AVS Forum banner
24541 - 24560 of 27992 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Hi guys, yesterday during a game session on PS5 I noticed that the images on XH90 appeared dimmer and not bright as usual.
I had to restart the TV to fix it, probably just a SW bug, it's a know issue that happened to someone else?
I also have sporadic issues using Bluetooth headphones, sometimes the volume is lower than normal.

Should I try a reset of the TV? Doesn't it mean that I have to install all the programs and settings again?
When you see the issue again, try changing the Local Dimming setting, if the picture goes brighter again when do that, it is the Local Dimming bug that had been discussed the last 100 pages.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Ya I do not recall many complaints about plasma TV's when they where around.
The performance bar across many metrics was a whole lot lower when plasma TVs were a thing. All a plasma TV had to do was score a hot contrast ratio and not burn in at the drop of a bug.

Today's TV is more a center of the home entertainment system being expected to be a major source as well as a hub for some or all of the other sources. Where Dolby AC-3 was the order of the day back then, now Atmos is the target. The number of fronts on which the TV must do battle is considerably greater today.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When I first got the X900H, I purchased new HDMI cables to connect my DVR and Sony Soundbar. My soundbar supports EARC and the cheap, but speed rated 48 did not stop the audio dropouts, so eventually I boughta Certifed, ver 2.0 HDMI cable, and every thing worked flawlessly. Earc and ATMOS work with my sound bar, and no dropouts from the DVR either.
If you read around the Audio forums you'll see that cheap non certified 2.1 HDMI cables frequently fail testing... Some only passing 12Gbs.

Should only use Certified cables.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you see the issue again, try changing the Local Dimming setting, if the picture goes brighter again when do that, it is the Local Dimming bug that had been discussed the last 100 pages.
Thanks I didn't know the way you were calling this issue. Good to know that the new firmware for US fixed it.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Ya I do not recall many complaints about plasma TV's when they where around.
Never tried to use one about 6000ft did you......................BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
144 Posts
If you read around the Audio forums you'll see that cheap non certified 2.1 HDMI cables frequently fail testing... Some only passing 12Gbs.

Should only use Certified cables.
Can confirm this. Recently tried replacing 2.0 cable with a cheap 2.1. New cable can't even do 4k/60, only 4k/30. It is also shorter than the old one but still performs worse.

·
Registered
147 Posts
So i just saw Sony changed the VRR disclaimer in the Canadian website from "available via firmware update in spring 2021" to "available via future firmware update" or something along those lines.

I guess we can read that as "you will get it when you get it", at this point i just hope we will get it at all but i am starting to lose hope... I don't care much about [email protected] but VRR is something i really wanted...

·
Registered
51 Posts
So i just saw Sony changed the VRR disclaimer in the Canadian website from "available via firmware update in spring 2021" to "available via future firmware update" or something along those lines.

I guess we can read that as "you will get it when you get it", at this point i just hope we will get it at all but i am starting to lose hope... I don't care much about [email protected] but VRR is something i really wanted...
It’s not coming

·
Registered
142 Posts
Are there any recommendations regarding Internet settings to this tv?

I'm having issues with Netflix app. I can't get steady high bitrate. I have the 4k package and my Internet is 200 mb fibre. I did all sorts of testings for more than two months now. But I can't get a steady bit rate no matter what I do.

I began to realise that my tv might be defective!

Any help, tips will be appreciated.

Sent from my J9210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts

I'm having issues with Netflix app. I can't get steady high bitrate. I have the 4k package and my Internet is 200 mb fibre. I did all sorts of testings for more than two months now. But I can't get a steady bit rate no matter what I do.

Install and run a speed test app on the TV. See what kind of speeds you are getting at the TV. Are you wired or wireless? If wireless, 2 or 5gHz?

·
Registered
11 Posts

Your isp is throttling speed because of high load. I had same problem last year. Netflix was horrible in evening hours.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Best indicator for when (if) VRR is coming is probably to look at when PS5 is getting it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still have my 2008 Panny plasma working perfectly after more than 30,000 hours at my beach house. Unfortunately LCDs are cheaply made and all have some issues. Pick one that fits your budget and usage profile and enjoy. And whatever you do, don't follow so many members here trying to find problems with your new TV. Issues found can never be unseen no matter how trivial.
Sweeeet. My 2009 Panasonic plasma was replaced by the XH90. I still think it's a great TV and it will now go to the bedroom. The only issues I had with it were lack of 4K and that it was an energy guzzling monster. You could literally feel the heat coming off it and it several times on hot days actually caused my Switch to overheat (it was sitting right in front of the TV). Other than that the picture is still absolutely stunning and input lag, motion handling etc were all still very good.

·
Registered
DENON AVC-X6500H / MONITOR AUDIO SB4 / KEF T101C / SONY KD-85XH9096
115 Posts

Also worth installing a decent VPN app.

This would give you direct access to Netflix, rather than via your ISP's network.

The bandwidth may be lower but will probably be more stable.

Another alternative is ditching your ISP DNS server.....but I suspect they are able to still route to their local CDN Cache.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Robert Zohn talked to Sony engineers and they said VRR is coming in December. Apparently, Sony engineers are waiting for HDMI to update their eARC and HDMI-CEC specs so they can push 1 firmware update that includes VRR. He also said the Mediatek chipset is fine and should have no problems with HDMI 2.1 features. 5m32s:

24541 - 24560 of 27992 Posts