AVS Forum banner

2241 - 2260 of 4168 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Could someone tell me how tall the stands/legs are specifically? Just trying to see if I can fit m sound bar under the tv.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're prob right that I'm expecting too much. Just very surprised my average Asus monitor and 8 yr old Panasonic plasma handle it better. I would have thought the 900 and 950 would be better than both
Are those also 4k and whatever " your TV is? If not, you're comparing oranges to apples.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After two years of reading and researching, I bought the 75" X900H so now I can actually weigh in.

First off, QuantumTV's eye and mine aren't the same. And based on everything I've seen over the years, I would say only take his opinions into consideration if you like the settings he uses on TVs. He seems to be focused on vibrant images for gaming, and, since this is a TV a lot of gamers are looking at, you might find him useful, but he's not the "#1 brand in honesty" for me.

My previous TV is the 55" Panasonic VT50. I wept when I bought that thing. I cried when I realized it was too small after we moved into our new place. I am plasma's weepy, little b*tch. So the likelihood that any TV could ever make me as happy as that TV did was very unlikely. But I gotta say - the X900H comes surprisingly close.

Our new living room has a huge window behind the couch, so brightness is a thing I had to take into account. I picked the X900H because I like the way Sony panels/chipsets handle movies and also because of the future VRR and ALLM support. Basically I want it all -- movies and gaming. Some things I've noticed so far:

THE GOOD
- I'm using the medium setting for FALD and the blacks are pretty darn black
- the UI is honestly fast, way more responsive than I was expecting
- after turning off most of those unnecessary settings, I found movies to look very filmic, whether I was watching in 1080p or 4k
- once I switch over to Game mode on the preset options, lag is basically non-existent and games look bright and beautiful

THE LESS GOOD
- blooming is unpredictable, but it does tend to happen here and there although not as much as I thought it would
- I find I constantly have to double check settings to make sure they haven't reverted for some reason. Hopefully a future update corrects that
- Vignetting in the corners is a thing, although, like with blooming, it's not always there
- DSE is just noticeable enough on a white screen that, if I watched a lot of hockey (I don't, but you might), it could get bothersome

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS
- I haven't seen any banding on my panel yet, but standard definition stuff is something I'm still tweaking
- I had to replace all my old HDMI cables because the motion seemed off. The second I did that, though, all those issues vanished
- HDR is something, as plasma's little b*tch, I don't really know a lot about, but it seems... fine? My gut says there's better out there, though

All in all, I'm really happy so far. We'll see how I feel when eARC, VRR, and ALLM are all available and I'm hooking up my PS5. But I think I made the right decision. Anyway, thanks for reading and also for helping me choose a TV. More than any reviewer, calibrator, or YouTube host, this place has provided the most pragmatic, useful advice.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Is there an app on TV to try dolby vision? I tried vudu app but can only play hdx in playback when I own it in uhd.
If you have Premium Netflix, try Altered Carbon or Stranger Things. On Prime there's Hana, Goliath, and Carnival Row. I think most of their newer series are in DoVi.

·
Registered
605 Posts
From the top hole to the bottom of the tv its about 21". It has a 400x400 vesa mount
Bottom to center of VESA mounts is 5.75”. The mount pattern is not centered on the TV, but that’s ok. Allows for mounting from a slightly lower height to get the same height look.

Wish Sony included a longer power cord though. It’s just a bit short and has to be replaced for my mounting situation.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Erase that crap from your brain. It really is crap. That guy- Quantum is crap. I'm not trying to sell you, but I hate that they put that fear in you like that. I really wish Quantum's videos could be banned from the site. If you really want to wait then do, and wait for Vincent's review, or even rtings. Seriously, I don't think you'd be unhappy with the 900H.
The more I watch of Quantum, the more annoying he gets. He makes some good points, but he seems to favor the value brands because they are cheaper. He also shows nothing but 4K content, and doesn't test cable TV, sports, etc. I know for a fact that Hisense will have a softer image watching cable TV, because I own the H8G. I'll have to compare it to my Sony x900H when it arrives next week. I don't know about most people, but I don't watch strictly 4K content. I watch mostly cable TV, sports, and some 4K content on Netflix and Prime Video/Disney +. That's why his reviews are a little misleading IMO.

I am getting a little concerned with banding though, as I see reviews on Costco and Best Buy with people complaining about it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Bottom to center of VESA mounts is 5.75”. The mount pattern is not centered on the TV, but that’s ok. Allows for mounting from a slightly lower height to get the same height look.

Wish Sony included a longer power cord though. It’s just a bit short and has to be replaced for my mounting situation.

You mean from the bottom of the tv to the first set of vesa holes correct? I had assumed the mount pattern would be the same on this tv like my old 900F but's it's definitely not centered (after comparing pictures of both models online). I had already patched up the wall and left the top 3 holes from the old mount thinking I could reuse them as a guide (for the new mount). It looks like I might be drilling all new holes to achieve the same height I had before. Oh well, not a big deal overall.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone else see the below color banding in the app search page on their sets? Or is it what the source material intended? Thanks.

The picture is supposed to be that way as mine is showing that somewhat but mine isn’t nearly as pronounced. I would imagine your settings are different than mine. My brightness setting is at 20 with the light sensor on. My settings are located earlier in the thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Part 3 of the review is up, and Quantum is super impressed with the color accuracy out of the box. The game footage shown looks pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIjUCFg64fg

Did I hear him correctly? Did he say, "The picture on the phone is exactly what I'm seeing with my eyes?" Between that comment and the "banding test" he posted that I just started to watch (I didn't finish watching it - it's obviously fundamentally flawed), I don't put a lot of stock in this dude.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone else see the below color banding in the app search page on their sets? Or is it what the source material intended? Thanks.

Hey all, wanted to chime in here after hearing about all this banding talk. I almost pulled the trigger on the 65 inch x900h but cancelled my order until I can see some better tests on this (Rtings, Vincent). I have a 49 inch x900e, and below are two comparisons on how the x900e handles banding with smooth gradation turned OFF (along with other noise reduction settings to off). I am just providing these as reference on how the x900e handled these items, since some people may be coming here without a comparison.

One is from the internal google store search, the other is from the 'morocco 8k hdr' youtube video, focused on the sky at 19 seconds in.

The 'showtime search' example does not show the extreme banding as provided earlier in the thread.

The 'morocco sky' does show banding, but it does not appear as extreme or noticeable as in quantum's video.

I'll be holding off my purchase for a bit... may go with the x950h if more reviewers are having gradient / banding issues.

Attachments

2241 - 2260 of 4168 Posts