AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
If dialogue is coming out from FL and FR aswell you have got center spread switched on...
This “center spread” function has me intrigued, since I’m battling to figure out a way to incorporate a legitimate sized center channel speaker into an ultra short throw projector setup. Not an easy task. Does center spread provide an acceptable illusion of the dialog coming from center while retaining the correct left/right sense of the surround?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Does anyone know why the info screen for video on this receiver shows the video stream as 24 bit? That seems wrong as the highest video quality I’ve ever heard of is 12 bit. Also the video is always 24 bit no matter the source. Is this just wrong?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any experience connecting this receiver to a Power Amplifier? It has 2 pre-outs for this purpose but they are part of Zone 2. Some Power Amps I've looked at don't appear to have slots on them for these pre-out cables or you need one such cable for each channel? Does that mean with this receiver I'm limited to a 2 channel Power Amp or am I missing something here?
Also this model AVR doesn't have any slot labelled for the 'Trigger output' to turn the Power Amp on at the same time as the AVR?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Has anyone had any experience connecting this receiver to a Power Amplifier? It has 2 pre-outs for this purpose but they are part of Zone 2. Some Power Amps I've looked at don't appear to have slots on them for these pre-out cables or you need one such cable for each channel? Does that mean with this receiver I'm limited to a 2 channel Power Amp or am I missing something here?
Also this model AVR doesn't have any slot labelled for the 'Trigger output' to turn the Power Amp on at the same time as the AVR?
Correct only 2 channel analog audio (basically music) to another amplifier, there is no trigger output.

Per the manual

While performing playback through speakers (ZONE A) connected to the unit, you can enjoy the audio of the same source at the same time with the pre-main amplifier or the transmitter of the wireless headphones connected to the ZONE B LINE OUT jack. Use an analog audio cable to connect the ZONE B LINE OUT jack of this unit and the LINE IN jack of the pre-main amplifier or the transmitter of the wireless headphones. Press the Q button on the remote controller for playback, and select the audio output destination on the Quick menu.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Correct only 2 channel analog audio (basically music) to another amplifier, there is no trigger output.

Per the manual

While performing playback through speakers (ZONE A) connected to the unit, you can enjoy the audio of the same source at the same time with the pre-main amplifier or the transmitter of the wireless headphones connected to the ZONE B LINE OUT jack. Use an analog audio cable to connect the ZONE B LINE OUT jack of this unit and the LINE IN jack of the pre-main amplifier or the transmitter of the wireless headphones. Press the Q button on the remote controller for playback, and select the audio output destination on the Quick menu.
On the European version the preouts can be used as fronts..

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all. I've been having an issue with my Onkyo TX-NR696 for a couple months. It's connected to my Samsung TV via HDMI ARC, the speakers are Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V.

The issue is my receiver shutting on / off repeatedly for a few seconds when I first turn my TV on for the day, then after a few seconds sound starts coming through the speakers and everything is fine. I've been living with it up until two weeks ago when I noticed my subwoofer completely died. I was able to diagnose the dead sub as I went into the menu on my receiver and selected "level calibration", proving all the speakers worked individually except the sub. I of course double checked all my physical connections and made sure my setup was selected correctly (5.1, subwoofer "yes").

At this point I filed a claim for the subwoofer with Bose, I am getting ready to it in for repair. I did have a couple questions before I do.

1. The receiver shutting off / on repeatedly indicates a short somewhere based on my research here on the forums. If I go home and do discover a couple wires touching each other, could that have killed the subwoofer, or are these issues most likely unrelated?
2. Could the shutting on / off issue be caused by my cablebox or built in TV streaming apps being in sleep mode when I first start the TV for the day?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Is the receiver actually shutting on and off or is the audio/video out just turning on and off.

With my Sony, the audio/video will turn on and off several times, if I turn my TV on. From what I can tell the TV and receiver are negotiating where the audio is outputting from as I’ll see the TV say outputting audio on receiver/tv alternate a few times.

My TV would frequently fail to switch audio to my old Onkyo receiver when turning it on, so I assumed this was related as the new receiver seems to detect this and tries the “handshake” again.

My receiver doesn’t actually turn on and off though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the receiver actually shutting on and off or is the audio/video out just turning on and off.

With my Sony, the audio/video will turn on and off several times, if I turn my TV on. From what I can tell the TV and receiver are negotiating where the audio is outputting from as I’ll see the TV say outputting audio on receiver/tv alternate a few times.

My TV would frequently fail to switch audio to my old Onkyo receiver when turning it on, so I assumed this was related as the new receiver seems to detect this and tries the “handshake” again.

My receiver doesn’t actually turn on and off though.
My receiver turns on and off without any sound at all. It will finally stay on if I select a youtube video or cable station. Almost like the receiver isn't sure it should be on at first since there is nothing playing requiring sound.

I spent the evening testing all my wires with a multimeter and re-doing all speaker wiring. Unfortunately I just can't revive the Bose Acoustimass subwoofer still. Almost seems like the receiver going on / off rapidly caused some kind of blown fuse in the sub over time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
So the new receiver is just scaled differently from the old one? What about the fact that the 4K player and TV even when connected to the old receiver resulted in lower volume than the 1080P TV and PS3? I figured there must be something I've missed?
It'll have a different scale. If your old model could switch between absolute and relative volume you could check. On the 696 the level 82 on the 0-99 scale is designated as reference (0 db) which is apparently the db level that most movie soundtracks are mixed to. So at 0 db (or 82 ref) the native soundtrack is neither being throttled or boosted by the amp.

For me the absolute volume of 60-65 is fine for daily viewing. If I pushed this to 82 ref (0 db) I reckon I'd have to make sure the neighbour was out or had unplugged her hearing aid and even then the bass would probably wobble her into action.

On another note, I have a Samsung TV which is connected to the AVR through the one connect box and back to the AVR main arc HDMI input. When I turn on the TV the AVR sparks up and allows me to control the AVR volume using the TV remote, but annoyingly sometimes when I turn on the TV the AVR remains in standby and the TV is unresponsive, even when the AVR is subsequently turned on and set to TV (sound is being outputted through the TV speakers). Unplugging the TV and/or the AVR seems to work (AVR and TV are in sync) but is annoying. This happens intermittently, and I can't recall it doing this when I first set the system up. Any ideas?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’m using the 696 with a Sonos port. Integration has been pretty good so far, but I was wondering if there is a setting to automatically turn off the receiver once you stop playing music from the Sonos app?

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR696
6 Posts
Built-in TIDAL client unfolding MQA?
I've noticed some "MASTER" titles in Tidal are played as 48kHz 24-bits FLAC when using the receiver built-in Tidal client. But my understanding is the built-in client in this model is limited to "HIFI" quality (16-bit 44.1 kHz FLAC), as MQA is supposed to be available only to NS-6170/NS-6130.

So, does the files being played as 48kHz 24-bits FLAC D means the TX-NR696 is doing some MQA decoding? Am I getting somethinn wrong?

For testing purposes I connected a Roku device and used the native Roku TIDAL client and the TIDAL plug-in for PLEX. All music is trasfered from Roku as 16-bit 48 kHz (even titles I'm sure are just 44.1 kHz), but I guess the Roku is simply transcoding or some other HDMI artifact is acting in this case.

Finally, if I use my Android TIDAL client and stream to the Onkyo via Chromecast, I'm getting only HIFI quality (as expected), but the receiver does not show any information about the format being used (is 16-bit PCM 44.1 kHz?).

So, my guess is, the native Onkyo client gives the best quality for TIDAL streaming, but the interface is not as good (e.g. you can't browse album covers).

Other than using an external streaming DAC, what would be the best way to stream TIDAL to this receiver?

What are your thoughts/experiences about this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, I've scanned all posts and cannot seem to find an answer to this issue, which I believe has already been reported. Here is my issue and what I've tried thus far.

Configuration:
LG OLED TV connected via HDMI ARC port to Onkyo 696 HDMI ARC OUT port
Apple TV 4k connected via HDMI to Onkyo BD/DVD HDMI IN port

Settings adjusted on Onkyo:
HDMI Out set to Main + Sub
Hardware -> HDMI CEC set to on, HDMI Thur set to Auto (Eco), ARC set to On, Lip Sync set to on

TV settings:
Sound output -> ARC

What works:
Everything on the TV itself - I can use the Netflix and Prime apps. Both play sound and audio correctly.

What doesn't work:
Apple TV - can get audio but no signal on picture (TV literally says no signal / power)

I've tried:
Changing HDMI ports on receiver
Changed HDMI cables (have brand new, top of the line 4k cables)
Changed lots of the above settings to different variations on receiver (had to factory reset after a while because i ended up breaking audio on what was working!)

I've read through so many posts and can't find an answer. Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Incredibly frustrated and feeling dumb Jen

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR696
6 Posts
Apple TV - can get audio but no signal on picture (TV literally says no signal / power)
If your Apple TV is sending signals in HDR 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, perhaps you need to enable the HDMI on your TV for it to accept it.

I don't know about LG TVs, but in Samsing you need to enable an option called "HDMI UHD Color" for it to accept 4:2:2/4:4:4 (10/12 bits) signals; if this option is not enable the HDMI port will only accept 4:2:0 (8-bits) signals.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If your Apple TV is sending signals in HDR 4:2:2 or 4:4:4, perhaps you need to enable the HDMI on your TV for it to accept it.

I don't know about LG TVs, but in Samsing you need to enable an option called "HDMI UHD Color" for it to accept 4:2:2/4:4:4 (10/12 bits) signals; if this option is not enable the HDMI port will only accept 4:2:0 (8-bits) signals.

Thank you. I have tried that as well - failed to include that in my steps above. There is an Ultra HD setting per HDMI port on the TV and I have tried both off and on. <sigh>

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Thank you. I have tried that as well - failed to include that in my steps above. There is an Ultra HD setting per HDMI port on the TV and I have tried both off and on.
There’s also a hidden “enhanced HDMI” setting on the Onkyo, which allows 4K 60 fps HDR. Though I found my Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision still worked before I enabled that it just complained.

Does the ATV work if connected directly to the TV with the same cable that it’s currently connected to the Onkyo with?

·
Registered
4 Posts
There’s also a hidden “enhanced HDMI” setting on the Onkyo, which allows 4K 60 fps HDR. Though I found my Apple TV 4K Dolby Vision still worked before I enabled that it just complained.

Does the ATV work if connected directly to the TV with the same cable that it’s currently connected to the Onkyo with?
Plugging straight into TV using same HDMI cable works perfectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not sure what it could be. Maybe try changing HDMI out from main + sub to main?

If you hit the settings button, does the Onkyo menu show up on the TV?
Ugh - spot on. I called Onkyo support and we were walking through setup, settings etc. and it dawned on me that when installing the new TV, Geeksquad insisted that the HDMI cable i have fed through wall did not need replacing. I bypassed that HDMI and used a brand new one between TV and receiver and bingo. I feel like a dumb a$$ because I simply took the installers word as gospel. So glad this is over and I can now enjoy my TV. Thank you all for responding and trying to help!

Sincerely,

Enjoying-my-new-TV-and-receiver Jen

141 - 160 of 161 Posts