AVS Forum banner

2181 - 2200 of 5929 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
I switched out all of the hdmi cables and disconnected my fire tv 4K. I was watching YouTube on the internal app and had another reboot. I guess I’m exchanging this tv also. Hopefully the third 85” will be problem free. Besides this one has a couple of dirty finger looking spots and DSE jail bars. Also couldn’t get usb 3.0 drives to work with the blue USB port. Great picture though besides the DSE.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Can some other users please verify the banding on their sets? I would think and hope these problems would show up on simple/basic test patterns. I’m just baffled ANY modern tv would have this type of issues.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is the test video I randomly found which made me aware of my issue. If some of you can try it to see if it's just mine or a common issue, I'd appreciate it

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is the test video I randomly found which made me aware of my issue. If some of you can try it to see if it's just mine or a common issue, I'd appreciate it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpiTmunhBQ&t=61s

Since my 75x900h is still unboxed; I've tried this video in 1080p on my iphone xs max and LG 32" IPS 1080p monitor and both exhibit banding. This evening I will try this on my JVC rs420 projector 4k faux and 65B9 OLED (currently hijacked by kids).

EDIT: adding screenshot from LG 32" IPS 1080p screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Would love confirmation on the banding... I just ordered it from costco, but decided to cancel my order after seeing the banding comments lol. I've not heard of that Quantum guy, but he seemed weirdly critical of the tv while still praising the heck out of it. I got spooked!

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Does anybody have an Apple TV 4K and a Sonos Arc with your 900H? Does it successfully produce Atmos?

I'm looking to get a new TV so that my Apple TV can do Atmos with my Arc. But whether that works seems to depend on some incredibly fine details of how TVs handle passthrough etc. I'd rather know for sure.

I'm currently on a Sony X850C. It has served me very well so the 900H is at the top of my list if I go LCD.

Since the AppleTV passes Atmos as 5.1 PCM you will need to wait until Sony adds eARC to the 900H... that is coming but not might not be until the HDMI 2.1 update which is speculated to be in November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
76 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpiTmunhBQ&t=61s
Another Quantum video, wonderful! That video has bad compression, I'm seeing more banding (with Q6FN) than I see on any other material that I know to be of decent quality.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,188
Would love confirmation on the banding... I just ordered it from costco, but decided to cancel my order after seeing the banding comments lol. I've not heard of that Quantum guy, but he seemed weirdly critical of the tv while still praising the heck out of it. I got spooked!
No banding with HDR content.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This video will show color banding on any display because the video is compressed YouTube trash, the channel is too but that is a different matter. You need to test this with high quality source material.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Another Quantum video, wonderful! That video has bad compression, I'm seeing more banding (with Q6FN) than I see on any other material that I know to be of decent quality.
I totally agree it is a bad source. Most likely nothing to see here folks. ;)

Someone just replied on the youtube:

I watched all three of the HDR demos that were used for this video on my 65" X900H with HDR turned on. The second demo used here titled Morocco 8KHDR 60FPS (FUHD) gave me the same banding effect that I have never noticed over the 3 weeks that I've owned this TV. I watched the Morocco content on several other devices that I have that support 4K video and the results were exactly the same. The banding appears to be in the source video and my X900H is displaying the YouTube content correctly, banding and all! Again, I have not noticed any banding what so ever on any of the content I've viewed since I bought the TV and I have tried it with many different video sources. Anyone interested in this TV should not be put off by this review alone. Read & watch other reviews before making your final decision. For the price the X900H is an awesome TV with great features!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I totally agree it is a bad source. Most likely nothing to see here folks. ;)

Someone just replied on the youtube:

I watched all three of the HDR demos that were used for this video on my 65" X900H with HDR turned on. The second demo used here titled Morocco 8KHDR 60FPS (FUHD) gave me the same banding effect that I have never noticed over the 3 weeks that I've owned this TV. I watched the Morocco content on several other devices that I have that support 4K video and the results were exactly the same. The banding appears to be in the source video and my X900H is displaying the YouTube content correctly, banding and all! Again, I have not noticed any banding what so ever on any of the content I've viewed since I bought the TV and I have tried it with many different video sources. Anyone interested in this TV should not be put off by this review alone. Read & watch other reviews before making your final decision. For the price the X900H is an awesome TV with great features!
Yep, I see the same banding on my X950H. Enabling Smooth Gradation on the X950H DOES improve the banding but it doesn't fix those vertical artifacts that were also mentioned in that video. I am going to guess that this should not be an issue when using better sourced material.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Interested to hear other takes on this. He specifically mentions that this happens on the Youtube app. Any chance this problem is isolated to that?
I have not watch YouTube yet on this, but that looks like bad compression in the video, I also saw blocking in that video he showed. I have mostly (Roku ultra) watched the Disney+, News Now app, CBS news app and got my Dish network dvr going that room this after noon and seen no banding. The Disney+ splash screen has bad banding.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've had my 65" for a couple weeks now. The day before I received mine, the first local channel to support ATSC 3.0 flipped their switch, although I don't think they've actually broadcast anything higher than 1080p yet. Do we know if the NextGen tuner on this set is active yet, or are we waiting on a firmware update? It's been tough to find any concrete information on this feature.
ATSC 3.0 will be enabled in a firmware update. Sony has not said when.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Haven't we already confirmed directly from Sony that the X900H ALSO has the Smooth Gradation feature?

Yep, I see the same banding on my X950H. Enabling Smooth Gradation on the X950H DOES improve the banding but it doesn't fix those vertical artifacts that were also mentioned in that video. I am going to guess that this should not be an issue when using better sourced material.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2181 - 2200 of 5929 Posts