AVS Forum banner

281 - 300 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting device. My only question is I’m already getting PCM 7.1 from my PS5being sent to my headphones via the eArc Sharc device, how much better can the PS5’s 3D audio implementation be especially being sent as PCM 2.0?
If 3D Audio is done right, it can legit scare/startle you... convincing you someone or thing is right next to you, causing you take off your headphones. And only 2 Channels are needed for that.

But again, if it is done right.

So I'd look up reviews/feedback for certain games if they have good 3D Audio implementation. If that's the case, I'd play it in 3D Audio.

If a game doesn't support it, or it isn't a good implementation... then I'd use PCM 7.1

·
Registered
LGC9 OLED TV, LGUBK90 Blu-ray Player, AppleTv4k, Sony PS5, Sharc eArc, Sony HW700ds 9.1 Headphones
293 Posts
If 3D Audio is done right, it can legit scare/startle you... convincing you someone or thing is right next to you, causing you take off your headphones. And only 2 Channels are needed for that.

But again, if it is done right.

So I'd look up reviews/feedback for certain games if they have good 3D Audio implementation. If that's the case, I'd play it in 3D Audio.

If a game doesn't support it, or it isn't a good implementation... then I'd use PCM 7.1
I’m currently playing Spider-Man, so maybe I’ll give it a shot. I think if I plug in a pair of headphones to the dual sense controller I can also get 3D audio that way. Thanks fir the heads up on the device 👍🏻

·
Registered
LGC9 OLED TV, LGUBK90 Blu-ray Player, AppleTv4k, Sony PS5, Sharc eArc, Sony HW700ds 9.1 Headphones
293 Posts
How do I setup the box, I can only choose hdmi1-3, tv, analog and not the optical input??
If you use optical then I believe you choose “Tv” on the headphone receiver to hear the audio from the optical. Also make sure you select “bitstream” on the tv’s audio menu if possible so that the headphones do the decoding

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all! I bought these earphones as soon as they were available in the US (in US packaging). I have LOVED them.

TLDR: How do I tighten up the headband on these? Are there any decent replacement cups/pads?

Living in a studio apartment without the room for 5.1 speakers, these headphones sealed the deal. I did have Definitive Audio tower speakers x2 (maybe the predecessor to the BP9000 series, mine were about 2007) + the Super Cube (I or II not sure -- that broke during moving and I bought the 3000). They were made in Baltimore in those days. Wow, It was great when I lived in a steel and concrete condo, but I could not use it in the cheap Capitol Hill, Seattle apartments. So....that's why I bought the HW700. I've since moved again and could not way have my own audio system so those headphone have earned their weight in gold.

The Magnolia showroom and service in Bellevue is outstanding (can't say anything about it since they moved into Best Buy). The Definitive showroom is too haughty. I'm not what I would say is a typical customer, but I feel like I make the best informed decisions with the limited funds I have.

PS: Sorry for the memories of 15 years ago, but those were the good years for me.
PPS: Is there a modern alternative to the HW700? I have not money for this but I'd like to research.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Guys, can you tell me if there is a successor to this system? I had them before and know they can't do 4k so did Sony make a newer version? Any info appreciated! THANKS!

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
No.

The only options are one by JVC and the Smyth Realiser a16. The JVC I don't believe is released in North America yet - it's available in Japan and Europe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Guys, can you tell me if there is a successor to this system? I had them before and know they can't do 4k so did Sony make a newer version? Any info appreciated! THANKS!
If you have a 4K BluRay Player that has an extra HDMI out for audio.. that of course goes great with headset.

If you want to get HD Sound + 4khdr from Streaming services that support it, getting a Sharc eARC might be worth it.

Here is thread that has user experiences with it.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Thanks guys for the info....

@Worf, what model JVC ? Are they a setup like the HW700DS ? thanks
JVC XP-EXT1, about $1000, not quite in North America yet, I believe.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you have a 4K BluRay Player that has an extra HDMI out for audio.. that of course goes great with headset.

If you want to get HD Sound + 4khdr from Streaming services that support it, getting a Sharc eARC might be worth it.

Here is thread that has user experiences with it.
I have the Sharc eArc and use it with the combination of my LGC9 and these headphones. After some tinkering it works as advertised. Mostly useful to get lossless audio from my Ps5 and my 4K Blu-ray player. For the streaming apps it doesn’t do much as that audio is lossy anyways and can pass via arc even without the use of the Sharc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have the Sharc eArc and use it with the combination of my LGC9 and these headphones. After some tinkering it works as advertised. Mostly useful to get lossless audio from my Ps5 and my 4K Blu-ray player. For the streaming apps it doesn’t do much as that audio is lossy anyways and can pass via arc even without the use of the Sharc.
Doesn't ARC max out at 5.1 Dolby Digital? But with the Sharc couldn't you pass Dolby Atmos from say a Netlfix show (7.1.2) and have the Sony breakout box decode it in either Dolby Digital Pro Logic iiz or DTS Neo X?

I don't know what the outcome would be, I would think it would sound better that regular ARC. No?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Doesn't ARC max out at 5.1 Dolby Digital? But with the Sharc couldn't you pass Dolby Atmos from say a Netlfix show (7.1.2) and have the Sony breakout box decode it in either Dolby Digital Pro Logic iiz or DTS Neo X?

I don't know what the outcome would be, I would think it would sound better that regular ARC. No?

The Sony headphones can’t unfortunately decode lossless Atmos via plain arc. It can however decode and playback The lossy formats from the streaming services via arc.

If I remember correctly if a Netflix show says atmos for example and you send it via arc to the Sony headphones the Sony headphones reads it as DolbyDigitalPlus

·
Registered
1 Posts
man, it has been hard waiting on my set to arrive from Japan..should be here by this Saturday. \o/ I finally made the move after waiting a couple of years. (was interested in the previous model)

until then i have some questions i hope some can answer.

do i need to buy an adapter to plug these into U.S. power outlets?

i'm going to tease my cousin with these and he'll most likely want a system of his own. So will I be able to bring just my headphones to his house and be able to connect to his own system box to watch movies together? or will my headphones be locked to my box. I know you can buy additional headphones (Japanese version), but not sure how flexible the original in-box headphone is.

also if there are any helpful hints and benefits with using this device with my

Sony W900 TV (I read that it might have an app for headphone settings)

Sony HMZ1 headmount display. It has built in 5.1 headphones...but wondering if i will have to do some modding or connecting the two boxes together to pass through along with my PS4..lol.

I'm sure there is no support with the Playstation headset companion app for the PS3/4. to use their custom audio profiles for specific games. but i'm wondering if this headset just makes these profile settings irrelevant because they sound so much better on this device and immersion is more realistic.

anyway, sorry for writing so much and thankx for your time.
Depending on how many times you charged it, it can only last so long the internal battery eventually must be changed if you going to use it for years, it won't last forever it must be changed it's only good for approximately 600 to 900 charges

·
Registered
81 Posts
Depending on how many times you charged it, it can only last so long the internal battery eventually must be changed if you going to use it for years, it won't last forever it must be changed it's only good for approximately 600 to 900 charges
I made that post almost 6 years ago... man time flys. These Headphones have been one of my greatest purchases ever. I've babied them over this time.. they have always been inside a case. I only used them for movies, and some shows. I don't know how the battery life is doing, but they got me through 5hrs of binge watching just recently.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The battery in my headset has not held a charge for years. I found a battery on Ebay that I thought might work; it was sold for a baby monitoring system. After installation the battery it would not charge in the Sony headset. After digging around I figured out that I needed to use the PCB from the Sony battery. It seems that each battery has a different PCB depending on the application. Obviously, the PCB in the new battery was not compatible with the Sony charging system.

I removed the PCB from the new battery and had to swap in the PCB from the Sony.

This is the PCB from the new battery.

This is the PCB from the Sony battery.

The new Frankenstein battery is a few millimeters thicker than the Sony. I had to leave out the battery holder and grind down the plastic inside the outer cup. It ain't pretty but it does work.

The headset is back together and charges fine. Using the power cable to the headphones for a couple years was not a big problem but it is nice to be cordless again!

In the meantime I'm waiting for the new JVC XP-EXT1....
XP-EXT1|Headphones|JVC USA - Products -
I'm grateful to you for posting the information about replacing the original Sony battery. Last year I bought two batteries from Aliexpress - US $15.95 |New Battery for Sony MDR HW700DS Headset Li Polymer Rechargeable Accumulator Replacement 3 Lines|Digital Batteries| - AliExpress They are sold as being compatible with the MDR-HW700DS Headset but, like you I found that they would not recharge. I corresponded with the seller and they implied that it must be something wrong with the way that I was using it. After much toing and froing, they gave me a partial refund. If only I/they had known then what you have posted. Yesterday I tried your fix and I can confirm that it does work with the batteries from Aliexpress. The battery is the same size as the original Sony one and it fits inside the plastic frame just fine. The old Sony battery was lasting less than an hour, so it was getting quite frustrating to use. Thanks to you the headset feels like new again.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

What do you guys think of these as a replacement? Yea price is high but they seem like they would work....WORF, these are the ones, right?
It looks like it, but I can't tell you how good they are as you just told me they just arrived in North America. Unfortunately amazon.ca doesn't sell it, so they're only available from third party sellers at ripoff prices (50% higher).

However there are a few reviews from across the pond where they had it for months.

I think this might be one of the more honest ones

I'd like to get it but I'll have to wait until I can get it in Canada at non ripoff prices. It's not a huge urgency for me as I do have a Smyth Realiser A16 (obtained at nice kickstarter pricing). But I do enjoy collecting surround headphones, so I will buy one eventually. I've got one of the original Pioneers, both this Sony and the Japanese variant of same, the Smyth and hopefully the JVC when I can get it.

Edit: the price at your link is expected - it was anticipated to be $1000 US when it was announced last year, so it's the correct price.

281 - 300 of 323 Posts