AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 2455 Posts

·
Registered
Oled65gx sc-lx801 monolith5 lsim707 Oppo 203 pb2000 pc2000 7.2.4
109 Posts
For the life of me, I cannot get the trigger function to work from my SC-LX801 to my Outlaw 7500. I’ve followed what has been said on the forums here with HDMI Out turned off with everything else set to MAIN but the power amp will not come on. Even if I go to the Outlaw and press the power button, it will not turn on as long as a trigger is plugged in. Any ideas?
This is my setup

·
Registered
614 Posts
For the life of me, I cannot get the trigger function to work from my SC-LX801 to my Outlaw 7500. I’ve followed what has been said on the forums here with HDMI Out turned off with everything else set to MAIN but the power amp will not come on. Even if I go to the Outlaw and press the power button, it will not turn on as long as a trigger is plugged in. Any ideas?
Are you using a mono cable (tip/sleeve), not a stereo cable (tip/ring/sleeve)? Both Pioneer and Outlaw call for a mono 3.5mm cable to be used for 12V trigger.

Also curiously, the Outlaw calls for the trigger connection to be added while the amp is powered on.

Outlaw's manual doesn't give a polarity spec for their trigger jack. Pioneer is tip positive / sleeve negative - also not in their manual but I tested it on my 901 because I had to make a custom cable, and the device being controlled requires a specific polarity.

From http://pdf.outlawaudio.com/outlaw/docs/7700_7500manual.pdf page 8

Remote Turn-On Using Products Equipped With a 12 Volt Trigger Jack
Press the front panel power switch on the amplifier so that it is in the ON position. Then, using an accessory cable with a 3.5mm mono mini-plug on each end, connect the trigger-output jack on the rear of the source device to the trigger input jack on the back panel of the amplifier. When these connections are made, the amplifier will automatically turn on whenever the triggering device is turned on.

For Pioneer menu settings controlling Trigger A and Trigger B, look at page 23 of the Basic manual: https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com/manuals/docs/SC-LX801_701_BAS_ADV_En_171116_web.pdf

I would have to go look at my 901 menus but I believe my Trigger A is setup same as you suggested - HDMI Out set to OFF, and all sources set to MAIN.

Below is the Pioneer blurb about connecting to the 701/801/901 trigger jack.

You can enable power link operation when you connect the unit and an external device such as power amplifier equipped with 12V trigger input jack. When the desired input is selected on the unit or when an HDMI OUT jack that outputs video is switched, external unit power link operation will be activated with a control signal of maximum 12 V/100 mA from the 12V TRIGGER OUT A jack or maximum 12 V/25 mA when using the 12V TRIGGER OUT B jack. You can select the zone to output the control signal by setting each of the inputs. For connection, use a monaural mini plug cable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Typically, when using analog preouts for Zone 2/3, the input has to be analog as well (which is probably why the CD player works).
Typically, when using HDMI out for Zone 2/3, the input has to be HDMI as well (so I'm surprised that the AppleTV doesn't work).
Streaming content is considered digital, so may not send out over analog preouts
Typically, higher end systems like the LX801 do analog/digital conversion so any input can be sent to Zone 2/3 over any port. That doesn't seem to be happening though.

Hopefully opideegs' references to the manual will help clarify.

If you're trying to play streaming music like Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, etc to the other Zone/receiver, you may not need to use the Zone features.
If the 2nd receiver isn't already Play-Fi compatible, you could add a Play-Fi streamer like the inexpensive Phorus PR5 to the other receiver.
Then you can use the Play-Fi app to send streaming music to one or both, independently or grouped.
[/QU
Typically, when using analog preouts for Zone 2/3, the input has to be analog as well (which is probably why the CD player works).
Typically, when using HDMI out for Zone 2/3, the input has to be HDMI as well (so I'm surprised that the AppleTV doesn't work).
Streaming content is considered digital, so may not send out over analog preouts
Typically, higher end systems like the LX801 do analog/digital conversion so any input can be sent to Zone 2/3 over any port. That doesn't seem to be happening though.

Hopefully opideegs' references to the manual will help clarify.

If you're trying to play streaming music like Pandora, Spotify, Tidal, etc to the other Zone/receiver, you may not need to use the Zone features.
If the 2nd receiver isn't already Play-Fi compatible, you could add a Play-Fi streamer like the inexpensive Phorus PR5 to the other receiver.
Then you can use the Play-Fi app to send streaming music to one or both, independently or grouped.
Thank you and Opideegs for the replies. My apology as I hadn’t signed back into the forum until today and see your messages. To put my frustration at rest I just decided to hook up an Apple TV to the other receiver so I didn’t need the primary one to feed the second one. I also ended up stepping away from the receiver and for the first time in oh perhaps 15 years moved away from Elite. It is weirdly sad as now I have two that are relegated to non-use that are perfectly still good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks so much, guys. I’ll try out a different cable. I was using a mono cable but perhaps I need to look for the specific type mentioned above. I checked the output trigger voltage and all is good there so maybe it is the cable. I’ll report back.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Out of curiosity, what are the 2 sidelined receivers, and what are you using now?

Thank you and Opideegs for the replies. My apology as I hadn’t signed back into the forum until today and see your messages. To put my frustration at rest I just decided to hook up an Apple TV to the other receiver so I didn’t need the primary one to feed the second one. I also ended up stepping away from the receiver and for the first time in oh perhaps 15 years moved away from Elite. It is weirdly sad as now I have two that are relegated to non-use that are perfectly still good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Pioneer LX owners,

Currently I have the LX 801 for quite some time now. However there is something in the receiver that has not been talked about a lot. I'm reffering to the Audio Scaler option.

In my personal experience the sound is best when every extra setting such as EQ, Phase Control and Cinema Filter is turned off. The only thing I play with is the digital filter setting in de Audio Scaler option. Now I dont use the 32 bit option and set the Scaler to manual. Then I select Slow as digital filter. With this turned on there is a nice warm feel to the soundtrack. Sometimes I turn it completely off and the sound is more direct, but less warm.

What is your experience with this setting? Is there any good or bad?

Also I use a second amplifier (NAD T747) for my mains with the receiver in pre-amp mode. Anyone out there with maybe some good tips and tops?

Kind regards in advance,

Hessel

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK folks, here's a good one!

I run an SC-LX701 in 5.1.4 configuration. I had my Atmos speakers set as Front High and Rear High (not able or willing to fit ceiling speakers)

Anyway, I have just upgraded my Atmos speakers with some new ones and had them set as before. Running some tests to see how they perform.....get to Saving Private Ryan UHD (Atmos) and notice there is no sound coming from the front height speakers. I would have expected a LOT of activity of the front high speakers, particularly the beach landing scene with all the bullets whizzing around.

Using the AV5 app, switch off all speakers except the Atmos speakers. There are sounds from the rears but nothing from the fronts. Crank the volume up (a lot) and can hear some faint noise at the front but nothing like it should be. Anyway, I had the idea to check the speaker configuration setting and changed the Front Height to TOP FRONT. Ran the test again and BAM! Loads of activity on the TOP FRONT speakers now.

I don't know yet if it's just this movie, but I've always had my front height speakers set to, well...... front height. Have I been missing out on front height action in all the time I've had this setting in the past? I will now need to check all my Atmos disks to see if the problem was always there.

I would have thought the Pioneer would have correctly mapped the Atmos speakers to the source, so it's a bit frustrating to find this after all the time I have had it!

I'd be interested to see if anyone else can try this out with the SPR disk and replicate the "problem".

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
For the surround sound processors, Front Height (from PL-IIz) and Top Front (from Atmos) are different for amp assignment.
Some people, as you describe above, use the more convenient placement/installation location typically used for Front Height speakers to place Top Front speakers.
I would have thought an upmixer would figure out how to use them for immersive content.
It would interesting to see how your other Atmos disks respond to the change.

I don't know yet if it's just this movie, but I've always had my front height speakers set to, well...... front height. Have I been missing out on front height action in all the time I've had this setting in the past? I will now need to check all my Atmos disks to see if the problem was always there.

I would have thought the Pioneer would have correctly mapped the Atmos speakers to the source, so it's a bit frustrating to find this after all the time I have had it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello Pioneer LX owners,

Currently I have the LX 801 for quite some time now. However there is something in the receiver that has not been talked about a lot. I'm reffering to the Audio Scaler option.

In my personal experience the sound is best when every extra setting such as EQ, Phase Control and Cinema Filter is turned off. The only thing I play with is the digital filter setting in de Audio Scaler option. Now I dont use the 32 bit option and set the Scaler to manual. Then I select Slow as digital filter. With this turned on there is a nice warm feel to the soundtrack. Sometimes I turn it completely off and the sound is more direct, but less warm.

What is your experience with this setting? Is there any good or bad?

Also I use a second amplifier (NAD T747) for my mains with the receiver in pre-amp mode. Anyone out there with maybe some good tips and tops?

Kind regards in advance,

Hessel
I own the same receiver and I agree.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Drove 3 hours to drop off my 801 to a repair center to get fixed on Saturday. The guy was pleasant to talk to but basically was telling me that the are to cheap to fix( I have a 3rd party warranty covering it so I'm not to worried about it) he then proceeded to tell me that pioneer recievers and onkyo recievers are junk and that the what looked like a denon x4500 would blow my pos out of the water. I was like uh ok I'm just needing a cost to get this fixed. Don't really care how he feels about pioneer or denon. I love how my pioneer sounds and that's all that really matters to me.
Though if a repair guy is dissing it that much is the pioneer 801 built that bad or do you think he has only worked on the cheaper ones?
The guy is nuts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Noob owner of an 801 here, and I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I repair audio equipment for a "major electronics retailer" so I was able to score a good deal on an open box unit with cosmetic issues. This is a huge upgrade from my old Onkyo TX-NR636, but I'm still having 2nd thoughts. I've been running the Onkyo as 7.2 even though it does support 5.2.2. I bought the Pioneer with plans to add ceiling speakers (this weeken's project).

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the reservation about the 801?

Noob owner of an 801 here, and I'm not sure I'm going to keep it. I repair audio equipment for a "major electronics retailer" so I was able to score a good deal on an open box unit with cosmetic issues. This is a huge upgrade from my old Onkyo TX-NR636, but I'm still having 2nd thoughts. I've been running the Onkyo as 7.2 even though it does support 5.2.2. I bought the Pioneer with plans to add ceiling speakers (this weeken's project).

·
Registered
27 Posts
SC-LX901 Question. When I turn on my TV, the 901 powers up, but it doesn't turn the amplifiers 'on'. I have to manually use the Pioneer remote and toggle the volume up or down - at which point I hear a big 'click' and then my sound kicks in. Is there a setting I'm missing? On my prior SC-95 this was not an issue: I simply turned on my TV and I had volume from the AVR.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Out of curiosity, what's the reservation about the 801?
Sorry, accidentally hit enter before I finished my thoughts. Drinking, researching, ordering pizza, typing...

No eARC (unless I missed details on a firmware upgrade).

I can get a New Marantz SR6014 considerably cheaper. (or the 7015 for just a bit more). I was also considering a Yamaha Aventage A2080 but those aren't currently available.

We don't actually work on the Marantz so I'm not familiar with them.

I was in the midst of writing an overly wordy reply when I think I settled on the SR6014. But I'm still open minded.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wondering the same. This is a fantastic receiver
Agreed, when these come in the shop I'm totally geeked out (and they don't come in very often), but typical buyer's remorse and doing a bit of research... 3 year old model... the cosmetic issues and missing remote mean I need to drop another $100 to make it right...

Also I had no idea what a good deal I could get on the Marantz.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
@JimGah after spending a lot of time on the asr site, I would suggest either the x3600 or x3700, unless you need the analog inputs on the marantz? The cousin denon seems to have all of the same features (minus hdam) and excellent reviews for less $, if you can find one in stock somewhere :)

Edit - found an x4500 on sale at a authorized online dealer. I might pull the trigger omn the denon since I found a great deal on the pioneer lx504, but sadly it measured horribly and seems to be really poorly built (n)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The guy is nuts.
Yeah, repairing $1500 receivers is a no-brainer. Most of the Pioneer units I see aren't worth fixing outside of warranty, but this line is. I don't remember the prices but the problem we usually see (like maybe 4-5 times in a year for 70 stores) is the class D amp board.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@JimGah after spending a lot of time on the asr site, I would suggest either the x3600 or x3700, unless you need the analog inputs on the marantz? The cousin denon seems to have all of the same features (minus hdam) and excellent reviews for less $, if you can find one in stock somewhere :)

Edit - found an x4500 on sale at a authorized online dealer. I might pull the trigger omn the denon since I found a great deal on the pioneer lx504, but sadly it measured horribly and seems to be really poorly built (n)
I can get the 3700 or the 6014 for almost exactly the same price (and both considerably cheaper than the 801). No need for analog inputs. I'm a little familiar with Denons as we do work on those. Corporate politics are weird, Sound United actually is the parent company for both.

Off hand do you know if either of those can do 7.1.4 with a external amp?

eta: Yes, they both do.

2421 - 2440 of 2455 Posts