AVS Forum banner

2421 - 2440 of 4211 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not an entirely unfair dismissal — for many, even the built-in apps would be an easy and totally functional replacement.

However, in an all-Apple household, I do get value out of more than just the generic YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and even Apple TV apps that I could otherwise get from a Roku stick or Android TV. HomeKit hub, a few apps, e.g. iCloud photos, etc... and those aerial slo-mo screensavers of course. ;)
Makes sense, But can't you just do all of that from your phones and iPads anyway casting to the TV? I guess I'm trying to find a way to justify a $200+ piece of equipment that presents problems into my system when I can do everything it does from my $2000 iPhone...seems redundant. I don't own an Apple TV obviously, maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I posted previously that I’ve had ARC issues when switching from an external device connected to my AVR to the internal apps and vice versa. I had to do a soft reset of my AVR to get it working again. This happened to me and my harmony remote always turns the tv on first which is required for the handshake to work. I wonder if enabling EARC when that firmware update is released will fix this issue as that was supposed to be one of the benefits of EARC over Arc....less or no handshake issues. No lip sink issues either.
Thanks for the reply.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how is it supposed to work? Do I need to specify a certain input on the receiver? I have a harmony as well, so if I am watching TV (TV is plugged in to HDMI 2 on the receiver) I have the receiver set to HDMI 2, very straight forward. If I switch to the internal TV apps, what should happen on the receiver? Is it supposed to play sound regardless of what input it's on? I think that's what's throwing me off on understanding how ARC works.

The Samsung TV that this Sony also has ARC and had the same issue. I had to set my Harmony up on that TV so that the "Smart TV" command switched the receiver to AV1 and then it pulled up the Smart options on the TV. Otherwise it wouldn't get sound. On both TV's, the only way I get sound via the smart hubs is via the optical cable from the TV to the receiver and setting the receiver to input AV1. While it may be a handshake issue, my experience is not limited to the Sony which is why I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if there is something I am not understanding?

·
Registered
8 Posts
You know this thread was going really well with people posting pictures of their sets and how they look, and now it's turned into what it is.

Pretty simple, if you don't like this set, dont buy it, if you are frustrated and having problems with your set that you can't live with, return it, get another TV. Problem solved. My first LCD was a Sony 46 inch, I own a Sammy KS8000, Vizio M, and a TCL 5 series. No fanboy here, I just want good information not a bunch or arguing and BS.

Hopefully REAL owners can get back to posting pics of their sets with content, preferably 85 inch.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is how is it supposed to work? Do I need to specify a certain input on the receiver? I have a harmony as well, so if I am watching TV (TV is plugged in to HDMI 2 on the receiver) I have the receiver set to HDMI 2, very straight forward. If I switch to the internal TV apps, what should happen on the receiver? Is it supposed to play sound regardless of what input it's on? I think that's what's throwing me off on understanding how ARC works.
I had the exact same question -- basically you want to know, when listening to content coming INTO the receiver, what input should the receiver be on for listening to the ARC provided TV content.

In my case, I looked in my Sony receiver's manual and, on the "Using the ARC connection" page, it turned out the ARC is assigned to the HDMI "A" output -- this output is also marked with "TV"/"ARC" on the back panel. In order to hear the ARC audio content coming from the TV, I put the receiver on the "TV" input setting.

It may well be different for your receiver. Best remedy is to check the manual on your receiver, look at the back panel (one of the outputs may have ARC indicated on it like mine), or find a receiver-specific board and ask some other owners.

Like you, before I used ARC, I had to use an optical out of the TV for internal apps and it was very confusing setting the receiver (and the Harmony) up so they were all on the same page.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had the exact same question -- basically you want to know, when listening to content coming INTO the receiver, what input should the receiver be on for listening to the ARC provided TV content.

In my case, I looked in my Sony receiver's manual and it said to use the "TV" input (on the receiver) to listen to the ARC content coming out of the TV.

It may be different for your receiver. Best remedy is to check the manual on your receiver, or find a receiver-specific board and ask some other owners. Like you, before I used ARC, I had to use an optical out and it was very confusing setting the receiver (and the Harmony) up so they were all on the same page.
Thanks. I'll see if I can dig up the old manual again and look for their ARC notes. I imagine there has to be some sort of default for that, I'm just surprised that it's taking so long to find. I'm no home theater wiz, but I'm not a rookie either :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks. I'll see if I can dig up the old manual again and look for their ARC notes. I imagine there has to be some sort of default for that, I'm just surprised that it's taking so long to find. I'm no home theater wiz, but I'm not a rookie either :)
Same here. I thought ARC was supposed to be easy! lol. It is -- once you know what to put your receiver on :)

Check the back panel of the receiver itself too. Should be something for ARC on an HDMI output I'd imagine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You know this thread was going really well with people posting pictures of their sets and how they look, and now it's turned into what it is.

Pretty simple, if you don't like this set, dont buy it, if you are frustrated and having problems with your set that you can't live with, return it, get another TV. Problem solved. My first LCD was a Sony 46 inch, I own a Sammy KS8000, Vizio M, and a TCL 5 series. No fanboy here, I just want good information not a bunch or arguing and BS.

Hopefully REAL owners can get back to posting pics of their sets with content, preferably 85 inch.

Thank you.
Can a x900h owner please take a screenshot of spider man homecoming (from the 4k hdr DISC please) of right around 18:18 - spidey sitting on a fire escape on his cell phone with the sunset in the background.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys just got a 900h and LOVING it. Except one thing. I went down the rabbit hole on DSE. Watched some hockey clips and its all I notice. Very distracting. Now I can see it while playing GT Sport driving from hood cam on the track its very noticeable. This is the 65 inch version. I had the 55 inch version (too small for my space) and it was literally flawless. DSE, Banding couldn't see a thing. Tested this 65 and its immediately noticeable. Everything else about it is great though! Minimal banding, colors are excellent and HDR is seriously good. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to exchange for another 65 and play the lottery?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Same here. I thought ARC was supposed to be easy! lol. It is -- once you know what to put your receiver on :)

Check the back panel of the receiver itself too. Should be something for ARC on an HDMI output I'd imagine.
LMAO, SOOOOOOOO, I haven't tested it yet, but according to the manual (the one ALL OF US READ I'M SURE :p) the ARC channel on my receiver is AV4. There is also an ARC setting called "HDMI Control" that I have to be sure is set to on. HDMI Control is something I have seen in the settings, so I am pretty sure it's on already.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys just got a 900h and LOVING it. Except one thing. I went down the rabbit hole on DSE. Watched some hockey clips and its all I notice.
Out of curiosity since hockey is one of my main priorities in a TV. Do you notice any motion issues when watching live action on what you have seen? I have 1 game in HD recorded. I had access to an LG C9 for about a month back in May. It was the worst hockey watching experience I ever saw no matter what settings I chose. This TV is much better, but I sometimes feel like I still see it. I don't know if I'm just over sensitive to it or not. Maybe it was an issue on my old TV that I never thought was an issue. I'll have to try re-hook up my old TV to compare. My 90 days at Costco is not until mid-September, so hopefully the NHL will return on time and I'll have some live content to watch.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,434
Hey guys just got a 900h and LOVING it. Except one thing. I went down the rabbit hole on DSE. Watched some hockey clips and its all I notice. Very distracting. Now I can see it while playing GT Sport driving from hood cam on the track its very noticeable. This is the 65 inch version. I had the 55 inch version (too small for my space) and it was literally flawless. DSE, Banding couldn't see a thing. Tested this 65 and its immediately noticeable. Everything else about it is great though! Minimal banding, colors are excellent and HDR is seriously good. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to exchange for another 65 and play the lottery?
Bad DSE is unacceptable IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Totally agree. Who buys a new TV and sets out to try to find ANY flaw they possibly can on it? Parties must be real fun at your houses!
Some people naturally see the flaws much easier, it doesn't necessarily require any extra effort to see them.

Sony TV's with Smooth Gradation.
The gamers buying this TV aren't effected by not having that feature as it adds input lag nor are those who put high quality sources through the TV.
Has anyone measured the lag? From what I remember from XF90 smooth gradation eliminated banding completely and I didn't notice any difference in input lag.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Shouldnt you be plugging everything into the TV HDMI ports, then you use ARC port on TV, which is an "OUT" port, into the receiver, HDMI port that supports ARC? That's how mine is setup anyway and works just fine.

2421 - 2440 of 4211 Posts