AVS Forum banner

22101 - 22120 of 22963 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Interesting. The U8G also disables local dimming in 4K120Hz...
I didn't know the U8G was doing that. Maybe sony felt like the local dimming for better contrast outweighed the need for full resolution? If I remember correctly, although a different chipset wasn't samsungs 2020 TVs turning off dimming in game mode entirely?

Perhaps the full array stuff takes a lot of processing and has to process twice as a fast at 120hz, hence this could be the fabled bottleneck?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Downsides? No local dimming being the main one. I would keep the X900H and wait for a software update.

I admit I have not looked into the X85J much at al to know what we would be missing.

I went ahead and contacted Sony support just to get my complaint in writing. Its comical how the agents act like this is the first time this issue has been mentioned and the technical engineer have had no reports of it before. I knew in advance it was useless, but wanted it documented anyway. If anyone gets bored and wants a good laugh do this. Its funny how you know they know, but are trained to act like they don't know, but can really no longer hide that the really know. My guys even came clean and admitted he knew how we all felt. He was a good sport none the less.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would hate for Sony to have a fix in their back pocket all along but delay it until the majority of the J lines sales have been realized. It’s been discussed many times that there isn’t a ton of added value in the 2021 line over what the 900h has. If Sony is purposely introducing some due to leaving the x900h unfinished that would be a media firestorm

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't know the U8G was doing that. Maybe sony felt like the local dimming for better contrast outweighed the need for full resolution? If I remember correctly, although a different chipset wasn't samsungs 2020 TVs turning off dimming in game mode entirely?

Perhaps the full array stuff takes a lot of processing and has to process twice as a fast at 120hz, hence this could be the fabled bottleneck?
Either way, I would prefer having local dimming turned off for full 4k120 rather than what we have now. If I'm playing a game that is pushing 120 fps, I don't care about how amazing the game looks or how deep the blacks are. I just want a crisp, nonblurry version. Some people will disagree, but that's just my opinion.

So now we know that the X85J is fine. Now the final piece of the puzzle would be the X91J which has the X1 processor with local dimming. If they fix it on that, we can assume the X900H should be good to go as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would hate for Sony to have a fix in their back pocket all along but delay it until the majority of the J lines sales have been realized. It’s been discussed many times that there isn’t a ton of added value in the 2021 line over what the 900h has. If Sony is purposely introducing some due to leaving the x900h unfinished that would be a media firestorm
If they had a fix, they would have deployed it. I think they were still tweaking a few things. From what I've searched on Baidu (I really dug deep and used google translate), 4k120 was still blurry on the X85J in April (maybe they had an early review copy?). Maybe it's a relatively new fix, and they're just starting to update the tvs. This is all assuming RTINGS is correct and it really is fixed on the X85J.

From the article posted in April-
"HDMI2.1 naturally supports 4K 120HZ signal input, but the actual test has slightly blurred fonts. The study found that X85J uses the same chip solution as Sony 9000H, that is, the SOC integrates the X1 standard image quality processing chip function, rather than independent Image quality processing chip, so X85J does not support smooth gradation function like 9000H, and 4K 120hz input screen font is slightly blurred."

Please use google translate.

·
Registered
294 Posts
“My 10-bit panel is showing posterization when playing 8-bit content!

Sony is the WORST!”

This thread needs a referee.
Almost everything OTHER than 4k disc for tv watching is 8 bit and much of streaming isn't even full 8 bit due to bit rate compression. So yeah a tv that handles 8 bit content well is super important. Even 1080p blu rays are only 8 bit. How much tv watching is done on 10 bit hdr 4k discs? Probably less than 1 percent for the average owner of this tv who uses it for tv.

Even the X80J has smooth gradation. Come on sony!

Full array local dimming is extremely over rated on this set. Go ahead and turn it off/on. Not a big difference. Noticeable sure in a dark room, but not a big difference. They should just give you guys the option of turning it off so you can have your non blurry 4k 120. I'd be wiling to turn off fald and getting smooth gradation when watching streaming. Oh and the x900h even with FALD on doesn't have as good of contrast as the x85j.

The reason a few people are getting so butt hurt about me posting about color banding is because they want a 1000 page plus thread with nothing but 4k/120 vrr stuff so they can make a case with sony for a exchange in the future. You guys already have your own thread for that.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For me, 120hz 4k with no local dimming would be a completely acceptable solution, and IMO within the range of not being false advertisement from Sony. Game mode processing has always been more limited than other modes, and if that's the tradeoff, I could live with it. Of course I'd prefer to have it on, but I would much rather not have a blurry 4k.

·
Premium Member
1,747 Posts
Conspiracy theory aficionado?

·
Registered
131 Posts
For me, 120hz 4k with no local dimming would be a completely acceptable solution, and IMO within the range of not being false advertisement from Sony. Game mode processing has always been more limited than other modes, and if that's the tradeoff, I could live with it. Of course I'd prefer to have it on, but I would much rather not have a blurry 4k.
If thats the case I just hope they give you the option of choosing between "blurry" 4k120hz or good 4k120 without LD.
I put blurry in quotes because I don't notice it at all on my XSX (but I recognize I'm in the minority here) so I'd prefer to having LD enabled.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If thats the case I just hope they give you the option of choosing between "blurry" 4k120hz or good 4k120 without LD.
I put blurry in quotes because I don't notice it at all on my XSX (but I recognize I'm in the minority here) so I'd prefer to having LD enabled.
I'm the same way. I notice it on text in some games on my XSX but prefer LD much more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Almost everything OTHER than 4k disc for tv watching is 8 bit and much of streaming isn't even full 8 bit due to bit rate compression. So yeah a tv that handles 8 bit content well is super important. Even 1080p blu rays are only 8 bit. How much tv watching is done on 10 bit hdr 4k discs? Probably less than 1 percent for the average owner of this tv who uses it for tv.

Even the X80J has smooth gradation. Come on sony!

Full array local dimming is extremely over rated on this set. Go ahead and turn it off/on. Not a big difference. Noticeable sure in a dark room, but not a big difference. They should just give you guys the option of turning it off so you can have your non blurry 4k 120. I'd be wiling to turn off fald and getting smooth gradation when watching streaming. Oh and the x900h even with FALD on doesn't have as good of contrast as the x85j.

The reason a few people are getting so butt hurt about me posting about color banding is because they want a 1000 page plus thread with nothing but 4k/120 vrr stuff so they can make a case with sony for a exchange in the future. You guys already have your own thread for that.
No, non of us are butt hurt we've just got common sense that if a feature isn't advertised we shouldn't cry about it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Heres an idea, make your own thread, seems fitting if you think 4k120 should have it's own as well.
And as said a little above me, no we are not butthurt, we just don't see a problem with a feature not being there when it was not advertised in the first place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Heres an idea, make your own thread, seems fitting if you think 4k120 should have it's own as well.
And as said a little above me, no we are not butthurt, we just don't see a problem with a feature not being there when it was not advertised in the first place.
I don't understand the point of another thread because the whole point of this thread is to talk about the X900H and its issues, and 4K120 has been the biggest issue so far. The same thing happened on reddit where the mods locked the HDMI 2.1 thread and merged it into a general fw thread and hid it under another helpful topics thread. They even lock up any new post about HDMI 2.1. The fact that they're going so far to stop people from talking about HDM1 2.1 issues is ridiculous. I understand that there are other issues with this TV, but look at other TV threads, they're mostly just one thread talking about the TV, and not 2 separate threads.

This was advertised to be a "ready for PS5" TV and so far it hasn't lived up to its expectations (at least when it comes to gaming), so you can understand why people are upset (me included). You can voice your own opinion here just as anyone else.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just posted this is the X90J owners thread, but I thought it may, or may not, be of some use to X900H owners, of which I was one until this week.

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony sent as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.
It's considerably brighter than the x900h, the motion seems to be smoother, less trails on sports etc, and the 4k 120hz gaming does indeed seem considerably sharper. At least on Warzone I have to say genuinely noticed the shaper image. I got very lucky in the panel lottery as well, no dead pixels, none if very little DSE, a tiny case of slightly darker corners, but not noticeable at all while viewing or playing any content. Perhaps the best LCD panel I have ever got, definitely better than my last Samsungs and TCL's.

The tv is also considerably less buggy than the x900h, no issues with software crashes/tv turning on and touchwood, it seems better with ARC.

I can reconfirm the TV still has issues with dropped atmos and regular dolby digital on Xbox Series X while using 4k 120hz, DTS works fine, but yeah, still drops on Dolby. That is over ARC anyway.

To anyone on the fence thinking about the X90J and if it is better than the X900H, I can safely say it is and to a more noticeable degree than I expected.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22,118 ·
Hmm... pictire settings NOT have, so-processors Sony CXD4760GG return back? Someone dismont radiators mainboard x85j.
Example older models x90e, x85f used three shipset mainboard: mt5832 + cxd4760gg(SBM) + mst741x(FRC).
what?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't understand the point of another thread because the whole point of this thread is to talk about the X900H and its issues, and 4K120 has been the biggest issue so far. The same thing happened on reddit where the mods locked the HDMI 2.1 thread and merged it into a general fw thread and hid it under another helpful topics thread. They even lock up any new post about HDMI 2.1. The fact that they're going so far to stop people from talking about HDM1 2.1 issues is ridiculous. I understand that there are other issues with this TV, but look at other TV threads, they're mostly just one thread talking about the TV, and not 2 separate threads.

This was advertised to be a "ready for PS5" TV and so far it hasn't lived up to its expectations (at least when it comes to gaming), so you can understand why people are upset (me included). You can voice your own opinion here just as anyone else.
I am absolutely convinced the bravia subreddit has a number of genuine Sony shills moderating. 3 weeks ago I posted a question asking if anyone was successful in returning their X900H due to the 120hz 4k issue, as well as any other bugs and issues. I think this was absolutely a fair question, and would give a lot of people an idea of the current playing field/reality around the current ownership situation of the TV. To be frank, it would be a benefit to the community. A lot of people have said they'd like to return the tv, either for an exchange or refund and you'd think if there's anywhere online where knowing how that process works/or is successful or not, it'd be a bravia subreddit.

Within an hour of posting, there was already 18 replies to the post with people saying they were interested in this also, and following. My post was taken down minutes later, even though it was obviously a topic of interest on the sub-reddit. One of the mods sent a deeply condensing message, coming across as a complete arsehole to be honest, about how the subreddit wasn't a place to "crowdsource" my return. What the hell was he even talking about? and also what's it to him if people wish to discuss or share stories of their return/exchange experiences. Hardly like it affects him. Anyway it was a bizarre argument and he came across as some kind of diehard Sony fan, akin to Sony being his sports team. Honestly, it was embarrassing even to read. Looking at his post history, this mod was one of the people saying time and time again how the 4k 120hz was no big deal, and people should't complain about it.

So make of that what you will.

·
Registered
284 Posts

I think you missed the sarcasm in yock1's post.

His comment was in retort to our banding lord who said the 4k120 posters should go to the other thread as his justification for us telling him he should take up his issue with sony as it was never an advertised feature, instead of just accepting an irrefutable fact, he decided that we are either sony fan boys or we want him to shut up so that the 4k120 posts aren't buried in this thread.

Tinfoil hat time again. Sheesh.

yock1, I understood the sentiment and got the sarcasm.

22101 - 22120 of 22963 Posts