AVS Forum banner

2521 - 2540 of 4239 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I posted a couple days ago about my two day old 75in having flashing horizontal lines running through the middle and top of the screen on Android apps and Xbox one x only while video is playing. I turned the TV off and back on and have not had a single problem come back. My panel is near perfect the way i have it setup for Hulu, Netflix and Prime as well as Game mode for my Xbox. Not sure what caused them lines but should I be worried in the future? I purchased at Costco so I do get the 90 day return policy.
Also, I am using a JBL 3.1 soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. The volume on the TV shows double what the soundbar shows. Example - sound bar set to 18 and tv will show 35. Any idea why?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I believe the inputs are assigned properly. The HDMI from the blu ray player to the AVR and AVR to TV are brand new Zeskit 8k cables from Amazon. I don't "think" it's either of those. The low volume issue is noticable when on movies or through my cable box on certain shows, not every show. I think I am going to try to re-set up the entire receiver focusing on 1 input at a time.
So you are not using ARC then?

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I posted a couple days ago about my two day old 75in having flashing horizontal lines running through the middle and top of the screen on Android apps and Xbox one x only while video is playing. I turned the TV off and back on and have not had a single problem come back. My panel is near perfect the way i have it setup for Hulu, Netflix and Prime as well as Game mode for my Xbox. Not sure what caused them lines but should I be worried in the future? I purchased at Costco so I do get the 90 day return policy.
Also, I am using a JBL 3.1 soundbar connected via HDMI ARC. The volume on the TV shows double what the soundbar shows. Example - sound bar set to 18 and tv will show 35. Any idea why?
Knowing there's a slim chance (depending on what you believe or don't in this thread) there could be a problem down the road, why not just add the Costco warranty for a few dollars more? Being worried for the next 89 days about something you just dropped a few grand on seems crazy. What is it another $100 for 5 years?

·
Registered
272 Posts
So you are not using ARC then?
Currently, no. That is not working. I have to use the optical cable which is ok for now since I only have a 5.1 setup anyway. I tried disconnect the optical from the TV, still didn't work> I am going to try to do the same on the receiver itself and see if that changes anything. I am fairly confident after going through the manual that I have everything set up properly, but there may be some other settings on the input I need it to be on that I need to change.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got to spend more time with my PC hooked up this morning, and I was able to set 1440p @ 120Hz with an nVidia custom resolution no problem like Resultz noted. I'm using a RTX2080, latest drivers. Color settings 32-bit/12bpc/RGB/Full. Amazon basics 25ft' cable purchased on 10/2017. Tested for frame skipping and got none.
I can't figure out why this has not worked for me. I'm using an RTX2080 with the latest drivers as well. Would you mind sharing a screen shot of your custom resolution settings? Are you having the display or the GPU do the scaling?

Best I have been able to get 1440p to work at is 90Hz. The nVidia control panel says that 120Hz is successful, but the image on screen is all scrambled. I've tried multiple certified high speed cables, plus two brands of HDMI 2.1 cables (Monoprice and Cable Matters).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Currently, no. That is not working. I have to use the optical cable which is ok for now since I only have a 5.1 setup anyway. I tried disconnect the optical from the TV, still didn't work> I am going to try to do the same on the receiver itself and see if that changes anything. I am fairly confident after going through the manual that I have everything set up properly, but there may be some other settings on the input I need it to be on that I need to change.
Seems like you are over complicating. Plug your stuff into HDMI ports in TV and use HDMI/ARC into receiver. Get rid of the optical cable.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Knowing there's a slim chance (depending on what you believe or don't in this thread) there could be a problem down the road, why not just add the Costco warranty for a few dollars more? Being worried for the next 89 days about something you just dropped a few grand on seems crazy. What is it another $100 for 5 years?
This TV comes with a Sony 3-yr warranty included. Additional years come after that warranty via SquareTrade unless you use a Costco card that adds additional years prior to the ST warranty. Bottomline is that this TV is very easy to get warranty coverage on via Costco.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Seems like you are over complicating. Plug your stuff into HDMI ports in TV and use HDMI/ARC into receiver. Get rid of the optical cable.
When using the tv apps arc is finicky. I have to go into settings sometimes and switch from tv speakers to external speakers for it to work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
seemed to be able to use moviesanywhere app on tv to access my streaming library and be able to watch movies like Alita and avengers endgame in dolby vision. Have to use arc for sound. It looks awesome just sounds horrible for now. Vudu for some reason won't let me play anything past hdx for tv app not sure why.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Connecting cable box to TV

What is the best way to connect my cable box and Marantz SR6006 receiver? The receiver can do 1080P pass through and supports ARC. I had originally connected the cable box to the receiver and then had the receiver out to HDMI 3 on the TV. I switched the setup to having the cable box go to HDMI 1 on the TV and have an HDMI cable from the ARC on TV to the ARC on the receiver. The sound setup works and I think I see a slightly cleaner picture while watching cable TV. Is connecting the cable box directly to the TV and using the ARC channel to the surround sound the way to go to get the best picture performance?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,531
I can't figure out why this has not worked for me. I'm using an RTX2080 with the latest drivers as well. Would you mind sharing a screen shot of your custom resolution settings? Are you having the display or the GPU do the scaling?

Best I have been able to get 1440p to work at is 90Hz. The nVidia control panel says that 120Hz is successful, but the image on screen is all scrambled. I've tried multiple certified high speed cables, plus two brands of HDMI 2.1 cables (Monoprice and Cable Matters).
Hmm are you using HDMI 4?

I get 1440p/120/HDR.
My card is a older 1080ti.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you tried out the different picture modes etc? Is it soap opera effect?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
It's not the soap opera effect. It's a motion blur on faster moving scenes.

I've played around with the settings and have seemed to improve it considerably. Maybe I'm just not used to this many settings on a TV before!:)

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
71 Posts
It's not the soap opera effect. It's a motion blur on faster moving scenes.

I've played around with the settings and have seemed to improve it considerably. Maybe I'm just not used to this many settings on a TV before!:)

Thanks for the help!
Ya test motion flow changes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts

Hmm are you using HDMI 4?

I get 1440p/120/HDR.
My card is a older 1080ti.
I’ve tried each cable and setting in all four ports, but same exact results for all.

The only potential differences I can think of is some other nVidia setting or that my computer hasn’t received the Windows 10 May 2020 update.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The problem is ARC does not seem to be working, so doing that would result in no sound or TV speakers only. It was an issue on my Samsung too, so it might be a receiver issue. I think I have it all set up properly. It's not a big deal. I will probably buy a new receiver before I would actually need ARC capabilities. Right now with my receiver, I am limited to DTS, DD, DD+ anyway. It doesn't do Atmos nor do I have atmos speakers.

When using the tv apps arc is finicky. I have to go into settings sometimes and switch from tv speakers to external speakers for it to work.
Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. When in the apps, re-check the audio settings.

·
Registered
272 Posts
seemed to be able to use moviesanywhere app on tv to access my streaming library and be able to watch movies like Alita and avengers endgame in dolby vision. Have to use arc for sound. It looks awesome just sounds horrible for now. Vudu for some reason won't let me play anything past hdx for tv app not sure why.
I have the same issue in VUDU. I think that's the way their app works from what I've read. Will only let me choose HDX even when I own UHD. I also had and issue in the Google Movies (or whatever it's called). It would allow me UHD, but then when I would go to play it would just bring me back to the "home" screen for the app. Movies Anywhere seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Quantum is a joke and should never be taken serious.
For gaming and HQ HDR sources losing Smooth Gradation isn't a issue.
For gaming losing smooth gradation definitely is an issue. On XF90 there's visible banding on games without SG enabled, and since XG95 and XH95 aren't any better on native banding it's safe to assume XH90 wont be any better either.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I want the ability to play my iTunes movies without an Apple TV. LG has the Apple TV+ app, Sony doesn’t but has AirPlay 2 support.

So if AirPlay from iPhone to a Sony that supports AirPlay does it do 4K for an iTunes movie? Does it do Dolby Vision HDR if the iTunes movie supports?

Could anyone test this please, and show results, screenshot or video. I think of once playing the movie, pressing info should details. And of course should be able to tell by picture quality.

I think some AirPlay doesn’t go direct from your iPhone to the TV, but users a url for the TV to get the link and then can play full 4K quality.

Thanks

2521 - 2540 of 4239 Posts