AVS Forum banner

22121 - 22140 of 22962 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
I just posted this is the X90J owners thread, but I thought it may, or may not, be of some use to X900H owners, of which I was one until this week.

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony head as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.
It's considerably brighter than the x900h, the motion seems to be smoother, less trails on sports etc, and the 4k 120hz gaming does indeed seem considerably sharper. At least on Warzone I have to say genuinely noticed the shaper image. I got very lucky in the panel lottery as well, no dead pixels, none if very little DSE, a tiny case of slightly darker corners, but not noticeable at all while viewing or playing any content. Perhaps the best LCD panel I have ever got, definitely better than my last Samsungs and TCL's.

The tv is also considerably less buggy than the x900h, no issues with software crashes/tv turning on and touchwood, it seems better with ARC.

I can reconfirm the TV still has issues with dropped atmos and regular dolby digital on Xbox Series X while using 4k 120hz, DTS works fine, but yeah, still drops on Dolby. That is over ARC anyway.

To anyone on the fence thinking about the X90J and if it is better than the X900H, I can safely say it is and to a more noticeable degree than I expected.
Glad you got resolution to your dissatisfaction. Hopefully the others will follow your route.

Reactions: Joydivision84

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think you missed the sarcasm in yock1's post.

His comment was in retort to our banding lord who said the 4k120 posters should go to the other thread as his justification for us telling him he should take up his issue with sony as it was never an advertised feature, instead of just accepting an irrefutable fact, he decided that we are either sony fan boys or we want him to shut up so that the 4k120 posts aren't buried in this thread.

Tinfoil hat time again. Sheesh.

yock1, I understood the sentiment and got the sarcasm.
Yeah lol, sorry @Yock1. I was too quick to reply. My comment wasn’t trying to target you, just stating that the whole point of this thread is to talk about the X900H so it doesn’t make sense to talk about separate issues in different threads.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just posted this is the X90J owners thread, but I thought it may, or may not, be of some use to X900H owners, of which I was one until this week.

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony sent as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.
It's considerably brighter than the x900h, the motion seems to be smoother, less trails on sports etc, and the 4k 120hz gaming does indeed seem considerably sharper. At least on Warzone I have to say genuinely noticed the shaper image. I got very lucky in the panel lottery as well, no dead pixels, none if very little DSE, a tiny case of slightly darker corners, but not noticeable at all while viewing or playing any content. Perhaps the best LCD panel I have ever got, definitely better than my last Samsungs and TCL's.

The tv is also considerably less buggy than the x900h, no issues with software crashes/tv turning on and touchwood, it seems better with ARC.

I can reconfirm the TV still has issues with dropped atmos and regular dolby digital on Xbox Series X while using 4k 120hz, DTS works fine, but yeah, still drops on Dolby. That is over ARC anyway.

To anyone on the fence thinking about the X90J and if it is better than the X900H, I can safely say it is and to a more noticeable degree than I expected.
I am extremely jealous but at the same time ofc. very happy for you so congratulations! :)
Hope the new TV will be all that you hoped the 900H would have been.

I'm still waiting for the customer protection to get back to me.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Glad you got resolution to your dissatisfaction. Hopefully the others will follow your route.
I've been keeping mum about my current ticket with Sony since it's still ongoing, but there have been some very "interesting" statements on their part about the whole case, which I've kept documented. The last communication was Monday, when they said Customer Relations will call me within 2 days. It is now Friday morning and still no contact.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah lol, sorry @Yock1. I was too quick to reply. My comment wasn’t trying to target you, just stating that the whole point of this thread is to talk about the X900H so it doesn’t make sense to talk about separate issues in different threads.
No problem what so ever, sarcasm over the internet is not always the best. ;)
I also got what you were saying and i agree.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Genuine question, are you trolling?
Trolling is probably the most over used term. It's used by people when they can't handle that someone has a different opinion than them. A true troll doesn't care about the topic being discussed. They just want to stir up trouble. This is obviously not trolling. Follow my entire posting history. I started with the x900f....then returned it and went from there. The sony x900h biggest weakness is it's banding imo and many others feel the same way. I'm not the only one posting about this. It's a major legitimate problem to bring up in a forum. If the banding doesn't bother you, why even respond to me is really the question you should ask yourself. Who cares, right? Sony, a multi billion dollar international corp doesn't need a guy on a forum named starbuck88 to defend them.

·
Registered
65xh9096/NR676/Indiana Line Tesi 561-761-241/Teufel Reflekt/B&W Asw700
163 Posts
And right there could be the answer? Maybe not enough capability to run at 120hz and have the full array dimming active. Hopefully id it's the case they could give us the choice at least of choosing true 4k120 with no dimming, or what we have now... but have the option.
Tought the same thing, especially knowing that the HiSense do the same.

However, if this is really the “fix”, it’s another proof that Sony engineers (and all the other who used this chip and didn’t fully tested it) are a bunch of wild monkeys released in an office.

No offense to the monkeys.

·
Registered
65xh9096/NR676/Indiana Line Tesi 561-761-241/Teufel Reflekt/B&W Asw700
163 Posts
I am absolutely convinced the bravia subreddit has a number of genuine Sony shills moderating. 3 weeks ago I posted a question asking if anyone was successful in returning their X900H due to the 120hz 4k issue, as well as any other bugs and issues. I think this was absolutely a fair question, and would give a lot of people an idea of the current playing field/reality around the current ownership situation of the TV. To be frank, it would be a benefit to the community. A lot of people have said they'd like to return the tv, either for an exchange or refund and you'd think if there's anywhere online where knowing how that process works/or is successful or not, it'd be a bravia subreddit.

Within an hour of posting, there was already 18 replies to the post with people saying they were interested in this also, and following. My post was taken down minutes later, even though it was obviously a topic of interest on the sub-reddit. One of the mods sent a deeply condensing message, coming across as a complete arsehole to be honest, about how the subreddit wasn't a place to "crowdsource" my return. What the hell was he even talking about? and also what's it to him if people wish to discuss or share stories of their return/exchange experiences. Hardly like it affects him. Anyway it was a bizarre argument and he came across as some kind of diehard Sony fan, akin to Sony being his sports team. Honestly, it was embarrassing even to read. Looking at his post history, this mod was one of the people saying time and time again how the 4k 120hz was no big deal, and people should't complain about it.

So make of that what you will.
Remember that they locked intentionally the xh90 2.1 hdmi thread, and it was the most visited for obvious reason, with comments on every day
Now is all lost in the Sony firmware mega thread

·
Registered
82 Posts
Remember that they locked intentionally the xh90 2.1 hdmi thread, and it was the most visited for obvious reason, with comments on every day
Now is all lost in the Sony firmware mega thread
Yeah, honestly, why the hell would you even do that? The x900h was obviously by far and away the best selling model last year. Why hide its issues? Doesn't make any sense.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony sent as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.

And what about the HDR [email protected] posterization scare? Anything?

·
Registered
82 Posts
And what about the HDR [email protected] posterization scare? Anything?
Thankfully no issue for me. Haven't noticed a thing different than any other tv. That was my one small worry I had, but I'm happy to say at least for me that in my limited gaming at 4k 120hz I've noticed nothing untoward. I've been only played Warzone and a couple of games of fifa though, but yeah, looks great.

Oh I should add this, general color banding is MUCH better on the x90j over the x900h. Which obviously isn't a surprise, but even with smooth gradation on low (which I'm using) banding is way, way better.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Trolling is probably the most over used term. It's used by people when they can't handle that someone has a different opinion than them. A true troll doesn't care about the topic being discussed. They just want to stir up trouble. This is obviously not trolling. Follow my entire posting history. I started with the x900f....then returned it and went from there. The sony x900h biggest weakness is it's banding imo and many others feel the same way. I'm not the only one posting about this. It's a major legitimate problem to bring up in a forum. If the banding doesn't bother you, why even respond to me is really the question you should ask yourself. Who cares, right? Sony, a multi billion dollar international corp doesn't need a guy on a forum named starbuck88 to defend them.
Well although we may not see eye to eye on the premise of the issue, best of luck to you sir. Afterall, its a win win if they do add some sort of smooth gradation.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Looks like Costco is clearing out the last of the 85X90CH's at the Black Friday prices if anyone still interested (and has availability at their store).

·
Registered
294 Posts
Here's chicago med on hulu. I basically have to turn down the brightness to 5 or 0 in a well lit room to watch it otherwise it's horrific. The picture is 40 brightness in a well lit room on a 55 inch tv. This tv isn't super bright to begin with so 40 is not that bright. This isn't simply a "not advertised" feature being absent. It's a major flaw with this tv. No way banding should be this bad/obvious even without smooth gradation being present. The processing on this tv can't handle low bit rate content.(netflix/hulu/youtube) I'm praying they at least improve it a little with an update in the future. I don't for the life of me understand how sony considers this acceptable image quality from a 1k plus tv.
20210610_195513.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Interesting update. The X91J specs now show that VRR and ALLM are working out of the box (at least on their website). I've been checking that page every day, and I swear there was an asterisk next to them saying that they will be available in a future update.

Features specified in HDMI2.1
4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
Yes (for HDMI™3/4)
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
Yes (for HDMI™3/4)

They also changed the wording where they had separate Video Signal support for PCs and consoles.

Video signal support
HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p

They also removed the wording where it says "PS5 4k120 title required" and changed it to "4K: 3,840 x 2,160 pixels. Game title supporting 4K/120fps required." under the footnotes.

They removed the footnote where it said VRR and ALLM are coming in a future update.

Buckle up everyone, the next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Edit: Asterisk removed on the X900H specs
Features specified in HDMI2.1
4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM

Although on the Video Signal support, 4k120 is not listed. This is a bit concerning...

Video signal support
HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p

Edit 2: Asterisk gone on the X90J and X85J as well.

I suspect an update is coming soon!

·
Registered
129 Posts
So when I play Netflix on this tv I can't get a steady bit rate. It keeps going up and down randomly,from 1 mbps /480p to 15 mbps/2160 and vice versa.

Although I have a steady high speed fibre Internet (100 mb) I still can't get a fair watchable bit rate. I even switched from WiFi to ethenet cable with no luck.

Are there any settings I should change or modify in the tv?

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk

22121 - 22140 of 22962 Posts