AVS Forum banner
2,541 - 2,560 of 40,825 Posts
I've sent the satellite input through the AVR to the TV, but would like to try it connected directly to TV.

Slightly off topic, but would need a 12 foot HDMI cable - any recommendations on a good choice?

thanks
Anything under 20 feet is not risky if you get a 2.0b certified premium cable. Those ones, with the proper label on the packaging don't cost any more than others. You're not pushing the limits of a 2.0 cable with satellite TV but if you get the certified ones now (put a label on it) at least you'll have it around for when you need more bandwidth. I prefer Monoprice's via Amazon, wide selection of various types too (extra flex, etc.).

I can't figure out why this has not worked for me. I'm using an RTX2080 with the latest drivers as well. Would you mind sharing a screen shot of your custom resolution settings? Are you having the display or the GPU do the scaling?

Best I have been able to get 1440p to work at is 90Hz. The nVidia control panel says that 120Hz is successful, but the image on screen is all scrambled. I've tried multiple certified high speed cables, plus two brands of HDMI 2.1 cables (Monoprice and Cable Matters).
How's the image quality? Have you had other 1440p120 capable sets? If yes, how does it compare?
This is a mystery, since I have a 1080Ti with latest drivers and Win 10 May update but there's no way to get 1440p 120Hz.
I have tried with different HDMI 2.1 cables and CRU on ports 3 and 4.
Hmm are you using HDMI 4?

I get 1440p/120/HDR.
My card is a older 1080ti.

At the risk of eating crow I'd like to re-visit this. Yes I can get it to display and games play at 120Hz, but there is clearly some sort of issue. I tested on HDMI4.

After further experimentation, 100/110 do not work for me. They display a scrambled screen.

Even though it says I'm using 4:4:4 it looks like 4:2:0, definitely not even 4:2:2. It looks worse than 1440@60 or 1080@120 when using the Windows Desktop. I'm sure everyone that's worked with the different chromas understand that the difference between 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 is less visible when gaming, particularly from the era when the PS4 supported 4k with 4:2:0.

Using the Far Cry 5 benchmark for comparison, 1080@120 HDR10 provides superior dynamic range, indicating that HDR is not working properly with 1440@120.

I don't know have any explanation for the variation or why I'm even able to set 1440@120 and others aren't.

I apologize if I mislead anyone. My TV clearly accepts the input, but it is a waste of time.

I will be purchasing an Ampere GPU so I am looking forward to HDMI 2.1 support.

How does this tv compare to the x900f?
I have both and the 900f is a great tv. The 900h gets the slight edge in picture quality and is future proofed with hdmi 2.1, ATSC 3.0, etc. HDR and Dolby Vision are a huge improvment on the 900h. Another thing to consider is the 900f probably wont be receiving any more updates and runs an older, slower version of Android.

Haven’t posted anything in my x900h. As some of you know from previous posts, I was one of the early orders from Value Electronics. Let me say that Robert and Wendy are absolutely delightful to work with. Nicest people around and incredibly knowledgeable. After waiting some time for stock to get allocated, my tv was shipped. Was supposed to be delivered last Monday. I received a call from CEVA Logistics that they lost my tv. After a couple days and with Roberts help, they were able to find it. Received the set Friday. Found the box was opened, straps were removed. Took it out of the box and turned it on.

Picture is ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE.

....Now look at the attached pic and you’ll see why. 😝😝😝. Tv was completely damaged. Value Electronics immediately ordered up a new one for me and started the claim process on this one.

I will have this tv one day!!!!

Attachments

All things sound and audio considered I'd stay with the box connected directly to the TV.
Thanks for the reply. I swear it does look better than going thru the receiver but you know how that goes. In any case, will see if this has anything to do with the motion and soap opera effect that seems to show up out of nowhere when I turn on the TV or switch from an app to TV. Doesn't do it all the time, chatted with Sony and they were no help.

No xwide angle filter on the X900H.

Heard good and bad about this filter. So without it what’s the angle that’s it’s ok at? I know LG TV’s are better for viewing angles, but worse for blacks/contrast.

Bit of the person in my house so sitting not directly in front of the TV, off to the side, and the picture is washed out then what’s the point?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I swear it does look better than going thru the receiver but you know how that goes. In any case, will see if this has anything to do with the motion and soap opera effect that seems to show up out of nowhere when I turn on the TV or switch from an app to TV. Doesn't do it all the time, chatted with Sony and they were no help.
I don't own a 900H, I'm here to investigate alternates to OLED. Does this Sony have it such that each input type gets it's own settings: SDR, HDR, DV, so you have to save a separate setup for each of those plus any game vs. movie modes, such as on an LG I have one setup for gaming in HDR and another for watching movies in HDR.
This might provide some insight:

Heard good and bad about this filter. So without it what’s the angle that’s it’s ok at? I know LG TV’s are better for viewing angles, but worse for blacks/contrast.

Bit of the person in my house so sitting not directly in front of the TV, off to the side, and the picture is washed out then what’s the point?

Thanks

I don't own a 900H, I'm here to investigate alternates to OLED. Does this Sony have it such that each input type gets it's own settings: SDR, HDR, DV, so you have to save a separate setup for each of those plus any game vs. movie modes, such as on an LG I have one setup for gaming in HDR and another for watching movies in HDR.
This might provide some insight:
Yes it does

Motion Flow settings

Make sure motion is set to custom and smoothness at min and clearness to 2. See how that looks. This is my preferred settings and I'm happy with it.
Thanks! I've just applied your settings to every app and input. Actually, I chose Clearness 1, to preserve more brightness.
Your tip is of the three most useful I've read in the X900H forum. And I've read every post.

Reactions: srozzo2

Some of the people in my house sit not directly in front of the TV, off to the side, and if the picture is washed out then what’s the point?

Thanks

Thanks
Several pages back there are images that try to show the effect at different viewing angles. I don't own this tv yet so I can't speak to that directly, and there are no reviews out yet that have actually gone to the effort of determining when that viewing angle can become significantly less. Personally though, if all of my seating options were off angle to the tv, I would not buy this set, especially not if it were also my main tv. IPS tvs, like the LGs you speak to, do have better viewing angles and worse blacks/contrast. So, since IPS is unacceptable for me, I would consider either the 950H or an OLED specifically a Sony too since I appreciate this year's model more than the LG (see youtube channel hdtvtest for the reviews and comparison by Vincent Taoh). Good luck with your hunt.

I looked up your avr and it includes upscaling processing. Does it offer the option to turn it off? Some avrs do offer the option but still do some processing though. Since the Marantz doesn't do 4k, your best option is to connect everything directly to the tv and let it do the upscaling.

I'm just wondering if the handshake issues that persist are related to the age of the avr being used. Also, I hope this problem is being reported to Sony via a complaint. I don't know if it would help but reporting issues that can be resolved by the implementation of that missing option of Smooth Gradation might at least make them consider adding it if there are enough complaints. This is another reason why I hope @D-Nice reviews this model- professionals like him are often heard more clearly and loudly than the average buyer.

What is the best way to connect my cable box and Marantz SR6006 receiver? The receiver can do 1080P pass through and supports ARC. I had originally connected the cable box to the receiver and then had the receiver out to HDMI 3 on the TV. I switched the setup to having the cable box go to HDMI 1 on the TV and have an HDMI cable from the ARC on TV to the ARC on the receiver. The sound setup works and I think I see a slightly cleaner picture while watching cable TV. Is connecting the cable box directly to the TV and using the ARC channel to the surround sound the way to go to get the best picture performance?
Yes

I looked up your avr and it includes upscaling processing. Does it offer the option to turn it off? Some avrs do offer the option but still do some processing though. Since the Marantz doesn't do 4k, your best option is to connect everything directly to the tv and let it do the upscaling.
It does give the option of turning it off but who knows if it doesn't affect it. To me the picture seems more crisp, sharper going straight into the TV from the box. I figure the less signal interruptions the better. I am using monoprice 48gbps cables in anticipation of getting the new Xbox or PS5. The receiver is about 10 years old, will be upgrading hopefully by the end of the year.

I'm just wondering if the handshake issues that persist are related to the age of the avr being used. Also, I hope this problem is being reported to Sony via a complaint. I don't know if it would help but reporting issues that can be resolved by the implementation of that missing option of Smooth Gradation might at least make them consider adding it if there are enough complaints. This is another reason why I hope @D-Nice reviews this model- professionals like him are often heard more clearly and loudly than the average buyer.
After changing out my cables to 8K/48Gbps, I’m convinced it’s a cable quality issue.
Even though my previous cables were “18Gbps” premium 4K, I just don’t thinks there’s been enough high quality material to cause an issue. Sort of like a not enough water pressure to test the quality of a hose but here not enough data pressure to test the quality of the cable. Now that data is available and revealing weak spots.

For me, my AVR and sources have been more than capable, but the cables weren’t despite their “premium 4K” claim. I think many others might be hitting this problem if they haven’t recently purchased cables. Seems to me that some of the premium claims just skidded through because the really couldn’t be adequately exposed.

Some of the people in my house sit not directly in front of the TV, off to the side, and if the picture is washed out then what’s the point?

Thanks
watching an 85 since 6/11. My spouse sits 45 degrees and doesn't notice. I don't think it pops past 25-30 degrees. Still nice PQ, but washes out some - about what I expected. settings still pretty much out of the box though. fWIW.

2,541 - 2,560 of 40,825 Posts