AVS Forum banner

2161 - 2180 of 8613 Posts

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I read CNN's and Digital Trends' announcement re the P-Series Quantum X 2021 models.
As pointed out, the 85" (the size I will be buying) wont be available until the Fall. But articles state that the 65" and 75" will be available now.

What I am getting at is . . . we shouldn't have to wait until the fall to start seeing some comparison / reviews. I have a big blank spot on my wall. I am dying to fill it (the 10 year old 50" plasma has been sold) - so hard to be patient.

When I first saw the price of $3,000 I thought - well, that's it - Sony it is. But then I remembered the Sony unit being $3,500 ish and it is now $2,770 so what will the Vizio reallllly be priced at.

This is tough.
Also keep in mind that almost 800 dimming zones far exceeds the number of zones in the x900h and, in fact, exceeds even the 720 in the 85Z9G. It remains to be be seen if the Vizio compares to Sony visually in processing or dimming algorithms, or things like screen uniformity or color accuracy, but the hardware in that Vizio 85 inch seems like a great deal at its MSRP.

·
Registered
12,879 Posts
Glad to see some recent owners giving this set kudos in actual use scenarios. I decided I just can't wait for the 85" Vizio so I pulled the trigger today on the 900H, should be here in about a week. Can't wait!

Reactions: Youhall and ReSultZ

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got the 85" from Costco as well. The only issue I've had so far is gradient dark scenes. In the my pic there's a bright spot over the chair with smoke in the room. The pic is slightly worse than what's seen by the eye.

Anyone else having this issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
I got the 85" from Costco as well. The only issue I've had so far is gradient dark scenes. In the my pic there's a bright spot over the chair with smoke in the room. The pic is slightly worse than what's seen by the eye.

Anyone else having this issue?

I wish there was a youtube video to test this. Did you try the same clip on another TV?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wish there was a youtube video to test this. Did you try the same clip on another TV?

I haven't had a chance yet, I will tonight. I've had the tv about 2 weeks now and everything else is great. Vertical gradient isn't nearly as bad as circle. I also used a youtube video with various color circle gradients and had the same issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone noticing banding in HDR? Quantum TV on YouTube is saying the banding is terrible, but I'm wondering if that's something that can be fixed via a firmware update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZzFCDEXlBg

I've noticed some banding on a couple of YouTube videos, but I chalked it up to the videos themselves. Haven't noticed any banding outside of those few examples.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Part 3 of the review is up, and Quantum is super impressed with the color accuracy out of the box. The game footage shown looks pretty great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interested to hear other takes on this. He specifically mentions that this happens on the Youtube app. Any chance this problem is isolated to that?

See my posts above. For me, there's circular issues with regular tv. The vertical banding pic was from youtube app however

·
Registered
40 Posts
ATSC 3.0/NextGen tuner

I've had my 65" for a couple weeks now. The day before I received mine, the first local channel to support ATSC 3.0 flipped their switch, although I don't think they've actually broadcast anything higher than 1080p yet. Do we know if the NextGen tuner on this set is active yet, or are we waiting on a firmware update? It's been tough to find any concrete information on this feature.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why are people still watching Quantum? Anyway, to test banding you definitely should use the best material possible to eliminate problems coming from source. Colorful games can be ideal for that, and of course high bitrate video material. And to eliminate potential app related problem you should hook up your PC and watch the same videos through it to compare.

That banding on OldBoots pic is so horrible it probably has nothing do with the normal capabilities of the tv.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Banding cannot be mitigated on the X900H. You need smooth gradation for that.

Sony had implemented smooth gradation on the X1 on other models but this model doesn't come with a separate X1 VPU so they intentionally gimped the software on the 900H even tho it can be done on that fast SOC without issues to make the X1 processor worth the price increase just for it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
she is here :) (Costco Canada - online).... will unbox it tomorrow. She is going against 65B9 OLED. The loser is going back to Costco. I'm cheering for Sony, due to the size and burn-in scare.. I'm so tired of policing my family.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Does anybody have an Apple TV 4K and a Sonos Arc with your 900H? Does it successfully produce Atmos?

I'm looking to get a new TV so that my Apple TV can do Atmos with my Arc. But whether that works seems to depend on some incredibly fine details of how TVs handle passthrough etc. I'd rather know for sure.

I'm currently on a Sony X850C. It has served me very well so the 900H is at the top of my list if I go LCD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why are people still watching Quantum? Anyway, to test banding you definitely should use the best material possible to eliminate problems coming from source. Colorful games can be ideal for that, and of course high bitrate video material. And to eliminate potential app related problem you should hook up your PC and watch the same videos through it to compare.

That banding on OldBoots pic is so horrible it probably has nothing do with the normal capabilities of the tv.

Here's the same scene on my cheap Asus monitor. Again, pic is slightly worse than by eye but more in line with how I think the tv should be

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Banding cannot be mitigated on the X900H. You need smooth gradation for that.

Sony had implemented smooth gradation on the X1 on other models but this model doesn't come with a separate X1 VPU so they intentionally gimped the software on the 900H even tho it can be done on that fast SOC without issues to make the X1 processor worth the price increase just for it.
Do you think a software update can enable it on this TV?

·
Registered
116 Posts

He's a bit extreme with his opinions, but he is a professional calibrator. I'm just excited to see video content about this TV, and eagerly waiting the rtings and HDTVTest reviews.

2161 - 2180 of 8613 Posts