AVS Forum banner
2,581 - 2,600 of 40,825 Posts
Ok, this TV is starting to drive me crazy with the soap opera effect. Every time I shutoff the tv for a certain amount of time, the soap opera effect is visible once the TV is turned back on. When I go back into the setting, it shows exactly where it was, so the setting has not changed but the TV acts as if it was. I have seen others complain about this, any thoughts or ideas on what to do? I chatted with Sony but that got me nowhere.

Ok, this TV is starting to drive me crazy with the soap opera effect. Every time I shutoff the tv for a certain amount of time, the soap opera effect is visible once the TV is turned back on. When I go back into the setting, it shows exactly where it was, so the setting has not changed but the TV acts as if it was. I have seen others complain about this, any thoughts or ideas on what to do? I chatted with Sony but that got me nowhere.
Hey, I am having this exact same problem with the TV. I made an account here just to respond to your comment, and I have been posting about this problem on every reddit thread I can find. I have literally tried everything I can think of: factory reset, turning off motionflow on each preset mode, clearing cache/data, and much more with none of it working.

So far I am remedying the problem by turning everything to Game mode, because the problem doesn't seem to affect it or the preset modes that disable Motionflow. However, I still get the same problem with Dolby Vision videos since you can't turn them to Game mode! I am praying for a fix from Sony for this problem. I have the Costco model BTW.

Hey, I am having this exact same problem with the TV. I made an account here just to respond to your comment, and I have been posting about this problem on every reddit thread I can find. I have literally tried everything I can think of: factory reset, turning off motionflow on each preset mode, clearing cache/data, and much more with none of it working.

So far I am remedying the problem by turning everything to Game mode, because the problem doesn't seem to affect it or the preset modes that disable Motionflow. However, I still get the same problem with Dolby Vision videos since you can't turn them to Game mode! I am praying for a fix from Sony for this problem. I have the Costco model BTW.
I have Costco model also....hmmm

Discussion starter · #2,586 ·
Turn Motionflow Off and reboot the TV(Hold the power button with the remote)

Won’️t be going OLED for various reasons.

Why do you say LG LCDs are no good?
IPS and it's issues like glowing blacks.
the 2020 LG Nano 90's are actually much improved this year IMO (better dimming algorithms and power control).

For off-angle non-OLED's there's also Samsung's Q80T & Q90T which have a similar filter to the Sony's.
My brother has a 86nano90 and it's very impressive. Black are not very intense, but overall quality is very high

I think Sony claimed/quoted 300Mbps, but I can’t remember where I saw that. If I come across it, I’ll post it. I only use WiFi so I can’t say what the port does.
Standards based ethernet runs either 100M or 1G (bigger speeds arent worth quoting). If it connects at 1G than its actually 1G. No such thing as 300M. If you running diagnostics/app is advertsing and it peaks at at 300M than that is a function of tcp/ip firmware and the processor capable of encap/decap the packets. It also a function of the entire path to destination. Just because the router has a 1G interface there is buffering etc. that also needs to be factored in (i.e if there is packet loss due to overuns that means the tcp stack will request the packets again/udp will just drop and its up to the app to harmonise). Technically if layer 2 connects at 100M its actually 100M.

Also keep in mind whilst 100M is a standard the auto negotiation handshake is not standards based (@1G it is). Therefor you can end up with the speed at 100M but ethernet at one end could be half duplex whilst the other end defaults to full duplex. If you feel like its dropping frames(correct term for ethernet) than manually set both ends to 100M full duplex. My older LG LM 8600 could not hand shake properly (used a Cisco catalyst 3850 switch with all its diagnostics at layer 1 to verify). My Sony 930e is fine and if its the same chipset on the 900H fair chance it will be too.

To be blunt if your running 802.11ac for wireless you may benefit better from wifi.

I was going to get X900H (or XH90, as it's called in Europe), but am worried about nerfed grading and processing in general. I'm now considering X950G as it's considerably cheaper than last year, also $250 less than X900H for a 55". I game a lot, movies & Netflix are equally important. Also watch some TV, which is 720p/1080i at best here. What would you advise? :)

I was going to get X900H (or XH90, as it's called in Europe), but am worried about nerfed grading and processing in general. I'm now considering X950G as it's considerably cheaper than last year, also $250 less than X900H for a 55". I game a lot, movies & Netflix are equally important. Also watch some TV, which is 720p/1080i at best here. What would you advise? :)

Unless color banding as a major concern for you I see no reason why not to get the 900H especially if gaming is one of your primary uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to get X900H (or XH90, as it's called in Europe), but am worried about nerfed grading and processing in general. I'm now considering X950G as it's considerably cheaper than last year, also $250 less than X900H for a 55". I game a lot, movies & Netflix are equally important. Also watch some TV, which is 720p/1080i at best here. What would you advise? /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
I would go with the 55” or 65” 950G considering it’s an (mostly) all around better tv than the 900H and doesn’t take the contrast hit a 55” 950H does with its X-wide filter. The hoopla over HDMI 2.1 is a little overblown considering there won’t be a single AAA game on next gen consoles that will hit 4K/120fps, maybe Indies but who buys the latest and greatest to play Indies. VRR is nice and all but Sony is supposedly considering adding this feature to the 950G/H. Also you can install 950H’s firmware on the G for better motion/local dimming.

KD65XG9505 or KD65XH900?

Obviously the XH90 is newer, but think the XG950 was/is a step up in model terms.

This will be our main TV, first 4K one. General viewing for all types. Sit straight on and at an angle of maybe 35°

Thanks

SOE keeps returning

I mentioned yesterday that I adopted you're recommended motion settings in modified form, setting Motion Smoothness to 0 and setting Motion Clarity to I rather than 2. Even so, my wife complained of soap opera effects (SOE). At her request, I've set motion clarity back to 0. She isnt bothered 24p judder, but she is extremely bothered by even the slightest degree of SOE.

950G vs. 900H (XG950 vs. XH900)

KD65XG9505 or KD65XH900?

Obviously the XH90 is newer, but think the XG950 was/is a step up in model terms.

This will be our main TV, first 4K one. General viewing for all types. Sit straight on and at an angle of maybe 35°
Get the 65XG9505 but install the 65XH6505 firmware from USB; as discussed in the 950G forum, you'll get an XH6505 with slightly less effective speakers. I would have gone with the G but my wife wanted the built-in tuner for future broadcasts.

I mentioned yesterday that I adopted you're recommended motion settings in modified form, setting Motion Smoothness to 0 and setting Motion Clarity to I rather than 2. Even so, my wife complained of soap opera effects (SOE). At her request, I've set motion clarity back to 0. She isnt bothered 24p judder, but she is extremely bothered by even the slightest degree of SOE.
Had this same issue but think it has been resolved. Have onkyo sr444 avr with everything going thru it. When using set i was only using External outputs like roku and xbox. Each time I turned on tv motion came back even tho says it is off. After I went into internal apps on tv like vudu I noticed all setting for motion were back on. Same when I tried dolby vision. Its like the tv has presets for each one but after turning off motion in each one as long as I turn off and on tv with tv remote no motion issues come back so far.

Get the 65XG9505 but install the 65XH6505 firmware from USB; as discussed in the 950G forum, you'll get an XH6505 with slightly less effective speakers. I would have gone with the G but my wife wanted the built-in tuner for future broadcasts.

Not sure I’d mess with the firmware to be honest, forgot about the speakers. Does the newer XH90 have much better speaker system? It has the extra tweeters I believe. I’d be using the TV speakers for now, so would like decent speakers

I have my cable box plugged directly into the TV so I already eliminated the AVR. Last night was watching Disney+ and this morning I turned on the TV and it was still set to Disney+, would think it would turn on the cable box but anyway, when I exited to the TV, soap opera effect was there. I used the cable box remote to turn on the TV but the Sony remote to back out of Disney+. Not sure why using the Sony remote would matter but I'll try that next time.

Not sure I’d mess with the firmware to be honest, forgot about the speakers. Does the newer XH90 have much better speaker system? It has the extra tweeters I believe. I’d be using the TV speakers for now, so would like decent speakers
Both the XH9005 and XH9505 have speakers that are more "dimensional" than the speakers on the XG9505. Probably not clearer, and still lacking in bass, but more realistic.

I forgot that that was another big reason I chose the 900H. My wife won't let me use external speakers.
You can find speaker demonstration videos in the X900H playlist found in my signature block.

2,581 - 2,600 of 40,825 Posts