might want to update your firmware if you haven't TX-NR696 | Onkyo USA click on Docs menu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stereo Assign Mode - Subwoofer works only with front speakers

Hello,

I just replaced my old HT-R690 with a TX-NR696. Really happy about the upgrade! Now I have TIDAL and Chromecast buil-in (used to have 1st gen Chromecast in the old receiver).

My speaker configuration is 5.1 (2 Polk Audio T15 as Front speakers, and the original HT-S7400 Onkyo speakers for center, sorround and SW).

A feature I really like is the ability to send stereo audio to front or sorround speakers, but for some reason (I don't know if this is by design) when I choose Stereo Assign to Sorround speakers the subwoofer stops working.

I already tried changing the Crossover settings "Front = 40 Hz" (Polk Audio specs for that model). I also tried "Front = Full Band" and "Double Bass = On", but whenever I set "Stereo Assign = Sorrund" the subwoofer simply stops working. Once I set "Stereo Assign = Front", SW is back again.

Is there any setting I might be missing?
Same here. No solution. New firmware doesn't help.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR696
6 Posts
Anyone else having the "NOW INITIALIZING..." issue with this model?

Yesterday, for the second time last week, when I tried to use TIDAL I got that message on the LCD screen. I turned on the TV to see what was going on and I just got something like "Wait a moment..." but no way to get any of the on-screen menus.

I had to reboot the receiver by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Im interested in this Avr - the virtual atmos seems intriguing- but the reviews here are sketchy ?

is everyone happy ? Can I play 2.1 easily ? For music - how does music sound vs movies ?

thx

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR696
6 Posts
is everyone happy ? Can I play 2.1 easily ? For music - how does music sound vs movies ?
I'm happy with the receiver. (BTW: The problem with the 'NOW INITIALIZING' message was related with my network setup, and not with the receiver).

I regularly use it for listening music, both from my CD player and the built-in TIDAL client. The sound is great!

You can use it in 2.1 mode, using only your front and SW speakers or use the "All Channel Stereo" mode, where Left Channel is sent to front left and sorround left, and Right Channel is sent to front right and sorround right.

One interesting feature is a 9-band equalizer that can be set up individually for each speaker.

Reactions: MeanMachine

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I've been very happy with mine going on about 8 months of ownership...I use mine for both music and movies.

When it comes to forums you have to be a little careful in judging something from forum comments...most of the time people come here with problems and not to write about how happy they are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question for other owners. Is it possible to watch video from one source (eg PC), while listening to 'NET' source music?

Haven't figured out a way.

Thanks!
Philip

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks....total novice. Great info on here but I have a question remaining after Google searches & searching this forum.

1) is the remote that comes with this receiver programmable? I don't see any instructions to do so.

2) I have to have the volume at like 50+ to hear regardless of input device. Below 25 is basically silent. Is that normal?

Non ARC TV so I'm using hdmi & optical cables.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Onkyo TX-NR696 with all the speakers including height speakers. They are set up correctly and they all work. I have been unable to play any content that uses the height speakers. I have content from a Roku Ultra 2020 that says Dolby Atmos on the Onkyo Screen, but no sound is coming from the height speakers. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hi folks....total novice. Great info on here but I have a question remaining after Google searches & searching this forum.

1) is the remote that comes with this receiver programmable? I don't see any instructions to do so.

2) I have to have the volume at like 50+ to hear regardless of input device. Below 25 is basically silent. Is that normal?

Thanks all!
The remote is not programmable.

For me it's below 15 and I barely hear anything. Confirm your speaker impedance, if they are between 4 and 6 ohms, you need set the stereo up for 4 ohms. Otherwise something does seem odd to me, 50 is pretty high to get sound unless you have inefficient speakers.

And is this problem on all sources or just with your TV? If the latter sometimes volume levels through the optical cable needs to be set on your TV as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The remote is not programmable.

For me it's below 15 and I barely hear anything. Confirm your speaker impedance, if they are between 4 and 6 ohms, you need set the stereo up for 4 ohms. Otherwise something does seem odd to me, 50 is pretty high to get sound unless you have inefficient speakers.

And is this problem on all sources or just with your TV? If the latter sometimes volume levels through the optical cable needs to be set on your TV as well.
Thanks!

I have "Energy" speakers that are 8 ohm on a 5.1 setup. Tested it tonight and it's TV audio as well as using the NET function. I checked the setup too and it looked correct, but plan to re-connect the speakers tomorrow just in case. I'm going to try and re do initial setup as well. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought TX-NR696 last week and I have been happy so far. I am using Pioneer center, Polk towers, Polk sub-woofer and energy surround/surround back in 7.1 configuration.

The sound is well balanced and sweet to my ears.

Interestingly the price of this receiver gone up since last week. Seems this is in demand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought TX-NR696 last week and I have been happy so far. I am using Pioneer center, Polk towers, Polk sub-woofer and energy surround/surround back in 7.1 configuration.

The sound is well balanced and sweet to my ears.

Interestingly the price of this receiver gone up since last week. Seems this is in demand.
It's been going up from when I bought mine in April.. was 400euro.. its definitely a bargain for the included features/specs with even front preouts if you got the European model.. I think that since Onkyo was sold all manufacturing was on hold..

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts

Thanks all!
I have a fire tv 4k and volume normalizer was causing that effect. Check if you have any audio settings on the roku.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’ve been very happy with this receiver, it’s been great for the past year. I am surprised it never received an earc update but as time passes i don’t think is going to happen. I should’ve picked up the older model with earc instead..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi all, looking at this receiver to replace my non-4k Denon as I move to a 4k UST projector setup. I'm curious if the silver version is available in the U.S. or is it a Europe/Asia thing only? I have not seen it available at the U.S. retailers I've checked, but then again many of them are out of stock entirely. I'm kinda tired of the Black Everything vibe and kinda have some lust for the silver look of 70s hifi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just replaced my old Onkyo SR606 receiver with the Onkyo TX-NR696 to go with my recently purchased 4K player and and 4K TV. (both Sony) The new 4K TV and 4K player seemed to be putting out less volume compared to my previous 1080P TV and PS3 Blu ray player but with the new receiver its even worse. You have to turn the volume up to a much higher level (absolute volume) to get a decent loudness on the new one.

I've gone through the settings on the TV and the player, got the new high speed HDMI cables, I'm using the ARC connections on receiver and TV, used the receiver's calibration mic and still can't get no satisfaction.

I thought 4K with Dolby Atmos etc would be more powerful and louder, similar to the jump from DVD to Blu ray? (with Blu ray, I found it has more natural loudness than DVD so you wouldn't have to turn the volume up as high with a blu ray compared to a DVD)

The new receiver volume scale goes from 0 to 99, but I don't get decent volume until 60, on the previous model I could get it at 24-32 and that scale was 0 to 70. So the new one requires being turned up to a higher percentage of its max volume to get the same loudness.It definitely doesn't have less power according to the specs. Also, there is no real difference with the new one between 20 and 30 or even 30 and 40,(on the old one there would be a quite noticeable difference) but you start to see a bigger difference between 50 and 60 as well as 60 and 70.It just doesn't seem like its 'amplifying' at all on these numbers.

Is this just the way this receiver is scaled with its volume? Am I missing some sort of setting? Would the fix be as simple as turning up the calibration setting for each speaker (although that would screw up the mic calibration and the distribution/balance between speakers)

Any ideas welcome.

101 - 120 of 161 Posts