AVS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 365 Posts
Without the Dredd disc it was hard for me to discern at first. I think being able to visualize the sound field as it demoed tricked me into hearing surrounds, or the headphones iteration of surround. I was actually very impressed after that demo. Now I can distinguish better in most movies.

Also, make sure you use Cinema/Neo X. Without that setting they don't produce IMO. Another thing you can do is pick a scene with heavy surrounds and go back and forth with the modes. Ultimately there is only so much headphones can do.

The whole purpose of this setup is so that you Don't have to do any additional switching. You'll never have to mess with the splitter or worry about it having a remote to switch inputs on the splitter itself
Just ordered a pair of these for a slightly discounted price from a Japan seller on ebay I hope they aren't counterfeits. I got so excited finding these headphones but disappointed when I read about not having the capability to switch between inputs with a remote. So it seems your work around will be ideal because A I don't want to get up and have to manually switch inputs on the switcher box and B I don't want to have to explain to everyone that they need to manually switch inputs. Currently my Logitech harmony one does all the work making sure my receiver and tv are on the right inputs are where they they need to be.

I have one question however.... I see how using the splitters solves the problem when not using the headphones but what happens when you do use the headphones will I still have to switch inputs between devices then?

The whole purpose of this setup is so that you Don't have to do any additional switching. You'll never have to mess with the splitter or worry about it having a remote to switch inputs on the splitter itself
Just ordered a pair of these for a slightly discounted price from a Japan seller on ebay I hope they aren't counterfeits. I got so excited finding these headphones but disappointed when I read about not having the capability to switch between inputs with a remote. So it seems your work around will be ideal because A I don't want to get up and have to manually switch inputs on the switcher box and B I don't want to have to explain to everyone that they need to manually switch inputs. Currently my Logitech harmony one does all the work making sure my receiver and tv are on the right inputs are where they they need to be.

I have two question however.... I see how using the splitters solves the problem when not using the headphones but what happens when you do use the headphones will I still have to switch inputs between devices then?

Also does using the splitters completely pass through every digital format , won't I risk losing one of the newer formats like true Dolby and in which case I would be short changing my reciever? Is there any pads through loss what so ever be it format , sound quality or video quality?

I have two question however.... I see how using the splitters solves the problem when not using the headphones but what happens when you do use the headphones will I still have to switch inputs between devices then?
When you are using the headphones just switch your receiver to the source you want to watch with its remote as usual BD/DVD/etc, and you will hear audio from your surround speakers as usual. Just turn the volume down there (and the subwoofer level up if you still want it engaged) and put the headphones on. From there, just use the INPUT button on the headphones themselves to switch between the 3 inputs on the headphone amp to find the source you want audio on via the headphones

Also does using the splitters completely pass through every digital format , won't I risk losing one of the newer formats like true Dolby and in which case I would be short changing my reciever? Is there any pads through loss what so ever be it format , sound quality or video quality?
Not if you use the Monoprice splitter I recommeded/linked to. All high def audio/3D visuals are passed thru untouched via the splitter (there are also higher priced 4K capable splitters available if you have a 4K display). Here's the link and a quick breakdown of the splitter I use:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=2

The splitter supports High Speed HDMI signals, which means that it supports the following HDMI features:
1080p Resolution - It supports the full 1080p@60Hz HDMI resolution.
3D Video - It supports all standard HDMI 3D modes.
Deep Color - It supports deep color up to 12-bits per channel, 36-bits total.
High Definition Audio - It supports high-definition multi-channel audio signals, including Dolby TrueHD™ and DTS-HD Master Audio™

Thanks for the speedy reply . It seems like the splitters can handle anything you throw at them , and I completely forgot about the input button on the head phone itself.

Despite your great work around I'm still weighing the pros and cons...

I have my tivo, popcorn hour, Xbox one, and my Apple TV
While I want everything to work seamlessly but I'm concerned about having to buy 4 separate splitters which come with 4 power cables not to mention having 12 hdmi cables its a lot of cable clutter vs getting up to switch the input its a tough call....

I've also noticed the headphones switcher box only has 3 hdmi inputs I was wondering will I run into any problems if I connect my 4th av device (probably the tivo) with the optical input? I was reading the manual and it said to use the optical input the switch has to be set to TV im thinking a conflict might occur because I will have the TV out always connected on a secondary input of the TV for adjusting the headphones settings . I don't know if the switcher will not accept the optical feed because the hdmi out also accepts arc audio return . I will purposely avoid the hdmi marked arc on my tv for this purpose but I'm still worried the device isn't meant for 4 inputs

Thanks for the speedy reply . It seems like the splitters can handle anything you throw at them , and I completely forgot about the input button on the head phone itself.

Despite your great work around I'm still weighing the pros and cons...

I have my tivo, popcorn hour, Xbox one, and my Apple TV
While I want everything to work seamlessly but I'm concerned about having to buy 4 separate splitters which come with 4 power cables not to mention having 12 hdmi cables its a lot of cable clutter vs getting up to switch the input its a tough call....

I've also noticed the headphones switcher box only has 3 hdmi inputs I was wondering will I run into any problems if I connect my 4th av device (probably the tivo) with the optical input? I was reading the manual and it said to use the optical input the switch has to be set to TV im thinking a conflict might occur because I will have the TV out always connected on a secondary input of the TV for adjusting the headphones settings . I don't know if the switcher will not accept the optical feed because the hdmi out also accepts arc audio return . I will purposely avoid the hdmi marked arc on my tv for this purpose but I'm still worried the device isn't meant for 4 inputs
Tivo, Popcorn Hour, Xbox One, and Apple TV. They headphone amp only has 3 inputs as you mentioned, so it looks like you would need to buy a similar splitter but one that has 2 inputs on it so that 2 of those devices share a splitter and everything gets hooked up. But then you would have to deal with either switching that input all the time, or rarely if those devices don't get used as much

In theory, I did what you are doing planning it all out ahead of time. Bought a splitter for every device etc. But in practice after buying all the splitters and everything I ended up getting a PS4 which changed things by combining functionality of many devices. Therefore, no more need to hook the headphones up to EVERYTHING and things were prioritized by what I actually NEED to use the headphones on. And so I didn't end up hooking up a splitter I bought for my bluray player since the PS4 does that just as well

I also bought an extra splitter for my Wii U - but it turns out I play it the least right now so I haven't yet gotten around to hooking it up this way (but I will). So even when I do hook that up, it still left me with a spot to plug in a Chromecast or another device to the headphone amp. I rarely use the Chromecast but it's there for streaming HBO Go, and that only because PS4 hasn't gotten around to getting HBO Go yet (lucky Xbox One getting it sooner lol). Soon it hopefully will and I'll ditch the Chromecast too and another spot will open up. Then perhaps...maybe....I'll actually use the splitter I bought for the Dish DVR which doesn't as it happens actually see much late night use anyway

So all in all I'm just saying don't throw it out the window just because of the lack of inputs on the headphone amp. There are workarounds like sharing a splitter for certain devices. If you are like me, you may end up realizing you only need 1 device for gaming, bluray, and app streaming and can use the other two hookups for your DVR & another console/device to tinker with. And as I mentioned, keeping your subwoofer or buttkicker in the loop is always a plus not to mention not having to explain your setup to a bewildered family member who wants to watch some tv or what not

I've given some thought to what you said. I think you're right I don't think I'll ever be using the head phones to watch my dvr or my Apple TV so I purchased 2 splitters only for the Xbox and popcorn hour. I figure cutting it to only 2 leaves me with less clutter , yet still the ease of not needing to get up or explain to the family how to work it. So in the end it won't be perfect but good enough. Thanks for the help I'll update when everythings installed

Two Boxes in Line

Hello Members,

I got the EU-Version of this fine Headphone. My Wife wants this sound also:cool:. Is it possible to connect Transmitter-Box 1 with Transmitter-Box 2 via HDMI-Through-Connection and we both enjoy loud Surroundsound? Then I would buy another Set.

Regards

Thorsten

Hello Members,

I got the EU-Version of this fine Headphone. My Wife wants this sound also:cool:. Is it possible to connect Transmitter-Box 1 with Transmitter-Box 2 via HDMI-Through-Connection and we both enjoy loud Surroundsound? Then I would buy another Set.

Regards

Thorsten
Not sure about the EU version but I think you just need to buy the standalone headphones that are cheaper bc they don't come with the amp/receiver. The Japanese version (like I have) I believe allows up to 4 headphones to work from just 1 receiver/amp while I believe the US version allows only 2. This is off the top of my memory so you might want to check yourself to make sure - but I am sure that two headphones will work off 1 amp just fine

Not sure about the EU version but I think you just need to buy the standalone headphones that are cheaper bc they don't come with the amp/receiver. The Japanese version (like I have) I believe allows up to 4 headphones to work from just 1 receiver/amp while I believe the US version allows only 2. This is off the top of my memory so you might want to check yourself to make sure - but I am sure that two headphones will work off 1 amp just fine

Thank you for your reply.
Well, the EU-Headphone won't have an ID-Switch. So, all I can Do here in Germany is to give a try with two complete Sets, via HDMI-Chain(Blu-Ray->Transmitter 1-->Transmitter 2 -->AVR-->Screen).
Anyone have Access to two Transmitters and can give it a try?

Regards

How does this compare to Astro A40?

Hi -

I'm currently thinking about buying a MDR-HW700DS. I'm in a situation where I can't be real loud, but I love surround sound.

I currently own an Astro A40 2013, and while it is ok for movies, this Sony unit sounds like it is in a different class.

I've been away from Home Theater receivers for several years now...my previous receiver is a Yamaha that is 5.1 and has no HDMI jacks. I've been thinking about buying a receiver to use as an HDMI switcher now, and when my situation changes I can hook up my speakers and sub and have a contemporary receiver. However, right now other than switching between HDMI sources, I'm not sure the receiver would do much for me. IIRC my old Yamaha, and my previous receiver, a Denon, were able to output Dolby Pro Logic/PLII and DTS Neo thru the headphones jack. I'm almost positive that the Yamaha could....but looking through the manuals of several different brands receivers, it doesn't appear that they can do this any longer. Does anyone know if this is true?

So maybe the MDR-HW700DS is what I really need. I guess I just need to know how it compares to my A40.

Thanks!

We are having a Christmas sale on these at Blazin3D

Only $375 including international shipping from Japan

Discussion starter · #53 ·
Hi -

I'm currently thinking about buying a MDR-HW700DS. I'm in a situation where I can't be real loud, but I love surround sound.

I currently own an Astro A40 2013, and while it is ok for movies, this Sony unit sounds like it is in a different class.

I've been away from Home Theater receivers for several years now...my previous receiver is a Yamaha that is 5.1 and has no HDMI jacks. I've been thinking about buying a receiver to use as an HDMI switcher now, and when my situation changes I can hook up my speakers and sub and have a contemporary receiver. However, right now other than switching between HDMI sources, I'm not sure the receiver would do much for me. IIRC my old Yamaha, and my previous receiver, a Denon, were able to output Dolby Pro Logic/PLII and DTS Neo thru the headphones jack. I'm almost positive that the Yamaha could....but looking through the manuals of several different brands receivers, it doesn't appear that they can do this any longer. Does anyone know if this is true?

So maybe the MDR-HW700DS is what I really need. I guess I just need to know how it compares to my A40.

Thanks!
Hello there i used to have the astro a50,but these headphones blow them away with movie watching.;)

Is it possible to use these headphones with bluetooth/Airplay on my Denon AVR S-900W receiver?

greetings,
my very first post here and i need advice with the proper set-up of these hw700ds headphones/processor...currently i only seem to have a basic 2 channel sound through them from my tv and am at a loss as to how to change any parameters/settings [whether on the headphones' processor box or in my tv's settings] to receive proper surround sound... there doesn't seem to be any spatial separation that would suggest a surround type of a soundtrack in any movies/sources i watched thus far [including a few 2013/2014 films via netflix and hbo/sho/premium channels]...
would appreciate if anyone far more familiar with tech stuff than i am could share info/knowledge and help me out... i'm not very savvy when it comes to electronic/tech stuff, also, i'm a quadriplegic in a wheelchair so i'm unable to do anything on my own, including even the simplest stuff like plugging-in a cable...for anything like that i have to ask a friend or my mom to drive over my apartment and do it for me.... thus, i always try to find out whatever the proper procedure/set-up is before i ask someone to make the trip to my place and connect/change anything for me...hence this post...

btw, this will be a rather lengthy post because i'll try to explain my current connections/set up as exhaustively as possible, in order to save everyone's time and eliminate redundant additional questions/answers in potential follow-up posts here...please bear with me...

a quick background on my sit-rep...
i decided to join the 21st century at last and about a week ago purchased my very first hdtv, went straight to it from my 14 year old 27" tv...
after pouring over reviews/recommendations on-line i decided to purchase the samsung un65h7150 from my local best buy... also paid $200 extra for their geek squad tv wall mount insttallation and system set-up service....
the only other thing i ordered at the tme of my new tv purchase was a samsung blu-ray 3d player [model 'bdh 6500'], a set of 2 high speed hdmi cables ['blue rigger' brand] from amazon, a simple 2 shelf wall mounted rack ['sanus vf3012-b1'] , and a simple tiltable wall mount for the tv ['rocketfish rf-tvmlpt03']... oh, and a few 3d movies for blu-ray dvd...

ok, so the geek squad delivered, mounted and hooked up this simple set up and explained the basics of the tv/remote on christmas eve day in the morning... tv's resolution, size, etc, still blows my mind btw.... the 3d is also fantastic....
now... i decided not to purchase an additional sound system nor a higher sound bar because i tend to listen to my music/video at high volumes but since i have neighbors and thin walls, i instead researched wireless headphones which can reproduce surround sound well and currently the only game in toown which can deliver true surround sound in a headphone package seems to be the headphone/processor set by sony... the mdr-hw700ds...
so i purchased it via amazon for something like $360 three days ago and it arrived yesterday...

crap....i didn't realize that these are japanese model and no manual in english is included...i googled and found english version of manuals in pdf foormat on sony's site, however, so i downloaded it onto my pc... they're not of much help to me though as they only show the basic set up without going into troubleshooting issues....

on my headphones japanese version of the manual, the simpplest hook up in a system such as mine [no av receiver/speakers, just tv-blue-ray-headphones combo] is shown via illustrations to consist of a single hdmi cable from headphones processor box' 'hdmi out' jack to tv's 'hdmi/arc in' jack... then from blu-ray dvd player's 'hdmi out' jack into headphones processor box' 'hdmi 1 in' jack...
on the english version's of this manual, an additional single optical cable is shown hooked up between the tv and headphone processor box, however... i decided to try the simplest hook up as illustrated on the japanese fold-out manual included with my headphones/box....

i asked my mom to do all the hooking/switching of cables for me earlier today... btw, what a thoughtless idea by samsung's engineers/designers it was to place all the input/output jacks and connections so far from the tv's side because when the tv set is wall mounted like mine, close to the wall, it's nearrly impossible to access the tv's jacks if one needs to plug-in/disconnect any cable, without taking the tv off its wall mount - would it kill them to move all the jacks closer to tv's edge/side?........my tv is very heavy so i'd need 2 strong people in order to simply plug additional cable or two into my tv set when it's wall mounted because there's not enough clearance between the wall and tv for one's arm to reach the jacks, plus their markings are impossible to read...thus the tv must be taken off the wall mount in order to simply access its jacks/connections....

anyway, the geek squad hooked up my blu-ray dvd player's hdmi cable into the tv's 'hdmi/arc' jack when they set up my simple system, therefore - to hook up my new set of headphones/proccessor box - it needed to be disconnected and re-plugged into the non arc 'hdmi 1' jack - since the headphones' processor box needs the tv's 'hdmi/arc' in jack...
after a long and mighty struggle my mom was finally able to disconnect the blu-ray player's hdmi cable from tv''s 'hdmi/arc' in jack and plug the headphones' box hdmi cable into it instead [which is hooked up at the other end to the headphone box' 'hdmi out' jack of course]... since my blu-ray dvd player has only a single hdmi jack [as i believe most blu-ray players do], the only logcal way to connect it back into the system was to now plug the blu-ray's hdmi cable into the headphone processor box' 'hdmi in 1' jack....

well...it kind of worked so i don't believe that i still need to add that optical cable....i do receive the sound through my headphones now but........ not in surround sound.... how can i set up the phones/box [or perhaps either my tv set or verizon set top box?] to experience a true surround sound?....

this is my main issue i need to fix somehow....however, here seem to be other additional problem which i don't believe should occur... i might be in error, however, so please enlighten me....
namely, the headphones do indeed automatically turn on when i put them on [or separate the left/right earpieces] as they should - along with the processor box going from stand-by into active mode - and my tv's sound setting automatically then changes from my default 'tv speaker' setting into the 'receiver' setting [thus the tv's speaker also automatically mute] but when i take the headphones off, the headphones/processor box remain 'on'... thus my tv's speakers remain mute and stuck in the 'receiver' mode setting.... so, in order to get the sound back through my tv's speakers after taking the headphones off, i then either must manually turn on the tv's on-screen menu, go into its sound settings [then into the 'speaker settings' submenu and click the 'tv sound output] and switch back into the 'tv speaker' mode...
the other option is to hold down the the 'on/off' switch located on the left earpiece for a couple of seconds for the box/headphones to turn both devices off...if i don't do the latter, the headphones processor box' indicator lights, including the my default 'cinema', etc. mode, remain lit up on its front panel for a few minutes and thus the tv speakers also remain mute....after a few minutes the box goes into the stand-by mode and finally the tv's speakers also come on....
is this by design, or an anomaly with my set?....
i was under the impression that once the headphones are taken off, the processor box should immediately go into the stand-by mode and the tv should switch back to its default sound setting on its own [in my case, the 'tv speaker' mode]... am i wrong in this assumption?....

coincidentally, i thought that my tv's sound setting default for listening through headphones should be the 'audio out' mode [i think i've read that somewhere on-line recently] but as soon as i put the headphones on, the tv switches automatically to the 'receiver' mode in sound settings instead... its 'receiver' mode is the only mode when any sound comes through the headphones, when i tried to manually switch into 'audio out' from the 'receiver' mode with the headphoones on, the sound goes mute.... i guess it's no big deal as long as i do receive the sound when the headphones are on, regardless of which sound setting mode it occurs in but it kind of bothers me that something might be off kilter in my set up/connection...

i'm also starting to experience quite lengthy delays with my tv responding to its remote's commands [as long as 3-4 seconds from the moment any button is ppressed on its factory remote control] but i'll have to address that problem in the appropriate forum section, under my tv model's official users thread....

for the time being of using these phones very briefly, these are the only issues i can remember...i will very much appreciate any useful advice to combat the surround sound issue especially.... thanks....

happy new year to all btw....
jerzy....

greetings,

well...it kind of worked so i don't believe that i still need to add that optical cable....i do receive the sound through my headphones now but........ not in surround sound.... how can i set up the phones/box [or perhaps either my tv set or verizon set top box?] to experience a true surround sound?....

this is my main issue i need to fix somehow....however, here seem to be other additional problem which i don't believe should occur... i might be in error, however, so please enlighten me....
namely, the headphones do indeed automatically turn on when i put them on [or separate the left/right earpieces] as they should - along with the processor box going from stand-by into active mode - and my tv's sound setting automatically then changes from my default 'tv speaker' setting into the 'receiver' setting [thus the tv's speaker also automatically mute] but when i take the headphones off, the headphones/processor box remain 'on'... thus my tv's speakers remain mute and stuck in the 'receiver' mode setting.... so, in order to get the sound back through my tv's speakers after taking the headphones off, i then either must manually turn on the tv's on-screen menu, go into its sound settings [then into the 'speaker settings' submenu and click the 'tv sound output] and switch back into the 'tv speaker' mode...
the other option is to hold down the the 'on/off' switch located on the left earpiece for a couple of seconds for the box/headphones to turn both devices off...if i don't do the latter, the headphones processor box' indicator lights, including the my default 'cinema', etc. mode, remain lit up on its front panel for a few minutes and thus the tv speakers also remain mute....after a few minutes the box goes into the stand-by mode and finally the tv's speakers also come on....
is this by design, or an anomaly with my set?....
i was under the impression that once the headphones are taken off, the processor box should immediately go into the stand-by mode and the tv should switch back to its default sound setting on its own [in my case, the 'tv speaker' mode]... am i wrong in this assumption?....

coincidentally, i thought that my tv's sound setting default for listening through headphones should be the 'audio out' mode [i think i've read that somewhere on-line recently] but as soon as i put the headphones on, the tv switches automatically to the 'receiver' mode in sound settings instead... its 'receiver' mode is the only mode when any sound comes through the headphones, when i tried to manually switch into 'audio out' from the 'receiver' mode with the headphoones on, the sound goes mute.... i guess it's no big deal as long as i do receive the sound when the headphones are on, regardless of which sound setting mode it occurs in but it kind of bothers me that something might be off kilter in my set up/connection...

i'm also starting to experience quite lengthy delays with my tv responding to its remote's commands [as long as 3-4 seconds from the moment any button is ppressed on its factory remote control] but i'll have to address that problem in the appropriate forum section, under my tv model's official users thread....
Is this the manual you are talking about: http://helpguide.sony.net/mdr/hw700ds/v1/en-us/contents/01/index.html

As per my understanding the headphones operate in stereo unless using the PL IIz or Neo:X matrix (and the matrix only works in Cinema or Game mode).

The delay between the headphone removal and the base unit turning off is normal. I use the headphones with my laptop during quiet movie viewings, so I appreciate having the delay as it crashes Total Media Theatre due to screen refresh. But I understand how it can be annoying.

Is this the manual you are talking about:

As per my understanding the headphones operate in stereo unless using the PL IIz or Neo:X matrix (and the matrix only works in Cinema or Game mode).

The delay between the headphone removal and the base unit turning off is normal. I use the headphones with my laptop during quiet movie viewings, so I appreciate having the delay as it crashes Total Media Theatre due to screen refresh. But I understand how it can be annoying.

thanks for the reply trigen...

so at least the isse with delayed shut off of my headphones/box seems to be settled and it's normal for it to take a few minutes before it turns off....

but i don't think i understand your answer re-manual... actually i downloaded the other, different manual from that sony page, the one in pdf format but i'm unable to link its address here [and had to delete your link in the quoted reply] since those with less than 5 posts here - like me - apparently can't post links in their posts....

in it, the illustration for hooking the headphones/box shows the optical cable hooked up between the headphones box and tv... however, the japanese language manual that came wiith my headphones/box AS WELL as the on-line manual in text format which you linked above shows only hdmi cable hooked up between the box and tv; and that's how my current connection is... i'm under the impression that my connection is also correct, am i wrong?....

now, are you saying that most audio content from my tv put through these headphones will in fact be only in the 2 channel stereo, and thus what i'm hearing [i.e. no surround effect] is perfectly normal?...that's how i understand your reply above... but if that's so, then these headphones will be mostly useless for me unless i'm viewing a movie/dvd which has that neo x option.... forgive my ignorance if i'm misunderstanding your reply but once again, i'm a total laiic when it comes to audio/video techie stuff....
i was under the impression that once i'd hook this headphone set/boox into my tv/blu-ray pplayer, i'd be ablle to hear through these headphones a full surround, multichannel effect on just about any modern movie....is that not so?....

i saw your reply notice in my e-mail box just as i was about too tuurn off my 'puter and get some sleep, i've been up for about 24 hours iif not more so i need to hit my rack asap... but wanted to get tthis reply oout before i do...i'll also have to go visit my mom/family at her place afterwards so i likely won't see any follow up replies until ttonight, about 12-15 hours from now....

however, i just want to put up my current headphones settings before i enter the la-la land, as i saw via on-screen display of the headphones' box:...
after i had pressed the 'menu' switch on the left earpiece the following screen displayed on my tv:

- exit
- status
- center level - 0 db
- lfe level - 0 db
- a/v sync - 0 ms
- dual mono - main
- tv plus hp audio out - off
- control for hdmi - on
- hdmi pass through - on
- front display mode - on

then, when i'd press it once more while the 'status' was highlighted, another set of settings appeared, as follows:

- decode - dts
- audio ch - 5.1 ch
- matrix - off
- input - tv/arc
- effect - cinema
- compression - off
- center level - 0 db
- lfe level - 0 db
- wireless - auto [5ghz band]
- headphones - charge level high

additionally, my [verizon fios] set top box 'audio format' is set to 'surround' mode ['mono' and 'stereo' are the only other optiions] in settings, under audio settings....

lastly my tv is set as follows in audio settings menu:

[under the 'speaker settings' sub category]:
- sound mode - movie [can't change this mode while headphones are on, btw]
- sound effect - [also not available/accessiblle for change with headphones on]
- 3d audio low [again, can't change w/headphones on]
- speaker settings - receiver [in this mode i can alternate changes between 3 modes - tv speaker, audio out, and 'receiver'... 2 more options are unavailable to me from this menu]

[under the 'additional settings' sub category]:
- audio format - dts neo 2:5 [pcm, dolby digital, dts, dts neo 2:5] only 'pcm' and 'dts neo' are available for changing the status with phones on, with headphones off, only pcm is available]
- audio delay - 110
- dolby digital comp - line
- auto volume - off

does any of the settings listed above need to be changed to hear true surround sound?.... or is the surround mode available only on a few select contents [such as blu-ray dvd] and not available while watchhing regular tv hd content?...i'm so friggin' confused at this point....

lastly, and rather an unconnected issue to the headphone issue....i'm also having increasingly deteriorating issues with my tv/remote as of last evening...the response of my tv to execute just about any action initiated by me via its remote [e..g. accessing 'menu', 'source', et al] is now getting outright ludicrous...often it'll take more tthan a whole minute or two for any functiion tto take eeffect... does anyone knoow what coulld be causing this rather sudden issue?...it can't be a weak battery in my remote since, weak battery [-ies] simply make the signal/light from remote unable to generate.... getting very frustrated....

41 - 60 of 365 Posts