AVS Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 8733 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
SOE keeps returning

Ok, this TV is starting to drive me crazy with the soap opera effect. Every time I shutoff the tv for a certain amount of time, the soap opera effect is visible once the TV is turned back on. When I go back into the setting, it shows exactly where it was, so the setting has not changed but the TV acts as if it was. I have seen others complain about this, any thoughts or ideas on what to do? I chatted with Sony but that got me nowhere.
I mentioned yesterday that I adopted you're recommended motion settings in modified form, setting Motion Smoothness to 0 and setting Motion Clarity to I rather than 2. Even so, my wife complained of soap opera effects (SOE). At her request, I've set motion clarity back to 0. She isnt bothered 24p judder, but she is extremely bothered by even the slightest degree of SOE.

·
Registered
180 Posts
950G vs. 900H (XG950 vs. XH900)

KD65XG9505 or KD65XH900?

Obviously the XH90 is newer, but think the XG950 was/is a step up in model terms.

This will be our main TV, first 4K one. General viewing for all types. Sit straight on and at an angle of maybe 35°
Get the 65XG9505 but install the 65XH6505 firmware from USB; as discussed in the 950G forum, you'll get an XH6505 with slightly less effective speakers. I would have gone with the G but my wife wanted the built-in tuner for future broadcasts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ok, this TV is starting to drive me crazy with the soap opera effect. Every time I shutoff the tv for a certain amount of time, the soap opera effect is visible once the TV is turned back on. When I go back into the setting, it shows exactly where it was, so the setting has not changed but the TV acts as if it was. I have seen others complain about this, any thoughts or ideas on what to do? I chatted with Sony but that got me nowhere.
I mentioned yesterday that I adopted you're recommended motion settings in modified form, setting Motion Smoothness to 0 and setting Motion Clarity to I rather than 2. Even so, my wife complained of soap opera effects (SOE). At her request, I've set motion clarity back to 0. She isnt bothered 24p judder, but she is extremely bothered by even the slightest degree of SOE.
Had this same issue but think it has been resolved. Have onkyo sr444 avr with everything going thru it. When using set i was only using External outputs like roku and xbox. Each time I turned on tv motion came back even tho says it is off. After I went into internal apps on tv like vudu I noticed all setting for motion were back on. Same when I tried dolby vision. Its like the tv has presets for each one but after turning off motion in each one as long as I turn off and on tv with tv remote no motion issues come back so far.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Get the 65XG9505 but install the 65XH6505 firmware from USB; as discussed in the 950G forum, you'll get an XH6505 with slightly less effective speakers. I would have gone with the G but my wife wanted the built-in tuner for future broadcasts.

Not sure I’d mess with the firmware to be honest, forgot about the speakers. Does the newer XH90 have much better speaker system? It has the extra tweeters I believe. I’d be using the TV speakers for now, so would like decent speakers

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have my cable box plugged directly into the TV so I already eliminated the AVR. Last night was watching Disney+ and this morning I turned on the TV and it was still set to Disney+, would think it would turn on the cable box but anyway, when I exited to the TV, soap opera effect was there. I used the cable box remote to turn on the TV but the Sony remote to back out of Disney+. Not sure why using the Sony remote would matter but I'll try that next time.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not sure I’d mess with the firmware to be honest, forgot about the speakers. Does the newer XH90 have much better speaker system? It has the extra tweeters I believe. I’d be using the TV speakers for now, so would like decent speakers
Both the XH9005 and XH9505 have speakers that are more "dimensional" than the speakers on the XG9505. Probably not clearer, and still lacking in bass, but more realistic.

I forgot that that was another big reason I chose the 900H. My wife won't let me use external speakers.
You can find speaker demonstration videos in the X900H playlist found in my signature block.

·
Registered
180 Posts
backlit remote now available in USA

The North American Sony backlit remote, RMC-TX611U, is now in stock at Encompass for $108 plus $8 shipping plus state sales tax. It's made for the 900H, 950H, 950G, and higher 2019 and 2020 models. I just ordered mine. https://sony.encompass.com/item/12571036/Sony/1-005-041-11/

·
Registered
92 Posts
Turn Motionflow Off and reboot the TV(Hold the power button with the remote)
I did a factory reset from the TV menu and didn't work. I unplugged the TV per the Sony on-line help and nothing worked. I'll try via the remote.
I read an earlier post that someone fixed the problem by using the includedbSony remote instead of his receiver's remote. I too have been using my Amazon Fire TV's remote to turn on and off the TV, so I will try to use the Sony remote exclusively and let you know if it fixed anything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I read an earlier post that someone fixed the problem by using the includedbSony remote instead of his receiver's remote. I too have been using my Amazon Fire TV's remote to turn on and off the TV, so I will try to use the Sony remote exclusively and let you know if it fixed anything.
Thank you

·
Registered
681 Posts
Standards based ethernet runs either 100M or 1G (bigger speeds arent worth quoting). If it connects at 1G than its actually 1G. No such thing as 300M. If you running diagnostics/app is advertsing and it peaks at at 300M than that is a function of tcp/ip firmware and the processor capable of encap/decap the packets. It also a function of the entire path to destination. Just because the router has a 1G interface there is buffering etc. that also needs to be factored in (i.e if there is packet loss due to overuns that means the tcp stack will request the packets again/udp will just drop and its up to the app to harmonise). Technically if layer 2 connects at 100M its actually 100M.

Also keep in mind whilst 100M is a standard the auto negotiation handshake is not standards based (@1G it is). Therefor you can end up with the speed at 100M but ethernet at one end could be half duplex whilst the other end defaults to full duplex. If you feel like its dropping frames(correct term for ethernet) than manually set both ends to 100M full duplex. My older LG LM 8600 could not hand shake properly (used a Cisco catalyst 3850 switch with all its diagnostics at layer 1 to verify). My Sony 930e is fine and if its the same chipset on the 900H fair chance it will be too.

To be blunt if your running 802.11ac for wireless you may benefit better from wifi.
As I mentioned, I only use the wireless. Have dedicated WiFi channels for my AV and other entertainment so speeds never been an issue. I avoid Ethernet mostly because it’s a 50-ish foot run from my router.

I also tend to use wireless whenever possible because seems like wireless tech advances more methodically and quickly than wired.

·
Registered
681 Posts
The North American Sony backlit remote, RMC-TX611U, is now in stock at Encompass for $108 plus $8 shipping plus state sales tax. It's made for the 900H, 950H, 950G, and higher 2019 and 2020 models. I just ordered mine. https://sony.encompass.com/item/12571036/Sony/1-005-041-11/
These should be priced lower. My old Harmony remotes can all control this TV, and you can easily get them for $50-100 depending on the model. Sony should have put better remotes in these TVs from the start. They are not that expensive to manufacture.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Afterall 75x900h stays and 65b9 is going back.

75X900H only after a day of testing lost its battle with 65B9 OLED and it is going back to Costco Canada. Overall I hate to say but I'm disappointed. I had no issue with screen uniformity, DSE or blooming.
However IMHO the picture was dull overall and it lacked a punch. Even my wife (who is not picky at all) noticed this right away. I've tried content from 480i to 4k remux rips. I honestly hoped Sony will blow LG OLED out of the water in upscalling and brightness, but it didn't. Also B9 doesn't exhibits any banding issues, although it is not as good as C9/CX OLED. Even with burn-in scare, I couldn't justify going with 900h. Please do not get me wrong, it is nice set but when it comes to PQ, B9 is just on another level.

Ok.... apologies for my quick reaction and jumping to the conclusion. Again OLED when it comes to PQ alone is better. Also due to smaller size 65 OLED will look nicer than 75 LED when watching lower rez content. After playing with x900h for the last 2 days, mostly native apps (plex for 4k remux rips, youtube, iptv smarters, kodi) the TV really grew on me. The uniformity is very good and so MUCH better than on my retiring 70w850B, which suffered with halo effect from the day 1. I've watched a lot of soccer feeds (1080 / 720 at 25p ipv) without any issues. The green soccer grass just like hockey rink can very easily reveal DSE and screen uniformity. For motion I'm using custom settings with 1/1 and so far I really like it. As for bending issues (aka Marocco 8k HDR) I really haven't experienced anything major. A lot of IPTV I watched was 1080 or 720 at 25p and I haven't noticed anything. Same goes for blooming, nothing to report. I'll be happy to return OLED because of burn-in and telling my wife and kids DO NOT DO THIS or THAT.... not anymore :) I'm again very surprised with viewing angles... not near OLED good, but much better than on my old 70w850b. Another bonus having x900h is a little future proof with full hdmi 2.1 support and ATSC 3.0 :p. I just mounted it on PERLESMITH universal TV stand rated for 70" / 99lbs TVs. The stand looks sharp and very sturdy. I had to buy it to avoid changing my current narrow TV stand. Also I've installed LED accent lights on the back to help with blacks and add some accent. I'll be post some pictures, once I get OLED packed and x900h sit in its place :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
The hoopla over HDMI 2.1 is a little overblown considering there won’t be a single AAA game on next gen consoles that will hit 4K/120fps, maybe Indies but who buys the latest and greatest to play Indies.
Dirt 4 is already confirmed to have a 4k120 mode and more will follow. Full HDMI 2.1 also makes it possible to have 60 Hz 4:4:4 HDR. And on PC only the sky is the limit for FPS. :)

VRR is nice and all but Sony is supposedly considering adding this feature to the 950G/H. Also you can install 950H’s firmware on the G for better motion/local dimming.
"Supposedly" adding a new feature to EOL product? Doubtful.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The hoopla over HDMI 2.1 is a little overblown considering there won’️t be a single AAA game on next gen consoles that will hit 4K/120fps, maybe Indies but who buys the latest and greatest to play Indies.
Dirt 4 is already confirmed to have a 4k120 mode and more will follow. Full HDMI 2.1 also makes it possible to have 60 Hz 4:4:4 HDR. And on the PC only the sky is the limit for FPS. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

VRR is nice and all but Sony is supposedly considering adding this feature to the 950G/H. Also you can install 950H’️s firmware on the G for better motion/local dimming.
"Supposedly" adding a new feature to EOL product? Doubtful.
Literally just read that Dirt 4 will offer 120fps at a reduced resolution. 10/12 tf will not get you to 4K/120fps. Keep dreaming..

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/dirt_5_on_ps5_will_have_an_option_for_120_frames-per-second

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...asters-dirt-5-can-run-120fps-xbox-series.html

The Xbox X will be upscaled.

Besides I hardly consider a Dirt game AAA class

Good luck spending over 2 grand to run that on PC. Hardcore pc gamers will not use consumer grade TVs, the input lag and response times are much too high.

The 900f was EOL’d earlier this year due to its 5/6 year old Mediatek soc. The G/H use a newer Soc that will be supported at least another 2/3 years. In other words it’s not EOL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Literally just read that Dirt 4 will offer 120fps at a reduced resolution. 10/12 tf will not get you to 4K/120fps. Keep dreaming..
Well you're probably not going to get much true 4k AAA titles at any fps. There's heavy focus on different techniques for using reduced and even dynamic internal rendering resolutions and the output is scaled to 4k. Quoting pure TF numbers isn't that smart either, but it's safe to assume there will be many smaller games that could be rendered in true 4k120 if someone decided to do so.

Good luck spending over 2 grand to run that on PC. Hardcore pc gamers will not use consumer grade TVs, the input lag and response times are much too high.
I'm a hardoce PC gamer and I use TV for some games, 240 Hz gaming monitor for others. Not all games require the best possible performance. And over 2 grand? Ha. Ha. Ha.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,619
I was going to get X900H (or XH90, as it's called in Europe), but am worried about nerfed grading and processing in general. I'm now considering X950G as it's considerably cheaper than last year, also $250 less than X900H for a 55". I game a lot, movies & Netflix are equally important. Also watch some TV, which is 720p/1080i at best here. What would you advise? :)
Read through the thread and look at the pictures.

HDR gaming,Dolby Vision Netflix and UHDBR movies don't exhibit banding.
The X900H loses the added processing feature of Smooth Gradation a feature that no gamer should be using and is recommended by Vincent Teoh to be turned Off with Dolby Vision content as well.

The feature is helpful for lower quality content(works wonders for my Z9D)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,620

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/07/dirt_5_on_ps5_will_have_an_option_for_120_frames-per-second

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.te...asters-dirt-5-can-run-120fps-xbox-series.html

The Xbox X will be upscaled.

Besides I hardly consider a Dirt game AAA class

The 900f was EOL’d earlier this year due to its 5/6 year old Mediatek soc. The G/H use a newer Soc that will be supported at least another 2/3 years. In other words it’s not EOL.
I will keep dreaming and expect some 4K/120 games.
I expect most to be 1440p/120 upscaled to 4K.
Gran Turismo is AAA and the dev wants it to run @240fps so at the least it will be 120fps.
Do you think COD won't have 120fps options in a year or 2?

I am a PC gamer and enjoy the low input lag of this TV..
It's excellent in fact.

2601 - 2620 of 8733 Posts