AVS Forum banner

2341 - 2360 of 5463 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
This guy is a clown. I guess controversial videos like this get him more views.
I don't know if his unit failed or not but he can obviously just get it replaced.

The only TV reviewer whom I respect is Vincent from HDTVTest.
Yeas but last videos from Quantum are not bad enough. You can take some useful information from there

·
Registered
30 Posts
NOT with normal content (HDR movies, cable TV). Only on selected (compressed) youtube videos.
Do you work for Sony or what? This tv has banding issue. Here are photos of menu background from few pages back of X900H and X900E with smooth gradation turned off.

X900H

X900E - smooth gradation turned off

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, just own one. And watch it every day. I like it. If you dont, just buy a different TV. I dont watch menus long enough to notice that :D

·
Registered
323 Posts
Where's the proof it's not 10-bit. If so, let's get it out there so Sony can answer to us all.
If a TV can take in a 10 bit signal then they can call it a 10 bit TV, but they don't even do that - they display DV so we know the TV accepts a 12 bit signal too, but the internal hardware and panel is what matters, and Sony does not mention it's capabilities. Sony also does not mention bit level on their OLED line either.

One option is to find the p/n of the Sony panels and look those up. Even if they don't list 8/8+frc/10 they will list number of colors: 8 bit = 16.7 Million, 10 bit = 1.07 Billion. It takes a lot of dithering to make up over 980 million shades and great processing can do that decently, which is what the 950 seems to be offering.

Again, LG, Samsung, etc. advertise 10 bits and sometimes the 1.07 billion color thing and those sets do not have the color banding seen on the x900's. It's one of the biggest reasons for the cost difference.

This thread just needs more owners' pictures showing quality content (Blu-rays, test slides, etc.).

·
Registered
18 Posts
No, just own one. And watch it every day. I like it. If you dont, just buy a different TV. I dont watch menus long enough to notice that :D
Dude, what is up with the snarky replies? If you don't like people discussing the negative aspects of this TV, then how about you stay the **** away from this thread? I can't stand it when people get their panties in a bunch, because they don't like hearing anybody talking negative about something they bought. Grow up.

To the issue at hand, unfortunately I can 100% confirm the banding issue, especially in comparison with the 900e. I have both TV's setup right now. Contrast and HDR seem to be way better on the 900h, it's significantly brighter as well, like... really ****ing bright and the black levels are fantastic. Everybody who is concerned about it potentially being too dimm in comparison to the 950h, don't be.

The banding however... i'm honestly considering returning this unit and maybe sticking with my 900e for another year or so. You definitely notice it way less on 4k, DV content through netflix, but there are noticable differences when it comes to YT videos compared to my 900e. Like, some banding is inevitable given the compression rate of YT and i do have banding on my 900e as well on certain videos, but there is a clear difference in how visible it is to my eye. It becomes very apparent using the gradation test on the TV calibration app.

If anybody wants me to, I can try and take some pics for better comparison in a few hours.

Edit: Oh so I just noticed, the other day I actually turned off the smooth gradation and local dimming on my 900e to test if I notice an improvement in input lag. I just turned the smooth gradation back on and what can I say... even when it was off the 900e handled the banding better, but now there's a SIGNIFICANT difference between both TV's. This is really making me salty... not sure if I can just stop noticing that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't ask, just give us those pics! :)
I just did a little video with a direct comparison. It's uploading right now ;-)

It's honestly pretty bad. So bad in fact that i'm wondering if this might be an issue that is caused by outdated or not properly calibrated firmware...

Also, the comparison pics you've posted above are pretty spot on. Looks about the same on my sets.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I just did a little video with a direct comparison. It's uploading right now ;-)

It's honestly pretty bad. So bad in fact that i'm wondering if this might be an issue that is caused by outdated or not properly calibrated firmware...

Also, the comparison pics you've posted above are pretty spot on. Looks about the same on my sets.
I don’t have the expectation that a TV can fix source-based problems. Never understood why TV owners think this way. If a sound recording is made with a frequency gap, even the best system can’t fix it. Can try to address issues around the gap but can’t fix it. Same for TVs.

When there’s banding, it’s always source-based. I just don’t see how it’s the TV’s issue when there’s no banding with 4K BR discs and high-quality, minimally compressed 4K stream.

The upscaling from 1080p is pretty strong, but it’s easy to tell an upscale image, and I don’t expect this or any other TV to make them look 4K when upscaling essentially adds info that wasn’t there.

I think the discussion of what this TV can do generally is that it’s good but not perfect, probably one of Sony’s best and affordable choices, and a solid pick at the 85” price for the price.

There will be other better TVs. That’s just the way tech works. Some of the faults Sony can fix via updates might happen or they may not. But if you’re planning on getting a better TV right now, there aren’t many at this price to buy today. Might be in a few months. Just not right now.

Don’t work for Sony. Didn’t think I’d ever buy another Sony after some issues I had with them years ago. That said, this TV definitely hits a mark. I can’t wait for it to drop in price over it’s life-cycle so I can consider replacing the 65” TVs I have.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Notice right at the end when I film the lower right corner. It get's really apparent there and to be honest, due to the camera quality and the compression it looks even more noticable in real life while the gradation on the 900e looks smoother in real life. There are clear lines of seperation between the gradients where as the 900e manages a pretty smooth gradient throughout.

I used the exact same test app, so no bull**** test video from this Quantum TV idiot. I've also watched a few of Jacob and Katie Schwarz's videos. There's some clear banding going on whenever you see the sky that is not even nearly as pronounced on the 900e. I don't know if i'm being too sensitive here, but i find this unacceptable for a TV that's three generations ahead.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don’t have the expectation that a TV can fix source-based problems. Never understood why TV owners think this way. If a sound recording is made with a frequency gap, even the best system can’t fix it. Can try to address issues around the gap but can’t fix it. Same for TVs.

When there’s banding, it’s always source-based. I just don’t see how it’s the TV’s issue when there’s no banding with 4K BR discs and high-quality, minimally compressed 4K stream.

The upscaling from 1080p is pretty strong, but it’s easy to tell an upscale image, and I don’t expect this or any other TV to make them look 4K when upscaling essentially adds info that wasn’t there.

I think the discussion of what this TV can do generally is that it’s good but not perfect, probably one of Sony’s best and affordable choices, and a solid pick at the 85” price for the price.

There will be other better TVs. That’s just the way tech works. Some of the faults Sony can fix via updates might happen or they may not. But if you’re planning on getting a better TV right now, there aren’t many at this price to buy today. Might be in a few months. Just not right now.

Don’t work for Sony. Didn’t think I’d ever buy another Sony after some issues I had with them years ago. That said, this TV definitely hits a mark. I can’t wait for it to drop in price over it’s life-cycle so I can consider replacing the 65” TVs I have.
But this is a system issue. It's partly sourced based, not one or the other. A bad source will always look bad, yes, but there are still clear differences between my TV sets on the same source. The highest quality youtube videos available should not look that bad in terms of banding. I'm not saying that it should look as good as a 4k bluray either.

And i'm also not saying you should be bothered by this if this doesn't concern you, but there is clear proof that the banding we're talking about is not an issue of the source. I notice a clear difference between the 900e and the 900h on the same videos. If you take the same video and see the over 3 year old predecessor of this line performing significantly better in that department, than that is an issue that needs to be pointed out.

Saying that 4k Blurays are the benchmark to pass and nothing below that matter is just arguing in bad faith. Most of us stream via netflix, watch a ton of youtube content on these TVs and even use them extensively as secondary PC monitors (like myself). To me this is a pretty big letdown. No false expectations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So is smooth gradiation something that Sony could add via firmware update? If the banding is this bad, it might be a deal breaker for some. I sort of wish I waited to order my 65", and now it's being delivered Tuesday. At least Costco returns are easy, if there's a problem.

This is really weird, especially for a Sony which is known for their video processing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So is smooth gradiation something that Sony could add via firmware update? If the banding is this bad, it might be a deal breaker for some. I sort of wish I waited to order my 65", and now it's being delivered Tuesday. At least Costco returns are easy, if there's a problem.
That's what i'm wondering as well. I really don't have any other issue with this TV. It seems to be a proper upgrade in every other area, except for the banding. This is really bumming me out.

·
Registered
787 Posts
75X900H only after a day of testing lost its battle with 65B9 OLED and it is going back to Costco Canada. Overall I hate to say but I'm disappointed. I had no issue with screen uniformity, DSE or blooming.
However IMHO the picture was dull overall and it lacked a punch. Even my wife (who is not picky at all) noticed this right away. I've tried content from 480i to 4k remux rips. I honestly hoped Sony will blow LG OLED out of the water in upscalling and brightness, but it didn't. Also B9 doesn't exhibits any banding issues, although it is not as good as C9/CX OLED. Even with burn-in scare, I couldn't justify going with 900h. Please do not get me wrong, it is nice set but when it comes to PQ, B9 is just on another level.

·
Registered
39 Posts
But this is a system issue. It's partly sourced based, not one or the other. A bad source will always look bad, yes, but there are still clear differences between my TV sets on the same source. The highest quality youtube videos available should not look that bad in terms of banding. I'm not saying that it should look as good as a 4k bluray either.

And i'm also not saying you should be bothered by this if this doesn't concern you, but there is clear proof that the banding we're talking about is not an issue of the source. I notice a clear difference between the 900e and the 900h on the same videos. If you take the same video and see the over 3 year old predecessor of this line performing significantly better in that department, than that is an issue that needs to be pointed out.

Saying that 4k Blurays are the benchmark to pass and nothing below that matter is just arguing in bad faith. Most of us stream via netflix, watch a ton of youtube content on these TVs and even use them extensively as secondary PC monitors (like myself). To me this is a pretty big letdown. No false expectations.

This was exactly my point earlier. If my older monitors, 8 yr old tv, etc are handling the same (crappy) source better I see that as a problem. I'd expect this tv to at least be on par with those

·
Registered
76 Posts
One problematic area of banding are games, especially colourful ones. And it's hard to argue they are low quality source. For example, even though XF90 has good results on rtings gradient test it still showed visible banding when I tried it with games. However, enabling smooth gradation completely fixed the issue. Not having smooth gradation on XH90 feels like a slap in the face.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dude, what is up with the snarky replies? If you don't like people discussing the negative aspects of this TV, then how about you stay the **** away from this thread? I can't stand it when people get their panties in a bunch, because they don't like hearing anybody talking negative about something they bought. Grow up.

To the issue at hand, unfortunately I can 100% confirm the banding issue, especially in comparison with the 900e. I have both TV's setup right now. Contrast and HDR seem to be way better on the 900h, it's significantly brighter as well, like... really ****ing bright and the black levels are fantastic. Everybody who is concerned about it potentially being too dimm in comparison to the 950h, don't be.

The banding however... i'm honestly considering returning this unit and maybe sticking with my 900e for another year or so. You definitely notice it way less on 4k, DV content through netflix, but there are noticable differences when it comes to YT videos compared to my 900e. Like, some banding is inevitable given the compression rate of YT and i do have banding on my 900e as well on certain videos, but there is a clear difference in how visible it is to my eye. It becomes very apparent using the gradation test on the TV calibration app.

If anybody wants me to, I can try and take some pics for better comparison in a few hours.

Edit: Oh so I just noticed, the other day I actually turned off the smooth gradation and local dimming on my 900e to test if I notice an improvement in input lag. I just turned the smooth gradation back on and what can I say... even when it was off the 900e handled the banding better, but now there's a SIGNIFICANT difference between both TV's. This is really making me salty... not sure if I can just stop noticing that.
I like people discussing anything. I even like you. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I plan on setting my tv up today. With work and whats going on in the world I haven't had time to set it up despite having it for almost 2 weeks.

With regards to banding (which has literally taken over this thread), can we get some owners to chime in? I know some have but maybe with a little bit more info to help everyone out? I see a lot of worried and concerned owners and possible future owners so maybe that will help.

If you have the tv set up and have been using it, can you report back the size you have, your experience with movies, games, etc. ? If you want to include where you bought it from, that might also be good. I honestly don't care if I see banding in a menu. As long as it isn't visible while watching movies or playing games, then I am good with that.

I purchased mine from Costco (85" model). Hopefully I can report back tonight or tomorrow with my findings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I like people discussing anything. I even like you. :)
I like you, too. I'm sorry for being agressive earlier. This whole thing put me in a really bad mood. Just thinking about returning this huge beast of a TV is such a hassle and i wanted to love this TV.

Cuthalu said:
One problematic area of banding are games, especially colourful ones. And it's hard to argue they are low quality source. For example, even though XF90 has good results on rtings gradient test it still showed visible banding when I tried it with games. However, enabling smooth gradation completely fixed the issue. Not having smooth gradation on XH90 feels like a slap in the face.
It absolutely does. The 900e and 900f did it fantastically, why scrap that feature? I just don't get it. I haven't even gotten around to testing any games, but that blows even more. I'm a huge gamer. I'll probably be contacting Sony and asking them about the lack of smooth gradation before returning the TV outright to my retailer. Isn't this pretty much the same processor with more horse power?

I also haven't tested any upscaling of older content, but my uneducated guess would be that smooth gradation is a big reason for why Sony TVs where were so effective when it comes to upscaling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
No. Just check my previous post on this page with screenshots. Same source without banding for both TVs and guess what, there is banding on x900H.
To be fair, he is right in that banding is introduced solely by the source, it's just a matter of how good the TVs processing algorithms are in mitigating the issue.

I'm sure that uncompressed 4k Bluray sources look fantastic with or without smooth gradation, but how many of us are realistically only watching Blurays with this TV? In Netflix it is also not that noticable, which is not to say that banding is not present there as well. Because it is to some degree and now that i've focused in on it so much, I doubt that I can unsee it.

The lack of SG is a huge negative for this TV, sadly.

2341 - 2360 of 5463 Posts