AVS Forum banner

2501 - 2520 of 5773 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are a lot of people that say the banding goes away after 100-200 hours of use most of the time.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gotta love how different digital trends and quantum reviews are.
Digital trends Caleb is known for loving Sony and can't contain his excitement for this tv. Didn't notice any DSE, banding.. nothing!
Quantum made 3 videos just to **** all over this set, but I think he's just speaking his mind. He noticed things that really put him off.

All over I want to point out how both Sony and Samsung have stripped out features from last year's models and put them on higher level sets. Samsung basically shifted everything one level down to create a new category for 8k sets. Even the q90t doesn't get all the premium features that are now reserved for 800 and 900 series (8k). Sony is also doing that as we see with smooth gradation. However it's very hard to understand why they would not give 950h an hdmi 2.1. If they did I would have gone for that set instead

Sony is switching to a new architecture with the 900H. The SOC and picture processor are no longer on separate chips. Allegedly this is the reason why the 950H, or any other of Sony’s TVs this year, doesn’t support HDMI 2.1.

The next iteration of Sony TVs will probably be no compromises.

That said, very happy with the 900H. The lack of smooth gradation isn’t a deal breaker as I don’t really watch low quality content. And when I do the circumstances where the color banding is noticeable aren’t on the screen for very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
919 Posts
Is PS5/Xbox S X going to have real games with 4K 120 FPS I don’t think so? There are hardly true 4K 60 games currently why would you need hdmi 2.1 now? I’d wait until more content are available.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is PS5/Xbox S X going to have real games with 4K 120 FPS I don’t think so? There are hardly true 4K 60 games currently why would you need hdmi 2.1 now? I’d wait until more content are available.
It's the VRR and low latency mode that will be great for ps5 that hdmi 2.1 gives you huge benefits for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi was looking for some opinions on buying next tv. I am torn between Sony X900H and LG Nano90Una. Which set will have the better picture quality for console gaming? Looking to buy a tv for the next PS5 and XSX and wondering if one tv will be superior picture wise for gaming only? Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is there a place that says DV when it’s working and not just plain HDR.? When I go into settings, it’s saying HDR only. The display button on the remote doesn’t work on screen when using the internal apps so I haven’t been able to see that it’s working anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In the upper right of the picture settings it says HDR, but automatically switches to Dolby Vision dark or bright presets.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hi was looking for some opinions on buying next tv. I am torn between Sony X900H and LG Nano90Una. Which set will have the better picture quality for console gaming? Looking to buy a tv for the next PS5 and XSX and wondering if one tv will be superior picture wise for gaming only? Thanks.
The sony, I wouldn't get an LG LCD, I would the c90 if you go LG for gaming but it's OLED.

·
Registered
168 Posts
However it's very hard to understand why they would not give 950h an hdmi 2.1. If they did I would have gone for that set instead
HDMI 2.1 requires the newer system on a chip (SoC), which wasn't ready. Rather than delay the X950H launch, Sony probably decided to save the new SoC for the X950I or an X960H.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HDMI 2.1 requires the newer system on a chip (SoC), which wasn't ready. Rather than delay the X950H launch, Sony probably decided to save the new SoC for the X950I or an X950H.
Yeah the x1 ultimate I heard wasn't ready for 2.1 but they wanted to get out at least 1 x hdmi 2.1 set out. The x900h has a new SOC and not sure if they will be just using that with the 2021 series but I bet all sets next year will be 2.1. I also would have rather for the 950 with 2.1 but this will save me some money.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is PS5/Xbox S X going to have real games with 4K 120 FPS I don’️t think so? There are hardly true 4K 60 games currently why would you need hdmi 2.1 now? I’️d wait until more content are available.
Because I'm getting the 85inch so spending quite a bit and hope to get 5 years out of it

·
Registered
272 Posts
You shouldn’t have to boost the speaker channels to that degree to get sound. Have you tried swapping out your hdmi cable with a certified premium cable? Are you sure you have your inputs assigned correctly in your AVR as I showed in my screenshot so that hdmi is showing for the inputs you want sound and that optical isn’t showing instead? I would also post in your AVR thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I believe the inputs are assigned properly. The HDMI from the blu ray player to the AVR and AVR to TV are brand new Zeskit 8k cables from Amazon. I don't "think" it's either of those. The low volume issue is noticable when on movies or through my cable box on certain shows, not every show. I think I am going to try to re-set up the entire receiver focusing on 1 input at a time.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,517
Digital trends Caleb is known for loving Sony and can't contain his excitement for this tv. Didn't notice any DSE, banding.. nothing!
Quantum made 3 videos just to **** all over this set, but I think he's just speaking his mind. He noticed things that really put him off.

All over I want to point out how both Sony and Samsung have stripped out features from last year's models and put them on higher level sets. Samsung basically shifted everything one level down to create a new category for 8k sets. Even the q90t doesn't get all the premium features that are now reserved for 800 and 900 series (8k). Sony is also doing that as we see with smooth gradation. However it's very hard to understand why they would not give 950h an hdmi 2.1. If they did I would have gone for that set instead
Sony is switching to a new architecture with the 900H. The SOC and picture processor are no longer on separate chips. Allegedly this is the reason why the 950H, or any other of Sony’s TVs this year, doesn’t support HDMI 2.1.

The next iteration of Sony TVs will probably be no compromises.

That said, very happy with the 900H. The lack of smooth gradation isn’t a deal breaker as I don’t really watch low quality content. And when I do the circumstances where the color banding is noticeable aren’t on the screen for very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't see it, either. To be fair... between YouTube compression (which is notoriously terrible) and JPEG artifacts, I'm not sure if you'd be able to determine if it was showing banding, anyway. I don't see banding on my 75" with a clean source. Best I can tell you is to hop down to a local retailer and see if you can check one out live. But bring your own material, or risk getting shown something like that awful Quantum video (that was egregious).
Quantum is a joke and should never be taken serious.
For gaming and HQ HDR sources losing Smooth Gradation isn't a issue.
I bought this set mainly for gaming.
I do like using SG with my Z9D and lower quality/older content.

The SOC is new hence the delays as I was told they had to iron out certain features like ATSC 3.0.
MAYBE SG can be added?
Usually I would say no chance of this happening but this is Sony's new next gen SOC so maybe we will get it.

I would avoid LG's offerings like the plague.

I don't subscribe to the notion that we won't get some next gen 4K/120fps games and at the very least we will get 1440p/3K/120fps upscaled to 4K(the consoles will do the scaling)

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quantum has over the years worked out exactly what is the perceived wrongness with a set and generally highlights that weakness. Its more pandering to the masses. The only guy I know that got his youtube channel removed for just being fraudalent. Ever see him do an unboxing? Who does reviews in a completely dark room? Maybe hiding the fact I really dont have these tvs (which was one of the reasons his channel was removed). Maybe he has reformed who knows. Trusting his judgment solely for purchasing a tv well that is your choice.

Caleb does like Sony that is true. So does Vincent btw. Most reviewers have some bias alot of them definitely do try to contain it sometimes its difficult when you have reviewed dozens and dozens not to have a favourite of sorts. Understaning that does help the purchaser.

Your right about the selective placing of features but is more marketing to improve margins. It does happen every year. Samsung probably are the most creative every little feature jacks the price up as you move up its enormous line of tvs. Not saying they are the only ones i just cant believe the amount of models they have and it makes it very easy for sales people to sell unprepared folks upwards.

Its great we have choices.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quantum has over the years worked out exactly what is the perceived wrongness with a set and generally highlights that weakness. Its more pandering to the masses. The only guy I know that got his youtube channel removed for just being fraudalent. Ever see him do an unboxing? Who does reviews in a completely dark room? Maybe hiding the fact I really dont have these tvs (which was one of the reasons his channel was removed). Maybe he has reformed who knows. Trusting his judgment solely for purchasing a tv well that is your choice.

Caleb does like Sony that is true. So does Vincent btw. Most reviewers have some bias alot of them definitely do try to contain it sometimes its difficult when you have reviewed dozens and dozens not to have a favourite of sorts. Understaning that does help the purchaser.

Your right about the selective placing of features but is more marketing to improve margins. It does happen every year. Samsung probably are the most creative every little feature jacks the price up as you move up its enormous line of tvs. Not saying they are the only ones i just cant believe the amount of models they have and it makes it very easy for sales people to sell unprepared folks upwards.

Its great we have choices.
It sure is great.

Can't wait to see Vincent and rtings reviews. Expecting delivery of my set in 2 weeks and it would take some really negative reviews from both of them for me to cancel my purchase and wait for other offerings to come up with HDMI 2.1, 120panel and good black level performance.
Hate it when blacks get crushed or when they become grey

2501 - 2520 of 5773 Posts