AVS Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Volume values are meaningless. Just because 66 works for you doesn't mean someone else finds 23 too loud, while someone else might find 50 barely audible. And someone might be wondering what engineer decided to make it -7592.138

It's just a number. Even when they use dB as the scale, it means little if you use it at -22.5 while someone else can't turn it higher than -43.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Volume values are meaningless. Just because 66 works for you doesn't mean someone else finds 23 too loud, while someone else might find 50 barely audible. And someone might be wondering what engineer decided to make it -7592.138

It's just a number. Even when they use dB as the scale, it means little if you use it at -22.5 while someone else can't turn it higher than -43.
So the new receiver is just scaled differently from the old one? What about the fact that the 4K player and TV even when connected to the old receiver resulted in lower volume than the 1080P TV and PS3? I figured there must be something I've missed?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi, I haven’t searched this thread so sorry, if these were already asked.

I just bought this receiver, upgrading from a HT-S5300 from 2010. The first thing I noticed is that the front and center speakers are much quieter than with my old receiver. I had to turn the volume up a lot to get them about the same as they were previously. When I did that though the subwoofer was deafening. I noticed that the EQ setup set the front and center speaker loudness at -2 and the subwoofer at +7. I tried to manually adjust that, but the level calibration blasts out deafening noise from all speakers without a way to lower the volume, so the level adjustment screen is pointless.

1. How accurate is the AccuEQ thing? I’ve run it multiple times and it always picks the same levels, but the distances change slightly. Also the front crossover changed from 150 to 200 Hz. All my speakers are the same as they came with the S5300, yet it picked three different values: 200 (front), 120 (back height) and 150 (surround). It also picked 90 Hz for center, even though that’s a much larger speaker. What does crossover do anyway?

edit: I found a post I made that listed the speaker frequencies for the HT-S5300 (fronts: 55 Hz - 50 kHz, center: 65 Hz - 50 Khz, backs/surrounds: 80 Hz - 20 kHz, sub: 25 Hz to 150 Hz) and based on that it seems like AccuEQ picked the wrong crossover frequencies. Am I right?

2. Is there a way to set a volume per input or at least by input type (I.e. stereo vs 5.1 vs Atmos)? Some of my inputs are much louder than others. Edit: I found the “My Input Volume” which does this by input, but not by audio type.

3. The manual says Airplay2 is supported, but it doesn’t really seem to be. Not the way HomePod, Apple TV and Roku are. Those devices can play music separate from my iPhone (I.e. I can play one song on my iPhone and another on the Roku). This receiver can only play what’s playing on the iPhone, though I can add other devices to the group. Is that all this supports?

4. If the input is Dolby Atmos and I set the receiver to Direct mode, will it still “do” Dolby Atmos or does the mode needs to be set to “Dolby Atmos”. I found Direct to sound better on my HT-S5300. Is it okay to use that on this model?

Thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I just bought the Onkyo 696 over the holidays as it was on sale, plus I've read it was a top rated performer. Anyway, everything is great with the receiver except the dialog is always so low that its hard to make out what they are saying. There are not any options like on my previous Denon S930H to make the dialog louder unless I'm missing something. I have to turn it up really loud to hear the dialog clearly, but then the actions scenes, music, etc, are very very loud, to loud. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
So I just bought the Onkyo 696 over the holidays as it was on sale, plus I've read it was a top rated performer. Anyway, everything is great with the receiver except the dialog is always so low that its hard to make out what they are saying. There are not any options like on my previous Denon S930H to make the dialog louder unless I'm missing something. I have to turn it up really loud to hear the dialog clearly, but then the actions scenes, music, etc, are very very loud, to loud. Any suggestions??
There’s a “voice” balance (voice button on the remote) that goes from 0 to 5. You can turn that up. I believe that’s different from adjusting the center speaker.

·
Registered
295 Posts
There’s a “voice” balance (voice button on the remote) that goes from 0 to 5. You can turn that up. I believe that’s different from adjusting the center speaker.
AHHHH, the Vocal button haha. Thanks You!
Now that I did that though, the dialog is def. louder, but the dialog is coming out of my front Left and Right speakers a lot louder than the center speaker so it sounds weird because of it. Any suggestions on what to do so the dialog comes more from the center speaker instead of the Front L and R Speakers?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think dialog is always supposed to come out of center, unless it's on All stereo, or direct or something different than Dolby
I agree, but the dialog is coming out of the front L and R speakers a lot louder than the center speaker. I can't even hear it out of the center speaker unless I put my ear up to the speaker. Not sure why and how to fix this as I have it in 5.1 Dolby Surround by pushing the movies button on the remote. Even does it in Dolby Atmos 5.1 so any other ideas on how to fix this so the dialog comes out of the center channel only or at least a lot louder than the Front L and R speakers?

On another note, on my previous Denon S930H receiver there was a setting that I could change to play sound from say my Roku Ultra through my surround sound speakers, but have the video on the TV coming from my PS5. I would play a game with no sound, but have music playing through the speakers. I can't seem to find a setting or anything to do this on the Onkyo 696 as when I try to switch just the sound to my Roku, the video also switches over also. Again, I may have just missed it, but any suggestions on how or if this is even possible?

Thanks for all the help and feeback!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree, but the dialog is coming out of the front L and R speakers a lot louder than the center speaker. I can't even hear it out of the center speaker unless I put my ear up to the speaker. Not sure why and how to fix this as I have it in 5.1 Dolby Surround by pushing the movies button on the remote. Even does it in Dolby Atmos 5.1 so any other ideas on how to fix this so the dialog comes out of the center channel only or at least a lot louder than the Front L and R speakers?

On another note, on my previous Denon S930H receiver there was a setting that I could change to play sound from say my Roku Ultra through my surround sound speakers, but have the video on the TV coming from my PS5. I would play a game with no sound, but have music playing through the speakers. I can't seem to find a setting or anything to do this on the Onkyo 696 as when I try to switch just the sound to my Roku, the video also switches over also. Again, I may have just missed it, but any suggestions on how or if this is even possible?

Thanks for all the help and feeback!!
If dialogue is coming out from FL and FR aswell you have got center spread switched on... If your center is low.. just lower ur fronts and increase your centre.. Its more an issue of powering your centre... What speakers do you have and what about resistance?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
If dialogue is coming out from FL and FR aswell you have got center spread switched on... If your center is low.. just lower ur fronts and increase your centre.. Its more an issue of powering your centre... What speakers do you have and what about resistance?

They are Infinity speakers, which I've had for about 15 years. It didn't do this with my Denon receiver though so I'm not sure why the dialog is so low and when I turn up the Vocal on the remote the dialog comes out of the Front L and R speakers as well as the center speaker, but a lot louder from the Front L and R speakers. Dialog doesn't come out of the Front L and R speakers if I have vocal at 0, but I can barely hear the dialog unless you turn the volume up to about 60 to 65, but then the action scenes, music, etc, are extremely loud. So I'm not sure how to fix the dialog without having to ramp up the volume.

The settings are factory default so I'm not sure how or where the center spread even is to switch it on unless its on by default. I've had to go to level collaboration and up the center from 0 to 10 to be able to hear the dialog, but then again, when there are loud scenes it is extremely loud through my center speaker now so IDK what to do haha.

Not sure what you mean by resistance.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Resistance in ohms .. what model of speakers do you have?.. each channel can be set to different resistance.. dont take it for granted that if you're old receiver worked fine this will do the same.. you need to configure per ur setup

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
They are Infinity speakers, which I've had for about 15 years. It didn't do this with my Denon receiver though so I'm not sure why the dialog is so low and when I turn up the Vocal on the remote the dialog comes out of the Front L and R speakers as well as the center speaker, but a lot louder from the Front L and R speakers. Dialog doesn't come out of the Front L and R speakers if I have vocal at 0, but I can barely hear the dialog unless you turn the volume up to about 60 to 65, but then the action scenes, music, etc, are extremely loud. So I'm not sure how to fix the dialog without having to ramp up the volume.

The settings are factory default so I'm not sure how or where the center spread even is to switch it on unless its on by default. I've had to go to level collaboration and up the center from 0 to 10 to be able to hear the dialog, but then again, when there are loud scenes it is extremely loud through my center speaker now so IDK what to do haha.
Hi Hogfan2502, don't believe center spread will work since it adjust the width of sound to front channels. What you're looking for is to enable "Late Night".

Press Quick Menu > Other > Late Night

·
Registered
295 Posts
Resistance in ohms .. what model of speakers do you have?.. each channel can be set to different resistance.. dont take it for granted that if you're old receiver worked fine this will do the same.. you need to configure per ur setup

I bought them from Crutchfield back in 2006. Here is what I could find, hope this helps.

Subwoofer - Infinity PS-12
Surround Speakers - Primus 150 x 2
Center Speaker - Primus C25
Front Speakers - Primus 360 x 2

Thanks for the help and feedback. Let me know what you think I should do if anything.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Hogfan2502, don't believe center spread will work since it adjust the width of sound to front channels. What you're looking for is to enable "Late Night".

Press Quick Menu > Other > Late Night
I noticed under the Quick Menu button on the remote I was able to up the center speaker up to 10 db, which I have it at 5 db. But again, it helps with dialog, but the action scenes, etc, are just way to loud when I do this.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I noticed under the Quick Menu button on the remote I was able to up the center speaker up to 10 db, which I have it at 5 db. But again, it helps with dialog, but the action scenes, etc, are just way to loud when I do this.
Try turning off “AccuEQ” and setting the mode to “direct”, if it sounds better the Accu settings are wrong and you should re-do the speaker setup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought them from Crutchfield back in 2006. Here is what I could find, hope this helps.

Subwoofer - Infinity PS-12
Surround Speakers - Primus 150 x 2
Center Speaker - Primus C25
Front Speakers - Primus 360 x 2

Thanks for the help and feedback. Let me know what you think I should do if anything.
Nice :) all have the same impedance.. check that each speaker output is set 6-8ohm from the avr.. i would increase the center and decrease the surrounds.. use a db meter or db meter app on ur phone and place it in the center.. set all speakers to the same loudness using the tone test.

121 - 140 of 161 Posts