AVS Forum banner

22141 - 22160 of 22962 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Interesting update. The X91J specs now show that VRR and ALLM are working out of the box (at least on their website). I've been checking that page every day, and I swear there was an asterisk next to them saying that they will be available in a future update.

Edit: Asterisk removed on the X900H specs

Edit 2: Asterisk gone on the X90J and X85J as well.

I suspect an update is coming soon!
Where there is smoke....

Reactions: MichaelScarn69

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've been keeping mum about my current ticket with Sony since it's still ongoing, but there have been some very "interesting" statements on their part about the whole case, which I've kept documented. The last communication was Monday, when they said Customer Relations will call me within 2 days. It is now Friday morning and still no contact.
Interested in what you have going on once you can share.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Interesting update. The X91J specs now show that VRR and ALLM are working out of the box (at least on their website). I've been checking that page every day, and I swear there was an asterisk next to them saying that they will be available in a future update.

Features specified in HDMI2.1
4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM
Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
Yes (for HDMI™3/4)
Variable Refresh Rate (VRR)
Yes (for HDMI™3/4)

They also changed the wording where they had separate Video Signal support for PCs and consoles.

Video signal support
HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p

They also removed the wording where it says "PS5 4k120 title required" and changed it to "4K: 3,840 x 2,160 pixels. Game title supporting 4K/120fps required." under the footnotes.

They removed the footnote where it said VRR and ALLM are coming in a future update.

Buckle up everyone, the next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Edit: Asterisk removed on the X900H specs
Features specified in HDMI2.1
4K120/eARC/VRR/ALLM

Although on the Video Signal support, 4k120 is not listed. This is a bit concerning...

Video signal support
HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p

Edit 2: Asterisk gone on the X90J and X85J as well.

I suspect an update is coming soon!
Well spring 2021 is almost over. Are they just going to remove 4k120 all together though??

·
Registered
145 Posts
So when I play Netflix on this tv I can't get a steady bit rate. It keeps going up and down randomly,from 1 mbps /480p to 15 mbps/2160 and vice versa.

Although I have a steady high speed fibre Internet (100 mb) I still can't get a fair watchable bit rate. I even switched from WiFi to ethenet cable with no luck.

Are there any settings I should change or modify in the tv?

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk
Works fine on mine. I don’t think 100mbps down is enough for 4K especially if you have multiple devices streaming at the same time. Maybe it’s the internet speed. Do a speed test on the TV. You can download a speed test app from the play store.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Scared for my luck that I updated to the x90j firmware and now the x900h one comes out fixes a bunch of stuff and I’m stuck on this one :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
Works fine on mine. I don’t think 100mbps down is enough for 4K especially if you have multiple devices streaming at the same time. Maybe it’s the internet speed. Do a speed test on the TV. You can download a speed test app from the play store.
As far as I know 25 mbps is the least recommended speed. I guess 100 mbps is good enough to handle 4k. When I tested Netflix, no body was at home. I'll install speed test and check later. I'm also thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix.

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Although on the Video Signal support, 4k120 is not listed. This is a bit concerning...

Video signal support
HDMI™ signal: 4096 x 2160p (24, 60 Hz), 3840 x 2160p (24, 30, 60 Hz), 1080p (30, 60, 120 Hz), 1080/24p, 1080i (60 Hz), 720p (30, 60 Hz), 720/24p, 480p
The 3840 x 2160p (120Hz) was removed a long time ago, I’m not sure I would look into it more than that at this point

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've been keeping mum about my current ticket with Sony since it's still ongoing, but there have been some very "interesting" statements on their part about the whole case, which I've kept documented. The last communication was Monday, when they said Customer Relations will call me within 2 days. It is now Friday morning and still no contact.
Can you tell us if it's good news or bad news for the X900H?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you tell us if it's good news or bad news for the X900H?
Yep once there's a resolution I'll post an update. I just called them to chase up the ticket since it's 2 days past the time frame they gave me.
All i can say is, i'll find out what their answer is by COB today or Monday. But i have a feeling i'll probably have to chase them up again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep once there's a resolution I'll post an update. I just called them to chase up the ticket since it's 2 days past the time frame they gave me.
All i can say is, i'll find out what their answer is by COB today or Monday. But i have a feeling i'll probably have to chase them up again.
Aaghh you tease! I really hope it’s good news.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just posted this is the X90J owners thread, but I thought it may, or may not, be of some use to X900H owners, of which I was one until this week.

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony sent as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.
It's considerably brighter than the x900h, the motion seems to be smoother, less trails on sports etc, and the 4k 120hz gaming does indeed seem considerably sharper. At least on Warzone I have to say genuinely noticed the shaper image. I got very lucky in the panel lottery as well, no dead pixels, none if very little DSE, a tiny case of slightly darker corners, but not noticeable at all while viewing or playing any content. Perhaps the best LCD panel I have ever got, definitely better than my last Samsungs and TCL's.

The tv is also considerably less buggy than the x900h, no issues with software crashes/tv turning on and touchwood, it seems better with ARC.

I can reconfirm the TV still has issues with dropped atmos and regular dolby digital on Xbox Series X while using 4k 120hz, DTS works fine, but yeah, still drops on Dolby. That is over ARC anyway.

To anyone on the fence thinking about the X90J and if it is better than the X900H, I can safely say it is and to a more noticeable degree than I expected.
And color banding and smoot gradation?

·
Registered
82 Posts
And color banding and smoot gradation?
All good. I was worried about this as well. Color gradation or lack of banding is significantly better than the x900h in my opinion.

I didn't notice any posturisation at 4k 120hz gaming either.

Sent from my SM-G770U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
TV: XBR65X900H / PS5
20 Posts
I just posted this is the X90J owners thread, but I thought it may, or may not, be of some use to X900H owners, of which I was one until this week.

I got my X90J in this week as well, which Sony sent as an upgraded replacement for the X900H (I had to pay $300 difference). I have to say my first impressions are very good as well, if anything, the TV has surpassed my expectations.
It's considerably brighter than the x900h, the motion seems to be smoother, less trails on sports etc, and the 4k 120hz gaming does indeed seem considerably sharper. At least on Warzone I have to say genuinely noticed the shaper image. I got very lucky in the panel lottery as well, no dead pixels, none if very little DSE, a tiny case of slightly darker corners, but not noticeable at all while viewing or playing any content. Perhaps the best LCD panel I have ever got, definitely better than my last Samsungs and TCL's.

The tv is also considerably less buggy than the x900h, no issues with software crashes/tv turning on and touchwood, it seems better with ARC.

I can reconfirm the TV still has issues with dropped atmos and regular dolby digital on Xbox Series X while using 4k 120hz, DTS works fine, but yeah, still drops on Dolby. That is over ARC anyway.

To anyone on the fence thinking about the X90J and if it is better than the X900H, I can safely say it is and to a more noticeable degree than I expected.
How did you manage to convince Sony to allow for an upgrade if you don't mind me asking?

I wouldn't mind paying a little bit for an upgraded TV....:sneaky:

22141 - 22160 of 22962 Posts