AVS Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 4238 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Highly doubtful unless the 75 also receives at least a $300 price drop.

Which it has to when you look at the pricing tiers.
If Costco adjust the 85” price down, that’d be awesome. I have 2 more weeks for that to happen. At -$300, that would get the 85” at the low point I thought it would hit before BF season.

The 75” is an odd ball because 65” TVs are going to really drop to the way 55” have been for days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Finally got my 75” today from VE. Very nice tv. Replacing an Panasonic plasma 54g10, Blacks are way better, looks as good as my Panasonic plasma 55VT60. Black bars are black, no blooming, watching Thor:Ragnarok on Roku Disney+ app as typing.
Had a problem at 1st with Netflix on the Roku, just a black screen, flipped over to Disney+ then back, it then when to Netflix screen. The remote is a remote, I am not that picky of a person, I wish the “Home” button was a different spot, I keep hitting it.

Setup: 9 feet from tv, Monoprice HDMI cables, ATT gig fiber, 2018 Roku Ultra (cat6 cable), Xbox One X (cat6 cable), dish-network 722 (I have to go under house and move some wires so I can get that services in this room), WiFi for tv, & OTA antenna.

Will add some Polk speakers and a Denon or Yamaha 2.1 HDMI receiver in the fall.

I tweaked some settings.

It in a dark room Roku Ultra:
Cinema mode
Light sensor Off
Brightness 35
Contrast 90
Gamma -2
Black level 50
Black adjust Med
Adv contrast enhancer High
Local dimming High
X-tended Dynamic range Off
Color 60
HUE 0color temp Expert 1
Live color Med
Default everything else

Very happy with the tv, one could think this is an OLED or Plasma the blacks are so good. Off angle viewing gives it away. Shadow detail is very good, I like SciFi movies/tv and WOW this is a nice tv, I can not wait to watch Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek on this. Audio is fine for a TV, but my JBL studio speakers in another room are well a lot better, Apples vs Carrots.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If Costco adjust the 85” price down, that’d be awesome. I have 2 more weeks for that to happen. At -$300, that would get the 85” at the low point I thought it would hit before BF season.

The 75” is an odd ball because 65” TVs are going to really drop to the way 55” have been for days.
How many days do you get to price adjustment?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Finally got my 75” today from VE. Very nice tv. Replacing an Panasonic plasma 54g10, Blacks are way better, looks as good as my Panasonic plasma 55VT60. Black bars are black, no blooming, watching Thor:Ragnarok on Roku Disney+ app as typing.
Had a problem at 1st with Netflix on the Roku, just a black screen, flipped over to Disney+ then back, it then when to Netflix screen. The remote is a remote, I am not that picky of a person, I wish the “Home” button was a different spot, I keep hitting it.

Setup: 9 feet from tv, Monoprice HDMI cables, ATT gig fiber, 2018 Roku Ultra (cat6 cable), Xbox One X (cat6 cable), dish-network 722 (I have to go under house and move some wires so I can get that services in this room), WiFi for tv, & OTA antenna.

Will add some Polk speakers and a Denon or Yamaha 2.1 HDMI receiver in the fall.

I tweaked some settings.

It in a dark room Roku Ultra:
Cinema mode
Light sensor Off
Brightness 35
Contrast 90
Gamma -2
Black level 50
Black adjust Med
Adv contrast enhancer High
Local dimming High
X-tended Dynamic range Off
Color 60
HUE 0color temp Expert 1
Live color Med
Default everything else

Very happy with the tv, one could think this is an OLED or Plasma the blacks are so good. Off angle viewing gives it away. Shadow detail is very good, I like SciFi movies/tv and WOW this is a nice tv, I can not wait to watch Star Wars, BSG and Star Trek on this. Audio is fine for a TV, but my JBL studio speakers in another room are well a lot better, Apples vs Carrots.

You should try it with the brightness lower in a really dark room. Also, the Sony’s light sensor works really well. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
IWhile I was testing my Fire Stick...

I think there's something seriously wrong with Amazon's implementation of CEC on the FireStick. I picked up a FireStick 4K at Christmas because they were dirt cheap. Hooked it up to my 850C and suddenly CEC didn't work for anything BUT the FireStick. Went through a bunch of troubleshooting which lead me to removing the FireStick from the equation and - BAM - everything started working the way it should. There was a thread on r/Bravia about someone that was having similar issues. He mentioned having a FireStick. I relayed my experience and the same thing worked for him. Removing the FireStick got everything else back to normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Waiting for my 85 inch! Replacing a 70inch Sony x690e that served me quite well for 2 and a half years but I'm ready for a big upgrade.
There aren't many options when it comes to this size, and even tho the hisense tv looked great in store they don't make an 85. I would have given Vizio or tlc a shot, but I doubt they'll be able present more quality and value than this TV when they put them out.
I bought based on specs alone and on my previous experience with Sony. Was about to get the 950h but I saw more value in this one and since it will have hdmi2.1 features soon, and I game in the little free time that I have so I jumped on it at 3.5k Canadian vs 5k for the same size 950h with no hdmi2.1.
Of course I'm nervous about the lack of reviews but I was quite encouraged by

https://youtu.be/jHVSkPqQtN8

He admittedly loves Sony tv but he seemed to have high hopes in this intro video. Full review should come in a couple days!

·
Registered
192 Posts
You should try it with the brightness lower in a really dark room. Also, the Sony’s light sensor works really well. Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Replaced my 4 1/2 year old 65X930D with the Costco model 65X90CH today. The 930D had a great picture for its time, but the 900H beats it hands down. Faster chip, sharper picture, great color, and the blacks are just awesome. DV and HDR are amazing on this set. Agree with using the light sensor, it's calibrated much differently than the 930D and keeps the brightness of the picture just perfect. As far as settings, right now just leaving it at Custom at night, and messing around between that setting and Cinema for daytime. Waiting for Vincent Teoh to do his review and see what settings he will be using before I change out, but I can't see any settings being better.

You can't beat Costco when it comes to price and warranty and the models they sell are no different than the big box stores. The set I bought is perfect, no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Can anyone comment on how these sets deal with stuff like starfields where there's a bunch of stars on a black background? I've been seriously considering going with a 75" of this model, but I saw this video today comparing LED to OLED with that sort of content and I was shocked at the difference. I don't know if it was just the Samsung used in the test, maybe a setting with the camera used to film the comparison, or what. I'm seriously curious on this. I've never owned an LCD TV (went from RPCRT to plasma) and I would have thought this wouldn't be this kind of an issue anymore or at least to the degree he's showing here.

edit: Just to be clear, I've gotta assume there's something off with the settings he used on the LCD (he mentions using "out of the box settings" whatever that means). So I'm just trying to double check that this is probably a one off bad case, somebody getting paid to make LCD look bad, or something.

https://youtu.be/226kWMOVGGc?t=200

·
Registered
69 Posts
edit: Just to be clear, I've gotta assume there's something off with the settings he used on the LCD (he mentions using "out of the box settings" whatever that means). So I'm just trying to double check that this is probably a one off bad case, somebody getting paid to make LCD look bad, or something.

Out of the box means he hasn't touched the settings just unpack it and test it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. So I just purchased an 85” from BB this past weekend. Installed it and have been tweaking over the past few days. I used the HDR settings from earlier in this thread (post 1967 I think). I am very impressed with this unit. Watched 1917 4K last night and it was incredible. Was torn between this set and the 77” LG CX but for the price difference I think this tv is a win.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Can anyone comment on how these sets deal with stuff like starfields where there's a bunch of stars on a black background? I've been seriously considering going with a 75" of this model, but I saw this video today comparing LED to OLED with that sort of content and I was shocked at the difference. I don't know if it was just the Samsung used in the test, maybe a setting with the camera used to film the comparison, or what. I'm seriously curious on this. I've never owned an LCD TV (went from RPCRT to plasma) and I would have thought this wouldn't be this kind of an issue anymore or at least to the degree he's showing here.

It's typical Samsung. They do tricks like crushing black details and limiting highlight output to mimic OLED behavior so their blacks can be as good as OLED. This usually causes heavy shadow detail loss and also makes the HDR impact really weak on their models. On top of this they have a very aggressive noise reduction algorithm that sometimes will even erase snow or dust from the scene...

If you wanna smear LED-LCD technology, Samsung is your best pick because their tricks are so artificial and easily exposed. Will make you think all LCDs are like that.

LCD is strongest at higher light output and thus HDR impact, and weakest at blooming and thus perform worse at dark, contrasty scenes.

In conclusion Sony LCD TVs don't behave like that because Sony doesn't crush black detail for artificial "true black". But you will definitely see more blooming on Sony LCD TVs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did the other steps you've previously mentioned, using HDMI4, an HDMI 2.1 cable, naming the input Game. Same picture settings, too. Nothing gets me past 1440p at 60Hz. Even when the nVidia control panel says a custom resolution of 1440p at 120Hz is successfully tested, the picture is all scrambled.

Would you provide your nVidia control panel settings to get 2560x1440 at 120Hz working? Or did you need to use CRU to get it working? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm in the same boat but it seems ReSultZ managed to get 1440p 120.
I've tried with HDMI 2.1 certified cable on HDMI 4 and with CRU, but the screen goes black and I have to manually force PC reboot.
These are CRU settings I used:

• Open the application;
  • Select "Sony TV *00 (active)" in the drop-down list (top left corner);
  • Under "Detailed resolutions", click on "Add";
  • Select "Automatic - LCD standard" as the timing;
  • Type in the necessary resolution (2560x1440) and refresh rate (120Hz) information;
  • Click on "OK". The new resolution should show up at the bottom of the "Detailed resolutions" list;
  • Select it and click on the"up" arrow until it's in the top position (that makes it your new native resolution);
  • Click on "OK" and restart Windows to apply the EDID override (DO NOT RUN restart64.exe);
  • Right-clicn on your desktop and select "NVIDIA Control Panel";
  • Navigate to Display > Change resolution;
  • Scroll down to the bottom of the "Resolution" list;
  • Under "PC", select "2560x1440 (native)", make sure to select 120Hz as the refresh rate and click on "Apply".

·
Registered
1 Posts
X900H with YouTube TV - audio sound bug?

I picked up the 65" at Costco 2 weeks ago. Very pleased with TV however I have an issue when streaming the native YouTube TV app... only the TV speakers work with that app! Netflix works perfectly with my Yamaha AV audio receiver. This seems to point to X900H firmware or a YouTube TV app bug. Does anyone else have this audio issue?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm in the same boat but it seems ReSultZ managed to get 1440p 120.

• Type in the necessary resolution (3840x2160) and refresh rate (120Hz) information;
  • Under "PC", select "3840x2160 (native)", make sure to select 120Hz as the refresh rate and click on "Apply".
It's not supposed to work like that, you're trying to run it at 2160p120 and obviously it wont work. The resolution needs to be 2560*1440 and you let the TV scale it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I picked up the 65" at Costco 2 weeks ago. Very pleased with TV however I have an issue when streaming the native YouTube TV app... only the TV speakers work with that app! Netflix works perfectly with my Yamaha AV audio receiver. This seems to point to X900H firmware or a YouTube TV app bug. Does anyone else have this audio issue?
It’s for reasons like that I stream via a Roku Ultra. It’s not just Sony, but makers do things with apps that aren’t specified so I don’t want to deal with them even if they’re supposed to be “better.” Netflix-calibrated is another example. Don’t like the settings they pre-made.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Tests like this are just to show the extremes of what TVs and tech can do. They don’t represent how many watch TV. If you’re going to be watching a lot of super dark content, the OLEDs the way to go. If you’re going to watch typical content - non-OLEDs just as viable. Sort of like the 0-100mph or 1/4 mile drag test for cars. They’re done to show what the car can do at extremes. However, 0-60mph + tons of other regular driving features and characteristics are why most cars are purchased. Otherwise, we’d all be driving around in 2-door road rockets.

OLEDs can be made to look bad to by switching from star field to hockey demos in consecutive scenes/flashes as the auto brightness limiters would go nuts trying to keep the color down during the ice white then reversing to do star field.

In addition, Jerryrig is known for testing the extremes. He’s not a true AV tester. I like his channel but more for the deconstructing. Wish he’d do that with a couple TVs rather than trying to show them off.

2121 - 2140 of 4238 Posts