AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 3829 Posts

·
Registered
9,173 Posts
This AVR just might make me finally replace my HK.

Looking forward to a few initial impressions or reviews.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Will the DN1080 pass Dolby Vision? I would hope so since Sony's top of the line TVs support DV.

Reactions: dasizzle

·
Registered
347 Posts
This AVR just might make me finally replace my HK.

Looking forward to a few initial impressions or reviews.
I always liked the look of HK receivers....they have a different look from all the others....I am amazed that in this day and age, HK still doesn't have a receiver that passes a 4K signal......I just checked their website....such a shame as I too am looking for a new receiver.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

·
Premium Member
90,290 Posts
Will the DN1080 pass Dolby Vision? I would hope so since Sony's top of the line TVs support DV.
Not likely as only HDR is referenced which does not imply Dolby Vision. Release for the new Sony 4k BDP indicates it currently cannot pass Dolby Vision and that Sony is waiting to see which way the market goes as to whether it will release a firmware update. The same is likely true for the new DN1080 AVR.

·
Registered
106 Posts
why to buy Receiver with HDMI standard outdated !

I waiting for HDMI 2.1

https://www.cnet.com/news/hdmi-2-1-what-you-need-to-know/
This is from the article you linked. I guess you didn't read it.

A TV bought in 2018 could very well have HDMI 2.1, but even it won't take full advantage of the connection's potential. And a TV bought today will be able to display video to its own full potential using HDMI 2.0. In other words, lack of HDMI 2.1 is no reason to put off buying a new TV.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The deal breaker for me is the inability to do 7.2.2, just 5.2.2

I've currently got a 7.2 setup with an old (venerable?) Onkyo 876. I have resisted upgrading to Atmos but at some point I will probably do it.

I'd like to only add two upfiring modules behind the front screen, they should bounce the sound right to the viewing sweet spot in the front row.

Most everything I have seen is only 5.2.2 and I really don't want to lose the use of my current back surrounds. What receiver(s) should I be looking at? 9.2 that support Atmos? 11.2 that support Atmos?

What I *think* I want is 7.2.2 but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The deal breaker for me is the inability to do 7.2.2, just 5.2.2

I've currently got a 7.2 setup with an old (venerable?) Onkyo 876. I have resisted upgrading to Atmos but at some point I will probably do it.

I'd like to only add two upfiring modules behind the front screen, they should bounce the sound right to the viewing sweet spot in the front row.

Most everything I have seen is only 5.2.2 and I really don't want to lose the use of my current back surrounds. What receiver(s) should I be looking at? 9.2 that support Atmos? 11.2 that support Atmos?

Same situation here, I'm eyeing a Marantz, I think we need to splash more cash...

·
Registered
3,769 Posts

If you have a 7.2 (7 channel) and want to expand it to 7.2.2 That would be a 9 channel AVR, closer to $1300+ for entry level. If you want 7.2.4 that would be 11 channel and over $2000+ for entry level.

1 - 20 of 3829 Posts