AVS Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 4098 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got to spend more time with my PC hooked up this morning, and I was able to set 1440p @ 120Hz with an nVidia custom resolution no problem like Resultz noted. I'm using a RTX2080, latest drivers. Color settings 32-bit/12bpc/RGB/Full. Amazon basics 25ft' cable purchased on 10/2017. Tested for frame skipping and got none.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 75” is perfect as far as I can tell. No DSE, minimal vignetting and non-existent color banding on high quality content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
So some have asked, I wanted to ask again since lurking for several months.

I’m not asking if this will happen but rather if it anyone thinks it is at least possible....

Would the current processor and hardware on the 900H support a firmware update where a Sony added smooth gradation?

I understand that thought behind differentiating this from the 950 and we can’t have it all for this price. But again, of it ends up being a large enough problem to where if some of the other big reviews and info put out on this set also mentions this as a major con, could Sony even do anything about it? Or has that ship sailed?

·
Registered
88 Posts
So some have asked, I wanted to ask again since lurking for several months.

I’m not asking if this will happen but rather if it anyone thinks it is at least possible....

Would the current processor and hardware on the 900H support a firmware update where a Sony added smooth gradation?

I understand that thought behind differentiating this from the 950 and we can’t have it all for this price. But again, of it ends up being a large enough problem to where if some of the other big reviews and info put out on this set also mentions this as a major con, could Sony even do anything about it? Or has that ship sailed?

Only time will tell. Unless there’s a Sony insider on these forums I doubt anyone here can give an accurate answer in that regard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got to spend more time with my PC hooked up this morning, and I was able to set 1440p @ 120Hz with an nVidia custom resolution no problem like Resultz noted. I'm using a RTX2080, latest drivers. Color settings 32-bit/12bpc/RGB/Full. Amazon basics 25ft' cable purchased on 10/2017. Tested for frame skipping and got none.
How's the image quality? Have you had other 1440p120 capable sets? If yes, how does it compare?

·
Registered
17 Posts
is [email protected] natively supported ? Have tested both 60hz and 120 hz in game, do they work normal as it should ?

60Hz is native, 120Hz is not. Both work fine in PC games. Far Cry 5 runs 1440p 120Hz HDR10 no problem.

How's the image quality? Have you had other 1440p120 capable sets? If yes, how does it compare?

At the risk of being a putz, better than 1080p but worse than 4k. It's what you'd expect. Nope, only monitors.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got the 65" version of this TV about a week ago and love it. 4K looks incredible and the menu is very quick.

My only concern is what appears to be quite a bit of blur on moving scenes. This doesn't happen on 4K material, just 1080p cable content and NetFlix. This is my first TV coming from a Samsung UN55F7100AF which isn't 4K, but doesn't seem to have nearly as much blur. Dumb question, but this Sony TV is running at 60hz and the Samsung can support 240hz. Does it matter? Please just tell me I'm crazy. My wife doesn't seem to notice it.

Is this just normal since it's not playing at it's native display? Much like when we viewed basic cable on a 1080p TV?
Make sure motion is set to custom and smoothness at min and clearness to 2. See how that looks. This is my preferred settings and I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This is a screenshot off YouTube from a Costco demo someone posted. I’ve seen it, is 4K. Don’t know how they’re setup tho. Does that look like banding in the sky?

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is a screenshot off YouTube from a Costco demo someone posted. I’ve seen it, is 4K. Don’t know how they’re setup tho. Does that look like banding in the sky?

If there is I don’t see it.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Thank you! So if I see this right, I can just in fact use the black screws that were in the wall mount spots on the tv? Seem awfully short.

Thanks for the reply. However, those are the wall mount adapters you screw into the tv so it can accept the mount. What do you screw into those silver adapters?

Thanks!
This should have everything you need in the photo.

·
Registered
346 Posts

I don't see it, either. To be fair... between YouTube compression (which is notoriously terrible) and JPEG artifacts, I'm not sure if you'd be able to determine if it was showing banding, anyway. I don't see banding on my 75" with a clean source. Best I can tell you is to hop down to a local retailer and see if you can check one out live. But bring your own material, or risk getting shown something like that awful Quantum video (that was egregious).

·
Registered
81 Posts
What length screw should we be using? Thanks!
I'm using the Fitueyes mount. The screws that came with it were too short.

I had to buy M6 40mm long screws. But I had to use 2 additional washers for each screw because they were a tad too long.

I suppose 35mm might work, but they were not available.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Gotta love how different digital trends and quantum reviews are.
Digital trends Caleb is known for loving Sony and can't contain his excitement for this tv. Didn't notice any DSE, banding.. nothing!
Quantum made 3 videos just to **** all over this set, but I think he's just speaking his mind. He noticed things that really put him off.

All over I want to point out how both Sony and Samsung have stripped out features from last year's models and put them on higher level sets. Samsung basically shifted everything one level down to create a new category for 8k sets. Even the q90t doesn't get all the premium features that are now reserved for 800 and 900 series (8k). Sony is also doing that as we see with smooth gradation. However it's very hard to understand why they would not give 950h an hdmi 2.1. If they did I would have gone for that set instead

·
Registered
71 Posts
I got the 65" version of this TV about a week ago and love it. 4K looks incredible and the menu is very quick.

My only concern is what appears to be quite a bit of blur on moving scenes. This doesn't happen on 4K material, just 1080p cable content and NetFlix. This is my first TV coming from a Samsung UN55F7100AF which isn't 4K, but doesn't seem to have nearly as much blur. Dumb question, but this Sony TV is running at 60hz and the Samsung can support 240hz. Does it matter? Please just tell me I'm crazy. My wife doesn't seem to notice it.

Is this just normal since it's not playing at it's native display? Much like when we viewed basic cable on a 1080p TV?
Have you tried out the different picture modes etc? Is it soap opera effect?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

2481 - 2500 of 4098 Posts