AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 323 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Of course you can use both - the AV output is for your tv, while the audio only output is for your receiver. Or headphones.

But no, you can't see the Sony menu unless you turn your tv to the Sony output.

·
Registered
LGC9 OLED TV, LGUBK90 Blu-ray Player, AppleTv4k, Sony PS5, Sharc eArc, Sony HW700ds 9.1 Headphones
293 Posts
ok, selling the Sonys and will get the JVCs.....will let you know how they are...thanks
Did you end up getting the Jvc’s? Curious as to how it compares to the Sony’s

·
Registered
81 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the main person behind this JVC Headset is the same Sony engineer who designed our MDR Headsets. So I'd expect them to compare well, if not exceed our headsets. But dat price!

Edit- ok it hasn't been confirmed.

·
Registered
LGC9 OLED TV, LGUBK90 Blu-ray Player, AppleTv4k, Sony PS5, Sharc eArc, Sony HW700ds 9.1 Headphones
293 Posts
JVC-EXT1 Initial Review...

So I ended up getting the JVC’s. Unsure if I’ll keep them yet. It’s incredible how similar they are to the Sony’s. I’ll post comparison pictures here as well as some initial impressions but I’ll post a more final review/thoughts in a few weeks after I watch a ton of stuff on em.

Also hoping if anyone has links to Atmos test tones please PM me as I’d like to try them on the Sony’s and the JVC’s as well and see if there’s any noticeable difference.

Test Equipment:
Lg OLEDC9 65inch
LGUBK90 4K Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K
Sharc eArc audio extractor (connected to Sony HW700ds from the LGOLED)

So far I’ve only watched Mad Max Fury Road (w/ a Dolby Atmos True HD track) on 4K Bluray connected via the HDMI audio out to the JVC EXT1 and compared it to Mad Max (w/ a DD+ track) playing on my Apple TV4K connected to the Sony HW700’s.

Initial Impressions:
Pro’s
-Love love the JVC app. Using the Sony’s who are unfortunately only HDMI 1.4 I’ve been forced to use it by using the Sharc eArc to get audio to it. And doing so means I can’t use the Sony On Screen Display to know what format is playing, the charge level of the phones, change the levels etc. So having an app now that I can see what format is playing back and being able to update the firmware is HUGE IMO.
-Bass is terrific and I haven’t even had to up the LFE Channel.
-Same goes with volume, these things are plenty loud, at least with a TrueHD track.
-Obviously love that it accepts the modern audio formats
-The setup process wasn’t too difficult. It seems as if there’s microphones inside the earcups.

Cons:
-The price...by far the main con. It’s wild these things are this expensive.
-Dialogue....Depending on the initial setup dialogue can sound really off. Not low but rather not clear. It took some tweaking and using the initial setup to get it right or close to the Sony’s.
-Comfort....The ear pads are smaller than the Sony’s and less cushy and really the JVC’s are just overall less comfortable than the Sony’s. The JVC’s just feel so stiff but it could be cause they’re new. The Sony’s I’ve had for almost 5 years now and are truly broken in so they just feel like marshmallows on my ears.
-the JVC’s aren’t HDMI 2.1, again for this price? Cmon. (Btw I haven’t tested passing Dolby Vision, was planning on mainly using it with eArc)
-The volume control on the JVC’s is just awful. It’s like a touch sensitive volume control instead of a knob like on the Sony’s. It’s really not intuitive at all.

Final Initial Thoughts:
-So far based off one movie I can’t say I can tell the difference in soundstage. This is me going back and forth between the Sony’s and JVC’s while watching Mad Max. There’s nothing I can really pinpoint to feeling like the surround sound effects are stronger in the JVC’s than the Sony’s. Like I said this is just one movie and want to listen to a bunch of different movies as well as Atmos test tones and test tracks before I make a final decision. I’ll post my final thoughts in a few weeks or so.
Thanks!

·
Registered
293 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Did you end up getting the Jvc’s? Curious as to how it compares to the Sony’s "
Just won the auction and will get them April 6 to test out. Thanks for the review and pix Ario!

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
Ahhhh. Someone mislisted their HW700DS on eBay and I won the auction unopposed for $175. It looks to be in very good condition.

I said I wasn't going to buy one because I already own a MDR-7500 but it was such a good deal I couldn't resist.

At this price I don't even think it's worth fixing up my 7500s to sell them online. The best I could probably get for it is $130 and it will probably cost me >$20 just to replace the pads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
"Did you end up getting the Jvc’s? Curious as to how it compares to the Sony’s "
Just won the auction and will get them April 6 to test out. Thanks for the review and pix Ario!

Whoa!.. I need to start getting into these auctions.. I've always quickly filtered to "Buy it now", when searching for a product. Always figured the owner would just pull his item if it didn't reach what they wanted for an auction.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Ahhhh. Someone mislisted their HW700DS on eBay and I won the auction unopposed for $175. It looks to be in very good condition. "

LMAO!!! That was my listing! I bought them off eBay for $200 a couple years ago. I wanted to pad the $680 blow I took from the JVCs (better than retail though)...Anyway, waiting on eBay to verify my payout info and will ship to ya. Thanks for the purchase. No issues with them, just some minor tears on inner earmuff parts.....Jon

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I know I bought two 7500s brand new - one full price, one on sale when Sony was closing their stores, and a demo unit on way too good sale for the same reason. I use the demo unit at work. I also found a 700 with spare headphones on these here forums.

Now I need to find the JVCs.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok all. So after a little less than 30 days with the JVC Atmos Exofield and a lot of listening to different movies and comparing them to my 9.1 Sony HW700ds as well as my Phillips X2HR stereo headphones I’m finally here for my final review....and long story short I decided on NOT keeping them and I’m sending them back. If you don’t want to read my long review then the main thing is I just couldn’t justify keeping something that while worked pretty good had so many flaws and was as expensive as a true Atmos soundbar surround speaker system. If it was $500-$600 then maybe, but at $1000? Don’t think it’s worth it, at least to me.

For those of you that want to read the longer review...here goes:

First things first, I actually grew to really enjoy these. It took several (and I mean several) measurements to get the sound just right. But once I got a sound profile I liked it was actually an enjoyable experience.

Some thoughts both pro and con:

-The bass just continued to be terrific, not as clean maybe the Sony’s but stronger I would say. While listening to Aquaman or Mad Max these things felt at times almost like I was wearing a rumble pack on my head. This is all with the LFE set to 0, even with my Sony’s LFE gain raised to +3 I don’t get the same rumble and worse yet the Sony’s would bottom out in certain scenes in Mad Max whereas the JVC’s took it like a champ.

-I truly enjoyed using the app. Just so cool being able to see the incoming signal reading as “Dolby Atmos” and seeing the speaker icons light up. I also fired up Gladiator on my 4K Bluray and the app correctly read and decoded the DTS-X soundtrack and boy was that loud. Opening scene was just tremendous. Great audio.

-Surround effects are a mixed bag but leans towards the positive. Using some Dolby Atmos test tones I played via my 4K player I was amazed at how well the headphones gave off the differentiating sound of the surround speakers vs the rear surround speakers. When the Atmos test tone pink lit up a left surround speaker followed by a left rear surround speaker it was clear that the positioning was different and unique and felt like the “speakers” where placed where they should be. The Atmos overhead test tones however where hard to discern. Instead of sounding “above me” it sounded more like the left front and the left rear speakers were firing at the same time, albiet different, and lighter. Still it is amazing that using the Exofield I’m able to discern so many different simulated speaker positions. By comparison when using my Sony HW700ds it passed at giving off unique placement sounds for the front, center, sub and surround speakers. The rear surround speakers where NOWHERE near as clear however as in the JVC’s.

-That being said despite the JVC’s passing the atmos test tones surprisingly well when it came to real world movie listening I can’t say I noticed the “surround effect” and faux “speaker placement” as well as I did in the test tones. Watching chapter 2 of Ready Player One’s race scene I was blown away by certain parts, for example when King Kong is running behind the main character it sounds like he’s running behind you, but it sounds that way in the Sony’s as well, maybe not as clear but still there. Also the overhead atmos effects like the coins being collected or King Kong jumping down didn’t really give off any noticeable height channel difference compared to the Sony’s. They did however shine once again in the bass department when King Kong slams his fist on the race track, just amazing.

-Music. Yeah these things just aren’t good for music. My $150 Phillips X2HR’s sound better than this in music I have to say. The soundstage feels bigger in the X2HR’s mostly due to the X2HR’s being an open back headphone. Bass is better and rumblier on the JVC but where that’s great for movies I think for music you lose something when the bass overpowers the music. Also the vocals are clearer on the X2HR’s.

-Gaming. Same deal as music. I think the bass heaviness doesn’t help the gaming here as well. I actually prefer the Sony’s to game with as the surround effects are there without the heavy bass. Plus gaming on the PS5 you gain nothing by having an Atmos headphone because the PS5 doesn’t do Atmos gaming. Ps5 has its own proprietary 3D audio called Tempest 3D and honestly I got better surround

sound effects using my X2HR’s and connecting it to my Ps5 controller and enabling Tempest 3D. Playing Spider-Man Miles Morales for example I could hear random crowd dialogue coming from different places in the soundstage much more than I did using the JVC’s (or the Sony HW700ds for that matter)

-Volume. Two points on the volume. For one the haptic feedback volume button on the JVC sucks. Even after 30 days of using it I never got the hang of it and just used the app. Second the volume is louder on the Sony’s. It still gets plenty loud on the JVC but it’s dependent on the source. For some reason watching movies on Movies Anywhere the volume was low compared to watching the same movie on Apple. Odd.

-The hardware itself. Eventually I did get comfortable using the JVC’s. They are smaller than the Sony’s and not as soft and cushy but still it was fine, I never got hot wearing them and the sound isolation is good. People with large ears might have an issue with the cups being small however. The receiver itself is fine, I rarely if ever had any dropouts from the wireless connection and it does have 4 HDMI connections although it’s basically useless connections if you want to watch Dolby Vision or take advantage of HDMI 2.1 gaming features like VRR or ALLM

-The non HDMI2.1 connection. The HDMI connection not being HDMI 2.1 is a disappointment to be sure. I tried passing my AppleTv 4K but it couldn’t read Dolby Vision as an option so I just stuck to using eArc. Honestly I was more disappointed early on in this finding but after seeing so many HDMI 2.1 bugs happening with real AVR’s maybe it’s ok that this isn’t HDMI 2.1. As I said I stuck to eArc and using that it worked fine for me on my LGc9 however people with older tv’s that don’t have eArc can and should be upset by this not being HDMI2.1, especially at this price point.

-And that leads me to my final point and the reason I ultimately decided to return this and it’s the price. For $1000 I told myself this would have to blow me away and be leaps better than my Sony HW700ds for me to keep it. And at the end of the day it was better in many aspects, and it’s great having something that decodes Dolby Atmos AMD DTSX but the juice just wasn’t worth the squeeze. There’s also the nagging fact that JVC made these and JVC just isn’t a major player I don’t think in home theater or headphones for that matter. If Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic made these then I’d feel more comfortable shelling out $1000 cause I know those companies have a track record in making high end audiophile headphones.

I can’t help thinking that for the price of $1000 I could probably get myself a pair of truly great headphones and match it with a Dac/Amp and it’d be a better value. Also I’ve seen reviews online and specifically YouTube reviewer BadSeedTech raving about how great Dolby Atmos for headphones on windows and Xbox is. If you consider that you could take $1000 and buy a $500 quality headphone from beyerdynamic or Sennheiser and match it to a new $500 Xbox Series X and get as good if not better quality Dolby Atmos for headphones then that’s truly a better value than the JVC’s. Unfortunately I don’t own an Xbox to test this theory out and compare them to the JVC’s.

Final thought....If this set was between $500-$600 then maybe I could convince myself it’s worth it just as a niche product to watch Atmos movies with a wireless headphone..... but at $1000 I just couldn’t keep justify keeping these. Here’s hoping something better (if not at least more affordable) comes along.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
As I said in the other thread- I found a mis-listing of these used on eBay for $175 so I had to take advantage of it. I will retire my MDR-DS7500 to another room or give away to my friends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
"As I said in the other thread- I found a mis-listing of these used on eBay for $175 so I had to take advantage of it. "
Is y
As I said in the other thread- I found a mis-listing of these used on eBay for $175 so I had to take advantage of it. I will retire my MDR-DS7500 to another room or give away to my friends.
I am the seller and it wasn't a mis-listing. lol...

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
"As I said in the other thread- I found a mis-listing of these used on eBay for $175 so I had to take advantage of it. "
Is y

I am the seller and it wasn't a mis-listing. lol...
I don't know, it seemed too good to be true, that's why I thought so. Worth the $175 to be sure. Hopefully the batteries hold out. Had I had known it was a forum member we could have dealt directly and avoided the eBay transaction fee.

I just can't bring myself to spend >$500 for the JVCs. I can barely hear the imaging on the Sonys. I'll use the price difference to buy a HDMI 2.1 receiver.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
So the only way to adjust the center channel and LFE on these is through the on-screen menu? My older DS7500s lets you do it all from the headphone and lights up on the amp. I'm using a 2019 Shield Pro with a AVRKey and have no way of seeing the on screen menu.

I did not know that. Uhhh. I think I just wasted $190.

Also, had I actually searched the thread and saw you only paid $100 for them I wouldn't have paid $175. lol

·
Registered
293 Posts
So the only way to adjust the center channel and LFE on these is through the on-screen menu? My older DS7500s lets you do it all from the headphone and lights up on the amp. I'm using a 2019 Shield Pro with a AVRKey and have no way of seeing the on screen menu.

I did not know that. Uhhh. I think I just wasted $190.

Also, had I actually searched the thread and saw you only paid $100 for them I wouldn't have paid $175. lol
you could connect the ARC HDMI out port on the Sony’s to your tv and adjust the menu that way.

·
Registered
18,850 Posts
you could connect the ARC HDMI out port on the Sony’s to your tv and adjust the menu that way.
I assume that won't work because it interrupts the HDCP chain. The Shield will see a device with HDCP 1.4 and default everything back to 1080p. I won't be able to adjust everything on the fly as needed anyways.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I assume that won't work because it interrupts the HDCP chain. The Shield will see a device with HDCP 1.4 and default everything back to 1080p. I won't be able to adjust everything on the fly as needed anyways.
It works trust me, I did it yesterday morning to up the LFE channel. It’s an uncomfortable and janky way to change things on the menu but it works.
Btw this is one of the main things where the JVC’s blow the Sony’s out the water...being able to change things on the menu via an app instead of using this ridiculous system of wires to get to the Sony’s menu is huge

·
Registered
12 Posts
"Btw this is one of the main things where the JVC’s blow the Sony’s out the water...being able to change things on the menu via an app instead of using this ridiculous system of wires to get to the Sony’s menu is huge "

🙂

301 - 320 of 323 Posts