AVS Forum banner

2201 - 2220 of 8914 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Would love confirmation on the banding... I just ordered it from costco, but decided to cancel my order after seeing the banding comments lol. I've not heard of that Quantum guy, but he seemed weirdly critical of the tv while still praising the heck out of it. I got spooked!

I have yet to see any banding with this set for over 2 weeks now with every source material there is. I cant believe how much misinformation is being put in this thread to scare potential buyers like yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Would love confirmation on the banding... I just ordered it from costco, but decided to cancel my order after seeing the banding comments lol. I've not heard of that Quantum guy, but he seemed weirdly critical of the tv while still praising the heck out of it. I got spooked!
Wait until more reviewers get their hands on it, especially the ones that actually live with it long term and post comparisons with other TVs on various content. Some may disagree, but I like the quirkiness of FOMO's approach.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Another Quantum video, wonderful! That video has bad compression, I'm seeing more banding (with Q6FN) than I see on any other material that I know to be of decent quality.

I really have no clue who Quantum is tbh. I've only payed attention to Rtings & Vincent. I don't have any issues with any of my computer monitors or laptop with that video. Also, my projector isn't as bad as the tv. While it might not be the best video to use, it still can be used to compare between tv's & other sources

·
Registered
39 Posts
That horrific video was clearly encoded on purpose with extremely visible banding to troll you all.

Check here https://www.rtings.com/images/gradient.png if you have banding and how strong it is if it's there.

If that was the case every monitor, projector, etc would show the same. If everyone is getting the same thing, then it's reassuring. On other gradient tests I'm still getting some banding so I may have an issue with mine specifically

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the test video I randomly found which made me aware of my issue. If some of you can try it to see if it's just mine or a common issue, I'd appreciate it
I'm pretty sure these "Banding" tests are pretty much meant to fail and it seems almost "troll" like to post these as tests. This specific test looks like it's designed to show the bands (instead of actually being a smooth gradient, which when picture quality is poor, shows the bands). Look at any actual real world content and see if you notice any of this (some nature docs for example, or just content with sunsets). Do no use YouTube as a source for picture quality, YouTube compresses everything.

I would have no reason to believe that the X900h would perform notably worse than the X950H or X900F for banding and RTings has either no banding or very little banding in their reviews (scoring 8.9 and 9.0)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm pretty sure these "Banding" tests are pretty much meant to fail and it seems almost "troll" like to post these as tests. This specific test looks like it's designed to show the bands (instead of actually being a smooth gradient, which when picture quality is poor, shows the bands). Look at any actual real world content and see if you notice any of this (some nature docs for example, or just content with sunsets). Do no use YouTube as a source for picture quality, YouTube compresses everything.

I would have no reason to believe that the X900h would perform notably worse than the X950H or X900F for banding and RTings has either no banding or very little banding in their reviews (scoring 8.9 and 9.0)

I would have thought that as well. I agree about the compression, but it's the easiest way for mult people to conduct the exact test and keep a constant. Testing on my monitors, laptop, projector, 8 yr old plasma all performed better which is what caught my attention. If others have the same thing then great, but if not then I def want to exchange.

And to be clear, in no way am I trying to dissuade anyone one bit. This tv is fantastic and the screen uniformity of each color is perfect. However, if my panel isn't up to par I'd rather address it sooner than later. & I'd still go back for the same model

·
Registered
867 Posts

Man. I hope so. My old Sony I think 630 from 2015 has that real bad. Whole reason I got the 930 d and gave 630 to the kids. The banding on the 630 was pretty bad. Was looking at the 900 now because my 930 d has massive clouding on anything hdr. But had even worse luck with Samsung in the past, so sticking with Sony. I’m still debating the 900 or 950. Both seem to have pros and cons.

·
Registered
10 Posts
HTML:
I would have thought that as well. I agree about the compression, but it's the easiest way for mult people to conduct the exact test and keep a constant. Testing on my monitors, laptop, projector, 8 yr old plasma all performed better which is what caught my attention. If others have the same thing then great, but if not then I def want to exchange.

And to be clear, in no way am I trying to dissuade anyone one bit. This tv is fantastic and the screen uniformity of each color is perfect. However, if my panel isn't up to par I'd rather address it sooner than later. & I'd still go back for the same model
The issue is that you're expecting too much from the TV, if the source video has banding, which are present in these YouTube tests, this TV is not going to fix that. Look at real world content, and see if you notice banding.

See RTings overview of "banding"/Gradients: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient

And, see their comments on the X950H's handling of Gradients:

Bad color/gradient handling will cause the TV to introduce banding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Man. I hope so. My old Sony I think 630 from 2015 has that real bad. Whole reason I got the 930 d and gave 630 to the kids. The banding on the 630 was pretty bad. Was looking at the 900 now because my 930 d has massive clouding on anything hdr. But had even worse luck with Samsung in the past, so sticking with Sony. I’m still debating the 900 or 950. Both seem to have pros and cons.
1500$ difference.. 900 is the answer!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Can I ask a big favor of someone who owns an 85” x900h? Planning my wall mount, and need to know the distance from the top two VESA holes to the top (or bottom) edge of the TV. Any chance a kind soul out there would be willing to measure this for me?

Doesn’t have to be perfect. Within an inch or so would be great.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can I ask a big favor of someone who owns an 85” x900h? Planning my wall mount, and need to know the distance from the top two VESA holes to the top (or bottom) edge of the TV. Any chance a kind soul out there would be willing to measure this for me?

Doesn’t have to be perfect. Within an inch or so would be great.

Top holes to the bottom is about 21" and to the top of the tv is about 22"

·
Registered
39 Posts
The issue is that you're expecting too much from the TV, if the source video has banding, which are present in these YouTube tests, this TV is not going to fix that. Look at real world content, and see if you notice banding.

See RTings overview of "banding"/Gradients: https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/gradient

And, see their comments on the X950H's handling of Gradients:

Bad color/gradient handling will cause the TV to introduce banding.

You're prob right that I'm expecting too much. Just very surprised my average Asus monitor and 8 yr old Panasonic plasma handle it better. I would have thought the 900 and 950 would be better than both

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Never heard of that Quantum guy until now but he is the antithesis of “professional”. Won’t be watching that channel again.

For 900H owners I mostly sit straight on but our seats can be up to 15 degrees off axis. Do you guys notice raised blacks in a dark room within that range? Interested in the 85” and we sit about 15’ away. I have time so probably going to wait for reviews on the Vizio Quantum X as I’m guessing the 85” should be similar when out in the fall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since the AppleTV passes Atmos as 5.1 PCM you will need to wait until Sony adds eARC to the 900H... that is coming but not might not be until the HDMI 2.1 update which is speculated to be in November.
The situation is so confusing between how the Apple TV sends Atmos and the Sonos Arc not being able to accept LPCM (supposedly coming in an update "this year"). I have given up on trying to reason out whether it should work and just see if anyone has tried

Apple TV 4K -> 900H -> Sonos Arc

in order to settle the issue one way or another. For example, apparently it works right with the LG CX but not with the LG C9 even though they both have HDMI 2.1. Encoding choices in the firmware making the difference!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Waiting for my 85 inch! Replacing a 70inch Sony x690e that served me quite well for 2 and a half years but I'm ready for a big upgrade.
There aren't many options when it comes to this size, and even tho the hisense tv looked great in store they don't make an 85. I would have given Vizio or tlc a shot, but I doubt they'll be able present more quality and value than this TV when they put them out.
I bought based on specs alone and on my previous experience with Sony. Was about to get the 950h but I saw more value in this one and since it will have hdmi2.1 features soon, and I game in the little free time that I have so I jumped on it at 3.5k Canadian vs 5k for the same size 950h with no hdmi2.1.
Of course I'm nervous about the lack of reviews but I was quite encouraged by

https://youtu.be/jHVSkPqQtN8

He admittedly loves Sony tv but he seemed to have high hopes in this intro video. Full review should come in a couple days!
Full review is up and he loved it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
The situation is so confusing between how the Apple TV sends Atmos and the Sonos Arc not being able to accept LPCM (supposedly coming in an update "this year"). I have given up on trying to reason out whether it should work and just see if anyone has tried

Apple TV 4K -> 900H -> Sonos Arc

in order to settle the issue one way or another. For example, apparently it works right with the LG CX but not with the LG C9 even though they both have HDMI 2.1. Encoding choices in the firmware making the difference!

Without eARC it will not work.

ARC only supports 2 channel PCM.

It’s not an issue for the Sonos... it has to decode PCM MAT to be an Atmos product.

It’s one of the limitations of the Sonos (menacing it only has an ARC/eARC HDMI input...)

AppleTV and the Xbox One (games and streaming, not BR playback) send Atmos as MAT PCM...

The 900H internal apps will send Atmos via ARC as DD+.

There are other Atmos soundbars with additional HDMI inputs.

But if you can’t wait for the firmware update you should look at your other choices for a display or another sound bar.

2201 - 2220 of 8914 Posts